Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How many sets do you own?

1235»

Comments

• M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 440
    A couple of people have posed the question of "What is a set".  I have a number of different standards for what I consider a set.

I believe the most crucial item in addition to having all the pieces for a set is the building instructions as this is what identifies the set and sets it apart.  In some cases, the instructions are the "set" such as #6861 - Blacktron Super Vehicle and #6862 - M-Tron Super Vehicle which were unique set numbers but were built by combining parts from 3 other sets.  

On a similar note, it is sometimes the packaging which defines a set as in the case of the various bonus packs which have been produced over the years.  ie if you have #1499 and #1498, do you also count #1510 as one of your unique sets.  In this case I'd say that having the packaging is essential to count having #1510 as a set 

The only exception I make to the above 2 guidelines is if there are unique elements or printed parts that exist in only 1 particular set. A good example of this is #106 Unicef Truck, where the printed side panels are what defined the set and it is difficult to find one with instructions and near impossible to get one with the box.

Where things can get confusing is when the same set was released in different markets with different set numbers.  ie #928 Galaxy Explorer and #497 Galaxy Explorer, identical except for the numbers on the packaging and instructions.  In this case I would count it as 2 different sets.  I'm not sure of the best way to count sets which have regional packaging variants, but still have the same set numbers. Personally, I only count them as 1 unique set.

As others have mentioned, I also consider baseplates and parts packs as sets, but only if they have the packaging with them as that is what identifies them.    
    Wow thanks for a lot more than I ever thought on considering a set!  I adn’t thought at all of items where the set itself might be instructions to combine other sets (but have it’s own set number), or be a multi pack of smaller sets put together with a unique set number!  Proof there are no hard & fast rules for sure.  
  • VeeborgVeeborg CroatiaMember Posts: 9
    About 130 myself. Half of them small ones, half of them big ones
  • SighSigh CanadaMember Posts: 3
    im at 400 including polybags and dimensions
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 696
    There is 2 schools of thought about that subject in our household..there is mine and my sons and theres my wife's.Can you guess what they are?;-)
    LittleLori
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 128
    @redarmy -if it is like my house - not enough(my son and me) and too many(my husband)!
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 696
    @redarmy -if it is like my house - not enough(my son and me) and too many(my husband)!
    Exactamundo!
    dmcc0LittleLori
  • awahl211awahl211 Boston, MAMember Posts: 6
    I apparently only own 41 sets according to my brickset inventory! Definitely seems like more, but I do get a decent amount of lose bricks from PAB.
  • BrooklynAgeBrooklynAge NYCMember Posts: 3
    I figure using the database is helpful for my homeowners insurance, so I track anything that has a record.  I used to use Excel until I fond out about Brickset and Rebrickable, 6 months ago.  (yeah, I'm slow)

And like others, when I get the complete CMF, it becomes one item as the series and then I'll track duplicates individually.  I don't try and boost the set count - I enjoy my horde for my own guilty (very guilty) pleasure.

Came out of my dark age in 2015 when I saw 60013.  Then, Force Friday sucked me into "just a few sets".  Well....I'm up to 1956 total sets, 1385 individual (ranked 781), and 670,060 pieces.  I hate you ebay!  (shh...I love you ebay)  
    Koolbrix2018LittleLori
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    It's been about over a year since I've updated my sets on brickset and Brickpicker.  I liked Brickpicker in the beginning,  but it seemed that it hasn't been updated for a while.  I've been slowing down over the last year+ buying sets.   Hate to say it, but I've lost the Lego bug.  Even with wanting to slow things down, I purchased both on Saturday and Sunday just for the free promotion Space Rocket Ride sets.
    oldtodd33
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 430
    Looks like I've lost sets since posting here back in late April, but I dont mind cuz it's all due to trading for Technic sets.
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 269
    The only answer that truly matters is simultaneously too many and never enough. ;)
    klintonMaffyD
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 478
    The only answer that truly matters is simultaneously too many and never enough. ;)
    Right?

I just looked at my 'collection analysis', and it's not nearly a high as I expected (thankfully). 321, of which 97 are CMFs. I'm in 16 338e place for 'set collection'. Like, I don't even want to know what kind of Lego warehouses the people at the top of that list live in. Do they just furnish thier homes with brick built... everything? Have they built entire wings onto thier houses to accommodate it?  I have less than 100 sets currently built up, and the rest are all stored away... and it still takes up an entire room. 

But, yes, there is always at least 'a couple more' sets out there that you just need to get. 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    I have 219 sets overall, 215 unique, ranked only 23,576th. I remember when I started recording on Brickset just a couple of years ago it was only in about the 120's. Which makes sense, given that nearly half of my collection is from 2017 or later! I blame this site for ramping my Lego addiction.

