Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,239
    ^^ Was in my dark ages when the first SW sets came out, personally I have no interest in old yellow headed SW characters, especially when you compare to what TLG are releasing these days. I suspect these will have a very limited audience interested in chasing down all of them.
    Pitfall69Bumblepants
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 61
    VorpalRyu said:
    ^^ Was in my dark ages when the first SW sets came out, personally I have no interest in old yellow headed SW characters, especially when you compare to what TLG are releasing these days. I suspect these will have a very limited audience interested in chasing down all of them.
    I think the “20th Anniversary” prints on the back of the torsos may ruin the “replica” aspect for some collectors, as well
    VorpalRyu
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 74
    ^
    Would the printing on the back of the torso be easy to remove?  If so, then that's an easy fix for those who dislike it.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    bpk2300 said:
    VorpalRyu said:
    I think the “20th Anniversary” prints on the back of the torsos may ruin the “replica” aspect for some collectors, as well
    That and the heads are different and the leg molds are different. 
    VorpalRyu
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,782
    Pitfall69 said:
    Oh my; page "666" of this thread.
    Well, this is a 'Beast' of a Forum Topic.
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsSprinkleOtterAstrobricksMr_CrossPitfall69
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    ericb said:
    ^
    Would the printing on the back of the torso be easy to remove?  If so, then that's an easy fix for those who dislike it.
    If you were going to do that, you might as well just buy the original figures - they aren't very expensive at all. Not trying to be rude, just pointing that out. I guess you could say I'm... playing devil's advocate...
    BumblepantsVorpalRyu
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,708
    Baby_Yoda said:
    . I guess you could say I'm... playing devil's advocate...
    Is it possible to learn this power?
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuMr_CrossBaby_YodaPitfall69
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 934
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ericb said:
    ^
    If you were going to do that, you might as well just buy the original figures - they aren't very expensive at all. Not trying to be rude, just pointing that out. I guess you could say I'm... playing devil's advocate...

@Baby_Yoda - have you checked Bricklink recently?  The cheapest price of a complete/used Lando (sw0105) from 10123 is £86.08 (approx. $158 AUD)!

Lobot said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ericb said:
    ^

@Baby_Yoda - have you checked Bricklink recently?  The cheapest price of a complete/used Lando (sw0105) from 10123 is £86.08 (approx. $158 AUD)!

The lando isnt yellowfaced though. That was the first flesh colored minifigure and he came with a super rad space cape. He is the exception, not the rule. 
    gmonkey76
    I really made that comment for the sake of the pun, but yes, I've also been surprised in the past to see the low prices original figures sell for. I guess if you want a Luke or Leia on display, it looks better to have a flashy 2019 version than a dirty old 1999 version.
    gmonkey76
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I really made that comment for the sake of the pun, but yes, I've also been surprised in the past to see the low prices original figures sell for. I guess if you want a Luke or Leia on display, it looks better to have a flashy 2019 version than a dirty old 1999 version.
    I see what you are saying. For display purposes, the Hot Toys Star Wars 6th scale figures are so much better than Hasbro's versions and leaps and bounds better than the original 12" Kenner Line but I would be in awe to see all the original 12" Kenner Action figures on display. Cloud City Boba Fett is nothing compared to the new versions of Boba Fett and their detail, but I'd still be taken aback seeing CC Boba in someone's display.
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76
    ^ Yes, but you can't get CC Boba Fett on eBay for $11 plus free postage.
    Pate5346
  • lkliment2lkliment2 ChicagoMember Posts: 77
    Baby_Yoda said:
    . I guess you could say I'm... playing devil's advocate...
    Is it possible to learn this power?
    Not from a Jedi...
    SumoLegoVorpalRyuBumblepantsBaby_Yodadmcc0gmonkey76
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Lobot said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ericb said:
    ^

Btw,
    does anybody know if the cape from the anniversary Version is the same as the original? I have a original Lando which is missing his cape!
    edited April 9
    ^I'd say it is different. The newer capes have a different pattern than the old capes. If you compare a photo of the 20th Anniversary CC Lando with the original; you can see the difference. If you compare the 20th Anniversary Lando Cape to any of the new capes; the pattern matches.

So, the 20th Anniversary Lando is significantly different than the original if you look close enough.
    gmonkey76Baby_Yoda
    Does anyone know what's up with Brickpicker? I'm actually asking about the "Brickfolio". It hasn't been updated in almost 3.5 months. Also, it seems that there are no "values" on MANY sets and CMF's. Certainly, even the most unpopular set or CMF has a "value". I love the idea of the "Brickfolio", but it isn't at all accurate enough to take seriously. 
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 696
    @Pitfall69 ; I usually check out Brickpicker prices to value items I'm selling on, but I wasn't aware of the brickfolio, but checked it out after reading your post.  Upon importing my sets via brickset they are all showing, but nothing more recent than December 2018; nothing for this year, even though I literally added them in the last hour.  Not much help, but at least confirms it's not just you having issues.
    Pitfall69
    edited April 9
    Thanks for doing that. Most of my sets got imported, but some items didn't; like my SDCC minifigures, some sets, books and gear. I had to manually add those items. I've had my "Brickfolio" for few years, but over the last year I've become frustrated because some pictures don't match what the set is, some CMF descriptions don't match the picture given, there aren't values on many of my items and the overall "Brickfolio" hasn't been updating every month. 
    I don't mean to be critical, but this is what I mean.
    ...and this.Do these minifigures have no value? 

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,380
    ^ Maybe it’s because your battery is low ;-)
    Pitfall69brickventuresSumoLegoBumblepantsSprinkleOttergmonkey76
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    edited April 9
    I can’t believe the lag with brickpicker. I mean how is it even a valuable tool? So much is left as zeros and values for some sets seem much more generous than it should. I don’t really think it’s worth the time to review.
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 343
    Pitfall69 said:
    ...and this.Do these minifigures have no value? 

