Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    ^ I don't think that would work. This has the same deadline for all of them, and you can only pick one, whereas with regular projects, you can vote for as many as you want and they start and finish independent of each other. How would anyone know, for instance, if the project was 9,000 votes or just one vote off hitting 10,000 the week before it finishes? And you'd need to hide it from the creator, too, or they'd just post it themselves. Not to mention, these need to have the most votes, whereas projects need to have a specific number of votes, so it's not like voting for the most popular one ruins the chances of the others making it.
    AstrobricksAanchirLittleLori
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,576
    Of course, it is up to LEGO to decide what the rules of the game are.

Presumably they have changed direction enough now so that the reasons the ideas were rejected in the first place are now longer a problem, as all four are now pre-approved. They have stated that they will only make one set - so there may be the situation that two sets (or all four) this time are very popular with the voting public, but they should still only make one of them or break their own rules. There are pros and cons of blind vs public voting. This isn't an election, it is meant to be a competition to create a LEGO set. I think there would be more of a buzz if it was public, as this would generate more interest (discussion that idea1 is winning but idea2 is gaining fast, I'm holding off voting until near the end, etc) rather than putting in a blind vote and forgetting about it.

catwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,469
    I just vote for what I like when I see them and don't think much about it - the sets we get I then either buy or don't buy just like normal sets. If I believed that my vote really mattered then I'd get conflicted as on the one hand I'd love to have every idea translated into a set I could buy, but on the other hand there's money, or more to the point - its absence.
    pharmjodbandit778Baby_YodacatwranglerJern92
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,700
    I was hoping for the chemical plant but not surprised it didn't pass. Dinosaurs are interesting but it will likely be priced to where I am not going to bite. I wonder if they will make it where you can build only two or three dinos at a time and you have to disassemble some to build the others. The parts will all be the same color and that would keep the price down.
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,375
    I was hoping for the playable piano, so I’m glad to see they are still considering it. 
    pharmjodBaby_Yoda
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 712
    CCC said:
    Lyichir said:
    CCC said:
    dragon114 said:
    "Please note that the fan vote is a "hidden/secret vote", meaning you will not be able to see how many votes a given product idea has received. The final vote count will be revealed at the end of the voting period. "

Or in other words, we will decide which one wins. And they probably have already decided the outcome. It is VIP Top 5 Minifigures all over again.
    This is a really silly conspiracy theory. Just because they're not showing the vote counts in real time (a very good idea since showing the votes could pit voters against one another more directly as voters brigade for or against whatever is currently in the lead) doesn't mean they don't plan on honoring the results. As they've said about this event, these four projects have been selected because they have been pre-approved—none will pose any brand fit, design, or licensing issues that would prevent them from being produced. So there'd be no logical reason to falsify the results, since doing so would mean consciously choosing to produce a set that proved less popular than the one that actually won.
    And maybe they should do the same with regular IDEAS. Don't show any vote counts and only notify once they get to 10000.
    I think that's less necessary since the regular Ideas voting is less of a direct competition between sets. For that, knowing how many votes a project has is useful, especially for the creator (who can use the supporter count to gauge the popularity of their project and what level of additional promotion it might need to reach the next milestone). The supporter count also has a clear end goal of 10,000 supporters, rather than needing the vote count to outweigh those of other projects in the same review period.

There's still a little bit of a competitive element in the review period, of course, since even if every single project in a particular review period were deemed feasible and a good brand fit, Lego doesn't really have the resources to pass every project (and doing so would presumably cause a huge backlog of unreleased projects, extending the period between projects passing review and being released). But that stage of the regular review process isn't performed by the public and as such there's less chance of a visible vote count leading to a bitter rivalry between projects that could easily become toxic off-site.
    ^ Still, Ymarilego has been pretty unlucky with her submissions so far, which is unfortunate as I really like her building style. I'm not disappointed with the result, but I was really hoping for that or Food Stand Diners, which is designed by Kale Frost - the guy from Lego Masters and the winner of that Space GWP comp. Both would have been fun, but it's not like Lego can make everything all the time.
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 474
    I'm not really a dinosaur person, but I can certainly see why Lego chose that one over the other submissions. Every kid ever freaking loves dionsaurs. This is an easy sell to Lego collectors and families alike. 
    SumoLego said:
    I was hoping for the chemical plant but not surprised it didn't pass.
    I'm sure the LEGO PR Department had some input into the optics on that set.  Put that one on the shelf next to the Whale Processing Vessel, and the Deepwater Horizon Oil Drilling Rig.
    Well now I have more ideas for my Ninjago City!
    Baby_YodaSumoLegoJennigmonkey76
    klinton said:
    Every kid ever freaking loves dionsaurs.
    Especially dead ones.

