Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 666
    Small victory at UK Intellectual Property Office: 

https://www.worldipreview.com/news/lego-scores-tm-victory-at-ukipo-17683
    LEGOFan2Baby_Yoda
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,303
    ^How could you almost get duped once no less twice by Lepin?
    CymbelineMuftak1SumoLegoLEGOFan2Baby_Yoda
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,498
    edited March 26
    He's not so shy.

(Or old enough to know who Great White used to be.)
    Pitfall69Baby_YodaCaptainPirateMan560Heliport
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    I've got underwear older than you. Heck, I might even have stuff in the back of my refrigerator older than you ;)
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaLEGOFan2SteveGSprinkleOttergmonkey76CommanderRaab
    Pitfall69 said:
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    I've got underwear older than you. Heck, I might even have stuff in the back of my refrigerator older than you ;)
    Why is your underwear in the refrigerator?
    pharmjodBaby_YodaBumblepantsbricknationThe_StudLEGOFan2AanchirSprinkleOttergmonkey76
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    (Or old enough to know who Winger was...)
    LEGOFan2CaptainPirateMan560Heliport
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,849
    SumoLego said:
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    What do you mean was?
    SumoLegoPitfall69LEGOFan2CaptainPirateMan
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,082
    edited March 26
    Pitfall69 said:
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    I have Lego sets older than that. I have Lego older than me, as well, though...
    davetheoxygenmanPitfall69LEGOFan2SprinkleOttergmonkey76
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,185
    I've got sets that were released the year I was born (1976), it shows how slowly Lego products made there way to Australia back then. I got the #891 Two Seater Space Scooter for my fifth birthday (it was a brand new set in store at Myer that year) & Brickset has it as being released in 1979.
    Pitfall69LEGOFan2Baby_Yoda
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,315
    Small victory at UK Intellectual Property Office: 

https://www.worldipreview.com/news/lego-scores-tm-victory-at-ukipo-17683
    I wonder how many of the Lepin sets are actually sold in the UK. Not sold to people in the UK, but sold in the UK. Deboxing a set removes the logo (and the artwork) and so that removes the problem.
    Pitfall69LEGOFan2
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 264
    alaskaguy said:
    If you HAVE a boatload of money, you can often get the law to work for you.  If not, you MIGHT get the law to work for you...if you're really lucky and have the time and energy for it.

This is the most sensible thing said in this thread.  Yes, the law is there.  Yes, there are agencies that are supposed to be enforcing it.  It is also true that in the case of some foreign company copying your Lego design, you are pretty much left without recourse.
    LEGOFan2
    Frigid britches!
    VorpalRyudavetheoxygenmanSprinkleOtterLEGOFan2gmonkey76
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 329
    SumoLego said:
    LEGO Fan said:
    Nope. I am only 16
    You dont know what you've got til it's gone. We can go Round and Round until one of us decides that We're not gonna take it. At the end of the day I'm just looking for Something to believe in.
    LEGOFan2Pitfall69SumoLegoBaby_YodaBumblepants560Heliportgmonkey76
    edited March 28
    ^Where in Michigan are you located?
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76
    Pitfall69 said:
    Clearly, somewhere between 1984 and 1990.  (I'm thinking the Ratt reference is the winner on that one!)
    VorpalRyuBaby_YodaBumblepantsSprinkleOtterCaptainPirateMangmonkey76TheOriginalSimonB
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Clearly, somewhere between 1984 and 1990.  (I'm thinking the Ratt reference is the winner on that one!)
    I just wanted to know how many Miles Away he was?
    VorpalRyuSprinkleOtterSumoLegogmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    Pitfall69 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    I just wanted to know how many Miles Away he was?

MaffyD said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yes, and that's even after watching The Fast and the Furious movie series more than once in the past week ;)
    Ludacris is in five of those films though so that is a high bar for ludicrous.
    No, he doesn't - I have a mental filter that removes him and his dialogue from all those films. Funnily enough, it makes very little difference to the plot.
    One Step Away. 
    SprinkleOtterSumoLegogmonkey76
    There's a Tesla concern in Grand Rapids on April 10th, he'll probably be there.
    CaptainPirateMan
    Pitfall69 said:
    A small town in between Lansing and Flint called New Lothrop. 