If you are looking to do a spring cleaning clear out of some of this valueless junk, I can give you my address and pay for shipping. 
    Baby_YodaAstrobricksLittleLorigmonkey76Pitfall69
    While we are having a laugh at my valueless collection of CMF's; my series 15, 18, Ninjago Movie, Batman Series 2 and Harry Potter are also worthless ;)

I thought that the values come from completed listing from Ebay and/or Bricklink??? Are you telling me that none of these CMF's have been bought/sold on either site? Even if the completed sale is 6 months old, that "sale" should be reflected in the "Brickfolio" until there is another sale. If there is no sale (highly unlikely) the retail value of the CMF should be a place holder until there is a sale. 
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 671
    This has been an issue on Brickpicker for the last 2 years. The updates for prices are so slow and infrequent that the site is essentially useless for pricing. I only use it for the forums to see when a good sale is on.
    Pitfall69pharmjodFollowsCloselybgl_84
    Diggydoes said:
    Lobot said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ericb said:
    ^

Btw,
    does anybody know if the cape from the anniversary Version is the same as the original? I have a original Lando which is missing his cape!
    I have a correction to make. The 20th Anniversary Lando Cape and Darth Vader's Cape are like the older capes. 
    Baby_YodaAstrobricksLEGOFan2
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 447
    kbw said:
    Tag on shelf that Parisian Restaurant is retiring soon at my local store. 
    I wondered how long that might last.  I wish you could trust [email protected] to be updated with the ‘retiring soon’ tag, but sometimes it isn’t.  Still.  Glad we picked this one up recently to add to our modular street while we can.
    LEGOFan2
    I am curious to see if they make more Star Wars scenes like the recent Hoth promo for May 4. If they did, the first one ought to increase in price from collectors who missed out but now want the whole series.

Bonus for us if another SW scene comes out in 2020 without the 20th anniversary tile and we get to argue about if its a series or not.
    560Heliportbandit778Ronyargmonkey76
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 796
    Seems like Lego is currently following the miniscale model for their gift with purchases starting with the Harry Potter, then the Avengers Tower, and now the Star Wars.  With the next movie coming out later this year, another Star Wars miniscale model is very possible.  But having a whole world of miniscale models would be cool!
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 387
    Seems like Lego is currently following the miniscale model for their gift with purchases starting with the Harry Potter, then the Avengers Tower, and now the Star Wars.  With the next movie coming out later this year, another Star Wars miniscale model is very possible.  But having a whole world of miniscale models would be cool!
    Isn't that what the "Architecture" theme is?!
    CurvedRoadPlate
    PJ76uk said:
    Isn't that what the "Architecture" theme is?!
    I think those would have to be considered nano-scale. Maybe Avengers Tower too.

By the way, isn’t TLG calling sets with the micro-figs “micro-scale”? If so, then the Hoth and HP GWP sets are nano-scale, and Architecture is pico-scale?
    Baby_Yoda
    I like to enjoy my Lego sets with spicy pico de gallo ;)
    SumoLegoAstrobricksSprinkleOttergmonkey76
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 796
    @PJ76uk I guess some of the Archetecture sets are but I was referring more towards the themed sets such as Super Heros and Star Wars (although as @Astrobricks pointed out, the size of the two don't really match).  It might be fun to get a miniscale (or whatever it is supposed to be called) helicarrier too to go with the Avengers Tower.
    Pitfall69
    I’d like to see a mini-scale helicarrier to go with mini-figs :)
    SumoLegoReesesPiecesM1J0E
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 387
    a miniscale helicarrier would be much easier to display! <--- the main reason why my #76042 is still boxed!
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,239
    Is this small enough?

MegtheCat560HeliportAstrobricksPitfall69SprinkleOtterprevere
    PJ76uk said:
    a miniscale helicarrier would be much easier to display! <--- the main reason why my #76042 is still boxed!
    My admittedly vague point was that a mini-scale one would be MINIfigure scaled, so, actually huge :)
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 807
    ^ I suppose I don't really need to use my garage for, you know, my car...
    AstrobricksMegtheCatM1J0EBaby_Yodagmonkey76Koolbrix2018
    ^ I suppose I don't really need to use my garage for, you know, my car...
    I thought I was the only one who actually did anymore :)
    SprinkleOtterMegtheCatKoolbrix2018
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 807
    Well, I have a double garage, but only one car, so...
    AstrobricksMegtheCat
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,436
    ^probably would have to sell the car to cover the cost of a Minifigure scale Helicarrier
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,124
    Pitfall69 said:
    Oh my; page "666" of this thread.
    Still going....
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Thread's dead baby. Thread's dead.
    AstrobricksCurvedRoadPlateFollowsCloselycaterham7
  • vaspvasp USAMember Posts: 73
    edited June 26
    Looks like 70618- destiny's bounty  is on its way out

Shows out in France, Germany & UK - June 15
    Thread's dead baby. Thread's dead.
    This thread is older than some kids I know.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,305
    ...murmur murmur murmur.... THE SACRIFICE HAS BEEN MADE.. BACK TO LIFE WITH YOU!!!!
    klintontamamahmBaby_YodaBumblepantsVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,782
    There is some irony that it stalled at page 666.  I'm not much of a short-term investor, so I don't pay too much attention.

I'd definitely be interested to know what oddball sets have had above-average ROI.
    tamamahmBaby_YodabrickventuresVorpalRyu
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 994
    @SumoLego....now you have me trying to figure out what would be an average ROI in the first place
    SumoLegoBaby_Yoda