Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Predictions for upcoming sets

13»

Comments

• jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 287
    SumoLego said:
    Not necessarily...

Where's the long hair?
    You could have fetched one from the time he had the harpoon instead of a hand... But that wouldn't be accurate as well.
    Check this:
    https://www.dccomics.com/comics/aquaman-2016/aquaman-45
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,791
    alaskaguy said:
    Is anyone else simply bored of all these movie tie-ins? Can we not have more sets that are fun to build?
    I would describe my feelings more as "disgust and animosity".

I wish they would produce some GOOD "parts and pieces" kits - with no instructions or examples of any kind. Just pure, self-indulgent creativity material.

I'd love to see a 3000 piece Technic pieces & parts kit, a 2000 piece Vehicles pieces & parts kit, a 2000 piece "space vehicles" pieces and parts kit, etc. etc. I'd buy those up in an instant.
    That sort of stuff would be pretty great, to be sure. I remember greatly enjoying the bulk Bionicle parts buckets that Toys 'R' Us used to have in the mid-2000s.

I think one of the challenges with that sort of stuff, though, is that with the types of standard System elements that appear in brick buckets from themes like Classic or Unikitty, the intended use tends to be pretty obvious, since they're usually either just basic shapes primarily geared towards vertical stacking (which pretty much everybody over the age of 3 typically knows how to do), or parts that obviously represent something more specific like a door, window, wheel, tire, cartoon eye, or tree.

Conversely, with a lot of the more specific types of parts like space elements, Technic elements, or Bionicle/CCBS elements, buyers typically don't tend to have quite as strong a sense of what you can DO with them unless they're first introduced to them in the context of a more specific model with an inherent "wow factor". Like, before I started building actual Technic sets, I was not really a car person, so if you showed me a differential gear piece or some types of steering related pieces, I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea what they were for.

I remember hearing about this being a problem in the past when more specialized element types like Technic or CCBS/constraction parts would sometimes appear on the Pick-A-Brick walls at LEGO stores. Even if not everyone wants/needs the more basic sorts of bricks, in the very least pretty much everyone knows what they're for/what you can do with them, and that means a much larger potential audience.

And regardless of what sorts of assorted brick boxes/buckets are created in the future, I think there will probably always be way more instruction-based kits than those types of free building ones, just by virtue of the fact that so much of the appeal of assorted brick boxes comes from the sense of having unlimited possibilities, so there's no NEED to have as many as you'd have in standard sets.

Supposing even a small wave of Space sets has 6 different sets… you probably wouldn't also need 6 different assorted Space boxes with similar sorts of parts. At most, three would probably be plenty (a small brick box for impulse buyers, a medium brick box for budget-conscious buyers, and a large brick box for people who want the most for their money).
    ^ Entirely correct.  There's also the modular and Creator expert lines and Architecture which have been churning out some gold and, if we're honest, is probably subsidised in the grand scheme of things BY all the licensed stuff.  I just can't get away from the fact that the Quinjets seem to get smaller each generation, as do the Milanos and the supplementary builds across the licensed lines seem to be getting lazier and lazier (the new Lukes Training set comes straight to mind).
      I'm probably being a bit of a grumpy, old, nostalgic man.
    Quinjets and Milanos becoming smaller makes sense when you think about it… making them smaller probably helps justify making new ones so soon, since it enables them to appeal to not only people who missed out on previous versions because they hadn't started collecting, but also to people who might've purposely skipped the original because they couldn't justify the price tag just to get their hands on that aircraft/spacecraft.

The later ones might be more enticing to those buyers because either they're priced lower (in the Milano's case) or include more/bigger secondary builds that might make the price point feel more justifiable (in the Quinjet's case). The bigger secondary builds also mean that the later sets can focus more on stuff that's unique to the newer movies they're tied in with and less on stuff like the Quinjet itself which might have more of a "been there, done that" feel and not be as exciting a part of the movie and trailers as stuff that hasn't been seen before like Giant Man or the Abilisk.

Plus, let's be honest… with Quinjets and Milanos as big and expensive as they were to begin with, I doubt people would be any happier with the opposite effect like we see so often with Star Wars X-Wing and TIE Fighter sets: new versions getting bigger and more expensive with each new incarnation!

560HeliportLyichirBaby_Yodacatwrangler
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,791
    tmgm528 said:
    @Mr_Cross Not so sure on the return of classic space specifically - but a pure space theme seems really likely to me. The last pure space theme was Galaxy Squad back in 2013. 5 years!
    Something I've been thinking about a lot lately… who else here gets the sense that maybe Ultra Agents and Nexo Knights were developed for production when they were specifically because of the return of new Star Wars movies?

Hear me out: the Space theme's first and second major multi-year hiatuses correspond roughly to the Star Wars prequel and sequel trilogies, with all of the 21st century space themes like Mars Mission, Space Police III, Alien Conquest, and Galaxy Squad fitting neatly in between. Ultra Agents, which was specifically envisioned as a "post-Space" secret agent theme with stuff like lasers and antigrav, launched right after Galaxy Squad left off, and just one year before Star Wars episode 7 was released.

Also, from what I've heard, the idea of a "future/cyber-castle" theme like Nexo Knights had first been pitched sometime around 2009 or 2010, but there were two new Castle themes AND two new Space themes in the intervening years before Nexo Knights got a proper launch. Even Ninjago, which was actually delayed from its original planned launch date in order to get everything just right, didn't end up taking that many years to move from conceptualization to launch.

