Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Stranger Things General Discussion

mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 111
edited May 25 in Collecting
I have no words.  Just wow...this is as instant of a pre-order as there ever was.

Stranger Things 'The Upside Down' 75810

Tweet Announcement
https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1128435143339802624

Baby_Yodavwong19LittleLori

Comments

• dragon114dragon114 United StatesMember Posts: 632
    funny thing is in the designer video they said legos
    dmcc0
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 792
    dragon114 said:
    Pretty sure that was done on purpose. The host character seemed to have been made to appear as clueless as possible.
    drdavewatfordmatticus_bricksAanchir
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 333
    It looks good, I'll be buying for sure. My only "thing" about it is, I thought Lego doesn't do horror? Perhaps things are changing?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,724
    There were Monster Fighters.
    Baby_YodaPitfall69datsunrobbieteal93mr2gmonkey76montyh7The_Mack
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 333
    SumoLego said:
    There were Monster Fighters.
    Not exactly the same thing. Some people in Stranger Things have met some pretty gruesome deaths. I would argue that Stranger Things is every bit as gruesome as the original 1990 IT. 

I'm not complaining, I'm excited for the set. It just seems a little "out of bounds" for a Lego set imo. 
    SumoLego
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 90
    I'd never even heard of the show, let alone seen it, but I'm buying this. Looks awesome, whatever it it is!
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,724
    edited May 15
    It's certainly close to that completely arbitrary 'line' that LEGO won't cross.  (Indiana Jones, James Bond, Agents...)  Maybe I should put my request back in for a Godfather D2C.  And where is my Daredevil minifig!?!?!?

I love that K5 Blazer!
    SparkyHambpk2300Pitfall69chuckpgmonkey76
    It still shows as "Coming Soon on 1 June 2019" on the website. Thought it should be available to VIPs by now?
    MooreFX
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,170
    Excellent idea with the trees forming a stand and a reasonable fig selection, though I would like to have seen Nancy and maybe a hair piece or print for Eleven. The way that car hangs upside down is just... trippy. $350 is quite steep, though, even for the licence. If I had that much to spend on a single set, there are much better options right now... Still, it's awesome how well they've done the show justice.
    mattytreks
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 111
    I have the urge to buy a rotating display stand specifically for this set, so that both sides can be enjoyed with ease while on display.
    FizyxBaby_Yodacatwrangler
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 893
    I love the cheesey 80's video on the Lego shop website! The set looks super interesting and I'd love to build it. I need to have a look at my wants list and compare how it ranks against the others! My birthday in June so may be I can treat myself! Hahaha
    FizyxLittleLoriLyichirmontyh7
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 661
    Don't have the fund to get this as soon as it becomes available for VIPs, but I may just order before it goes into wider availability and not even wait for double points or anything.  Everything that I've seen about it has been beyond amazing!

• Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 956
    I know nothing much about Stranger Things. However, the reviews I'm seeing appear are beginning to make this look like one of those sets I need. Completely irrespective of being a fan of the license, I'm totally a fan of this set.
    Fizyx
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,110
    I enjoyed the first series of Stranger Things, not watched the second, but this set is doing little for me personally.

I do really want the purple wizards hat though, will be perfect for Simon the Sorcerer

catwrangler
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    edited May 15
    For those of you who are unfamiliar with the IP - I would recommend watching the ‘Series Opener’ which briefly invests you into the show’s tone and narrative.

Series Openerhttps://youtu.be/CKtq-bZgS8I
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,692
    Considering the supposed popularity of the  show I'm amazed at the number of people saying they've never heard of it. I can understand that from the 'man on the street' but I would have expected that if you're an Internet user you would have been exposed to it at some point in the last 3 years.

I've never watched the show but am aware of the basic premise and don't see the IP 'fit' as much different to Ghostbusters, Gremlins or Indiana Jones (80s theme, mild horror). If it brings new fans to lego, and new parts for lego fans then I'm all for it.

Still concerned how those trees will hold up, I've never found brickbuilt trees (even in official sets) to be that reliable... Is there a technic sub-structure?
    Baby_Yodamatticus_bricksAanchircatwranglermontyh7
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    edited May 15
    I had never heard of it until the leaks.

The plates for the ground level seem to be back to back, so presumably there are going to be a lot of technic axles or similar running through them to hold the bottom to the top. Presumably there are also supports for the underground level running from the trees / roots.

It certainly is an impressive display piece. But it looks like the upside down nature of it will limit the play value.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    As per TLG's press release, at the midnight opening event participants could build a mini Castle Byers. Anybody seen pictures/instructions for that?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,692
    I just saw the review on EB. I was wrong about playability. The flip mechanism is very nice.
    Aanchir
    ^ In the mornings I tend to read the forum here first, then EB, then Brickset front page.

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    Thanks for that link @andhe.

