Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

SDCC 2019 Exclusive Minifigures/Sets Discussion

Comments

• FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 451
    ^^^ At least you don’t have to add international postage and import duty on any SDCC exclusive.. You have it easy on that side of he pond ;) 
  • todlertodler UK - South WestMember Posts: 21
    Well, I actually like the set so if anyone gets one and wants to pass it on cheap let me know ;0)
    No chance of me getting to SDCC but did get to a couple of SW Celebrations but still missed out on the exclusives
    BrickByBrick
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,514
    Is it just Carols torso that's exclusive..  saw someone else elsewhere mention an exclusive recolour? 

I'm sure firestar toys or another company will reproduce the exclusive torso print. An exclusive part colour is another issue.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 701
    Is it just Carols torso that's exclusive..  saw someone else elsewhere mention an exclusive recolour? 

I'm sure firestar toys or another company will reproduce the exclusive torso print. An exclusive part colour is another issue.
    The only thing close to an exclusive recolor that I see is the Trans. Dark Blue Nexo Power tile, which has only previously appeared unprinted in a Toys R Us make-and-take set (though printed versions are so plentiful thanks to both the standard Nexo Knights sets and Nexo Power packs that it'd be no sweat to get one and remove the print).
    Aanchir
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,250
    Pitfall69 said:
    I think in honor of Stan Lee, they need to release a minifigure of him and all his cameos from the MCU.
    "Are you t.tony s..stank?"
    SumoLegoPitfall69Aanchir
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,250
    Yahoo announced the first SDCC exclusive, a Capt Marvel set (also on the brickset.com home page)
    SumoLego
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,354
    @mattytreks

"It's as if thousands of entitled Brickset members suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." - Auggie "Ben" Doggie 

...or just a bad headache.
    mattytreksBaby_YodaGooker1
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 110
    @Pitfall69 that, or resentment could building up until it reaches a boiling point :)
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 416
    Shib said:

The comments that really make me laugh are the "I'd buy this instantly if it was a general release" type comments. No you wouldn't, you'd moan about the price or think I'll wait for a discount then get grumpy if you miss it. 
    THIS! I literally think exactly this, every time I see one of those comments!

The guy all enraged that he can't get the Maria(sic) Rambeau figure is def my favorite comment. Clearly he's a huge fan, completely gutted by her exclusivity. :p 

mattytreksBumblepantsBaby_YodaBrickByBrickPitfall69Aanchir
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 515
    It's the gotta catch 'em all mentality that I don't get. Someone even said that they don't like the Captain Marvel set but they have to get it as they have all of the other SDCC sets. Buying for the sake of buying just sucks all enjoyment out of a hobby imo. 

I'm a big Iron Man fan and have all but three of the figures, one of which is the NY Toy Fair exclusive, but I'm perfectly happy knowing that I'll likely never own it. And if I ever do, it'll become the highlight of my collection, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. 

As for the comments about the ill will generated by con exclusives, I'd imagine that 99% of Lego customers aren't aware of these sets, so the impact on Lego is minimal. 
    SumoLegoPitfall69Keilup
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 585
    edited June 18
    It's nothing new.  They've been having exclusives since 2008.  That's more than 10 years of them having something unique at the show whether it was packaging or minifigs yet we all go through the same thing every year w/ comments regarding it's unfair or whatever.

And like @mattytreks said it's still not even a guarantee attendees are able to get this w/ the second year of raffles for exclusives.

For those that complain about the cost of these exclusives on the secondary market, please remember this.  Tickets to the show cost almost $300 for every day plus preview night.  Hotels can run from $200-300 a night depending on where you're staying.  That's nearly $1500 already w/ hotels and badges for the duration of the con.  That's not counting the cost of food and travel whether it's gas mileage or airline tickets.  This is not a cheap event to attend, so buying an exclusive set for $100-$150 isn't horrible if you factor in what costs you'd incur if you were there.
    mattytreksBrainslugged
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 385
    Been casually following this and I have a stupid question: don’t we, as collectors, value at least some exclusivity or nah?
    I kinda do if I’m being honest. It’s a pain sometimes but it makes it a little more fun imo.
    If we are talking solely about affordability, I can’t afford to buy all the sets I want that are widely distributed anyway. There are going to be sacrifices regardless. 

