Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

General Harry Potter Discussion

Comments

• BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 708
    Shame about Hermione's dress being a 1x2 brick (plus plate) rather than the new dress piece. I guess it's so she can be a plate shorter than a regular adult.

Are the front windows on the Night Bus three bricks wide? If so, are they new?
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 928

The Clock Tower is exceptional; hopefully we'll see some images of it connected with the other sets shortly.  That's one for my Christmas list; definitely one to build on 25th Dec!

I'm a little disappointed with the Hungarian Horntail, but I guess the designed was limited by the RRP.  Apart from that, it's another great wave - well done TLG.

Mr_Cross
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    edited April 25
    The horntail is garbage. That whole set is pretty terrible. Night bus I'm largely indifferent to. Everything else looks good.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 449
    My kid is going to love the clock tower. Looks like it will integrate very nicely with last years sets. Same with Haggrid's hut.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 931
    Yep, all in on those sets. Lovely stuff*. Definitely looking forward to these.

*not my words, the words of Shakin' Stevens.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,777
    J0rgen said:
    The Horntail and the Knight Bus look like steps back, but the rest is great! I'm extremely excited to see the inside of the Clock Tower.
    IDK, the Knight Bus looks like a big improvement to me, in term of having closer to the correct number of windows and no random difference in height between the front and side windows. The wheels and grille are also looking much more accurate to the source material.

The new horntail also seems to be somewhat improved from the previous one in terms of level of detail and accuracy of colors, though if I'm being honest, neither version has enough spikes to really adequately resemble the version from the films, which had spikes running up and down pretty much its entire back.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,614
    Does any else feel like Lego have now gone though all the greatest hit of the line. I know there is lot of sets they could still make but they haven't really saved many of the standout ones.
  • TheBrickTankTheBrickTank NetherlandsMember Posts: 49
    I can't seem to find images of the Knight Bus. 

I like the Clocktower and Hagrid's Hut sets a lot. They look great. The Patronus one is kind of cool. The TriWizard thing is not really doing it for me. 
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 49
    ^ The ministry, grimmauld place, the cave of the locket, privet drive, the burrow, the campsite in DH, Malfoy manor, and everything about Diagon Alley, knockturn alley, and hogsmeade. This is just what I could think of on the top of my head, so they can continue for a while. The burrow and Gringotts could the standouts of the whole line, if done well.
    wardmbpk2300matticus_bricks
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,777
    SMC said:
    Does any else feel like Lego have now gone though all the greatest hit of the line. I know there is lot of sets they could still make but they haven't really saved many of the standout ones.
    It's probably just as well, because I can't say I see this theme lasting very long in lieu of new movies and/or TV shows.
    Even Star Wars, one of the only licensed themes that hasn't just launched ahead of a major movie release and retired after there are no new movies to promote, has been buoyed by TV shows like The Clone Wars, which made up a healthy portion of the theme's sets between the prequel and sequel trilogies.
    That said, I can think of a few scenes that could still be iconic enough to be worth introducing if the theme can maintain enough momentum to get to that point, like a new Chamber of Secrets, Gringotts Bank, and Room of Requirement.
    Baby_Yoda
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 25
    SMC said:
    They make sets from 2 movies every year and there is still 4 movies left, and a lot they still have not made in the first 4 so plenty to make ;)
    Aanchir said:
    SMC said:
    It's probably just as well, because I can't say I see this theme lasting very long in lieu of new movies and/or TV shows.
    Even Star Wars, one of the only licensed themes that hasn't just launched ahead of a major movie release and retired after there are no new movies to promote, has been buoyed by TV shows like The Clone Wars, which made up a healthy portion of the theme's sets between the prequel and sequel trilogies.
    That said, I can think of a few scenes that could still be iconic enough to be worth introducing if the theme can maintain enough momentum to get to that point, like a new Chamber of Secrets, Gringotts Bank, and Room of Requirement.
    I disagree! HP have the extremely popular books so they get a lot of new fans all the time, the generation that grew up with HP have there one kids now that they introduce to the world. If you must have movies there is still 3 FB films to be made.. I think the timing is perfect and the theme are here to stay for many years to come :)
    ratical30
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 236
    That Clocktower set is a Day One purchase for me for sure! Does anyone know if the mermaid window in the prefect's bathroom is a printed clear window piece? I couldn't tell from the instagram pictures, but I hope it is because that would be awesome 
    bpk2300
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,139
    Damn the clock tower. I was hoping to start spending a bit less on Lego in the latter half of this year. Not to mention, I'll have to get my hands on that Patronus.
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 50
    Really excited for this wave. I love the pumpkins for Hagrid’s Hut!
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,316
    Wish they would have mad Moaning Myrtle to go with the clock tower.
    J0rgenMegtheCatgmonkey76Bitsyww2
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 782
    I don't even have space to store and display my existing Harry Potter sets, but I can't help but be tempted by all of these! 

