Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Stranger Things General Discussion

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,247
    ^ Children aren't the most graceful of Lego handlers, unfortunately. I'm sure the same would happen to any set with that level of interactivity.
    gmonkey76LyichirAanchir
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 647
    They let people handle the models in store? My Lego Store has them all in plexi cases. There are bins of bricks for kids to play with, but the display models are all 'hands off'. 
    Aanchir
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,459
    ^My store built two. One for the display case, and one for hands-on. Never saw the show but will probably pick it up and just use it as two houses.
    klintonnychromastone
  • nychromastonenychromastone The Empire StateMember Posts: 157
    ^same here at the Rock Center store. I stopped in after work last week and participated in the build for the customers to experience up close. bummed that I missed out on building Hopper’s truck.

• icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited May 27
    Finally done! And SOO tirred! When I saw Lego relasing its first Stranger Things teaser, I had no clue about this series, but have now finished binging my way through the first two seasons. What a blast! Loved the series and so understand that they picked it for a Lego set. Its fun, '80 themed and cool. It caters to all us parents. And the whole series is a great metaphore about growing out of childhood innocense. 

Now about this amazing LEGO theme/set:

1) Why is the demogogon a minifig? Sure I love any minifig i can get hold of, but this one is kindof very cute. The set asked for someone to try to brickbuild a larger terrifying version,right? 
    2) Why is the Bayer Castle not a polybag for us to buy? Exclusive? Really, why, Lego, why?
    3) I need to find my lightbrick and see if something can be made with that and the wall... When I get the set. And get some sleep. 

Now - time to catch up after a few way to short nights! Thanks for the ride Netflix.

mattytreksSumoLego
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 735
    icey117 said:
    Finally done! And SOO tirred! When I saw Lego relasing its first Stranger Things teaser, I had no clue about this series, but have now finished binging my way through the first two seasons. What a blast! Loved the series and so understand that they picked it for a Lego set. Its fun, '80 themed and cool. It caters to all us parents. And the whole series is a great metaphore about growing out of childhood innocense. 

Now about this amazing LEGO theme/set:

1) Why is the demogogon a minifig? Sure I love any minifig i can get hold of, but this one is kindof very cute. The set asked for someone to try to brickbuild a larger terrifying version,right? 
    2) Why is the Bayer Castle not a polybag for us to buy? Exclusive? Really, why, Lego, why?
    3) I need to find my lightbrick and see if something can be made with that and the wall... When I get the set. And get some sleep. 

Now - time to catch up after a few way to short nights! Thanks for the ride Netflix.

Even with the demogorgon being large and scary, in many scenes it IS still a person in a suit. So perhaps it was deemed "close enough" to regular human scale to use a standard-sized fig for. There's also the matter of it fitting in the house, which might have been tricky if it had been substantially larger.

Aanchiricey117stluxCrownieBaby_Yodagmonkey76SumoLegoFizyx
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,083
    As long as it didn't look like a brick-built Groot - I'm happy.

Also, the Castle Byers will be very much available at building events at the LEGO Retail Stores.  (I'll only pay $25.00 for two stickers and an instruction sheet...)
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 148
    SumoLego said:

Also, the Castle Byers will be very much available at building events at the LEGO Retail Stores.  (I'll only pay $25.00 for two stickers and an instruction sheet...)
    1.) is this for all US LEGO retail stores, and 2.) what day/time will sign up for the event will be, and 3.) when will the actual build event be?
  • TozisTozis United KingdomMember Posts: 6
    I have this set too. Looks really great. Maybe someone know where i can buy Lights for this set?
    Interview excerpt with the ST set Designer Justin Ramsden:

https://mojo-nation.com/lego-designer-justin-ramsden-giving-stranger-things-brick-treatment/

“And are there plans for more Stranger Things LEGO sets down the line?”

“At this point, we’re focussing on this first set. We’ve worked with Netflix previously on their own content and our own content, so it made sense that we celebrate their main show, Stranger Things. Our set champions the series, and that’s why we went all in on this one. As for future projects, I can’t comment!”

About as diplomatically non-committal as one can get when presented with a question like that.

Bottom line, I want more ST sets! :)
    Baby_Yodapxchris
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 346
    SumoLego said:

1.) is this for all US LEGO retail stores, and 2.) what day/time will sign up for the event will be, and 3.) when will the actual build event be?
    I got an email this morning saying that there will be a Castle Byers build on June 25th. 
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 800
    SumoLego said:

