Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Minions

dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
edited June 4 in Collecting
Minions is coming

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,589
    Some context would be nice.
  • dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,654
    Once upon a time I might have liked this but all the stupid memes have made me come to loathe all things minions. Will be interesting to see what they do with this. I suppose there is a movie coming it will launch alongside?
    starwars4everBludchylde1
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,215
  • PowderfingerPowderfinger SwedenMember Posts: 52
    New movie next year, could be some cool vehicles from this line.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,737
    Interesting - licensing with Dreamworks, Sony and Universal.  I suppose nothing should surprise me.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    My dream Minions set: a BB-8/Porg sized Minion eating a BANANA.
    SirBen
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    So this prediction was right, after 5 years ... :-)

catwranglerAanchirBludchylde1
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 652
    Maybe I'll find an unusual set on sale after the initial hype. Can't see it being something that's more than 1 wave. I mean, 4+ subtheming springs to mind. I actually really liked Despicable Me back when it was mainly about Gru and his daughters, but the Minions really get on my nerves (Minions film is a major low point, particularly as a British person). Gobbledegook = humour doesnt actually do it for me.

Still, saves me money and might give us new moulds - which is the more objective standpoint I suppose.
    MCNwakeboard
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    It does seem like the "cultural moment" for the Minions has long passed, so this is  interesting timing by TLG.  Then again we really didn't start seeing MCU sets until Avengers and IM3 and so I'm sure there are people that get paid much more than I do that know something I don't know.
    catwrangler
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,404
    ^ It's not just you. A two word title and half of the words are spelled wrong:(
    SumoLegobenbacardi
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 504
    I was even aware of the news from the Brickset front page, and yet when I saw the topic title, I wondered where someone heard Lego was doing a Minoan theme. I like my ancient Greek history as much as the next history buff, so I was immediately imagining a "Minos' Labyrinth" set with Theseus and Minotaur minifigures!
    560HeliportSumoLegocatwranglerBaby_Yodadmcc0
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 689
    Well, I'm disappointed.  I came here to read about the Minoins!
    SumoLegoJern92AstrobricksBaby_Yoda
    CCC said:
    So this prediction was right, after 5 years...
    Wow, look at the big brain on @CCC

In all seriousness, it is very important when unsubstantiated predictions are found to be coincidentally true... half a decade later.  Kinda...
    pharmjod
    jmeninno said:
    Admins - any chance we can correct the spelling on the thread title?  @Huw; @CapnRex101; @drdavewatford

Thanks!
    andhe
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,639
    So next year we are getting Minions and Brickheadz, hang on!
    pharmjod
    SumoLego said:
    CCC said:
    So this prediction was right, after 5 years...
    Wow, look at the big brain on @CCC

In all seriousness, it is very important when unsubstantiated predictions are found to be coincidentally true... half a decade later.  Kinda...
    It wasn't me.
    SumoLegopharmjod
    SMC said:
    So next year we are getting Minions and Brickheadz, hang on!
    Minions look pretty good as brickheadz, there are loads of MOCs of them.
    pharmjoddmcc0
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 194
    See unlike Angry Birds and Trolls where their heyday has long gone, new movie or not, I think Minions will still be quite popular alongside their new movie. Minions are a much more recent thing than the other two and will still be fresh in youngsters' minds when the new film and related merch gets released next year.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 421
    DB361 said:
    See unlike Angry Birds and Trolls where their heyday has long gone, new movie or not, I think Minions will still be quite popular alongside their new movie. Minions are a much more recent thing than the other two and will still be fresh in youngsters' minds when the new film and related merch gets released next year.
    Trolls is pretty perennial. They've been around since before I was born, with resurgent spikes in popularity every few years. 
    SumoLego
    I would almost make the same argument for Angry Birds.  There are always new kids entering the market - so Trolls, Minions and Angry Birds are definitely new to them!

