Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

40 plus years LEGO collection - owner died

datadivasisdatadivasis Munfordville, KyMember Posts: 5
My brother in law passed away unexpectedly last Sept. He had collected LEGO for 40 years. When they moved to KY a few years ago, moving it required a 10 FT Uhaul truck and 2 trips.  If anyone is opening a store, or starting a business, there is enough to stock it. A nice business owner came down to evaluate, but could not afford to take over whole collection (business owner suggested value would be between $40,000 and $70,000)....If an entrepreneur or a club could round up $15,000 my sister would accept that.....and come get them.  If anyone is interested I have some photos..collection ranges from pirate ships and starwars craft displayed and in boxes...small sets, big sets, all eras, bulk color separated bins (30 gallon bins)- collection fills her basement...truly over whelming....not interested in cherry pickers...we are clueless, but understand that this is a truly "wow" collection.   
BumblepantspharmjodSumoLegoakunthitaMr_CrossmadforLEGOBaby_YodaFowlerBrickspxchrisLEGOFan2

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,188
    I'm not sure a valuation range larger than the low value is helpful, but a Fabuland Town Hall is fairly unusual.  (Not super-valuable, but interesting.)

That looks like a pretty extensive collection.  Are the sets all sealed in the bins, or have they been opened and displayed?

@samiam391
    LEGOFan2
  • datadivasisdatadivasis Munfordville, KyMember Posts: 5
    a lot of boxes are sealed, some have been opened, he collected all sorts for a very long time...there are bins of unopened, bins of sorted colors, part boxes of small unique parts, bins that we can't get to without unloading stacks of bins. We are in our seventies, so the whole project is pretty overwhelming.
    SumoLegomadforLEGO
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 728
    I would think it would be worth the money to hire a small staff to inventory and liquidate the collection for you, no? I get that she just wants to be rid of it all, but selling the sets individually at lower than market prices would still move them rapidly while ballooning your potential profits. 
    madforLEGOFollowsClosely
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Post this on the BrickLink Forum. I'm sure a seller there would be happy to take over this collection and take care of the sorting listing, and reselling.
    pharmjodSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,386
    I'm in Nashville. I don't have any interest in it but we have a LUG meeting next Saturday, I'll let people know about it.

I can't think of anyone likely to be interested in buying the whole lot but I can think of two people who might be able to help you sell it in return for some percentage of the proceeds. You can private message me if you'd like me to ask about that, otherwise I'll just let people know you're trying to sell the whole collection.
    madforLEGO
    Thank you for suggestion re Bricklink, I just registered and did that !
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,736
    I am assuming that you don't have a list of sets, correct?
    no list, that might be our next step, but it would be a huge job and a pretty physical one...I don't want to call us elderly, but we are in our seventies :-)
    SumoLego
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,391
    My condolences;

All the above suggestions are about what I would offer as well, but I would like to make a couple of suggestions. I think it would be good to maybe take the sets out of the bins and arrange the collection.so it can be seen better. It may be time consuming, but well worth it. I know that it all needs to go, but it may be better to post smaller lots on Ebay. I would group all the Classic Pirate sets and Castle sets and sell those lots separately. $15,000+ is a lot of money to part with, so not only will you have a better chance of selling them, but you probably get more money for them as well. 

Another option could be consignment. You can have someone list and sell them for you and the sets are out of your home/storage area and you don't have to worry about listing them and having to either ship them or deal with strangers wanting to pick up the lots from your home.
    pharmjodBumblepantsSumoLego
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 93
    edited March 3
    I understand you have a collection of considerable worth so this might not be a popular suggestion but have you considered donating it to a children's charity of some sort? I only mention this because it's something that's crossed my mind from time to time when thinking about my own collection.

I'm only 40 so hopefully I've got a bit of time left yet but I'm unmarried and childless, with no nephews and nieces either. If an accident were to befall me tomorrow then it will be my 65 year old parents that have to sort out what to do with my $20K of LEGO and about $80K of guitars, amps, recording gear and other assorted musical gizmos. They have no knowledge or interest in either of my two favourite hobbies so it would be a monumental task.

It's for this reason that I keep both collections well organised and neatly arranged and I've compiled detailed spreadsheets of what models are what, where I purchased it and how much I paid. I've told them that if they want to sell it, by all means do so and here's a spreadsheet to help, but if they really don't want to endure that hassle then I'm more than happy for them to give it all away as long as it goes to children's charities, hospital wards or even elementary schools in low income areas, whatever.

I don't mean to presume what your relative's wishes were, but it might be another option if it all gets too overwhelming for you. Good luck either way!
    SteveG