Chinese New Year 80101

124»

Comments

• ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 814
    I ordered mine from an ebay seller from Korea.  I noticed that the entire ends (openings) are sealed with clear tape.  It has the original seals underneath.  Anyone know if this something that is common for Asian/Korean Lego sets?
  • green_papergreen_paper VancouverMember Posts: 10
    I ordered mine from an ebay seller from Korea.  I noticed that the entire ends (openings) are sealed with clear tape.  It has the original seals underneath.  Anyone know if this something that is common for Asian/Korean Lego sets?
    Interesting, I got mine from ToysRUs in HK and there is TRU tape on the ends too!
    ReesesPieces
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 801
    Theft is more prevalent in some stores so they do this as a deterrent. Not common, but I've certainly seen sets sealed this way.
    ReesesPieces
    Thanks @Jern92.  Umm...so it is from the store end.  That is interesting to know.
    edited February 19
    UPDATE: More Dragon Dance (80102) sets are now available on Toys r Us Online, but I will need to pay for shipping to get them delivered to me, so total cost per set shipped to your location is now MYR400 (as opposed to MYR350 before). I will only place an order with them if people are agreeable to this price.

I'm currently working my way down the list, but can those who previously indicated interest but have changed their minds notify me, so I can go straight to those who are still interested?

NOTE: I previously quoted prices in USD, but the exchange rate has changed quite a bit since last month, so now I'm sticking to MYR.
    madforLEGOPoochy
    UPDATE: Sold out again
    SumoLego
  • mdtvandymdtvandy USAMember Posts: 58
    I'm seeing a decent number available for around $120-$130 shipped. Is the retail price around $100 USD, so $130 isn't that unreasonable?
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Anyone else here have the dragon dance for sale or trade?
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,194
    @mdtvandy RRP is MYR 269.90 (USD 66) for #80101 and MYR 249.90 (USD 61) for #80102.

Whether USD 130 shipped is reasonable or not you can decide from @Jern92's offer who generously shipped #80102 at cost for MYR 350 (USD 86).
    Jern92SumoLego
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 616
    The sets are much more expensive in China, close to $100 USD IIRC
    SumoLego
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 91
    Just heard from @Jern92 and 80102 Dragon Dance is being shipped to me some time this week. I am so grateful that he has taken the time and trouble to help many of us who would otherwise have no access to these sets!
    SumoLegogmonkey76LittleLorikiki180703snowhitie
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    edited February 25
    I may be behind, but has anyone discussed #80103? I just saw it over on eBay.

*Watermarked image deleted*
    As far as I know #80103 will be released to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival which is June 7 in 2019. It will probably be released a month or so in advance.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 548
    samiam391 said:

I think at least one eBay store has used the confidential image but actually the description is for something else entirely- take care!
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    samiam391 said:

My mistake- apparently I'm blind and didn't see the watermark!
    #80102 arrived today in perfect condition thanks to @Jern92 and I just heard that #80101 is on it's way! Woohoo, good times!
    madforLEGOJern92kiki180703
  • PoochyPoochy USAMember Posts: 479
    @Jern92 Just want to publicly thank you for sending me 80101.  Mine arrived a few days ago, but I haven't had the time to pick up the mails until today.  Thanks again!
    SumoLegogmonkey76LittleLorikiki180703Jern92
    I just got #80101 from @Jern92 as well. It was well packed and arrived in perfect shape. Thank you again so much!
    PoochyJern92
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 447
    I'll be heading to Singapore in a week and was wondering if anyone happens to know whether Lego or TRU there still have either of these CNY sets in stock.  Thanks in advance!
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    edited April 1
    @Jern92 I have received the set and well packed. Thanks again!
    Jern92bpk2300kiki180703
    https://brickset.com/article/43442/lego-pledges-to-stop-launching-regional-exclusives