Now to decide if I should buy them all like I did the first wave, or show some restraint and maybe wait for the rumored Stranger Things set to come out.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    Very excited about them. Some great looking minifigures. My son was in awe too and wants to buy them all. 
    The light grey on Hagrids hut seems a bit strange, but I guess that colour will go well with all the tan and dark grey of the buildings.

The dragon looks quite good in my opnion. think if they'd made it much bigger it would be totally out of scale with the buildings etc.

Need to start saving up for these!
    BumblepantsMr_Cross
  • eddieweddiew South JerseyMember Posts: 68
    Roebuck said:
    SMC said:
    They make sets from 2 movies every year and there is still 4 movies left, and a lot they still have not made in the first 4 so plenty to make ;)
    Aanchir said:
    SMC said:
    I disagree! HP have the extremely popular books so they get a lot of new fans all the time, the generation that grew up with HP have there one kids now that they introduce to the world. If you must have movies there is still 3 FB films to be made.. I think the timing is perfect and the theme are here to stay for many years to come :)
    I agree with this, except that the Fantastic Beast films seem to be aimed at an older audience. I think the existence of the theme park is also a huge inroad for new fans, though.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,937

Aanchir said:
    SMC said:

I think I also disagree on this point. 
    Last year was probably the year I have seen the most HP merchandise out ever. Pottery Barn Teen, Target, Barnes and Noble, Williams and Sonoma, Kohl’s... everywhere I looked was HP merchandise. 
    Vans just announced  HP themed shoes.
    The Guardian had an article this past January about HP merchandise still flying off the shelves.  

In addition, content does continue. There have been plays, screenplay books, a new HP ride is opening this June at universal. While, not everyone has access to these, it still keeps the material out in the mainstream. There are also continued revisions of books. the illustrated HP books have trickled out on an almost yearly basis, along with other books that contain HP world content. Yes, Fantastic Beasts is geared to an older audience, but one sees HP products and content always coupled with the release.

I do think there are ways it could be made larger, by putting out more cinematic/tv content  towards kids.

As for the new sets, yes, these are going to be big hits for my kiddo, especially the clock tower and the one with the Patronus.

Ronyarbrickventurespharmjodcatwrangler
  • Blockwork_OrangeBlockwork_Orange ON, CanadaMember Posts: 5
    With the Patronus stag mold, how long until we see a Christmas, Santa and his Sleigh set?
    bpk2300Harrymattpotter
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 185
    Is there still a rumour of a Chamber of Secrets set coming? It would make sense, as Ginny, Lockhart and Moaning Myrtle are some of the most important missing characters from the sets they've released so far. I expect we'll see all the major Weasleys again next year, but I think we should have a young Ginny in addition to a HBP version.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 537
    Kinda sad that the “wizarding world” and the “harry potter” theme on the brickset main site merged. I finally owned 100% of a theme! 
    guachi7BSratical30
    ^ Interesting, are Spiderman and Batman next?

I dont think you can say either option is right/wrong its just a judgment call and we know @Huw thinks carefully about these things and is also open to listening to what others think.  
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 537
    It makes sense that they’ve been merged though! So no hard feelings to anyone who made the decision.
    SMCAanchir
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 818
    A good quality image of the advent calendar has leaked :-D
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,132
    Fortunately the description of the HP advent calendar posted on the Brickset front page is much more interesting than what we see on the set picture:
    • This LEGO Harry Potter advent calendar includes 7 minifigures: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, Professor McGonagall, Albus Dumbledore, Professor Flitwick and the Hogwarts Architect plus a Hedwig figure.
    • Models include a micro Hogwarts Express train, buildable fireplace with Christmas decoration, Great Hall table with accessories and a statue pedestal decorated with the 4 house crests.
    • The 24 gifts combine to inspire kids to recreate festive scenes from the Harry Potter movies and invent magical stories of their own.
    bpk2300Mr_CrosskezwardmMegtheCatLittleLoriBaby_YodacatwranglerAddicted2Oxygen
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,611
    edited April 29
    Certainly a breath of fresh air in the Calendar line. Hopefully they branch out and add Ninjago or other popular themes in the future as well if this one does well.
    RonyarBoomstick
    edited April 29
    ^ Yeah its sad that Lego seem to have stop doing this with star war and now the HP calendar.
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 50
    I am a big fan of the new Knight Bus. The older ones always looked odd to me because of the stepped build for the fronts. This new one looks so smooth and nicely updated with bigger windows, etc. 
  • TheBrickTankTheBrickTank NetherlandsMember Posts: 49
    I might get an advent calendar at full price during the holidays for a change. I usually get them afterwards at a discount. 
    bpk2300
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 221
    When the first wave was announced I imagined I would be buying these just for myself as I've always loved HP. However since then my 6 year old seems to have aged into it. She's only seen as far as 4 and is reading book 1 at the moment with us on a night but she adores them. So it certainly has new fans coming in all the time. She's been begging me to make the Great Hall which has been sat in my backlog now for a few weeks.
    Loving the look of the clocktower, and in fact I think I'll end up with them all. The weak point for me is the Horntail set which is a shame but the dragon looks nothing like I expected. I think it would have benefitted greatly from having some kind of spikes on it's head.
    Addicted2Oxygen
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,416
    SMC said:
    While Potter remains popular, they will probably keep pumping them out. Then repeating sets a few years later if the sales justify it.

