Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Wonderful World of Disney LEGO!

12346»

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,202
    Although that close up render does make me wonder about the dual molding of that pair of legs. It appears the right leg is green on the upper section, as you can see the sharp edge of the green underneath the printing, and on the inside of the leg. Whereas the left leg appears to be dark orange or similar on the upper section, as you can see this at the edges of the print, especially on the corner where the prints do not line up, and at the edge of that pink patch.
    wardm
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 640
    dmcc0 said:
    Agree that the Mickey & Minnie are an odd decision given the ideas set. Edna seems a little odd too given the recent polybag, although the CMF one does look a little better IMO
    I think you might have it sort of twisted—Mickey and Minnie are most likely in this one BECAUSE of the Ideas set. Creating the new molds for the minifigures series was likely the only way they managed to justify producing them, considering minifigures series tend to be produced in great enough quantities to justify the budget for new molds whereas Ideas sets do not. They managed something similar with Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver debuting in Dimensions.

I'm not really a Disney collector so most of the series doesn't hold much appeal to me, but most of the figs do look great.
    BrickByBrickgmonkey76The_Stud
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 580
    Whatever the reason for including, given the ridiculous price of the Ideas set some may be tempted to just pick up the CMF versions instead.  Not complaining, just doesn't fit with the usual LEGO way of putting the most desirable figs in an expensive set.  They might even be chase figs as the box distribution isn't known yet as far as I'm aware.

It would've actually made more sense to make a set of 20 then just have 3 full sets like TLM2 CMFs; it's not as if there are any obvious army builders in there apart from maybe Hercules that people might want multiples of.
    gmonkey76
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 674
    Goofy and Pluto would make 20 total. They could use Scooby-doo's body, then a new sculpt for Pluto's head. 
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 103
    Anyone have a dream line-up for a Disney Series 3? Here's mine:

- Goofy
    - Webby
    - Darkwing Duck
    - Lilo
    - Miguel from Coco
    - Hector from Coco
    - Ralph (Wreck-it-Ralph)
    - Vanellope (Wreck-it-Ralph)
    - Mary Poppins
    - Pooh
    - Tigger
    - Piglet
    - Mulan
    - Judy (Zootopia)
    - Nick (Zootopia)
    - Robin Hood
    - Roger Rabbit
    - Merlin
    - Mickey (Sorcerer's Apprentice)
    - Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
    pxchrisdragon114wardmblakusdk
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,334
    edited March 21
    I always look towards upcoming DVD and movie releases as marketin... er... inspiration for the figure choices in these series.

(There's fair bit of general Disney celebration nonsense for Mickey and Minnie, Frozen 2, Aladdin, Incredibles 2...)

I am a bit surprised there aren't a couple of Mulan characters to do some subtle promotion of next year's live-action movie.   Instead of those rather random Hercules figures.  (Not that I'm complaining about them - I like those figures.  A Chernabog would be very cool for an upcoming series
    ... with a Sorcerer's Mickey and a broom or two.)
    wardmgmonkey76
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,351
    The addition of Jasmine and Jafar could be explained by the live-action film coming out soon. Not that I think they needed an extra reason to add them to this series, but it would make sense to me as to one reason they're there. 

I thought more about the series last night and looked closer at the pictures and decided even more that I'm thrilled with all of them. Despite not being a huge Hercules fan, I think the two characters are still well done. Would I have selected others to be in the series before a handful of these? Would it have been nice to know Supreme Leader Snoke's backstory? Absolutely! (wait a second...) The fact remains that I'm not in control of which characters they release, so I'll be happy with what I get. 
    SumoLegowardmkhmellymelsnowhitie
    Lyichir said:
    I think you might have it sort of twisted—Mickey and Minnie are most likely in this one BECAUSE of the Ideas set. Creating the new molds for the minifigures series was likely the only way they managed to justify producing them, considering minifigures series tend to be produced in great enough quantities to justify the budget for new molds whereas Ideas sets do not. They managed something similar with Doctor Who's sonic screwdriver debuting in Dimensions.

I'm not really a Disney collector so most of the series doesn't hold much appeal to me, but most of the figs do look great.
    It didn't even make 10000 votes until July 2018, and the decision panel was obviously much later than that. So if these are only in the CMF because of the Ideas set, it suggests something else got bumped off the CMF - they often state that the CMF are designed and planned a year / long before their release.
    SumoLegoThe_Stud
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 653
    I, for one, would like a Jessica Rabbit minifigure...
    gmonkey76The_StudToc13
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 348
    jmeninno said:
    I, for one, would like a Jessica Rabbit minifigure...
    Talk about pushing the limits as to how much 3D perspective you can print onto a flat surface...
    pharmjodgmonkey76Muftak1The_StudToc13
    They could always use a Bombur style hairpiece that extends lower down.
    wardmgmonkey76The_Stud
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 348
    Hahahaha @CCC that would be hilarious (and wrong, so, so wrong!).
    gmonkey76The_Stud
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,292
    ^ Three! Frozone, Nick Fury, Mace Windu.
    And all of them are owned by Disney. :D
    SumoLegoThe_Stud
    I'm not holding my breath for a Mr. Glass or Jules Winnfield minifigure.

