Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Bi-monthly Builiding Challenge June-July 2019: Mosaic

stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
Let's get a new building challenge started, with something I don't think we have done before: mosaics!

When visiting Lego events, I always marvel at the mosaics created by fellow AFOL's. Below is my single attempt at building one so far:

Every contest needs some rules, so here we go:
  • Your model must be built for the contest, not an existing MOC.
  • No theme limitation.
  • 48x48 maximum footprint.
  • Digital entries are welcome, however in case of a tie the jury might attribute bonus points to the physical model.
  • You can use either plates, tiles or bricks - and no need for them to be all 1x1's.
  • Two photographs per entry only to ensure the thread still loads. However feel free to upload any extra images to Flickr etc.
  • You can enter as many different models as you like so long as you make a separate post for each.
  • Closing date is July 31.

The prize: Something from my stash of polybags or GWP - an up to date wanted list makes things easier for me ;) 

Any questions? PM or leave a message below.

Looking forward to your entries!

BumblepantssnowhitieFowlerBricksbandit778TheOriginalSimonBBaby_YodamsandersjnscoelhoGothamConstructionCodmcc0vizzitorSpeedman29J0rgenLittleLoriBrainsluggedsid3windrMr_CrossSirBen

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,809
    Oooh a new challenge! Thanks for starting something up.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,270
    Woo hoo.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,601
    This counts as a mosaic, right? It's a Totem Of Undying from Minecraft. As of the time of its building, there was nothing like it to be found on the internet. It's 3D and built using mainly 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, and 1x4 bricks.

Mr_CrossBumblepantsBaby_YodaTheOriginalSimonBmsandersLittleLoriGothamConstructionCosnowhitiebandit778
    Oh whoops @stlux. I didn't read the rules well enough--my entry was an existing build made as a gift for a friend, so count that as an example mosaic instead.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 978
    @bandit778 that is brilliant.
    bandit778
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,918
    Thanks @Mr_Cross.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,572
    ^ Surely the score should have been 0937
    560HeliportPJ76ukBaby_YodaTheOriginalSimonBgmonkey76LittleLori
    ^Of course. I am an idiot!
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    @TheOriginalSimonB You're allowed to resubmit with the better score ;)
    Genius 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,266
    I was confused for a bit.
    Baby_Yodasid3windr
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 407
    I still am!
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    edited August 2
    Wow! My son would love that. I would have to do the other members plus maybe Bumblebee or Terra to even it out. In fact, if you have a parry count or Bricklink list you'd be willing to share,  I'd greatly appreciate it. 
    Congrats to the winners.  Well deserved both.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,809
    Love both entries too, great adjudication 😁
    Congrats @bandit778 and @Brainslugged!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,918
    Thanks very much @stlux, chuffed to bits that I joint won.

After my initial post, I was a bit disappointed how much it would cost to actually build this so I went back through the design, changing as many of the plates as I could to basic bricks to try and reduce the cost as I really fancy having a real life version of this hanging up at home.

Below is the revised result.

Doing it this way nearly halved the price of the design.

For our gracious host (and anyone else who fancies it), 
    A link to download the .io file from Bricklink 
    (I did try to directly link the file to my post but the forum wouldn't allow this file type so uploaded it to Bricklink instead).

TheOriginalSimonBLittleLoriMr_Cross
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 772
    Thank you so much @stlux! If anyone's interested, I made a similar one a few years ago. Unfortunately that currently resides in a storage locker in Los Angeles, hopefully not coming to an episode of Storage Wars soon.

Here's that one:
    And from the front:

stluxbandit778GothamConstructionCoLittleLoridmcc0Mr_Cross
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,459
    ^Really cool concept! I zoomed in on the picture and finally get how it works. Pretty awesome!