Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

General LEGO Movie 2 DIscussion

1131416181923

Comments

  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,130
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    You wanting some alternative sci-fi offerings does not make the SW franchise weak.
    The fact you may not like the movies doesn't make the franchise weak.
    My suggestion is to look past how you would like things to be and examine what actually is.
    My suggestion is to no longer intersperse otherwise reasonably well-thought out posts with what amounts to (baseless) ad hominem. I've little interest in continuing a conversation when I'm met with this level of disdain.

    What you call disdain is long-term forum members with knowledge of the toy market/TLG telling facts. No need to interpret these as personal attacks because they do not align with your personal opinions.
    BumblepantsdatsunrobbieAanchirsid3windrSumoLegoPitfall69flordThe_Studdbrouge
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    stlux said:
    What you call disdain is long-term forum members with knowledge of the toy market/TLG telling facts. No need to interpret these as personal attacks because they do not align with your personal opinions.
    If this
    SumoLego said:
    You wanting some alternative sci-fi offerings does not make the SW franchise weak.
    The fact you may not like the movies doesn't make the franchise weak.
    My suggestion is to look past how you would like things to be and examine what actually is.
    counts as 'knowledge' and 'facts' rather than unnecessary personal inferences, I do not know what to tell you.
    Besides that, 'long-term' members 'with knowledge' sounds like a strange line of reasoning to me; account age seems irrelevant to any kind of argument, whereas this 'knowledge' is not particularly quantifiable.
    Bottom line is, even if your arguments are coherent, you won't get far if you can't maintain some basic semblance of etiquette. Unless there was a memo on seniority overruling the need for common courtesy, which I must have missed.
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 393
    edited January 25
    Golem25 said:

    counts as 'knowledge' and 'facts' rather than unnecessary personal inferences, I do not know what to tell you.
    Besides that, 'long-term' members 'with knowledge' sounds like a strange line of reasoning to me; account age seems irrelevant to any kind of argument, whereas this 'knowledge' is not particularly quantifiable.
    Bottom line is, even if your arguments are coherent, you won't get far if you can't maintain some basic semblance of etiquette. Unless there was a memo on seniority overruling the need for common courtesy, which I must have missed.
    I have to say that my impression from your posts since you joined is of a new member instantly trying to force his/her opinions on the forum in an unnecessarily confrontational manner. This forum is remarkably free of the sort of nonsense that pervades other fora, which is why your some of posts are being met with resistance from people who have been around here for longer than a few days.
    I'm not qualified to contribute to the discussion at all, but can tell you that there are plenty of differences of opinion on here that are discussed in a rational and friendly way without resorting to personal attacks on either other members or the way the forum works.



    Golem25Bumblepantsdatsunrobbiesid3windrLittleLoriThe_Studomnium
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,398
    Balderdash, Blacktron was basically Pirates in Space...
    And so is Star Wars...
    SumoLegooldtodd33The_Stud
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    I'd say Star Wars is more like Nexo Knights. :-P
    Bumblepantssid3windrSumoLegoThe_Stud
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    jnscoelho said:
    Golem25 said:
    Point out where I said I liked the first LEGO Movie, or, preferably, never reply to me again. Thanks.

    Was that a basic semblance of etiquette? Because of the "Thanks"?
    You're basically being hiper-agressive to anyone who reply's to and does not completely agree with what you say... Don't be surprised if people start treating you like you treat them.
    You say other people's comments are "personal inferences", but you also say you're met with disdain - isn't that a personal inference as well?