I got an email this morning saying that there will be a Castle Byers build on June 25th. 
    And for once it's not for kids 6-14!
    SumoLegomattytreksgmonkey76
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 800
    If you guys are interested in the mini-build, I suggest signing up asap.  Our local store had 45 slots total, and we weren't able to get there till ~4pm today... and they were already half gone. 
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,336
    Okay, I'm caving and getting the set (mostly because my wife is letting me). Now to figure out where best to put it in my collection. :D
    BumblepantsSumoLego
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,302
    I want it mostly for the mini figures.
    dannyrww
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 801
    After watching the latest season, I now have a strong inexplicable urge to buy the set, if only so I could spend time with my favorite characters once more.
    SumoLegomustang69
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 406
    I re-watched seasons 1 & 2 about a week ago but haven't had a chance to start season 3 as my wife still wants to catch up too. After watching season 2 again I would really love if they did an upside down version of the arcade. They could do the same as the current set and have the right side up and the upside down version or just do one build where you add some elements to make it look like the upside down version. As long as they do another set though, regardless of what it is, I'd be happy. (hopefully I wont have to eat my words)
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 93
    Ok... having stated earlier in the thread that I'd never heard of the show, thanks to the wonders of the World Wide Wasting Time, I've now binged all 3 seasons. Affirmed fan, keener than ever for the set. Next cab off the ranks methinks...
    Interesting. The general attitude of this forum to Stranger Things has gone from, "Never heard of it, don't care," to, "I just watched all three seasons in one hit," with just a few short weeks and one awesome set.
    BumblepantsPyrobugdavetheoxygenman560HeliportFizyx
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,889
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Interesting. The general attitude of this forum to Stranger Things has gone from, "Never heard of it, don't care," to, "I just watched all three seasons in one hit," with just a few short weeks and one awesome set.
    A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
    mustang69davetheoxygenmanBaby_YodaFizyx
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,885
    Netflix is a helluva drug
    SumoLegoPyrobugPolyphemusBaby_Yoda
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 486
    Netfix!
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 735
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Honestly I expect that was what Lego was hoping for with the release of the set coming shortly before the hotly anticipated (and highly promoted) third season.
    AanchirBaby_YodaLittleLori
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 338
    edited July 6
    After watching 6 of the 8 episodes for season 3 (so no spoilers please, watching the rest today). I want to revisit my previous comment about whether this set falls under the "kid friendly" umbrella that Lego (historically) went for. All I can say, is the ONLY difference between Stranger Things and Freddy, Jason, Michael Myers, etc is the sexual content. Yes those older films DID have nudity, etc in them. So I can understand a company like Lego not wanting to associate with them. Other than that though, I see NO difference in gore, horror, etc than what is on Stranger Things, or even something like IT for that matter. 

Don't get me wrong, I would REALLY like it if Lego embraced horror more. I'm just really confused on where the line is. What's considered ok and what is not? On Stranger Things they curse, has gore, terror, etc. Same as with IT or Aliens. How is Aliens ANY worse than Stranger Things? Yet the chances of an IT or Aliens sets are not even remotely possible. I just don't get it?
    PyrobugSumoLego
    I don’t get it either, @CaptainPirateMan.  The announcement of this set was met with both excitement as well as bewilderment.

I think the right sort of property has to come around that really strikes a chord with children but technically is not intended for children.  Stranger Things perfectly fit that bill.  Time will tell if we see more ST sets, or if another similar property draws the attention of LEGO.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,459
    edited July 6
    I bought the set because I wanted to use it as two houses. Decided to watch the show after. I don't think the season theee is as good as the others.
    gmonkey76 said:
    I bought the set because I wanted to use it as two houses. Decided to watch the show after. I don't think the season theee is as good as the others.
    I was debating on displaying as two separate houses as well, but ultimately caved to the awesomeness that is conjoining them together :)
    Fizyx
    Don't get me wrong, I would REALLY like it if Lego embraced horror more. I'm just really confused on where the line is. What's considered ok and what is not? On Stranger Things they curse, has gore, terror, etc. Same as with IT or Aliens. How is Aliens ANY worse than Stranger Things? Yet the chances of an IT or Aliens sets are not even remotely possible. I just don't get it?
    Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't do some kind of Aliens set. A brick-built Xenomorph, a few human figures and maybe a Predator or two surely wouldn't be too far out of Lego's policies. It's all guesswork, really.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,175
    ^ I think Mega Construx has the license for Aliens.
    I just don't get it?
    It's public perception and whether it shows up on the radar of parents groups or stirs up some sort of controversy in the media. 

Batman, Iron Man and Darth Vader all have a teflon coating when it comes to objectionable content for LEGO.  Is there really any difference between Venom and Deadpool?  Venom sets abound, but Deadpool is taboo.

However, something as pedestrian as Shell garnered protests and a response from LEGO.  I often cite this example to illustrate the disjointed hysteria and uber-political correctness when it comes to certain groups protesting certain products. (And that applies to just about every single-issue protest group, no matter where on the political spectrum.)  LEGO should have a natural partnership with Shell.  They're both petroleum products.

As an aside, I read a story that some group wanted to protest Pixar and Disney for 'romanticizing' the oil industry by plastering 'Dinoco' all over their various movies.  Which is funny, because they're actually paying homage to Sinclair Oil.  Which kinda went away in the late '60's, but is now a brand primarily in the Western US.