Potter is still huge, especially with foreign tourists. In the Shambles in York, we now have three Harry Potter shops - The Boy Wizard, The Shop That Must Not Be Named  and The World Of Wizardry. All opened within about a year. And in summer there are often queues of 30 minutes or more to get into them. In the same street there are a couple of gift shops with windows full of HP stuff too. Plus there is that things at Kings Cross, again massive queues at most times of the day. While there is money to be made, LEGO will make it.

J0rgentamamahmcatwrangler
  • eddieweddiew South JerseyMember Posts: 68
    edited May 2
    People just need to find the vanishing cabinets that are paired with the ones in each of those stores. Then, they would never have to wait in line.
    brickventurescatwrangler
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 876
    Haven’t seen this book before. Is the printed spell piece unique? 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 503
    Hey all Harry Potter fans. I really dont care about this theme, but man you got some pretty sets this year AND the first non-city/SW/Friends calendar in a long time. You guys are favoured. Just saying. Best regards from a slightly jelaouis fan-of-other-licenced-themes. 
    catwranglersnowhitieCM4Sblakusdk
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    Oh wow! I haven't been keeping up with the news on this theme and I'm delighted to see the new sets. The Clock Tower, Patronus set and Hagrid's Hut all look worth having. Would've been nice if the hut was a bit larger, but it's expensive enough as it is, and that's what spare bricks are for. Very nice to see the new pumpkin mould!
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 931
    edited May 10
    Two interesting Harry Potter leaks. A Graveyard set and a Beauxbatons Carriage... both look to be insta-buys!

duplicated post from leaks.
    BumblepantskezMCNwakeboardwardm
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 355
    Finally!! A return of the non-Friends style horses! As far as I can tell the last time one was available was the Scooby Doo headless horseman set.
    BumblepantswardmRoebuck
  • im2cre8ivim2cre8iv Utah, USAMember Posts: 42
    Apparently the carriage set is a 2-in-1. It can be rebuilt into a 2-floor bedroom with a tea drinking area
  • MCNwakeboardMCNwakeboard VirginiaMember Posts: 256
    I think it’s just part of the build that opens up if you look at the box art
  • lcdo_figueroalcdo_figueroa College Station, TXMember Posts: 59
    Man if it wasn't because I made up my mind and decided to stick with just the Super Heroes theme and the occasional Star Wars, this would have been a great set to collect. These last few sets have really impressed me.
  • ersiersi SlovakiaMember Posts: 134
    Theese new sets are really good. I think I will start to collect harry potter sets too :D 
    I have checked all sets from 2018 and upcomming 2019 sets and decided that I want to collect them too. What is the best way to get them? Do I want to wait for some discounts? I checked bricklink prices but prices there are even higher than in shops around me. 

#75953 55€
    #75954 77€
    #75955 72€
    #75956 36€
    #75950 15€
    #75951 24€
    #75952 39€
    #71043 347€
    #30407 8€
    #40289 40€ bricklink

What would you recommend me? Some of theese prices are already discounted.
  • RoebuckRoebuck Slitu, NorwayMember Posts: 25
    Man if it wasn't because I made up my mind and decided to stick with just the Super Heroes theme and the occasional Star Wars, this would have been a great set to collect. These last few sets have really impressed me.
    It is not to late to reconsider, Harry Potter sets is much better than super heroes and SW ;) 
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,804
    ersi said:
    I have checked all sets from 2018 and upcomming 2019 sets and decided that I want to collect them too. What is the best way to get them? Do I want to wait for some discounts? I checked bricklink prices but prices there are even higher than in shops around me. 

#75953 55€
    #75954 77€
    #75955 72€
    #75956 36€
    #75950 15€
    #75951 24€
    #75952 39€
    #71043 347€
    #30407 8€
    #40289 40€ bricklink

What would you recommend me? Some of theese prices are already discounted.
    It's difficult to say, I do not know what is available around where you live. I think the big Hogwarts castle will be available for quite a while still, the other sets might become more sparse with the new wave coming out. Most of them have been discounted quite a bit, also on big retailers like Amazon. I'd make an order of which ones you definitly you don't want to miss and look at your budget and try and tick them off that way. I think the Great Hall is a wonderful set and that will combine nicely with the clock tower and the whomping willow one.

Have fun with the theme!
    ersiLittleLori
    Exactly when I saw that it is possible to connect Great Hall + whomping willow + clock tower I knew I need them :D I think Im starting with theese 3 sets than I will see. At this moment all sets I have posted are available around me. 
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 684
    im2cre8iv said:
    Apparently the carriage set is a 2-in-1. It can be rebuilt into a 2-floor bedroom with a tea drinking area
    Dagnammit..I was hoping it would turn into a helipad!!
    gmonkey76dmcc0
    First two harry potter sets arrived :) 

TheBrickTankbpk2300Baby_YodaMegtheCatpxchris