(Kinda like a certain brand of highly sophisticated interlocking brick system.)
    Mr_CrossAanchirBaby_Yoda
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,589
    Oh no...I really hoped this was fake.
    I don't think any of us really care about themes geared toward entry-level LEGO customers.  
    stluxklintonBaby_YodatamamahmAyliffemustang69
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 549
    Minions CWF Series?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    It does seem like the "cultural moment" for the Minions has long passed, so this is  interesting timing by TLG.  Then again we really didn't start seeing MCU sets until Avengers and IM3 and so I'm sure there are people that get paid much more than I do that know something I don't know.
    In general I think LEGO prefers the risk of missing out on an IP at the peak of its hype if it means less of a risk that it'll crash before it even makes any lasting cultural impact. I mean, they signed on for Indiana Jones when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was coming soon, for Star Wars when The Phantom Menace was coming out, for Pirates of the Caribbean before On Stranger Tides , and for The Lord of the Rings right ahead of The Hobbit trilogy — none of which were as well-liked as the preceding films in those franchises had become by that time!
    By contrast, when they leapt on board with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Lone Ranger, it didn't go so well. Even though both were reboots/adaptations of established IPs, they didn't seem to resonate across generations in the same way as sequels or spin-offs of established movie franchises. It's that sense of safety and reliability that LEGO seems to cling to in their licensing decisions. After all, the whole reason they make licensed themes is the opportunity of being part of a pop culture landscape people are already engaged with, rather than having to engineer their own pop culture sensation from the ground up as with Bionicle or Ninjago.
    And even if a new movie in an established franchise DOESN'T do well, the marketing campaign surrounding it generally reinvigorates interest in its previous installments, which many people might have loved but not thought about recently or introduced to their kids. Better to be able to count on that moderate level of hype than to take a gamble on something that could be either a huge success that will be the year's hottest brand by Christmas, or a huge bomb that kids and adults will forget about in a month.
    I personally couldn't muster any real excitement for Cars 3, Incredibles 2, or Toy Story 4 despite having enjoyed some of their previous installments, and haven't yet mustered the motivation to even WATCH the first Trolls or Minions movie (even though I want to watch Trolls, having heard good things about it)… but I think LEGO is fairly justified in pursuing licenses for those films and not for riskier ventures like Coco (which managed to prove its worth upon release) or The Good Dinosaur (which… didn't).
    Lyichir
    edited June 4
    Disney plays an imminent role in pre-release or contemporaneous releases.  Other than ostriches and a pseudo-castle theme to Prince of Persia, I can't imagine LEGO was super-excited about an unknown IP.

It's clear LEGO likes to be out-front on monster IP, like Jurassic World, but they appear to be very picky on anything not kids-based or without a track record.

I'm very interested to see if we'll get some LEGO Avatar sets, once that marketing juggernaut starts to roll out.  I don't think we need remakes of Ferngully 2 and 3, but whatever.
    Baby_Yoda
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,317
    SirBen said:
    Minions CWF Series?
    Collectible Wide Figures?
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 681
    edited June 4
    Aanchir said:
    By contrast, when they leapt on board with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and The Lone Ranger, it didn't go so well.
    Maybe, but those Lone Ranger Lego sets were excellent.
    As far as Minions goes. It's another theme that i'll easily be able to ignore.
    gmonkey76
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 251
    How the heck are they going to do the actual Minion figures? The MEGA ones are much different, more articulated, and OBVIOUSLY don't use any part recognizeable on a minifig. And some parts (coveralls, eyes/goggles) are rubber. 
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    Yeah, not gonna lie, LEGO needs to go the angry birds route with these figures. Minifigure based minions will be terrible.
    SumoLegoCM4S
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,693
    A moulded head/torso piece like the Ewok/spongebob/etc figures seems like it would work. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    SumoLego said:
    jmeninno said:
    Admins - any chance we can correct the spelling on the thread title?  @Huw; @CapnRex101; @drdavewatford

Thanks!
    It was a pleasure.....
    stluxbenbacardiSumoLegopxchrisDoktorLAstrobricksklintonBaby_YodaMr_Cross
    SumoLego said:
    jmeninno said:

Thanks!
    It was a pleasure.....
    So now that is corrected, can we have the debate ...