Stranger Things in particular is geared towards those of us that grew up in the '80's.  It's very much a Goonies-style adventure with a more monstery feel.  Because it's familiar territory for parents, it seems to stay off of the radar when it comes to LEGO controversy.

I expect that whatever the next controversy that LEGO becomes unwittingly embroiled in will probably result in some resolution that makes little sense.

Nonetheless, I must admit I made a special purchase to get one of these - the novelty of the set was irresistible!
    BumblepantspharmjodbluedragonBaby_YodaLittleLoriFizyx
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,485
    Agree with @SumoLego... If you are middle-aged ST feels like home. Can I go back to the 80's please?
    PJ76ukRichmannn1SumoLegomustang69mattytreksBaby_Yoda
    TheFew said:
    Can I go back to the 80's please?
    Well, let's not get crazy.  Not to sound like an Inspirational Cat Poster, but now is the greatest time to be alive.  I'd rather wax nostalgic about the '80's than live in that era again.

Objectively - some of the worst music, terrible fashion, and despite romanticizing the movies, really, really bad visual media.

And there was a portal to an alternative universe opened in Indiana, and a bunch of monsters ate people.  And Steve Guttenberg.  You can't ignore the irrational popularity of Steve Guttenberg.
    mustang69AanchirpharmjodBaby_Yodagmonkey76bgl_84dmcc0pxchrisFizyx
    SumoLego said:
    TheFew said:
    Can I go back to the 80's please?

Objectively - some of the worst music, 
    I’d much rather have the hair metal and power ballads of the 80’s than some of the crap we have now, the rest I agree with though.
    oldtodd33datsunrobbieCaptainPirateMan
    edited July 7
    mustang69 said:
    ...than some of the crap we have now...
    Jeez, we're treading into 'get off my lawn' territory.  But to put a fine point on it - if a song doesn't actually have anybody playing an instrument in the physical reality features heavily altered vocals... then it's not music.  It's just noise.  

And I was really referring to the synthesizer-based garbage.  And maybe a little bit of Disco.

(I'm a bit torn, because Europe's Final Countdown is one of my favorite albums.  But anyway, we all get the point.  Flock of Seagulls is an assault on the ears.  Let's not forget Falco, Starship and that beyond awful Eddie Murphy song.  That garbage can go toe-to-toe with whatever drivel is being released nowadays.)
    gmonkey76
    Sorry, was really just being playful. But I do prefer 80s (and 70s and 60s) music more than current music.
    SumoLego
    edited July 7
    mustang69 said:
    Sorry, was really just being playful. But I do prefer 80s (and 70s and 60s) music more than current music.
    I was as well.  I'm very cranky, as I like organic music from instruments!

And I think I garbled my previous post.  To be clear - I don't like most modern music as most of it lacks the necessities of music - singing and playing instruments.
    Pyrobugmustang69davetheoxygenmandatsunrobbie
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,885
    SumoLego said:.
    Objectively - some of the worst music,
    Bite. Your. Tongue.

Objectively... You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    SumoLego
    edited July 8
    Objectively = Based on my Subjective Opinion

Duh.

-Led Zeppelin IV playing in the background.  Soon to be followed by Journey and later some Glen Campbell-

I would like someone to put up a worse song than 'Party All The Time'.  It's not possible.
    pharmjodBaby_Yodagmonkey76davetheoxygenmandmcc0Fizyx
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,485
    SumoLego said:

I'm a bit torn, because Europe's Final Countdown is one of my favorite albums. 
    There was a whole album about Brexit in the 80's? Does that mean Back to the Future was real?
    omniumgmonkey76dmcc0SumoLego
    TheFew said:
    There was a whole album about Brexit in the 80's? Does that mean Back to the Future was real?
    I think you're confusing that with Yakety Sax.
    gmonkey76
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 336
    What's wrong with Party All the Time?  
    SumoLego
    (The video has three guitar players in the background.  But there is not one note or chord played on an instrument in the entire song.)
    dmcc0
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 756
    Just searched for Party All The Time as I had no idea what it was....Kinda glad my work PC doesn't have speakers! (but I'm still going to check it out when I get home obviously)
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 338
    edited July 9
    MOST 80s music was AWESOME. Yes garbage DID exist, but overall it DOMINATES just about every other decade. 

I could go on and on about the HUGE albums from that decade pop and rock. I love 50s, 60s, 70s, and 90s as well. But if push comes to shove, I'll take the 80s. 
    tomahawkerpharmjod
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 900
    Just watched Party All The Time. I can't stop thinking it's a Flight of the Conchords song.
    SumoLego
    The phone number on Murray’s phone is a real number and has a prerecorded message which is hilarious. 
    Jern92
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 801
    starfire2 said:
    The phone number on Murray’s phone is a real number and has a prerecorded message which is hilarious. 
    Someone shared it on Youtube too. I wonder what it was that Murray wanted to tell Joyce.
    Maybe what REALLY happened to Hopper?!?