Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego factory mistake.

thehoarderthehoarder USMember Posts: 91
hey all I was wondering who else has gotten factory mistake Lego items like misprints, incorrect instructions, molding mistake, Etc.. 
I have a few and will post pics later. can you please post pics of yours? Thanks. I can not wait to see what might come up in this thread.

Comments

• DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 623
    Long Shot moulding error on 1x1 Trans Clear Modulex bricks.

thehoarderdmcc0GothamConstructionCoBaby_YodaKoolbrix2018
    @DeMontes also is the 2x2 Lego I do not see the Logo?
    Yes It came in a Minecraft set that I opened, it's been through Instagrams 'filter' but it's definitely LEGO just fainter than normal due to the size of the short shot on it.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,714
    DeMontes said:

10/10 for the way of displaying that short shot!

thehoarderAstrobricksDeMontesMynattdavetheoxygenmanM1J0EKoolbrix2018HugeYellowBrickGallandr

There was a fun one on the forum a while back that was a 'bad haircut' belonging to @myscrnnm from the CNY set.  

thehoarderandheMr_CrossLittleLoriBaby_Yodaakunthita
    also I love that hair! do you own it?
    It belongs to another brickset person, I just mentioned it as they pointed it out on a different thread and it is a fun one.
    thehoarder
    edited July 2019
    and the new LEGO® Creator Expert 10269 Harley-Davidson® Fat Boy®  sticker sheet unfortunately spells Milwaukee-Eight incorrectly :-) 

thehoarderklintondatsunrobbieBaby_YodaM1J0E
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,208
    I had a 1x1 round plate that seemed to only have half the amount of plastic in it shortly after I came out of my dark age around 2011. At first I thought it was a new sort of peice, but i probably chucked it in the trash.
    thehoarder
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,666
    @DeMontes what's surprising about that mistake is how few reviewers noticed it.
    thehoarderDeMontesMr_CrossKungFuKennyM1J0EBrickByBrickCapnRex101
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,634
    Did Lego say anything about it? Other than 'oh bugger!' ;)

Still, at least it'll be easier to rectify than brick printing. I'm guessing once they start printing the correct spelling on the sticker sheets, they'll make them available via customer services to anyone who wants a replacement.
    thehoarder
    They did with the BTTF SHEILD prints.
    thehoarder
    CCC said:
    Yes that's the most infamous one I remember, and the numbering on the box of Steam Willie of course. :-) 
    thehoarderdmcc0gmonkey76
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 743
    ^That hair error actually looks good though, doesn't it?
     I could do with a few of those myself.
    DeMontesgmonkey76Baby_YodaBumblepantsAstrobricks
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,448
    ^^ Would they offer a new box if you asked for one though? :D
    Astrobricks
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 509
    In the US bricks made before 1972 were molded by Samsonite.  Samsonite's quality was well below Lego's.  Short shot and long shot parts are much more common with Samsonite elements.  I don't know how many short shots I've gotten over the years but they are more common in my collection than long shots. 

Lego would also sell Samsonite worn out molds.  Samsonite would then refurbish the molds and continue to use them.  This is were you get oddities with the logo.  Samsonite used the open O on it's brick early now before switching to the modern logo.  So @thehorder's first red brick is most likely molded the early or mid 60s.  As the molds are used the logo starts to wear and gets weaker.  Lego replaces the molds before this becomes to noticeable.  Samsonite would refurbish them.  This is where you get a mix of strong logos, weak logos, odd angles and mixed logos with Samsonite bricks.  It's not uncommon to find 1x6 and 1x8 bricks that have alternating open O logos and closed O logos.

I was recently pointed to this Flicker account with a great documentation of the 2x4 brick.  Here's the Samsonite subsection.  It documents a bunch of the logo variations of the Samsonite era.

I'll have dig my collection of error bricks.  Most are Samsonite, but a few are modern. Check this thread out for more details.  Error bricks are like error coins.  They get made but most never made it out of the factory.  One of my favorite modern errors is this melted brick.

madforLEGOLittleLorigmonkey76davetheoxygenmanM1J0EpxchrisakunthitaDeMontes
    DeMontes said:
    CCC said:
    Yes that's the most infamous one I remember, and the numbering on the box of Steam Willie of course. :-) 
    I think one of the most obvious mistakes was with Pirate Chess Set #40158. The box art was changed with no fanfare and not many people seemed to even notice. In fact... the image on Brickset is still the original erroneous set (where the black square is on the right).
    LittleLori
    I think one of the most obvious mistakes was with Pirate Chess Set #40158. The box art was changed with no fanfare and not many people seemed to even notice. In fact... the image on Brickset is still the original erroneous set (where the black square is on the right).
    Oh I didn't know about that one.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,954
    DeMontes said:
    CCC said:
    What did they fix? Just the box, or both the box and instructions?
    Given that hardly anyone notices it, I imagine it is one of the least obvious mistakes unless you play chess seriously. I think many people bought those as minifigure and parts packs and couldn't care less. I bought quite a few for the large plates when LEGO got rid of them cheap.
    ^ Yeah - that set was insanely good value for all the minifigs and 16x16 plates even before Lego started selling it at a discount. I got one of each version but only got round to opening one of them (not sure which).
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 580
    I got this in my #75192 last week. 
    DeMontesLyichirAstrobricksBaby_YodaLittleLori
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 594
    I still think this is a good one, the SWMF1 from Target in 2017, they even made the mistake twice, once in the outer package, and again on the instructions:

Millennium 

^Plus... isn't putting a transparent rod into a transparent round brick an illegal connection? I may well be wrong about that, but I thought they'd bond together too tightly.
    It may well be that such rules don't apply as it is not officially a LEGO set.

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,954
    ^ Chuck Norris doesn’t need no eyes, nose, or mouth to sense the world - just his beard ;-)
    gmonkey76Baby_Yodadonutboysid3windrstluxSumoLego
    Not a factory mistake, but couldn't they have found a better picture of Jyn for the Lego Shop at Home site????

Koolbrix2018
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 686
    edited July 2019
    ^nope, not possible, that is the best picture that's ever been taken
    FowlerBricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,909
    ^ Chuck Norris doesn’t need no eyes, nose, or mouth to sense the world - just his beard ;-)
    Chuck Norris is Force.  And he's Delta Force as well.
    Astrobricks
    SumoLego said:
    Chuck Norris is Force.  And he's Delta Force as well.
    Delta force ... I sense a disturbance in the force (probably one for the physicists and mathematicians).

SumoLego
  • darthlewis20darthlewis20 west sussexMember Posts: 11
    Had some tiles 2x2 in grey dudds which split and sign type 2x2 with verticle pole
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 871
    Holy necro Batman! Came across this short shot just now in a sealed Bionicle 8713. Funny thing is, the item isn't even in that set's inventory - at least according to Peeron (BL doesn't have one and Lego's is incomplete).