Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Palace Cinema (should I buy it?)

Koolbrix2018Koolbrix2018 North CarolinaMember Posts: 39
edited June 12 in Buying & Selling Topics
So I found a listing on Goodwill for the Palace Cinema, currently at $96 used, but everything appears to be there. That does not include shipping. I just wanted to ask you guys, do you think I should jump on it? The modular are probably some of my favorite sets of all time, although I know the Palace Cinema isn’t as good as some of the rest in certain areas. I don’t know, I’m kind of going back and forth on it, thinking of course I need to have this modular (I have always wanted to get every one), but I know there are also so many other great new sets coming out that maybe I should save the funds for them instead. This would not be my first modular as I already own 10243 and 10246, but I do think PC would make a great addition to them. Sorry to be so long winded!!

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,273
    Depends on what you look for in a modular. I too have #10243 and #10246, and I can assure you #10232 is more imposing and grand than either. However, it does lack the fun, intricate details that have become more common in Modulars recently. Its interior is pretty bare-bones and it only has two floors, but the exterior is fantastic and it's quite sizeable given its lower price. Also worth noting that it does include a limo, but it's quite mediocre.
    Koolbrix2018
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,034
    No.

If you have to ask others, then you don't care enough and should leave it for someone that really wants it. If you are wavering on $100 for PC, then you are unlikely to own all the past ones so don't get it for that reason.

Save your money for something you want.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,490
    Just to add that we discourage these 'help me make my mind up' discussions because ultimately only you can decide.
    gmonkey76natro220AstrobricksOubird
  • Koolbrix2018Koolbrix2018 North CarolinaMember Posts: 39
    edited June 12
    @Baby_Yoda and @CCC, thank you very much for taking your time to write me. @Huw, I apologize to have started this discussion - I'm still getting used to this forum and learning the rules. Once again, I apologize. 
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 354
    I like the PC, though yes, the interior is a bit bare bones compared to the newer models.  However, it isn't that difficult to mod a more intricate and detailed interior.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,490
    @Koolbrix2018, no worries!
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 339
    edited June 14
    I'm kinda the opposite, I feel like the newer modulars have to much going on, it makes them seem "busy" imo. I actually prefer the simple, yet elegant design of Green Grocer, Palace Cinema, Town Hall, etc. From Assembly Square on, they have been SO BUSY on the inside. It's just to much imo. Detectives office and Parisian Restaurant are a good mix imo. But from AS on, I honestly don't like those modulars all that much. I've actually passed on the last two, the diner and garage. 

Part of my thinking is, I LIKE customizing them. If they are 100% done, what's left to do? We built a whole inside for Cafe Corner, that was a lot of fun. Same for the Brownstone in the Pet Shop, we customized that as well. Cant do that with the newer sets. Well... You can, but its not in the same "spirit" as the earlier modulars.
    Bumblepantsoldtodd33gmonkey76
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 400
    ^ I also have the same feeling concerning Creator 3-in-1 houses. They use to bigger and more complex on the outside, but with less interior details, but now they're smaller and more filled inside. The former option gives one more play/customization possibilities. I mean, you can always customize as you please, but I think people we'll understand my point. 
    oldtodd33gmonkey76
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 526
    I say, "No" because I once bought a used two-thirds of a Palace Cinema with two out of three of the instruction manuals along with a large box of other late 90s Lego sets in decent condition all for $35 at a Goodwill. So $96 is a rip off. It isn't one of the better modular buildings, either.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,273
    ^ I'm afraid your fortune in coming across an incomplete copy of the set for cheap does not determine the market price of a complete copy. If you can direct the OP to such a deal, great, but I think this is a pretty decent find.
    Also, I don't think it's worthwhile debating whether the set is ultimately of good quality, because as @Huw said, only the OP can decide whether they like it. I think OP is instead wondering whether it's a good price for the set. As they said, they'll get it at some point, just wondering whether this is a must-buy price. Which it isn't, but I doubt you could find much lower online.
    bpk2300madforLEGOKoolbrix2018Redbullgivesuwindsid3windrnatro220
  • Koolbrix2018Koolbrix2018 North CarolinaMember Posts: 39
    edited June 15
    Just want to let everyone know that the listing I saw has ended. I guess I just wasn't  100% committed to buying it. 
    @Baby_Yoda:
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I'm sorry if I worded my original post too weirdly, but all I was really trying to communicate was if you all thought that was a good/decent price, (I wasn't really trying to discuss the actual quality and details of the set). 
    Thanks for your understanding!

Baby_Yoda
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.