Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Five Below

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,475
edited June 2017 in Shopping USA/Canada
I was made aware of this store yesterday thanks to another member, so I checked one out today. I didn't see an existing thread for it so I started this one. The deals don't seem that great there. It is a "five dollar store" after all.

The one in Eagan had one almost empty box of S17 CMFs, and one of the little $5 Creator boxes (all at RRP). But they did have a pile of Dimensions Fun Packs at $5. All Chima except for several pegs of Gimli, of which I took one.

madforLEGOIceCreamCloneFowlerBricksLEGOFan2

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Some times The Five Below stores also get poly bags, but typically the general city and Friends ones.. actually I think it has been some time since they last had those of any kind
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 569
    The one near me usually only has the $5 creator sets or a few boxes of CMF at the checkout. They had a few dimension sets a few months ago in wheelbarrows at the entrance but that was also when people were finding them at 99 cent stores. 

Can always rely to stop by and pick up some CMF here when they go out of stock elsewhere.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,475
    edited December 2017
    Found a Five Below at Mall of America yesterday and checked for cheap LEGO. They had a bunch of Dimensions fun packs at $5 (just Gimli and Chima Eris that I saw), and some of the little creative boxes also at $5, so no real deals.

I also saw they have at least three knock-off brands, one of which seems to be their own house brand.
  • solid_stridersolid_strider TexasMember Posts: 205
    Just stopped bye a Five Below and saw #30475, #30521, #30524 and #30546 on an endcap. They also had a Ninjago magazine with Lloyd in one of the foil packs. I didn't look too closely at it, but it was probably this one:

https://brickset.com/sets/TNM471701-1/Lloyd

I was hoping they'd have the Star Wars magazines, but that was it.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    Wow, those are 3 of the few Dimensions sets that I have not yet tracked down. I've been holding off on buying from bricklink until all my options are gone. looks like it is time for my parka, as I head towards 5 below ;)
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    krklint said:
    Wow, those are 3 of the few Dimensions sets that I have not yet tracked down. I've been holding off on buying from bricklink until all my options are gone. looks like it is time for my parka, as I head towards 5 below ;)
    LMK if you can’t find them.

i still have a couple from the 99cent store purge.
    krklint
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,117
    I saw these at 5 Below yesterday....
    madforLEGO77ncaachamps
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 740
    edited May 2018
    Interesting... Wonder if that Lloyd is exclusive. Not sure if the Imperial Gunner is either
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,335
    Lloyd is exclusive, but I think his black Wu Cru outfit is available on other characters (so not really exclusive I guess). That is a good deal as that magazine is $10 at Wal Mart and Walgreens.
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 620
    edited May 2018
    Yeah I guess itsia good thing I haven't run to Walmart yet. If I can find these for five I'll buy a couple so I can have a full team in those suits. The figure also appears in #30532 turbo, but the unprinted mask only appears in those two sets
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 686
    Just stopped in a new 5 Below here in Iowa and pretty much all they had were #30381 Star Wars Imperial Fighter for $5.00.  Are polybags normally that high at these places?
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,950
    (The store is called '5 Below'...)

But yes, the default retail price for polys is $4.99.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 740
    Here in the south retail is usually $3.99.
    MegtheCat
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,230
    Cheapest you can get 'em down here is about $20.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,838
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I am glad to know I am not the only one who browses threads of obscure shops in places I don't live! It will all pay off when I visit Benelux area in a few months and I know what was on sale for Christmas '18.
    gmonkey76AstrobricksBaby_Yoda
    scotty12 said:
    Just stopped in a new 5 Below here in Iowa and pretty much all they had were #30381 Star Wars Imperial Fighter for $5.00.  Are polybags normally that high at these places?
    Yeah, they bump things up to $5 that wouldn’t normally be that high (just like lots of the crap at dollar stores). But if you scan polybags on Brickset you’ll notice a lot of them don’t have RRP listed. We’re just used to seeing the price at Walmart and target where they’re usually $4.
    LEGOFan2
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,230
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I am glad to know I am not the only one who browses threads of obscure shops in places I don't live! It will all pay off when I visit Benelux area in a few months and I know what was on sale for Christmas '18.
    Yeah, I clicked on it one time from the "All Discussions" page out of curiosity (having never heard the name before) and keep accidentally coming back to it thanks to the "X new" notification making me click it without thinking. Figured I might as well contribute.

Back to the main topic, although I've never been to Five Below, it sounds very lovely, and if I ever go there I'll know exactly what I'm doing.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Five Below also typically gets CMF series as well (for 3.99 per pack still). Sometimes they get Polys, but typically it is an older one that has been seen at a lot of different stores previously.
    Though it would be interesting to see Five Below make a deal to get exclusive polys (since TRU is currently out of the picture)...
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 686
    I've always seen the discussions and 5 Below just moved into/across Iowa with a bunch of stores.  So if they've made it this far...there's got to be hope for almost all the 50 states. 
  • legomasonlegomason Member Posts: 190
    ^ That would not be $5 below then?
    LEGOFan2
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    edited April 8
    Sales tax of 7.80%?? Not sure where the member lives though.
    LEGOFan2
    edited April 8
    Sales tax of 7.80%?? Not sure where the member lives though.
    I’m guessing 8% tax on $4.99.

This is is one reason why I always state the price I paid before tax. Also because it makes me feel like I spent less ;-)
    LEGOFan2SprinkleOttermak0137
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 326
    Yeah, sales tax in my area (Dallas) is 8.25%, so if you buy a $4.99 item, you'll end up paying $5.40.
    LEGOFan2
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 569

Found all the way in the back of 5 Below.
    BumblepantsLegogramAstrobricksmadforLEGObrickventures
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,838
    I might look to see if I can get the Ghostbusters or Harry Potter ones for parts at that price. Thanks @Mynatt
    Mynatt
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 880
    I thought the name of the store meant $5 or less... I guess not!
    Astrobricks
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 620
    I picked up 2 of the ghostbusters ones back when they  were clearanced at walmart for the same price, I thought they were long gone by now.