I'm guessing this means everyone will be able to get 80103 on their own?
    LEGOFan2Switchfoot55
  • bpk2300bpk2300 Florida Member Posts: 83
    Jern92 said:
    https://brickset.com/article/43442/lego-pledges-to-stop-launching-regional-exclusives

I'm guessing this means everyone will be able to get 80103 on their own?
    It depends on how you look at it. The press release says it will apply to regional exclusives released after May, so unfortunately I don’t think the Chinese New Year sets will be included in that. I’m very happy that LEGO took a new stance here however I’m supremely sad that I’m not any closer to getting the Dinner set :( 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,834
    I have heard rumblings that the dragon boat race set won't be included because the production run was already set well before this announcement.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    Well, LEGO specifically mentions #80101 and #80102 in their announcement, but not #80103 (although that could be because it is not officially announced yet).
    I think it all depends on the launch date. If it is released after May 1st, then #80103 should be available at LEGO stores (plus was production really finished before they made their decision?).
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 893
    Well, LEGO specifically mentions #80101 and #80102 in their announcement, but not #80103 (although that could be because it is not officially announced yet).
    I think it all depends on the launch date. If it is released after May 1st, then #80103 should be available at LEGO stores (plus was production really finished before they made their decision?).
    Yes, 80103 should be included, but do take note that the availability of these exclusive sets on Lego stores for countries other than the intended region of release is upto 6 months later, meaning the 80103 should see worldwide release not later than Nov of this year.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 548
    It is being released on 01 May so I think the wording is specific to excluded 80301 from wider distribution (imo)
    Legoboy
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    maybe this just meant they won't produce sets about regional specificities anymore, unless it fits one of the excluded categories
    They're now available in NZ for anyone there
    77ncaachampsstlux
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 893
    DeMontes said:
    It is being released on 01 May so I think the wording is specific to excluded 80301 from wider distribution (imo)
    Jern92 said:
    They're now available in NZ for anyone there
    Oh, I thought the official release is mid of May. 
    77ncaachamps
    They're being released on the 1st of May here. The Singaporean press release shows it as being the same price as the Dragon Dance set, so likely RM249.90.

However, I'm guessing since these are likely going to be available worldwide later on, I won't need to help anyone get them?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,394
    I doubt they'll be available worldwide later on...
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,061
    I read it as anything released after May 1st would be available worldwide.  If this is released then, then to me, that would mean it will be available worldwide, but with LEGO you never know.
    ReesesPieces
    With Lego specifically mentioning the date of May 1st, I'm going to have faith that this set will be released in the US.
    I'm not holding my breath that the dragon boat set will be released in the US but if it is, it's still gonna sting a bit for the OCD completionists that the other 2 CNY sets won't also be available.
    gmonkey76
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,875
    Very well said. In much less articulate form, I'm tired of the whining entitled attitude of many AFOLs. If LEGO produces a set that isn't available in my normal markets, I either make an effort to get it or go without. It's not worth the time or energy to be sour about it. Having regional exclusives makes the product all the more interesting for me.
    LittleLori
    Aanchir said:
    *snip*
    You quoted me but I'll assume the rest of your comment wasn't directly squarely at me.  Regardless, it doesn't bother me that exclusives exist.  Life isn't fair and I don't live with a sense of entitlement.  In fact, exclusives that aren't available to me help me save money since I refuse to pay more than RRP, even if it's from kind souls helping to buy overseas sets and selling them at cost + shipping to other forum members.  Even when I pay RRP, it's usually through Lego when they have 2x VIP points and/or they have a GWP that I want.  Otherwise, it's the odd poly that Walmart has but not Target (then it's 5% Red Card, baby!).