(But maybe a Stacks Edwards!)
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 298
    While it may seem random for a theme like Hercules or Jack and Sally, it's really no more random than the first wave, when you had a few classic characters and then some more recent ones.  There is a balance between classic and new Disney stuff; plus it's a good excuse to hold figures back for another series ;)
    SumoLegowardmPitfall69gmonkey76
    Jack and Sally are still pretty popular figures.  It's not a coincidence that they show up prominently in video games, toys, at the Disney Parks, etc.

They were amongst the Brickheadz, so it doesn't surprise me that they were in this CMF mix.

Hercules, on the other hand - he's shuffled in with those not-quite-super-successful Disney movies.  I'd posit that Hades is disproportionately more prelavent in the Disney villains pantheon that what the success of the movie would warrant.

There are those Disney 'classics' that aren't so classic.  (Home on the Range.)
    Pitfall69dmcc0snowhitie
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    edited March 22
    Or how about 1 dwarf per series? Then make him a chase figure, one per case.
    Gibbo1959SumoLegoPitfall69pharmjoddmcc0sid3windr
    oldtodd33 said:
    I would only agree with this if that would guarantee seven more CMF series coming down the pike. 

Otherwise... boo!  BOOOOOO!!!!
    Pitfall69Switchfoot55oldtodd33MegtheCatgmonkey76BrickByBrickpharmjoddmcc0brickmatt
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,223
    oldtodd33 said:
    Short packed dwarfs?
    oldtodd33klintondavetheoxygenmanSumoLegopharmjoddmcc0560Heliport
    And one per case ... dwarf shortage. (Jimmy Carr shortest joke)
    oldtodd33davetheoxygenmanSumoLegoBrickByBrickPitfall69
    How about 3 pairs of exclusive dwarves, for B&N, Target, and Walmart, one dwarf available only directly through The Lego House in Billund, and make Snow White a Comic Con Honolulu exclusive. 
    I like this idea more than seven chase figures.  This only gets a 60% boo.  BOOOO!!
    datsunrobbie
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,008

So there you have it, even though Steamboat Willie was revealed first the CMFs were actually developed first. 
    BumblepantswardmLostInTranslationdatsunrobbieSumoLegoThe_Studstluxsnowhitie
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 525
    I guess that’s the reason they put silver on the steamboat willie figures, to make them ‘more special’? 
    The_Stud
    It is the 90th Anniversary of Steamboat Willie - so nobody should be surprised by this.  There is a fair amount of merchandise and promotions going on for this rather arbitrary anniversary.
    wardmThe_Stud
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    I’m late to the party, but I do love the Steamboat Willie set. Growing up as a big Disney fan, I’ve always wanted a Lego set depicting Mickey Mouse’s first appearance and now finally we have one! I think everything about the set is great except for the price. As with many other people in this thread, I’m going to wait for a sale; most likely when Amazon starts selling it for 20% off.

As for the new CMF series, I think it looks great, but it lacks the “wow” factor the first series had if that makes sense. With the first series, well over half of the figures were must-haves for me and while I’m definitely looking forward fo picking up the complete set for Disney Series 2, none of the figures are as mindblowing as the ones from the first. Tangent aside, my favorites are the Vintage Mickey and Minnie (even though they are identical to the ones from the set), the Ducktales quartet, and Jasmine. I’m pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of Edna Mode (one that doesn’t give me nightmares...) and Frozone and am also surprised that these are the only Pixar figures included. 

Hopefully Goofy and Pluto will be included in a future D2C set or CMF series, because their omission is rather puzzling. Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the recently-revealed Lego Disney products.
    BrickByBrickMegtheCat
    The_Stud said:
    my favorites are the Vintage Mickey and Minnie (even though they are identical to the ones from the set)
    They aren't.
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    CCC said:
    The_Stud said:
    my favorites are the Vintage Mickey and Minnie (even though they are identical to the ones from the set)
    They aren't.
    Except for some silver printing, they’re close enough to me.
    pharmjod
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 298
    The_Stud said:
    CCC said:
    The_Stud said:
    They aren't.
    Except for some silver printing, they’re close enough to me.

But they technically aren't.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,769
    So, as per the homepage the box distribution seems to be:

Four each of

• Vintage Mickey
    • Vintage Minnie
    • Scrooge McDuck
    • Chip
    • Dale
    • Anna *
    • Elsa *
    • Hades
    • Frozone

Three each of

• Jafar *
    • Jasmine
    • Hercules *
    • Sally
    • Jack Skellington *
    • Edna Mode

Two each of

• Huey
    • Dewie
    • Louie
    Seems strange to me that they did the vintage figures 4 in a box, but good for Anna and Elsa, can imagine those will be very popular with kids! Annyoing to have 2 only of the cousins, but better that than one chase figure I guess.
    The_StudSumoLegosklambLego_Stargmonkey76MegtheCat
    monkyby87 said:
    But they technically aren't.
    But technically they is not.
    I notice the pictures are up on flickrbefore the review is published ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickset/

I find the Chip and Dale tails a bit disappointing - shame they couldn't have used a moulded tail.

wardm
12346»