mattytreksBumblepantsBrainsluggedKeilupSumoLego
    Back to the original topic at hand: feel like some Stan Lee figure or an Iron Man figure might be possible this year. Dark Phoenix? Or are we just going to get a Bob Ross Deadpool?
    kbw said:
    Back to the original topic at hand: feel like some Stan Lee figure or an Iron Man figure might be possible this year. Dark Phoenix? Or are we just going to get a Bob Ross Deadpool?

I could see a Bob Ross Deadpool, but I'd be really surprised w/ them doing DP 3 years in a row.  So I'm gonna say no on that one.  

Now if there ever was a Stan Lee minifig at SDCC there would be riots all over considering how iconic he is.  

It's generally split between Marvel/DC.  DC has had their CW characters represented consistently the past few years, so I'm gonna guess Batwoman.  

I can never guess Marvel b/c they're generally so all over the place.  
    kbw
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 701
    There's another factor that's potentially worth considering as well in the whole exclusivity debate—whether the Captain Marvel fig will even be exclusive at all. The Yahoo story announcing it doesn't specifically describe the figure as exclusive, raising the possibility that it might show up in a later set or promo as well (similar to the Ravager-uniform Rocket Raccoon who first appeared in the Rocket's Warbird event exclusive set before showing up in a much more widely distributed polybag set).
    vwong19BrickByBrickAanchir
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 690
    Pitfall69 said:
    Can we STOP with the flerken outrage over SDCC exclusives? I'm only commenting on this in particular because @mattytreks created the thread and he loves SDCC exclusives as much as I do. 

I don't think people realize that a lot of us in the US live nowhere near San Diego. I live 2,300+ miles away!!!! It would take less time for people to drive from Mexico City to San Diego than where I'm from in the US.  Even if I lived in California (California is a huge state) it would be a nice drive especially if I lived in San Francisco (8 hour Drive). You can say it is a "regional exclusive", but it's not, it's a Con Exclusive and not everyone can get a ticket to SDCC and even if you do get in, you aren't guaranteed any Lego exclusives. It's been said many times that it would actually be cheaper to buy the exclusives on Ebay than to go to SDCC and get the exclusives for most of us. 
    We'll have none of your common sense and rational thinking on here,thank you very much!
    560Heliportdmcc0
    ^I'm having an off day...
    560Heliportredarmygmonkey76Aanchirdmcc0
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,717
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^I'm having an off day...
    There's a ComiCon exclusive in Mexico City!  I read it on the Internet, it must be true.
    Pitfall69gmonkey76
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 772
    I read on the Internet that SumoLego read it on the Internet, so it must be extra true!
    Pitfall69SumoLegogmonkey76Baby_YodaAanchir
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 458
    Yep... that's a pretty darn cool one!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,646
    should be easy to reproduce on your own if you don't mind missing out on the 80 years sticker.
    mattytrekskbwBrickByBrickMr_CrossAanchir
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,629
    See this is what the marvel set should have been like. Great looking, would love to have but without exclusive figured. Although this does make me think the marvel fig might end up in a ploybag.
    BrainsluggedAanchir
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 56
    Wow is right. Immediate infatuation. Such a great set! 
    mattytreks
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 686
    Oh no...
    Great looking set!!!  Love the depth of this set!  Annoying that they're doing that lame artwork on the box, but at least it's the same theme w/ Capt Marvel. lol  

COME ON LOTTERY!!!!
    mattytreks
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,629
    edited June 19
    Guessing we will see the star wars set tomorrow.
    FireheartCM4S
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 388
    Wow.  Just wow.

Hands down, this is the greatest SDCC-Exclusive Set LEGO has ever produced (not hyperbole).  Ok the Action Comics Set was pretty darn neat, too...