Do I wish that every set was readily available to everyone?  Sure.  I wish I could just head over to Target to buy the CNY sets or the SDCC Star Wars exclusives.  While I'm at it, I wish they would just be on perpetual clearance and not ever get discontinued or go out of stock so I can just buy them whenever I feel like it and not have to pay scalper/reseller prices.  But them's the breaks.  I don't lose any sleep over it and if that's the only thing keeping someone up at night, then they have a pretty good life.
    Aanchir
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,194
    The Lego Certified Store in Singapore is claiming the set will be available worldwide from Aug 01: 

10. Will this set be available globally as per the LEGO announcement?
    Yes, the set will be available globally via LEGO Branded retails stores and LEGO Shop at Home from 1st August. 
    Jern92MegtheCat
    stlux said:
    The Lego Certified Store in Singapore is claiming the set will be available worldwide from Aug 01: 

10. Will this set be available globally as per the LEGO announcement?
    Yes, the set will be available globally via LEGO Branded retails stores and LEGO Shop at Home from 1st August. 
    Ok then, I can just grab one for myself tomorrow. Cheers!
    stluxCymbeline
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    Aanchir said:
    *snip*
    You quoted me but I'll assume the rest of your comment wasn't directly squarely at me.  Regardless, it doesn't bother me that exclusives exist.  Life isn't fair and I don't live with a sense of entitlement.  In fact, exclusives that aren't available to me help me save money since I refuse to pay more than RRP, even if it's from kind souls helping to buy overseas sets and selling them at cost + shipping to other forum members.  Even when I pay RRP, it's usually through Lego when they have 2x VIP points and/or they have a GWP that I want.  Otherwise, it's the odd poly that Walmart has but not Target (then it's 5% Red Card, baby!).

Do I wish that every set was readily available to everyone?  Sure.  I wish I could just head over to Target to buy the CNY sets or the SDCC Star Wars exclusives.  While I'm at it, I wish they would just be on perpetual clearance and not ever get discontinued or go out of stock so I can just buy them whenever I feel like it and not have to pay scalper/reseller prices.  But them's the breaks.  I don't lose any sleep over it and if that's the only thing keeping someone up at night, then they have a pretty good life.
    I couldn't agree more.  The Lego Ambassador Network doesn't speak for me and I wish i could see more of their comments that prompted Lego to make this decision.  

It's a bummer that those CNY sets were released in the Asia Pacific as an exclusive, but that's also great for that region too.  I don't "have" to have those sets, but it would be cool.  I'm not gonna cry about it, b/c we in the states get our fair share.

The LAN also complained about the Darth Vader bust that was a SW Celebration exclusive shared w/ Target Red Card.  This is not the first exclusive ever made for a con, so why are they so up in arms about it now.  Plus, Lego deserves a lot of credit for partnering w/ Target to release it on their site for those that didn't get to go to Chicago (I got mine through target.com).  But people were still upset b/c it wasn't more widely available?

The only slight agreement I have w/ them are their comments about TLM2 Brickheadz.  I don't mind the exclusivity of them being numbered, but I think more could have been shared w/ the Lego community that WMT and Target were the only way to get those and that it would be limited.  No one really knew it was limited until they hit the website.  Just a little heads up would have been nice.  I'm still fine w/ the exclusivity of it though.

I mean the LAN are made up of those that run review sites, LUGs and what not, but they're also some of the most die hard fans too.  But they don't speak for everyone. 
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,803
    edited April 30
    Gooker1 said:
    Aanchir said:
    *snip*

I couldn't agree more.  The Lego Ambassador Network doesn't speak for me and I wish i could see more of their comments that prompted Lego to make this decision.  

It's a bummer that those CNY sets were released in the Asia Pacific as an exclusive, but that's also great for that region too.  I don't "have" to have those sets, but it would be cool.  I'm not gonna cry about it, b/c we in the states get our fair share.

The LAN also complained about the Darth Vader bust that was a SW Celebration exclusive shared w/ Target Red Card.  This is not the first exclusive ever made for a con, so why are they so up in arms about it now.  Plus, Lego deserves a lot of credit for partnering w/ Target to release it on their site for those that didn't get to go to Chicago (I got mine through target.com).  But people were still upset b/c it wasn't more widely available?