Are you from MI?
    Pitfall69
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Guns n Roses is STILL my favorite band.
    SumoLego
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 515
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    And Guns n Roses had the album Chinese Democracy which (in my mind) brings this thread back on topic! 

Six degrees of Axl Rose?
    pharmjodBaby_YodaPitfall69AanchirCaptainPirateManBumblepantsdmcc0
    Pitfall69 said:
    A small town in between Lansing and Flint called New Lothrop. 

Are you from MI?
    Yes. Canton Township.
    CaptainPirateMan
    eggshen said:
    And Guns n Roses had the album Chinese Democracy which (in my mind) brings this thread back on topic! 

Six degrees of Axl Rose?
    90 degrees, but it is 6L.

BumblepantsLittleLoriSumoLegoCaptainPirateManPitfall69SprinkleOtterdmcc0Baby_Yoda
    eggshen said:
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:

Six degrees of Axl Rose?
    I can honestly say I NEVER thought I would see a Chinese Democracy post on this forum, lol.

I actually post on Mygnrforum.com as well, so for me (in my best castanza voice) "worlds are colliding!!!"
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    edited April 26
    News found on thebrickfan.com: Lepin factories were raided and boss arrested..
    BumblepantsBaby_YodaFizyxstluxFireheartJern92Mr_CrossLEGOFan2
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    Looks like we may have seen the last of Lepin!!
    LEGOFan2
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited April 26
    While stocks last!
    LEGOFan2
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 638
    edited April 26
    Reddit thread with rough translation to English of an article about: https://www.reddit.com/r/lepin/comments/bhi58s/lepin_factory_raided_in_china/

Apparently a ton of existing stock was also destroyed.

EDIT:  Excerpt from linked thread:
    On April 23, with the cooperation of police in Shantou and Shenzhen, the Shanghai police successfully destroyed the criminal gang suspected of infringing the copyright of the “Lego” brand, arrested four suspects headed by Li, and smashed production and packaging. 3 warehouses, warehouses, etc., more than 10 assembly lines, more than 90 production molds, nearly 200,000 manuals, more than 200,000 packaging boxes, more than 630,000 finished products , more than 200 million yuan .

FireheartMr_CrossLEGOFan2LyichirPitfall69Baby_Yodagmonkey76Cyberdragon
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    Muftak1 said:
    Looks like we may have seen the last of Lepin!!
    Does that mean Lepin sets will now skyrocket in value and appreciate much more than EOL Lego sets?
    SumoLegoBoomstickLEGOFan2pharmjodbgl_84Pitfall69Baby_Yodagmonkey76
  • gantaratgantarat bangkok,thailandMember Posts: 35
    For How Long ?
    Lepin own by  Guangdong Loongon is one of big china toy company (that probably back up by China Goverment)

I heard they make just make new factory few month ago.
    So they will back with new logo and box.
    LEGOFan2pharmjodgmonkey76
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    gantarat said:
    For How Long ?
    Lepin own by  Guangdong Loongon is one of big china toy company (that probably back up by China Goverment)

I heard they make just make new factory few month ago.
    So they will back with new logo and box.
    Maybe, maybe not. Recently I think China recently, or not so recently, recognized LEGO as a premier company or something like that. So, now that LEGO is employing a lot of Chinese employees and making product there, I think it makes the govt have more incentive to stop such activities. I'm sure that is what LEGO bought, when they were 'recognized' by the Chinese Govt.
    Im sure it is also PR for China to say to other companies 'look, we take infringement seriously (as long as you 'pay the piper' first anyway).

FizyxAanchir
    I need to see "The Lepin Brick" 1 and 2 now!!!
    LEGOFan2Fizyxgmonkey76
    They got shut down right before they made M-Mint Lepiniski and Widestallion Exclusive Bricknoggins.

LEGOFan2FizyxdavetheoxygenmanFowlerBricksgmonkey76
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 746
    In the Lepin Brick 2, wonder if they will have the actual Lego Harry Potter show up.

The whole Lepin knock-off thing might be a fun theme for another Lego movie.  It can follow the whole Invasion of the Body Snatchers idea like the first movie did with the Matrix.
    FizyxPitfall69bgl_84Baby_Yoda
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 392
    I love the quote from the police in the BBC News report:

“In October 2018, the Shanghai police found that Lepin building blocks available on the market were extremely similar to that of Lego," police said.

