Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

AFOL Designer Program

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 567
    hayduke said:
    I noticed recently that each set says it has a single exclusive part not available anywhere else... does that mean the part is manufactured by Lego? Any insights into what they might be?
    Russel and Jaclyn were extremely tight lipped about it when asked during the presentation at Bricks Cascade. All they would say is that it is an official LEGO element uniquely made by LEGO for these sets and that it would be logged into the Bricklink inventory database. They weren't going to reveal anything on the nature of the element though until people started getting their sets and posting photos/videos.

That said, I expect it's going to be a printed tile as well.
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 245
    I'm curious to see what the exclusive piece going to be too! Did you see how many preorders Löwenstein Castle has? It's currently at 2057 out of 2500 that will be made, with two days left to go
  • iceddrinkiceddrink NYCMember Posts: 1
    I preordered Löwenstein castle, thank god I did, they are completely sold out in preorders! I think the castle looks really really good, hopefully this prompts LEGO to make a modular castle build? I also preordered the science tower, I like the color contrast and architecture of it.

Can't wait to receive them and build!!
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 138
    @iceddrink There is a review of Lowenstein castle on The Brothers Brick site.
    LEGOFan2
  • ZeeEssBSZeeEssBS Member Posts: 35
    Is there maybe a chance to have the instructions for at least Lowenstein Castle scanned?
    I Reilly love the set but couldn't buy it but I should be able to build it with my own parts.
    And I am sure other people would like all of the Designer Program sets instructions available.
    LEGOFan2
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,326
    cool to see it in more details. I like the layout and the way some rooms are connected. I find the appearance a bit inconsistent, some parts have the detailing of a classic Lego castle sets and others like the main tower have a lot of texture.
    LEGOFan2
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 567
    edited April 30
    If you want to read more about Jonas Kramm's saloon and all the parts included then (since he is part of Team New Elementary) he has written a detailed post here:

https://www.newelementary.com/2019/04/afol-designer-program-wild-west-saloon.html

Bumblepantsbandit778LittleLoristluxpxchrisRonyarGlacierfalls265MegtheCatwardm
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 567
    Next up is The LEGO Story by our friend Jónás Kovács, he has also written a detailed post on his AFOL Designer Program set too: 

AFOL DESIGNER PROGRAM: THE LEGO® STORY

stluxHuwpxchrisbandit778sid3windr
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 235
    Anybody know when these will start shipping? 
    Basty said:
    I literally just got an email saying GOOD NEWS! Your order is being prepared!

so i guess the answer is around now-ish
    pxchris
    Basty said:
    Basty said:
    I literally just got an email saying GOOD NEWS! Your order is being prepared!

so i guess the answer is around now-ish
    I didn't get my order in until about a week before the pre-backer deadline, so I fully expect that it will be a bit until my sets ship.
    pharmjod
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764
    I ordered the following sets:
    • #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle
    • #BL19004 Wild West Saloon - got On The Way email on 13/May - tracking says still in transit to UK
    • #BL19008 The LEGO Story - got On The Way email on 6/May - tracking says set entered UK on 15/May - not yet received it but I assume it was stopped by customs so they can determine extra charges! :(
    No emails relating to Löwenstein Castle order yet even though that was the first to sell out so I had assumed it would be ready first.
    Has anyone in the UK received any of the above sets yet? And if so what additional charges did you incur?
    • #BL19004 Wild West Saloon - got On The Way email on 13/May - tracking says still in transit to UK
    • #BL19008 The LEGO Story - got On The Way email on 6/May - tracking says set entered UK on 15/May - not yet received it but I assume it was stopped by customs so they can determine extra charges! :(
    No emails relating to Löwenstein Castle order yet even though that was the first to sell out so I had assumed it would be ready first.
    Has anyone in the UK received any of the above sets yet? And if so what additional charges did you incur?
    I believe if the item value is below £139ish you won’t have to pay customs duty. But you will be liable for VAT for items over £15 or gifts over £39

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 446
    edited May 22
    Just looked into these costs, and found out i only have to pay VAT, no tariffs (got the shooting gallery and the Bikes! sets, so not over €150 which is the threshold for Dutch tariffs). However, FedEx charges €12,50 per shipment as a covercharge. Would have been cool if BL shipped my 2 sets in one go... but ey, guess that’s just water under the bridge.

hope my sets get here soon, tracking still remains at “shipping informatie received”.
    Got the notice yesterday on one of my sets shipping!