So what I'm thinking is: what if with stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars getting new movies that would have people clamoring for tie-in spaceship toys regardless of LEGO's own marketing or media support efforts, LEGO was worried those sets would likely cannibalize the sales of any new space theme that didn't have the same degree of guaranteed familiarity/name recognition with its premise and characters?

And what if they decided that such a risky time for LEGO Space was also the perfect opportunity to explore new sci-fi theme concepts that they'd perhaps pitched years ago, but previously passed over in favor of more traditional space themes? I'm definitely not saying other categories of sci-fi that draw on LEGO Space aesthetics are a perfect substitute for actual space sets or one that all Space-loving AFOLs should be satisfied with, but if this was in fact LEGO's reasoning I can definitely understand it.

Consequently, I wouldn't be surprised if a new in-house Space theme with no theatrical movie ties might still be a few years out, but we might continue to see even more sorts of original sci-fi themes with LEGO Space style design language. One possibility I've been interested in for a long time would be a "digital world" theme… e.g. something in the same genre as ReBoot, Cyberchase, Digimon, Megaman Battle Network/NT Warrior, Code Lyoko, TRON, etc.

As for more specific predictions rather than just broad predictions and hopes for what those might include? I expect a new Castle theme of some sort will probably be coming in either summer 2019 or 2020. Since the 90s, Castle has had followed perhaps the most consistent release pattern of any of the classic evergreen themes besides City, which has been pretty much a constant from 2003 onward.

While there haven't been Castle themes every year, the Castle theme HAS been rebooted or re-imagined in some respect every three or four years since 2000. If Nexo Knights was the 2016 incarnation of Castle, then a 2019 or 2020 incarnation is probably already in the works. And with both Nexo Knights and Elves retiring, that seemingly opens up a lot of space for that type of subject matter.

While some people have been cynical about the Castle theme's ability to coexist with Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts, keep in mind that Knights' Kingdom II, Fantasy Era Castle Kingdoms, and the 2013 Castle revival all not only launched the same year as new Harry Potter or The Hobbit movie waves, but all of them had as many or more standard retail sets than the Harry Potter or The Hobbit themes had in the years they overlapped. Most even outlasted the licensed themes they launched alongside.
    TheOriginalSimonBBaby_Yodacatwrangler
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,260
    ^I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 651
    I agree with the way that original IP themes might be going in the coming year or two so it's a good analysis and I still hold out hope for traditional Castle. I still feel a little shortchanged for having no new original IP Big Bang themes in January 2019 to fill the Nexo or Elves gaps, but needs must I guess with the Lego Movie 2 - trying to promote a new original theme would be pointless as LM2 fever would swallow it up in the first quarter or two. At least the sets from the Lego Movie 2 feel unusual and I'll probably pick a couple of them up. I actually quite like the space aesthetic of Rex's vehicles - it fills a space-shaped void!
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76catwrangler
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 190
    So with the reveal of two Star Wars Resistance sets coming out, I'd expect we could see some more sets based on that series if they do well. I'd imagine we could see something like this:

• The Fireball-could see us getting a second Kaz Xiono figure, either BB-8 or CB-23, and possibly Tam and Meeku if they don't distribute the crew out a bit.
    • Blue Ace-presumably would come with Torra and Captain Doza, maybe Commander Pyre, and perhaps Torra's astromech (though Black Ace doesn't have one so maybe not).
    • Green Ace-Hype Fazon, maybe Jace Rucklin (Elijah Woods' character)
    • Red Ace-Freya Fenris, maybe including Kel and Yani (just because they should probably be somewhere)
    • Yellow Ace-Bo Keevil, maybe including Flix and Orka
    • Kragan's Ship-it'd be a tricked out Imperial Shuttle, but pretty cool. Would come with Kragan Corr and some pirates, including Synara.
    • Pirate Fighter-would probably come with a pirate or two.
    • Yeager's Racer-it's only showed up in one episode so far, but could see it coming back. Would undoubtedly come with Jerek Yeager, and maybe a second Bucket.
    • Marcus' Ship-again, only one episode, but it was pretty cool-looking. Would come with Marcus Speedstar, his astromech, and his mechanic.
    Could probably see a First Order Stormtrooper or two split up among these. The show would probably have to get crazy popular for us to get any sort of decent model of the Colossus.
  • autolycusautolycus US-SEMember Posts: 79
    I would think the Fireball and Blue Ace are the only one's that are particularly likely. The others could be interesting, but that's a lot invested in the one show, especially with Ep IX and The Mandalorian on the way. 
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 190
    autolycus said:
    I would think the Fireball and Blue Ace are the only one's that are particularly likely. The others could be interesting, but that's a lot invested in the one show, especially with Ep IX and The Mandalorian on the way. 
    You could be right.
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 357
    Has anyone heard rumors about a new amusement park Creator Expert set coming out this year?  In the past, the sets have been released in May/June, which makes me suspect that they are taking this year off from releasing a set.  May be a pattern?  Sets were released in 2014, 2015,  (skip 2016), 2017, 2018. (Skip 2019?)  I really want a motorized free fall/drop zone type ride for our amusement park and I keep hoping Lego makes one so that I don't have to MOC one myself.  (My technic building skills are very rusty!) 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,730
    Bumper Cars would be cool.  But who knows, as this is not an official theme.  I'd rather have a no-release than a retread.
    Ronyar