I'm not going to SDCC but I demand that I be able to buy this set!!!  :)
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,162
    I like both sets. I’m glad Lego didnt do a similar cityscape set with Daredevil.
    SumoLegoCM4S
    ^Yeah, that's all we need is another "take my left kidney" set ;)
    mattytreksSumoLegogmonkey76johnhenz
    Pitfall69 said:
    I have none left after the sets from SDCC 2014 and 2015, sadly.  I’m now offering arms and legs.
    Baby_Yoda
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 690
    Pitfall69 said:
    I would also give them your left and possibly your right kidney to get my hands on that set!
    560HeliportPitfall69SumoLegogmonkey76BrainsluggedBaby_Yoda
    Pitfall69 said:
    I have none left after the sets from SDCC 2014 and 2015, sadly.  I’m now offering arms and legs.
    *Quickly pulls up a chart of how much body parts are worth on the black market
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    *Quickly pulls up a chart of how much body parts are worth on the black market
    Answer: not nearly enough to even procure a polybag...
    should be easy to reproduce on your own if you don't mind missing out on the 80 years sticker.
    Ironic.  We hate stickers.
    vwong19 said:
    I like both sets. I’m glad Lego didnt do a similar cityscape set with Daredevil.
    Hush!  But, yes.  I'd be spooning out @Pitfall69's kidneys for a Dardevil set.
    Pitfall69gmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 686
    ^And what does Tommy Elliot have to do with this set?  ;)
    jmeninno said:
    ^And what does Tommy Elliot have to do with this set?  ;)
    (I have to admit, I had to look that up.  Kudos on the obscure Batman villain reference.)
    edited June 20
    That Batman set does nothing for me. It's very well done and everything, but it's just so generic. It doesn't deliver any unique, desirable element (like, say, the Flerken build or the plane in the CM set). It's just Batman, on a rooftop. /shrug
    klinton said:
    That Batman set does nothing for me. It's very well done and everything, but it's just so generic. It doesn't deliver any unique, desirable element (like, say, the Flerken build or the plane in the CM set). It's just Batman, on a rooftop. /shrug
    For all the reasons you don't like it, I do.

This is the quintessential Batman scene: The Dark Knight -- called into action as the Bat-Signal pierces the night sky -- stands atop the skyscrapers of Gotham City, surveying potential crimes-in-action down below and ready to strike at a moment's notice!

First off, the yellow Bat-Signal set against the solid blue background is a simple but oh-so-effective technique...love the creativity there, and they even pulled of a bit of perspective with it, to boot!  The yellow translucent pieces meant to mimic a nighttime skyline are equally as simple but effective. And to top it off, absolutely love the gothic element that the gargoyles bring.

About the only thing lacking -- and I mentioned this earlier with the Captain Marvel set but to a lesser degree here -- is the box art.  We really were spoiled last year with the magnificent artwork.

For me this Batman set is a 9/10 (would have been a 10 if a Joker minifig were included/incorporated into the set).  Meanwhile, the packaging is a 6/10.

Put into SDCC historical perspective, the Batman 80th set creativity/fun factor is equalled (or possibly surpassed) only by the SDCC 2015 Action Comics #1 set.  I'd then give the nod for best box art to last year's SDCC 2018 Falcon Cockpit set.

Up next, the Star Wars set should drop this Friday (I'm predicting a set featuring Luke & Rey training on Ahch-To), and then...minifigures!

With no LEGO movie to promote next year, I still stand by my prediction that the third minifigure this year after DC/Marvel will be an SDCC Toucan minifigure to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Comic-Con.  Hey, never in a million years would I have thought Funko would produce an SDCC Toucan Pop, but they did just that with an announcement last week.  If LEGO follows suit in a similar tribute, that may very well become my favorite SDCC exclusive of all-time.
    gmonkey76vwong19ReesesPiecesFireheartpxchrismustang69Waterjedi17
    For all the reasons you don't like it, I do.

This is the quintessential Batman scene: The Dark Knight -- called into action as the Bat-Signal pierces the night sky -- stands atop the skyscrapers of Gotham City, surveying potential crimes-in-action down below and ready to strike at a moment's notice!