    If you don't want to discuss a theme, i.e., to hear/read other opinions about a subject that may be similar or different to your own, if you just want the world to know your thoughts on the matter, don't come here. Use a blog or something.
    The poster I was replying to had written a swath of text that was basically a tangent about me liking/disliking the first LEGO Movie, a film about which I had made zero remarks up to that point. I am quite happy to be curt if someone tries to put words in my mouth, as I can misrepresent my opinions just fine by myself.
    You are free to disagree with me that the claims about my person are not disdainful, but then I will refer you to those exact comments made and pointed out.
    I am quite happy to hear/read, and just as happy to agree or disagree; aren't forums made for discussion, after all? A bit strange, then, to claim I should blog instead, considering most of my activity has been discussion; we'd all end up blogging then.
    milamber said:
    I have to say that my impression from your posts since you joined is of a new member instantly trying to force his/her opinions on the forum in an unnecessarily confrontational manner. This forum is remarkably free of the sort of nonsense that pervades other fora, which is why your some of posts are being met with resistance from people who have been around here for longer than a few days.
    I can respect you saying that, I suppose my style of speaking/writing is rather direct. I do not agree on 'forcing' my opinions on others, however; I have posted standalone comments, which are met with disagreement and arguments against my position, which I then attempt to relay. It's good to have differing opinions; if mine end up being less well-supported so be it.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBpharmjodSumoLegoMuftak1Baby_YodaMaffyD
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 455
    I have enjoyed Golem's posts. I might not agree with everything he has said, but I appreciate his input and I think his responses to others have been on point.
    I am always disappointed when people are discouraged to be here, especially in his case when I do not consider that anything he has said has been overly rude, confrontational, insulting, controversial or 'forcing'.
    There's a lot of good people here, good chat and good points well made, even when I do not necessarily agree with those points.
    I do not think that the length of time someone has been a member, or how many posts they have made, is an indicator of how valuable their opinion is. In my opinion, sometimes they can contribute less value to the forum than those who seldom post. As an example there was a long series of posts recently, a whole conversation, about someones carpet. Fun for those involved, I'm sure, but of little interest to me.
    My response to that was to ignore those posts. I don't think it would appropriate to question the validity of the posts, suggest that those members should start a carpet blog or leave the forum.
    Sometimes people get on my nerves on here. I think that says as much about me as it does them. I have argued with people on here and probably will again in the future. I do try not to. There are members, some who post daily and some who seldom post, that I totally ignore. At the moment Golem25 is not one of them.
    As a new member @Golem25, I would like to welcome you to the forum. I hope that you become a valuable, contributing long-term member. If I find that your posts are not to my taste, I will ignore them.
    I would hope that this would be the attitude of all members here.

    TL:DR If you think someone is being a dick on here, ignore them. Being a dick back just doubles the amount of dickery (a lesson I have learned through my own actions in this forum).
    dmcc0Golem25datsunrobbieSumoLegoLittleLoridavetheoxygenmanJern92
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Golem25 said:



    Although the reasons for Zuvio still clogging store shelves are clear, I really mentioned him because he represented the first instance of a Star Wars figure pegwarming this hard; really, only the somewhat rotund lady from Jabba’s Palace ever came close, with the addendum that she was released during a post-movie lull. The pegwarming of Jyn, Cassian, Finn, Rey, Rose, Hux in greater-than-ever amounts, even seeing Star Wars products now being pushed into discount stores, proves they aren’t big sellers, but then I wonder which figures are considering the distinct lack of aliens in TFA, RO, and TLJ lines (and even then, Zuvio as one of the aliens didn’t sell). Only Kylo Ren and the stormtroopers seem to really move units.

    My comment regarding not comparing Star Wars and Marvel relates to the fact that I do not know the licensing agreements and fees for both lines; are they the exact same or differ based on line/movie?


    Zuvio may be the most recent pegwarmming instance, but he's hardly the first.  Do you remember the Rancor Keeper from the POTF2 line?  You couldn't pay people to buy him.  Truthfully there are pegwarmmers with every wave that comes out, but some worse than others.  That's really not a commentary on people not wanting Star Wars, but people not wanting that specific figure.

    Overall though you can't compare Legos with action figures.  Often times they are entirely different market groups, and they perform independently of each other.  Action Figures as a whole seem to be falling out of favor, and Hasbro in general has shifted their focus compared to what it was.  I would agree that weird aliens to tend to sell well, but they haven't been made in near the same amounts as they used to be.  I think an even bigger issue is with Disney acquiring Star Wars, and therefore dictating what does and doesn't get made.  I don't think what they want to make aligns with what us fans what them to make.

    I too do not know the licensing agreements, so I can't comment on that.  But I do think you can make some comparisons since they are the big movie franchises out there right now with also have Lego properties.  
    Golem25
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 274
    edited January 25
    To be clear, I wasn't saying @Golem25 (or anyone else, by that matter) should leave.
    All I was saying, in a general way, was: if I just want to shout out my opinion and I don't want to hear/read replies to it, especially those contrary to that same opinion, a forum isn't the best place for me to do that. I would be better off in something like a blog.
    If, on the contrary, I want to discuss some theme, then a forum is a good place to do that.