I was surprised however, I expected that the LEGO Story set would take much longer to get shipped than the other one I ordered (Isle of Peril) since so many more people ordered it and I was fairly far down the list of supporters on that one.
    Picked up #BL19008 The LEGO Story today from my local Royal
    Mail depo. The packing box it arrived in looked very thin and had numerous dents on it but the set inside was mint. I got set number 31. The final price for this $99.99 set was £102 exactly including currency conversion and customs fees. I'm happy with that.
    I'm now waiting for #BL19004 Wild West Saloon to clear customs.
    However, I haven't even been charged for #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle yet. Not sure what's happening there?
    raygunn
    My shooting gallery is now showing as “Item being prepared for US export”. 
    Baby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,276
    Basty said:
    My shooting gallery is now showing as “Item being prepared for US export”. 
    For a fleeting moment I forgot I was on a Lego forum and read this way out of context.
  • PisceanPetPisceanPet UKMember Posts: 28
    I've ordered a #BL19004 Wild West Saloon and the tracking says 'In transit to destination country' (UK) since 16 May - heard nothing since. How long are people finding they are taking to arrive?  No doubt customs have held it up, and the last thing I ordered from the US was there for ages.
    @PisceanPet My tracking data for Wild West Saloon set says the same thing but I assume it's stuck in customs. If the shipping and customs process for Saloon matches The LEGO Story then we should both get our Saloons by the end of next week! :)
    @SeanTheCollector - any sign of yours yet?  Does your tracking even tell you it has left the US yet?  The FedEx site says in transit to the destination country and the Parcelforce site says 'Your parcel is being prepared for export and will soon be leaving its origin country' - when should we get worried about them?!!
    Anyone else received a Wild West Saloon in the UK yet?
    Mail depo. The packing box it arrived in looked very thin and had numerous dents on it but the set inside was mint. I got set number 31. The final price for this $99.99 set was £102 exactly including currency conversion and customs fees. I'm happy with that.
    However, I haven't even been charged for #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle yet. Not sure what's happening there?
    Just received #BL19004 Wild West Saloon after paying only £23.33 for import fees! This time, the packing box didn't stop the set getting dinged but the damage isn't too bad. I got set number 386. The final price for this $149.99 set was £142.53. It should have been a bit more but someone valued the set at $75 on the shipping label. Although the invoice inside does value it correctly at £149.99. I'm happy with that even with a ding.
    @PisceanPet You will have to let me know how your delivery goes.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 354
    I should get my Bikes sets tomorrow.  Can't wait!
    ...and they arrived!  A fun build for sure and they will look great in my city.  Now I just wait for the Skyline Express to get shipped.
    pxchris
    Has anybody received the Isle of Peril set yet? I'm still waiting on that one to ship for my kid.
    Just received #BL19004 Wild West Saloon after paying only £23.33 for import fees! This time, the packing box didn't stop the set getting dinged but the damage isn't too bad. I got set number 386. The final price for this $149.99 set was £142.53. It should have been a bit more but someone valued the set at $75 on the shipping label. Although the invoice inside does value it correctly at £149.99. I'm happy with that even with a ding.
    Does FedEx contact you for the import fees or how does it work? 
    edited June 12
    Basty said:
    Does FedEx contact you for the import fees or how does it work? 
    The first set (The LEGO Story) I got was handled by Royal Mail on the UK side and I got an card from them. I popped to local depo where I paid import fees and collected set. The second set (Wild West Saloon) was handled by ParcelForce. I also got a card from them. Their depo is some distance from me, so I paid online and had it delivered afterwards.
    @SeanTheCollector - how long did your delivery take between saying it was in transit to the UK and you hearing something? Mine says it was sent on 16th May but that's all - does the tracking update when it is with customs? Mine is coming via ParcelForce too but they don't even seem to think it has left the US when you use their tracking!  I have had things come through Parcelforce customs and received a letter about duty to pay online, but on those occasions the tracking did say it was there at least.
    @Basty what are you waiting for?
    @PisceanPet Im waiting for the shooting gallery. Its saying Arrived in destination country for about a week now. Does Fedex only ship it to the UK and then royal mail / parcel force take over from there or? How do you know yours is coming via parcel force?
    Basty said:
    @PisceanPet Im waiting for the shooting gallery. Its saying Arrived in destination country for about a week now. Does Fedex only ship it to the UK and then royal mail / parcel force take over from there or? How do you know yours is coming via parcel force?
    The tracking number on the FedEx site is a Parcelforce format tracking number - when I entered it in the Parcelforce tracking it knew what I was looking for.  Mine doesn't even say it has arrived :(
    So the FedEx tracking is total crap. I phoned Royal Mail and when I finally got through, they confirmed the package is at my local depot and I just need to wait for a card so I can pay customs duty.
    @PisceanPet Tracking information for these sets is pretty pants. Other than saying it entered into the UK, I saw no other changes until I got a Import Changes Due card thru the door. BrickLink has obviously used cheapest shipping option they can find.
    What's annoying me is that I still haven't even been charged for #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle! Has anyone received theirs yet? Has anyone in the UK been charged for it yet?
    Patience is obviously an essential virtue when it comes to these sets!  I'll keep waiting...
    Basty
    I've just had an email from ParcelForce to say although they are expecting it, it hasn't entered the UK system yet.  Now definitely beginning to suspect it is lost....
    @PisceanPet Tracking information for these sets is pretty pants. Other than saying it entered into the UK, I saw no other changes until I got a Import Changes Due card thru the door. BrickLink has obviously used cheapest shipping option they can find.
    What's annoying me is that I still haven't even been charged for #BL19001 Löwenstein Castle! Has anyone received theirs yet? Has anyone in the UK been charged for it yet?
    The shipping they used is so bad, that even FedEx doesn't do the finally delivery, they just get it into the destination country and wipe their hands clean of it.
    So here in the US, Bricklink sent my Bikes sets via FedEx but they were delivered to my apartment by the US Postal Service.  I had never even heard of that being done before.  Why not just use the Postal Service to begin with?
    That's actually happened with me for quite a number of shipments @daewoo. FedEx and USPS have a partnership where the primary logistics are handled by FedEx but the end point delivery is done by USPS, usually on tracking I have seen that switch-off and delivery happening same-day.
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 497
    @pxchris and @daewoo It's called FedEx Smartpost and I've had numerous smaller sized Lego orders come this way. 