Though Star Wars is obviously my biggest theme at 40 sets, I'm surprised to see CMFs (which I get as a novelty but don't collect) and Ninjago (haven't touched it since 2014) as my 2nd and 3rd. That's probably attributable to the fact I've moved onto fewer, larger sets over time. In fact, ranking by parts, Creator Expert is my second biggest and Minecraft is my third; by value, they swap places. That sounds more accurate.

I'd be interested to hear what others are getting for their most part dense and most valuable themes.
    SumoLego
  • ChromideChromide Ssi-ruuvi ImperiumMember Posts: 52
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I have 219 sets overall, 215 unique, ranked only 23,576th. I remember when I started recording on Brickset just a couple of years ago it was only in about the 120's. Which makes sense, given that nearly half of my collection is from 2017 or later! I blame this site for ramping my Lego addiction.

Though Star Wars is obviously my biggest theme at 40 sets, I'm surprised to see CMFs (which I get as a novelty but don't collect) and Ninjago (haven't touched it since 2014) as my 2nd and 3rd. That's probably attributable to the fact I've moved onto fewer, larger sets over time. In fact, ranking by parts, Creator Expert is my second biggest and Minecraft is my third; by value, they swap places. That sounds more accurate.

I'd be interested to hear what others are getting for their most part dense and most valuable themes.
    Pretty easy for me, 341 of 350 sets are Star Wars. One ideas set, the ship in the bottle, one space set (#6915) and then seven collectible minifigs.
    Baby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    ^ Wow! Wish I could be as focused as you. I kind of feel like I need to 'try out' every new theme that catches my eye, even if there's a hundred sets that rank higher on my wish list.
    ChromideBOBJACK_JACKBOBtallblocktoo
  • ChromideChromide Ssi-ruuvi ImperiumMember Posts: 52
    Yeah, I do have some Creator Expert sets and other space subthemes like Galaxy Squad or Space Police III on my wishlist though. I'm definitely planning on getting that Friends set as I'm a fan of the show.

Though yeah my main focus is Star Wars and hopefully I'll own every set one day (right now I do not particularly 'want' all polybags, buildable figures, juniors sets or mini sets so don't include those on my wish list).
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 81
    I was all SW and Saturn V for my first couple years out of the dark ages. Then I made the mistake of splurging on some really good deals on Creator Expert and Architecture skylines and a few Brickheadz. That may have been a giant mistake, because now I have quite a variety, although still heavy SW:

237 total: 104 SW, 39 Brickheadz (includes a number of duplicates that will probably be gifts to others), 10 Ideas, 9 Creator Expert, 8 Architecture, 7 Wizarding World, and handfuls of others, including complete sets of the following CMFs: Simpsons 1 & 2, TLM2, Disney2, Wizarding World.

My [email protected] wishlist is ~25 deep right now, but I probably won't end up with all of those. My Brickset "wanted" list has 102 on it, but MOST of those are long retired and I will never even give any consideration to buying at current prices.
  • Brixfan02Brixfan02 USAMember Posts: 162
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 309
    Brickset says I own 785 items, 542 of which are different.  Honestly that seems low.  I think I need to do an inventory.
  • brickventuresbrickventures New YorkMember Posts: 24
    No dark age for me, never played with Lego when I was a child due to economic reason.  Started collecting 2013 after helping my son build some of his Lego presents.  According to Brckset, I  now own 616 sets, 522 different.    Out of those, I only built 124 sets.  So I have been slowing down with buying this year and trying to focus instead on building.  
  • typotypo Member Posts: 185
    102 different sets...120,992 pieces.
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 461
    Standing at 648. 

Number reports as 1152 due to all the CMFs (apart from Mr Gold)

Considering I shed the majority of my Lego SW sets, I'm still surprised at the number I have!
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 236
    I believe it's about 47 or so total, 4 are unopened, 3 displayed at the moment. Most of them were put together then torn down to make giant MOCs, so most of them are in large masses of pieces or making up my newest creation ;) 
  • weaselkingweaselking Member Posts: 61
    Site says 655, but I know some of those are CMFs (of which I am very inconsistent in updating). Doesn't look like the query functionality has a way to do sealed? I'd guess maybe 20% of the non-CMFs has been opened.
  • AHermitWhoDoesLegoAHermitWhoDoesLego EnglandMember Posts: 4
    edited June 27
    Sold a few star wars sets once i broke into the top 10k in sets owned. 

Sets: 443 items, 390 different
    Ranked 10608th

I got back into lego brought everything i have ever liked and now i am on a budget (well trying to be). Narrowed my interests down to some ninjago, some space and making a lovely underwater lego theme overs the years collection.