    Aka, common sense.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB560HeliportstluxSumoLegoLittleLoriJern92
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 264
    CCC said:
    Balderdash, Blacktron was basically Pirates in Space...
    And so is Star Wars...
    Since when do pirates involve space wizards, magical abilities like shooting lightning and the like? The only thing similar to pirates in Star Wars are the Bounty Hunters, I would liken Star Wars more to Classic Castle in that respects as it is clearly inspired by high-fantasy swashbuckling and Robin Hood and the like. As Lucas made it to recapture the fun of the Serials made in the early days of cinemas. Just, in space.

    And now, back to The LEGO Move 2 sets.... uh... still only have Benny's Space Squad so far, been playing catch up with LEGO Batman and NINJAGO movie Themes so I can have a larger collection to put together for all the LEGO Movies.

    So... think we'll get a display case for the new CMF series?
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    I am grateful to @BOBJACK_JACKBOB for some kind and level-headed thoughts.
    @monkyby87 let us agree to disagree, or take this to a SW topic as we've taken away from discussion on TLM.
    The above is in reply to previous posts, not in general.

    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,398
    ^ Han Solo was frequently referred to as a Space Pirate in the 70s and 80s.

    And look at the comment I was replying to "Pirates in Space...". There is a self-centred pirate like figure. An everyday boy hero wanting to save the girl. Small group of outsiders vs an empire. Traditional pirates and Robin Hood are very close to each other in general storyline: robbing the rich, small group of heroes against a large organisation and military. Put Robin Hood in a ship and he is a pirate. Change the setting completely to space, there isn't much difference at all. I don't remember space wizards shooting lightning in Robin Hood either.

    SumoLego
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 635
    Golem25 said:
    .... let us agree to disagree, or take this to a SW topic as we've taken away from discussion on TLM.


    Wait!?!?..Isn't taking a thread off-topic compulsory here?
    Golem25Gibbo1959BOBJACK_JACKBOBPitfall69Baby_YodaLittleLoriThe_StudJern92
  • SecretSquirrel18SecretSquirrel18 United KingdomMember Posts: 25
    TheFew said:
    pxchris said:
    ^ we can only hope! Never enough Bennys.
    I hope they do this one!


    Only someone of a certain age in the UK would know about this Benny! 😂
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBTheFewdmcc0TheOriginalSimonB
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    You wanting some alternative sci-fi offerings does not make the SW franchise weak.
    The fact you may not like the movies doesn't make the franchise weak.
    My suggestion is to look past how you would like things to be and examine what actually is.
    My suggestion is to no longer intersperse otherwise reasonably well-thought out posts with what amounts to (baseless) ad hominem. I've little interest in continuing a conversation when I'm met with this level of disdain.
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.  This discussion started with your statement that the Star Wars franchise is in its 'weakest state it has been since 1999'.  If you want to share some data to support such a hypothesis - I'm all ears.  I've been eager to see any production or sales figures for individual sets since... ever.

    And since the 'weakest state' is your basis for suggesting a new space theme offering, being dismissive of a contrary opinion is a bit rude.  And not all contrary opinions are contemptuous personal attacks.

    Or perhaps, one should be less sensitive when making sweeping statements without any objective data.

    I hope I was able to provide some information and enlighten your observations with respect to the number of sets typically offered in conjunction with SW movie releases.
    ericbBumblepantsstluxMr_Crosssid3windrflordAanchirThe_Stud
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    SumoLego said:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.  This discussion started with your statement that the Star Wars franchise is in its 'weakest state it has been since 1999'.  If you want to share some data to support such a hypothesis - I'm all ears.  I've been eager to see any production or sales figures for individual sets since... ever.

    And since the 'weakest state' is your basis for suggesting a new space theme offering, being dismissive of a contrary opinion is a bit rude.  And not all contrary opinions are contemptuous personal attacks.

    Or perhaps, one should be less sensitive when making sweeping statements without any objective data.