There have been some pretty nice dinosaurs with skin on them too, but they didn't make it. Hopefully they will improve them a little - it would be good if they do name tags like in the birds set.
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 263
    CCC said:
    klinton said:
    Every kid ever freaking loves dionsaurs.
    Especially dead ones.

There have been some pretty nice dinosaurs with skin on them too, but they didn't make it. 

Aren't they all dead now!

I realise that you're probably talking about Ideas submissions but the second comment just sounds like a very sad reflection on history! ;)
    klintonBaby_Yoda
    :-)

Yes, I meant nice ones on IDEAS, but they didn't get chosen.

For me I can see why the Food Stand Diners wasn't chosen—it's a fantastic model, don't get me wrong, but it's also so conventional. Small food kiosks like those are a dime a dozen in themes like City and Friends, and while them being food-shaped is somewhat rarer (though not unheard of), that just isn't as novel as, say, an assortment of dinosaur fossils (the closest we've had in a set is the much smaller, simpler fossil in the Research Institute). And while the Food Stand Diners may be popular among FOLs due to the ease of fitting it into a city layout, it's much less likely to energize and attract new audiences than something Lego has barely touched on before. That's a big part of what the Lego Ideas program is for in the first place—identifying new directions for Lego to take with their products, to attract new or lapsed buyers. So while there's definitely an advantage to making a project "set-like" in its construction, play value, and scale, something that feels too much like it could be an ordinary retail set in an already popular theme probably isn't what they're looking for.
    pharmjodJennidougts
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,154
    I bought tickets for opening day, can’t imagine anything ever going wrong
    SumoLegogmonkey76560Heliport
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,777
    Shib said:
    I bought tickets for opening day, can’t imagine anything ever going wrong
    I'm waiting for the initial crowds to die down before I go.

(Waka waka waka!!)
    Lyichirklintonandhegmonkey76560Heliport
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,669
    SumoLego said:
    Gibbo1959 said:
    Aren't they all dead now!
    I saw this documentary about a company that was able to clone dinosaurs utilizing blood found in mosquitoes encapsulated in prehistoric amber.

I hear they have a nice theme park on an island off the coast of Mexico.
    You need to go a bit south, its off the coast of Costa Rica
    dmcc0pxchrisAstrobricksandhegmonkey76
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 487
    @SMC stole my retort to @SumoLego. My life is in shambles now.
    SMCpharmjodSumoLegoAstrobricksstarwars4evergmonkey76
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    I thought they were all Mexico down there... ;)
    SumoLego
    Mexico ends at penguins.  It's the southern edge of Earth, where the wall of ice separates us from space.

Duh.
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 263
    pharmjod said:
    I thought they were all Mexico down there... ;)
    Are you the guy that's been advising the White House? Which sort of brings it back around to dinosaurs....
    560Heliport
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 196
    The winner has been announced, and is perhaps a bit of a surprise;

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/a72d184c-db92-4372-a61a-2ac9608774df?fbclid=IwAR2I8_SNUQas1ErxkZpXT1dhhBb3D1E_YgF1nLTVerXHyEUsH64Si4KbAdo

So, is this a case of "yawn, yet another space set", or given how much love there is for classic space, the popularity of the theme is making a big comeback and maybe even never really went away? Personally, I'm a little "meh" about it - I'd have much preferred something unique like the SEGA arcade or Small Yellow win, but I can see the appeal.
    AyliffeBaby_Yodagmonkey76
    Between the outstanding success of the Saturn V, the apparent early success of the new Lunar Lander (at least based on reactions), and now this, TLG has to see that there is a sizable market for space sets within the AFOL community and even just casual hobbiests whom have an interest in space. I for one am all for it!
    I hope that the new City Space sets also sell really well! All positive in my mind.
    bpk2300dougts
    I'm really surprised that the wave of Disneyfans didn't create a tsunami of support for the Stitch buildable figure.  