Looks like it would be easy enough to recreate, except for those stickers.
    LyichirFowlerBrickscatwrangler
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 741
    How about the pube? :-O
    Baby_Yodadmcc0Mr_CrossBrainsluggedjmeninnoHothWampaPolyphemus

Baby_YodastluxPoMoPinkomniumCymbelineFizyxSeanTheCollectorchuckp
    omnium said:
    Hmm... now where could I get one of those...
    omnium
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    Baby_Yoda said:
    omnium said:
    Hmm... now where could I get one of those...
    pretty much any used lot of bricks off ebay alongside the cat turds and used batteries.
    roxioMr_CrossSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • mdtvandymdtvandy USAMember Posts: 53
    Was there any indication from the event that they would be making a set with the other car from the teaser ad with Steve, Barb, etc?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    mdtvandy said:
    Was there any indication from the event that they would be making a set with the other car from the teaser ad with Steve, Barb, etc?
    I am going to have to try and build that car on my own if they don't. It looks fantastic.
    mdtvandyBaby_Yoda
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 203
    I tried ordering it this morning, said it was not available. Waited about 45min, tried again and now it is on a 30 day back order. Considering how past releases have gone, go figure.
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    Wow, I love it when Lego manages to keep a secret on stuff like this.  What a great surprise!
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 56
    Looks like it’s finally available to VIPs on [email protected] USA
    ISDAvengerrwsales
  • ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 203
    edited May 15
    I tried ordering it this morning, said it was not available. Waited about 45min, tried again and now it is on a 30 day back order. Considering how past releases have gone, go figure.

Edit: Just tried logging back into Lego.com and it is now showing available. Must have been a glitch in the system. So I placed the order. Should be a fun build.

The Castle Byers, was that an OCONUS only release? I don't recall seeing a midnight release for the set in the US, let alone the build.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Totally excited about this. It seems like we’re living in a golden age if a great series like Stranger Things is being made in Lego! The technique used to attach the two versions of the house together, seemlessly having undersides of plates connected is really clever. Here’s hoping we get another set with Nancy, Steve, Jonathan, Max and Barb at minimum.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 749
    dragon114 said:
    That was awesome. As was the mother-in-law joke. I miss the days when people could make mildy offensive or risque jokes without being at risk of losing their careers over it.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,437
    dragon114 said:
    That was awesome. As was the mother-in-law joke. I miss the days when people could make mildy offensive or risque jokes without being at risk of losing their careers over it.
    I find the idea that such days ever existed offensive! Now back to talking about plastic bricks please.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,437
    Totally excited about this. It seems like we’re living in a golden age if a great series like Stranger Things is being made in Lego! The technique used to attach the two versions of the house together, seemlessly having undersides of plates connected is really clever. Here’s hoping we get another set with Nancy, Steve, Jonathan, Max and Barb at minimum.
    How are the plates attached??
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 702
    TheFew said:
    How are the plates attached??
    They aren't actually connected to each other directly—they're locked together with Mixel joints and Technic steering parts.
    TheFew
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 417
    stlux said:
    Thanks for that link @andhe.

Looks like it would be easy enough to recreate, except for those stickers.
    That's a bit ridiculous. It's just come out and already you're screwed if you want a complete set. Lego really knows how to twist the knife with thier ridiculous 'exclusives'. 
    icey117

SumoLegopharmjodchuckpstluxBaby_YodaBOBJACK_JACKBOB
    klinton said:
    That's a bit ridiculous. It's just come out and already you're screwed if you want a complete set. Lego really knows how to twist the knife with thier ridiculous 'exclusives'. 
    But it's not an actual set. It's a model used in an in-store event. Unless you're concerned about the exclusivity of the stickers...
    Bumblepantsstlux
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,791
    dragon114 said:
    They still can… even comedians who have done much worse than make tasteless jokes like (such as Louis C.K. with his reputation for behind-the-scenes sexual misconduct) are still finding work, and in fact some have managed to frame themselves as heroic martyrs of their generation or political alignment simply because younger and less prejudiced audiences have higher comedic standards than cliche-riddled quips making fun of women and minorities.

I mean, did it somehow escape you that what was so "funny" about the mother-in-law joke in the context of this video wasn't the punchline, but how it fit into the wider pattern of the host's comments being cheesy, trite, and a little clueless about the product he was showcasing?
    CymbelineJern92beemo
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,254
    I guess few people built it, but I'm wondering if it doesn't look a bit small for a 200€ model? the house looks to be like 12x32 studs?
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 515
    edited May 16
    Think of it more like 2x €99 dollar houses with expansive trees, plus 4minifigues and half a car per $99 house set... (And yes I have built it)
    LittleLori
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,254
    I guess the amount of details kind of make up for it, but then, it reminds me of old fishing store, which was cheaper, but I'm not sure it was smaller.
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 749
    Aanchir said:

I mean, did it somehow escape you that what was so "funny" about the mother-in-law joke in the context of this video wasn't the punchline, but how it fit into the wider pattern of the host's comments being cheesy, trite, and a little clueless about the product he was showcasing?
    I got it. Thanks for asking.
    Pyrobugdmcc0mustang69
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 385
    I haven’t bought much this year but this is going to get me. Love the show and this is a really cool expression of it imo. The figures are excellent too. I really need a Steve tho.  #TeamSteve

• Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 529
    I have just binge watched both seasons after learning about this set! What a great show, and really want the set even more now!
    CM4Svwong19omniumBumblepants
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 385
    edited May 17
    ^Did you binge watch the show to justify buying the set? If so, that’s awesome and a nice strategy.
    I need to try that with the wife. “Oh hey honey, I need to do some extra research on some LEGO sets by binge watching this show/movie series so I can feel better about spending money on the sets.”
    CM4SWicksy80