    I hope I was able to provide some information and enlighten your observations with respect to the number of sets typically offered in conjunction with SW movie releases.
    A whole post, and no apology. Not what I was hoping for to be honest with you, fam.
    If you reread my posts I'm sure you'll find quite a few arguments. Observations on unsold stock, box office numbers, deep discounts and Star Wars products in discount stores, etc. seem like rather fine arguments to me.
    Any other issues you may have with me, take them up via PM because this thread needn't be cluttered up further.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,868
    @TigerMoth... Man. I really do wonder happened to him.
    SumoLegostluxPitfall69oldtodd33Muftak1flordJern92
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    Golem25 said:
    A whole post, and no apology.
    I don't write posts that would require an apology.
    Golem25 said:
    Observations on unsold stock, box office numbers, deep discounts and Star Wars products in discount stores, etc. seem like rather fine arguments to me.
    Yeah, well...  I don't find colloquial evidence compelling - it's a flawed approach.  For example, if I made a sweeping declaration that the CMF line was failing because one my local stores still had TLBM S1 CMFs on the shelves - am I correct?  Or am I observing an abberation?

    My point was that absent actual sales figures (empirical evidence), any opinion may very well be misinformed.  Perhaps you can track down LEGO SW sales information and set me straight on how healthy that segment of the market really is.  
    Golem25 said:
    Any other issues you may have with me, take them up via PM because this thread needn't be cluttered up further.
    The Forum will survive despite 'clutter'.  That's why the memes are gone.  And by the way, I don't have 'issues' with you.  I think it is important to question factual declarations based on unsubstantiated opinions.
    stluxdatsunrobbieMr_Crosssid3windrMuftak1davetheoxygenmanThe_StudJern92
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,130
    edited January 25
    pharmjod said:
    @TigerMoth... Man. I really do wonder happened to him.
    Same here. Tigermoth could be very... "direct" for lack of a better description, but was rather knowledgeable and could be actually very helpful at times. I don't recall Tigermoth ever insulting other forum members.
    SumoLegoPitfall69Muftak1flord
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 264

    Personally I don't see shelf warming action figures and being sent to discount outlets being a sign of Star Wars being at its weakest, what I see is evidence of Retailers over ordering stock based on the past popularity of the franchise. Figures not moving as much as they used to perhaps due to production being ramped up higher than typical for Star Wars products. And on top of that it shows a complete lack of understanding how these markets operate.

    LEGO Star Wars as a whole appears to consistently sell out once Retirement rolls around. Sets do not linger, nowhere near as problematic as the individual action figure lines. Retailers move LEGO in a far more efficient fashion comparatively.

    The Action Figure market is also inundated with very big distribution problems these days and the manufacturing side is pushing for larger numbers of products to be produced. The fact that these things are being stuck at discount outlets is a symptom of the distribution problems retailers face, as some large orders of products delayed for too long could be being re-sold to the discounters to move out older unwanted stock from past films so they can only keep with current production items.

    This of course is all guesswork and supposition based on long years within the action figure hobby. I collect them as I collect LEGO and Star Wars has been struggling of late not because it is at it's weakest, but because it has become so well established and so bloated with product and content that the old system of distribution for figures has caused a gummed up mess with case assortments of unpopular characters lingering far too long.

    The business model for Star Wars action figures has not changed since the hey day long, long ago in a time distantly linked with the more modern times. Many children enjoy toys, but they also enjoy electronics. Hasbro in their infinite wisdom invented chipped figures with bits of dialogue to entice children to purchase more figures. And for the most part this seems to have worked in the cheaper product lines, but when figures like Rose and others linger too long on the shelf the fault again lies within the distribution models Hasbro practices. They re-pack and re-distribute certain figures market research tells them will be popular and this system is in effect more often than not half a year or more in effect before actual market data based on sales figures can be quantified.

    Again this does not make Star Wars weak, it merely proves that the aged and ancient system of case assortments has begun to cause problems in how figures are handled within the Star Wars brand. It doesn't help that a lot of kids are more interested in Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker than they are Rose and Finn, or even the characters from Solo. Rogue One is a glaringly obvious problem as well as it has continued to linger on shelves FAR TOO long. Because of perhaps over production and again the terrible distribution problems which have plagued action figure toy aisles since 2013ish or so.

    From what I've observed of LEGO Star Wars product... It seems to be consistently quite well sold and stocked and tends to have a yearly cycle for sets just as LEGO intends with many models going out of production and vanishing from store shelves within the given timeframe of expected life cycles.