Has anyone had an update on when the Science Tower will be ready? My order page on Bricklink says "Backordered." I guess that's good since I have had unexpected expenses lately.
    pxchris
    My shooting gallery set is being delivered to my work. I went yesterday to see if a card had arrived for me to pay the fees, was told no. Went down again today, turns out it did arrive and they just paid the fees for me. Should get the set today, winner winner.
    SeanTheCollectorMegtheCat
    Thank you @MegtheCat, Smartpost was the name I was trying to remember.
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 89
    MegtheCat said:

Has anyone had an update on when the Science Tower will be ready? My order page on Bricklink says "Backordered." I guess that's good since I have had unexpected expenses lately.
    Some Science Towers have shipped. Mine has - I ordered it pretty early. It's shipped FedEx smart post and did a slow 4-day meander through southern California, and now has finally left the state and is in New Mexico. I'm on the east coast (of the US). Looks like it'll take almost 2 weeks to get it. 
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 497
    ^Well, I always refer to Smartpost as "Slowpost."

Mine is backordered, probably since I ordered it near the end of pre-orders. I'm in no hurry.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,951
    Well it sounds like they really captured the typical ordering from Bricklink experience with the shipping process on these. It's beautiful in a weird sort of way.
    stlux
    Got & build my copy of BIKES! yesterday. Again, no taxes/tariffs or other costs relating to import :)

Cool set, especially the truck is very well done with the sign/bike rack on the back. There is an little issue with the bike stand however, in standard form I couldn’t get the bikes to attach with the stud in the front, the attachment point was just too low. Nothing a couple of DBG 1x8 plates couldn’t fix, but still.
    original:

Fixed:

Really love the little pump!
    BastyBumblepantsstlux
    @eMJeeNL I must be going blind because I literally cannot tell where you made the modification! Can you also post a picture of the truck please.
    edited June 18
    Of course:

mod: 

Truck and stand pre-mod:

( @SumoLego: knock yourself out! ;))
    SumoLegoLittleLori
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,193
    I'm too busy working on the WENUS for Miss Chanandler Bong.
    eMJeeNLgmonkey76
    MegtheCat said:
    @pxchris and @daewoo It's called FedEx Smartpost and I've had numerous smaller sized Lego orders come this way. 

Thanks for that.  It caught me off guard, though it's actually somewhat preferable as the USPS will leave packages at my apartment office while FedEx and UPS usually leave them at my front door.
    Getting properly annoyed by this purchase now. Still no update on the FedEx site so as far as I know it has not arrived in the UK, and three emails to BrinkLink have gone unanswered. Not happy.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,043
    There are reports of having to wait 3-4 weeks for replies from BL staff on the bricklink forum, as the staff are too busy packaging these sets to reply. And when you get a reply it is to wait, as shipping information doesn't get updated very often and may be incorrect. Some buyers have been filing Non-Shipping Seller reports against BL!

stluxsid3windrBaby_Yoda