Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Trolls

2»

Comments

• cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 246
    My problem is I feel LEGO is making way too many licensed themes and too many have been utter failures, with millions spent on new tooling useless for anything but those sets.  An ideal licensed theme, in my opinion, has stuff for people that are both familiar and unfamiliar with the IP that both will like.

But then again, the Lone Ranger remake (was familiar with the show, but only liked the sets for the US Cavalry soldiers) was that for me, and like the film, it was a flop. I remember our Kmart (uh, back when we still had one) struggling to get rid of the sets. 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    edited May 9
    Honestly if there's anything that bewilders me about this whole Trolls reveal, it's how amazingly early they've announced their existence - at the soonest we're 7 months away from 2020, and if the sets turn out to be a spring release like the main homepage article speculates then we're nearly 10 months away from the sets launching! Heck, there hasn't even been a trailer for this film yet - is there a precedent for this kinda thing, or am I the only one that considers the timing of this really darn odd?

As for my personal thoughts on the theme, I can't say I'm personally interested in it myself but there's certainly some potential for neat recoloured and new parts so it'll be interesting to see how the final sets look in terms of those. That aside, I'll probably be more occupied by other themes in 2020 so... eh, whatever I guess. It's a thing.
    Shibcatwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,775
    SMC said:
    Aanchir said:
    Honestly, it's unlikely that anyone in the world has what it takes to reliably predict any new product's chances of success
    Hang on never mind, there's no point.
    If the only point you see in forums is to make predictions on what will succeed or what will fail before there's any supporting evidence one way or the other, then sure, you're wasting your time being on forums. But that's a ridiculous reason to be on sites like this to begin with. Sites like Brickset are aimed at LEGO fans, not at aspiring prophets and soothsayers.

Also you left out the "before it launches" bit of that sentence, arguably the most important part. Even the people CREATING new LEGO themes can't guarantee whether they will or won't be a hit before they even hit the shelves, and they have much more insight into the details of those themes (how much they cost to make, how well they've tested with kids compared to other themes, how they're going to be advertised, who they expect them to appeal to, etc) than we typically do.
    LyichirBaby_Yodastluxdmcc0datsunrobbiecatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,621
    cody6268 said:
    My problem is I feel LEGO is making way too many licensed themes and too many have been utter failures, with millions spent on new tooling useless for anything but those sets.
    I don't think that's accurate at all.  If licensing were unpopular, then they wouldn't exist.  And LEGO wouldn't have a billion dollars in profit.

Nonetheless, I get the sense we're going to get Exo-Force like tall rubbery hair.  I can't imagine we'll get actual stringy hair.
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76stluxMr_Crosscatwrangler
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    I am ambivalent about trolls. It will likely just save me money since I doubt I'll be interested in the sets, but I don't mind LEGO doing the theme. 
    AyliffeSumoLego
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,138
    I must say, this discussion has become very philosophical very quickly. "What is the purpose of this forum? Why are we even here? Can we even be sure of anything?"
    560Heliportbrickventurescatwrangler
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    ^I ask these questions every day and it isn't about the forum ;)
    gmonkey76Baby_Yodadmcc0SumoLego
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    Pitfall69 said:
    I'm just imagining you asking them in jar jar's voice...
    Aanchirgmonkey76Baby_Yodadmcc0560HeliportSumoLegocatwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
    SumoLego said:

Nonetheless, I get the sense we're going to get Exo-Force like tall rubbery hair.  I can't imagine we'll get actual stringy hair.
    I don’t know why but I kind of imagine the hair will be a requirement of the licence agreement - probably because the only merch I can remember seeing from the first film that had plastic hair was the result of function (lights, money jars or just characters printed onto things) and the Kreo sets included interchangeable “stringy” hair pieces.
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,407
    cody6268 said:
    My problem is I feel LEGO is making way too many licensed themes and too many have been utter failures, with millions spent on new tooling useless for anything but those sets.  An ideal licensed theme, in my opinion, has stuff for people that are both familiar and unfamiliar with the IP that both will like.

Which ones were utter failures? And why should a licensed set have to appeal to people that are unfamiliar with the license? Better to appeal to fans of the license than dilute the branding. Of course, they could have done really bad Angry Birds characters with brick built birds / pigs so the parts were useful to LEGO fans that were not fans of the license. But Angry Birds fans would probably not have bought them, and LEGO fans would have bought them for parts on clearance. Although LEGO fans have 100s of other sets to choose from. If they are going to do a license, they should do it right, for the fans of that license.

And now apply that reasoning to in-house sets. If licenses are utter failures, then based on the same criteria (sets sitting on shelves) then so are in-house sets. City is a top seller for LEGO, yet I see City sets clearanced, and often sit on shelves during clearance.
    ShibstluxBumblepantsSumoLegogmonkey76
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
    ^that last point is one I often bring up when people talk about shelf warmer sets.

Yes it could be that the theme didn't sell well but it could also be that a particular retailer (or retail group) over stocked a particular theme. This is what I think happened with Unikitty - Tesco exclusivity made them over confident so they over stocked, when they tried to clearance them it took too long and other retailers were already selling them making them even less desirable.

Did LEGO over produce the sets or did the retailers over order? 
    dmcc0AanchirSumoLegoLyichirgmonkey76pharmjod
    Yes, and worse still with the apparent overprice as well. Tesco may well have sold them all if the price was right, but they seemed to over order for sale at the RRP. 

It is also a strange way to handle exclusivity. If similar ranges are going to be time exclusive, I probably wouldn't buy until other stores get them and compete.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 744
    ^ Or maybe a theme actually sold very well, and only a few had to be clearanced. Those are the ones we see- because they're still on the shelf. We can't see the ones that sold at full price.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,609
    ^ OR if it looks like a duck... 
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,256
    And of course by the time a set is sitting on a shelf, LEGO have already made their money from it.  If they sell thousands to the wholesalers/retailers then the only reason for worry is if those people don't buy similar quantities of future product.  

If they don't already, canny retailers should base their income predictions on having to sell EVERYTHING they stock at a reduced price, so everything that sells at full RRP is just extra profit.
    klinton
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,138
    SMC said:
    What if it looks like a duck but is actually Deadpool?
    BumblepantsSMCdmcc0gmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,605
    Baby_Yoda said:
    SMC said:
    What if it looks like a duck but is actually Deadpool?
    What if it weighs the same as a duck and therefore is a witch?
    datsunrobbiepxchrisgmonkey76Baby_YodapharmjodMr_Cross
    ^ Or maybe a theme actually sold very well, and only a few had to be clearanced. Those are the ones we see- because they're still on the shelf. We can't see the ones that sold at full price.
    This is where other tools can help a bit - such as comments on deals type websites once something is reduced.

Also, in the past (not in tesco though) I have stacked sets in a certain way. In one stock, I stacked the remaining brickheadz Rey on top of Leia on top of Rey on top of Leia and left them on the shelf. The same stack being there a month later indicates that they didn't sell. Of course, they may have sold 100s of them and those ones weren't touched, but I doubt it.

Baby_Yoda
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,621
    edited May 10
    pharmjod said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    I'm just imagining you asking them in jar jar's voice...
    Whysa whysa weesa weesa here, okey-daye?  
    Pitfall69gmonkey76pharmjoddavetheoxygenman