It is very apparent that AFOLs love their space sets.  (I'm not sure where this one is going to fit - considering I haven't built my Saturn V and the Lunar Lander yet.  My #7471 Mars Exploration Rover is gathering dust on a bottom shelf somewhere...)
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76catwrangler
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, looking at that new brand store that is coming to Southampton by Christmas 2019 . . . .Member Posts: 135
    I'm happy with the result, space sets have floated my boat since Classic Space (how would anyone guess that . . . . ) so it is nice to see a small surge in them coming to the market!
    My major concern with the ISS is display-ability. This is going to be a really difficult one to reasonably display in my LEGO room even assuming that they do come up with a really good looking stand for it. I have a feeling I'll end up passing on it just for that reason. The saving grace for me on the Saturn V was that I could display it either standing or laying horizontally.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 309
    It'll be a pass for me, though I can certainly see the appeal.
    The thought of repeat building all the solar panels in that model makes me completely uninterested. 
    edited June 4
    I’m happy with it :)  I honestly doubt I would have bought any of the others. It will be interesting to see how Lego makes it strong enough not to sag under its own weight. I might decide to hang it from the ceiling for display.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,268
    I don't care much, didn't vote, will judge on the final model. already 843 bricks for microscale with super apparent technic bricks, not going to be a cheap one. and I'm not sure that's as iconic as the 2 other ones.
    Aaaand we’re back to differing notions of “iconic” ;-)
    560Heliport
    So we now have the whole Discovery line remade except a little bit bigger this time. For those of you thinking we get too many space sets in ideas I think you might get a break as most of the real world stuff has been covered now.
    SumoLegopharmjodBaby_Yoda
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    Thankfully. Unless they want to do a creator expert space shuttle. Which I actually wouldn't mind.
    SumoLegoAstrobricksBaby_Yodapxchris
    I wasn't expecting that at all. Surprised and glad that there's another product out there for fans of realistic space stuff, even if it's a pass for me.
    DB361 said:

So, is this a case of "yawn, yet another space set", or given how much love there is for classic space, the popularity of the theme is making a big comeback and maybe even never really went away?
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Classic Space. If anything, they are finding that realistic space is popular with adults and also non-traditional fans of LEGO - not Classic Space - and between real space, the semi-real space in City and fantasy / licensed space in SW, there is not room for Classic Space in the line-up, outside of token sets such as in The Lego Movie (2).

I'm glad the Sega ones didn't make it, as they would probably go for stickers. Similarly Little Yellow, just a load of boring yellow bricks. And it seems Disney fans didn't get behind Stitch, maybe there is too much other Disney stuff out at the moment to care.
    stluxBumblepantsAstrobricksgmonkey76MaffyDcatwrangler
    pharmjod said:
    Thankfully. Unless they want to do a creator expert space shuttle. Which I actually wouldn't mind.
    I'm absolutely ready for them to release a new CE Shuttle! #10231 / #10213 was pretty great, but there was also a lot of room for improvement especially now that we've had nearly a decade of parts and technique improvements (not to mention the fact that I missed out on it).
    bpk2300TXLegoguy
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    pxchris said:
    My major concern with the ISS is display-ability. This is going to be a really difficult one to reasonably display in my LEGO room even assuming that they do come up with a really good looking stand for it. I have a feeling I'll end up passing on it just for that reason. The saving grace for me on the Saturn V was that I could display it either standing or laying horizontally.
    Depending on how sturdy the final model is and how its weight is balanced, the ISS could be a great set to suspend from the ceiling using fishing line. That's what my dad did with #8480 and #6982 when I was a kid!
    pharmjod said:
    It's coming up on ten years since #10213/#10231 if LEGO decided to pick that for a future "Out of the Vault" set! Though I suspect that if they wanted to revisit the Space Shuttle in the Creator Expert theme, they'd be more likely to go for a total redesign like they did with the newer VW Beetle and Carousel sets.
    pharmjodLyichirgmonkey76pxchrisTXLegoguy
  • ersiersi SlovakiaMember Posts: 168
    edited July 5
    New lego ideas set comming in august, also do you have some info about lego ideas friends set?

Leaked image removed - CapnRex101
    edited July 5
    ^ This is a leak rather than official - it is on the leaks thread lower down.

Edit: leaks thread is here ...

ersi
  • ersiersi SlovakiaMember Posts: 168
    @CCC
    oh Im sorry, can someone remove it than?
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 392
    How long does it take for the review process once a set gets 10,000 votes?
  • typotypo Member Posts: 185
    That new Ideas set looks incredible.
    kbw said:
    How long does it take for the review process once a set gets 10,000 votes?
    The review periods are triannual (every four months) and the results from any given review are usually announced after the following period. So for instance, the last review results were announced in May and covered the projects that reached review between last September and early January of this year.

That's excluding projects that get held over from one period to the next, of course.
    AanchirAstrobrickskbw
    ^Thank you. Very helpful. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,461
    Am I going crazy? I can't seem to find any link with the projects currently under review. Or are there none right now?
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,461
    edited July 8
    Thanks @kbw! I feel like there used to be a quick link in the menu drop down. 

Admittedly, I just wanted to know the status of the last round of reviews from 2018. I desperately want the Playable Piano!
    kbw
    Haha.  There may be quick link somewhere.  I have been on these boards for a couple years, but I still feel very much like a noob.  
    I am keeping an eye on this next round. I really love the Pirate Bay thing, as I am a sucker for the pirate stuff.