Presumably because the authorities there are notoriously lax in their oversight of goings on in the country... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48076505
    gratefulnat

Geek translate some line and look like propaganda much.

https://www.geek.com/culture/police-bust-massive-counterfeit-lego-operation-1784719/

“seriously, did you think we wouldn’t find out about this?” 

I don't think Their factory location it's secret ?

Shanghai police also arrested four suspects and proclaimed that they had “destroyed the criminal gang.” They also destroyed the gang’s equipment just to make sure that the operation wouldn’t just be fired right back up as soon as they exited the building.
    Oh, and they also found almost $30 million in cash lying around. That’s a good indication that Lepin had been doing rather well with its knockoffs.

Um, What !!?

LEGOFan2Baby_Yoda
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    The crooks shall be recycled along with their cointerfeiting equipment.
    LEGOFan2
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,774
    It's a good job Lepin are guilty as sin, seeing as the authorities trashed expensive manufacturing equipment before convicting them.
    LEGOFan2
    Has it been made clear yet what they are guilty of? I know that they were found guilty of copying a small number of now-retired sets. Were they told to stop the production of copy-cat sets then? It may also be a bad sign if the police are allowed to smash any clone moulds - after all, some of the moulds shown in the destruction were for parts long out of trademark / copyright.

I have no problem with them shutting down operations where LEGO sets are being ripped off, but I think it would be damaging to all LEGO users if all clone brands get caught up in this. Many cheaper brands of clone bricks (but not fake sets) are made in China.

Hail,Hydra !!

CCC said:
    Has it been made clear yet what they are guilty of? I know that they were found guilty of copying a small number of now-retired sets. Were they told to stop the production of copy-cat sets then? It may also be a bad sign if the police are allowed to smash any clone moulds - after all, some of the moulds shown in the destruction were for parts long out of trademark / copyright.

I have no problem with them shutting down operations where LEGO sets are being ripped off, but I think it would be damaging to all LEGO users if all clone brands get caught up in this. Many cheaper brands of clone bricks (but not fake sets) are made in China.

I think brand that focus on minifig like Decool,SY,Xinh and Pogo is gonna be fine.

Lego target Lepin because they copy every lego set.

a least Decool and SY have mocs set
    gantarat said:
    I think brand that focus on minifig like Decool,SY,Xinh and Pogo is gonna be fine.

Lego target Lepin because they copy every lego set.

a least Decool and SY have mocs set
    The interesting thing here is that the minifigure parts are still copyright (MegaBloks and so on are not allowed to copy the parts) plus many of the fake / clone minifigures also copy either genuine LEGO ones, or they infringe on other companies' properties.
    Aanchirgmonkey76
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 341
    CCC said:

Good point, thanks for that.  I hadn’t thought about it like that, but there’s definitely a difference between copying an individual part for which any patent has expired, and using those parts to make your own IP, vs. blatantly copying current LEGO IP.  Is it possible this is further evidence, as has been suggested, that this lepin thing is all a PR stunt?  It would be easy for them to cooperate with authorities to donate molds which were slated for destruction anyways as they’ve exceeded their cycles or tolerances or whatever and due to be replaced.  
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 264
    edited April 29
    I know a guy who is 100% convinced that Lepin is actually Lego, so the scenario just presented would be completely plausible to him.
    M1J0ESprinkleOtterBaby_Yoda
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 262
    hahahahahaha!
    seriously?
    Internet & conspiracy theory is like supplying heat to a petri dish of bacteria - it will multiply exponentially.
    stluxM1J0EBaby_Yodagmonkey76
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 248
    hahahahahaha!
    seriously?
    Internet & conspiracy theory is like supplying heat to a petri dish of bacteria - it will multiply exponentially.
    Actually exponential growth occurs in liquid media, since nutrients are available all around the bacterial cells and the metabolic byproducts don't get accumulated in the vicinity (at least in initial stages). In a Petri dish that's not the case.
    On the other hand, conspiracy theories occur in all kinds of media. 😉
    BoomstickFizyxBaby_Yodagmonkey76BOBJACK_JACKBOB