The only slight agreement I have w/ them are their comments about TLM2 Brickheadz.  I don't mind the exclusivity of them being numbered, but I think more could have been shared w/ the Lego community that WMT and Target were the only way to get those and that it would be limited.  No one really knew it was limited until they hit the website.  Just a little heads up would have been nice.  I'm still fine w/ the exclusivity of it though.

I mean the LAN are made up of those that run review sites, LUGs and what not, but they're also some of the most die hard fans too.  But they don't speak for everyone. 
    I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on the LEGO Ambassador Network when their main function is to take messages from ordinary fans in the communities they represent and pass them on to LEGO (and vice-versa). While the complaints of "ordinary fans" can be ridiculous sometimes, I still think the Ambassadors are being responsible by passing on those complaints.
    If LEGO Ambassadors took it upon themselves to determine which recurring complaints were worth communicating to LEGO and which were not, it would be very easy for the opinions of the Ambassadors themselves to be all that LEGO ends up hearing, and not the opinions of the fan groups they're supposed to represent. And I don't think that's a really desirable outcome for any of us.
    Better if the Ambassadors continue to let LEGO know their communities' frustrations (even ones that might be frivolous or counterfactual, like the idea that "LEGO costs so much more than it did in the 80s!" or "everything is licensed these days!") and then let it be up to LEGO which frustrations they seek to resolve and how they seek to resolve them.
    Lyichir
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    Aanchir said:

I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on the LEGO Ambassador Network when their main function is to take messages from ordinary fans in the communities they represent and pass them on to LEGO (and vice-versa). While the complaints of "ordinary fans" can be ridiculous sometimes, I still think the Ambassadors are being responsible by passing on those complaints.
    If LEGO Ambassadors took it upon themselves to determine which recurring complaints were worth communicating to LEGO and which were not, it would be very easy for the opinions of the Ambassadors themselves to be all that LEGO ends up hearing, and not the opinions of the fan groups they're supposed to represent. And I don't think that's a really desirable outcome for any of us.
    Better if the Ambassadors continue to let LEGO know their communities' frustrations (even ones that might be frivolous or counterfactual, like the idea that "LEGO costs so much more than it did in the 80s!" or "everything is licensed these days!") and then let it be up to LEGO which frustrations they seek to resolve and how they seek to resolve them.

Fair enough. :)  Perhaps I just wish their surveys had more influence than the LAN.  But yes...there are a lot of those frivolous complaints too. lol
  • Ray1204Ray1204 USAMember Posts: 69
    lego 80103 dragon boat race up on amazon jp.

• NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 210
    Ray1204 said:
    lego 80103 dragon boat race up on amazon jp.

Thank you.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,225
    The set's on [email protected] in Australia, but sold out when I checked it four hours after it went up.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,875
    レゴ(LEGO) アジアンフェスティバル ドラゴンボートレース 80103 https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07QLVVPF5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9-xYCb5X0DFNG
    RSHUmadforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,784
    Aanchir said:

I don't remember nearly as much frothing at the mouth over, say, #21100 (only available in Japan), or #40011 and #40033 (only available in North America). At most, we'd see comments from people who were mildly bummed about the exclusivity but enthusiastically offering to buy from or sell to people living overseas.

I think that there was some grumbling about #21100, but the AFOL community was smaller back then so it would naturally be less. I also guess part of it was just that it was being released via a strange new way (CUUSOO/IDEAS) just like the limited releases for FORMA was last year (again with complaints about limited distribution). Also the AFOL community was probably more cohesive then and less affected by reselling - if someone said they were after something they probably were, and not just going to sell it on.

I hope that there are still some regional exclusives, even if they are polybags type sets like the fairly recent Lester. I'd find it quite sad if there were no exclusives. It would mean there is little point going to other LEGO stores around the world (apart from for the experience), and also mean a death to trading interesting regional items / helping out others overseas.

pharmjodBaby_Yoda