Minions is coming
    Minions are coming

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 319
    CCC said:

Minions is coming
    Minions are coming
    Minions the theme is coming
    Minions the characters are coming?
    drdavewatforddatsunrobbieBaby_Yoda
    Minionses, they be here?
    datsunrobbieBaby_Yodagmonkey76
    From comments on some AFOL sites, I think it is: FFS, Minions.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    I miss LegoFan
    jmeninnoBumblepantsklintonBaby_YodaRonyargmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,654
    Pitfall69 said:
    I miss LegoFan
    I miss LegoFanToo
    benbacardiBaby_YodaRonyargmonkey76
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,323
    Not sure how I feel about this. Mega Blocks did the figures very well for this (could not tell you for the life of me what the sets looked like). Hard to picture Lego minifigures of the minions that capture both the feel of the minions and are uniquely Lego.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,794
    cody6268 said:
    How the heck are they going to do the actual Minion figures? The MEGA ones are much different, more articulated, and OBVIOUSLY don't use any part recognizeable on a minifig. And some parts (coveralls, eyes/goggles) are rubber. 
    I could see them making it work with https://brickset.com/parts/design-28660, https://brickset.com/parts/design-17485, an existing or new dome piece for the head, and a new lower body piece.
    After all, part of what has made the Minions as marketable as they are (like SpongeBob SquarePants before them, or even the classic minifigure to an extent) is having a shape that's simple and easy to reproduce.
    LyichirBaby_Yoda
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 321
    I'm picturing a yellow R2-D2 with arms and a new piece for the feet.
    560HeliportAstrobricksCM4SBaby_Yodagmonkey76
    Aanchir said:
    cody6268 said:
    I could see them making it work with https://brickset.com/parts/design-28660, https://brickset.com/parts/design-17485, an existing or new dome piece for the head, and a new lower body piece.
    After all, part of what has made the Minions as marketable as they are (like SpongeBob SquarePants before them, or even the classic minifigure to an extent) is having a shape that's simple and easy to reproduce.
    To make them look good, they'd probably need a new dome piece for the head. Then there is how to do the goggles - print or moulded. The bottom piece to attach legs - again would need to be new and the legs (even short ones) would look wrong.

If they end up looking a bit naff, I doubt they will sell so well. With all the new moulds needed, they are probably better off going for molding individual characters, even if this does mean they look like Mega brands ones.

I think they have a hard job to beat what Mega did in terms of character designs ... especially when they managed to do something like a dozen series of CMF style (but only 10? per series).

If they look too LEGO-y, they look a bit naff. But if they look too realistic, they'll look like Mega ones.
    SumoLegoMCNwakeboard
    We were all surprised by the Angry Birds line, and they looked pretty good - all things considered.
    LyichirCM4SBaby_Yoda
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 298
    dannyrww said:
    Not sure how I feel about this. Mega Blocks did the figures very well for this (could not tell you for the life of me what the sets looked like). Hard to picture Lego minifigures of the minions that capture both the feel of the minions and are uniquely Lego.
    I own a few of the MegaBlocks Minions sets and they did a fabulous job on the Minions.  I am curious to see how Lego are going design them.
    datsunrobbie
    edited June 4
    Just rerelease #10225 in yellow with a few tweaks ;-)

Baby_Yodaomniumgmonkey76
    edited June 4
    Pitfall69 said:
    I miss LegoFan
    I miss LegoFanToo
    Nice.
    Gibbo1959M_BossBaby_YodaPitfall69gmonkey76
    Pitfall69 said:
    I miss LegoFan
    I miss LegoFanToo
    I miss the Desinger.
    AstrobricksBumblepantsGibbo1959M_BossMynattBaby_YodaPitfall69gmonkey76
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 781
    My kids have a could of the Megablocks versions and I agree that they were well done.
    I also thought they could use something similar to R2-D2 body but I' also thinking they might go the body add-on (think of banana guy without the head or just a round body armor).  The head can come in two pieces (top and bottom) so you can mix and build the minion as you want it (and add accessories such as the goggles).
    ^ How much is a could?
    ReesesPieces560Heliportoldtodd33Baby_Yodagmonkey76