First off, the yellow Bat-Signal set against the solid blue background is a simple but oh-so-effective technique...love the creativity there, and they even pulled of a bit of perspective with it, to boot!  The yellow translucent pieces meant to mimic a nighttime skyline are equally as simple but effective. And to top it off, absolutely love the gothic element that the gargoyles bring.
    To each thier own, of course. The only draw a Lego Batman set could possibly hold for me is to offer something incredibly unique. I'm sick to death of Batman himself, but I keep getting (begrudgingly) suckered into buying variations of him and his various gadgets because the retail sets offer interesting side characters and/or locations. This offers nothing for me. I understand why Batman fans would like it, but I am def not one of those fans. I'm sure we'll be having a very different conversation next year if they offer a similarly bland Wonder Woman build to coincide with the film. :p

With no LEGO movie to promote next year, I still stand by my prediction that the third minifigure this year after DC/Marvel will be an SDCC Toucan minifigure to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Comic-Con.  Hey, never in a million years would I have thought Funko would produce an SDCC Toucan Pop, but they did just that with an announcement last week.  If LEGO follows suit in a similar tribute, that may very well become my favorite SDCC exclusive of all-time.
    I just really hope it's not a TLM2 minifig. If it ends up being say, Bruce Willis or Justice Ginsburg... I will need to own it. Pretty much anything else, I can live without. :p
    klinton said:

I just really hope it's not a TLM2 minifig. If it ends up being say, Bruce Willis or Justice Ginsburg... I will need to own it. Pretty much anything else, I can live without. :p
    I can see that as an exclusive, but would need to see how it turns out.  Who am I kiddin?  I'll have to get it anyways.

I would be surprised for them to have 3 minifigs this year considering the past two years have only had 2 minifigs.

Btw...how in the hell are people pre-selling the Lego exclusive set when the lottery hasn't happened yet.   SMH
    I assume the exclusive minifigs will be announced any day now, correct?
    kbw said:
    I assume the exclusive minifigs will be announced any day now, correct?
    Those typically reveal a bit closer to SDCC, usually 1-2 weeks prior – which means we should be no more than 2 weeks from finding out :)
    kbw
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,789
    One thing I think a lot of people really underestimate about event exclusives is how unlikely it would be for LEGO to produce a lot of this stuff otherwise.

When planning their product portfolio for any given year, LEGO pretty much tries to produce as many different products for mass retail distribution as they can. Likewise, they try to anticipate as best they can which themes, subthemes, and subject matter will be the best use of those SKUs.

As much as it sucks, that means some of the stuff that we AFOLs might love won't make the cut. It would have been amazing if there'd been enough demand for this Captain Marvel scene and Batman vignette to be sold at retail — but people already complain about LEGO making too many sets revolving around superheroes (Batman in particular).

And I think LEGO had a perhaps unfortunate but realistic expectation that subthemes starring extremely well known Marvel characters (such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America) could support a wider range of sets at retail than subthemes starring characters like Captain Marvel who mainstream audiences weren't as widely aware of or passionate about just yet, despite her being a pretty big deal in comics.
    mattytreksstluxBaby_Yodaklinton
    Gooker1 said:

Btw...how in the hell are people pre-selling the Lego exclusive set when the lottery hasn't happened yet.   SMH
    They do this every year in Hope's they snag a set or two. The thing is; they don't know what condition it will be in when they have it in hand. I had to cancel some Ebay orders here and there because the bubbles on the blister packs were crushed. That is why I now only bid on items that have a picture of the item in hand.
    Pitfall69 said:
    Gooker1 said:

They do this every year in Hope's they snag a set or two. The thing is; they don't know what condition it will be in when they have it in hand. I had to cancel some Ebay orders here and there because the bubbles on the blister packs were crushed. That is why I now only bid on items that have a picture of the item in hand.
    Totally agree.  The minifigs are more of a crap shoot b/c the bubble usually comes damaged when Lego gives it to you.  I've tried to swap w/ them, but they won't let me. :/