    This tells me Star Wars is not weak, but merely struggling within the market these days, at least as far as action figures are concerned.

    pharmjodThe_Stud
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    SumoLego said:
    Golem25 said:
    A whole post, and no apology.
    I don't write posts that would require an apology.
    Can't believe it took me this long to realize there is no point in continuing my efforts to post.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic.  This discussion started with your statement that the Star Wars franchise is in its 'weakest state it has been since 1999'.  If you want to share some data to support such a hypothesis - I'm all ears.  I've been eager to see any production or sales figures for individual sets since... ever.

    And since the 'weakest state' is your basis for suggesting a new space theme offering, being dismissive of a contrary opinion is a bit rude.  And not all contrary opinions are contemptuous personal attacks.

    Or perhaps, one should be less sensitive when making sweeping statements without any objective data.

    I hope I was able to provide some information and enlighten your observations with respect to the number of sets typically offered in conjunction with SW movie releases.
    A whole post, and no apology. Not what I was hoping for to be honest with you, fam.
    If you reread my posts I'm sure you'll find quite a few arguments. Observations on unsold stock, box office numbers, deep discounts and Star Wars products in discount stores, etc. seem like rather fine arguments to me.
    Any other issues you may have with me, take them up via PM because this thread needn't be cluttered up further.
    I mean, not to be that guy, but I don't think @SumoLego really owes an apology anymore than you do.  Or anyone else here does.

    Eh, those aren't really "fine" arguments.  They're observations, yes, but it's pretty hard to make the correlations that you are.  Those really are the apples to pears that you had mentioned way back when.

    But as you said, agree to disagree I suppose.
    SumoLegoMuftak1
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    stlux said:
    pharmjod said:
    @TigerMoth... Man. I really do wonder happened to him.
    Same here. Tigermoth could be very... "direct" for lack of a better description, but was rather knowledgeable and could be actually very helpful at times. I don't recall Tigermoth ever insulting other forum members.
    I miss @TigerMoth.  Despite being a bit coarse and prickly, he was very conscientious about the content of his posts.  And was quite the grammar enthusiast, that's for sure!
    BumblepantsstluxPitfall69sid3windrpharmjodMuftak1florddavetheoxygenmanoldtodd33
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    edited January 25
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Golem25 said:
    A whole post, and no apology.
    I don't write posts that would require an apology.
    Can't believe it took me this long to realize there is no point in continuing my efforts to post.
    If your goal of posting is to get an apology, then you are correct - there is no point in continuing.

    If your goal is to convince others that LEGO should reintroduce a space theme because the SW franchise is in its 'weakest state it has been since 1999', then I wish you luck.  

    And I would not cite the volume or frequency of SW LEGO set releases to support your position.  You may want to re-read my posts or check the Brickset database for that information.
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    SumoLego said:
    I took your suggestion and re-read some posts:
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars dying (at least for Hasbro and other toymakers), I sincerely hope LEGO will wisen up and launch Classic Space to fill the gap.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    Don't discounts the effects of franchise fatigue, TLJ dividing the fanbase, Solo flopping, and other results of the Disney buyout.
    A series of words without any context to toy sales, and most of it personal conjecture.  What 'other results' of the Disney buyout?  What does this mean?

    And finally, care to acknowledge that you were mistaken when it came to the SW movie set releases?  Perhaps a little bit of humility instead of being confrontational would help keep the discourse more positive.
    Took all of five seconds to find in my search engine of choice. The franchise had its first cinematic flop, single-biggest second week drop in box office earnings (do I need to explain what that could indicate?), is doing terribly in China movie after movie, and I really can't be bothered looking up the audience scores for TLJ for you because I feel like I'm spoonfeeding at this point. Old/hardcore fans being dissatisfied with the franchise en masse is a little more difficult to quantify, but I'm sure we all have personal experiences with fans around us - good or bad.
    I did gloss through your claims about number of sets, but lo and behold, you counted polybags and giveaways towards TFA, TLJ, R1, and Solo, but not towards Episode 3, the most recent point of reference. This would just devolve into an argument about the semantics of what does or does not consist a set (polybags? Battlepacks, which did not exist yet for Eps I/II?), so I didn't bother.
    I'm humbled by your insistence on trying to wring something - nay, anything - from this exchange though.

  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 455
    edited January 25

    SumoLego said:
    stlux said:
    Same here. Tigermoth could be very... "direct" for lack of a better description, but was rather knowledgeable and could be actually very helpful at times. I don't recall Tigermoth ever insulting other forum members.
    I miss TigerMoth.  Despite being a bit coarse and prickly, he was very conscientious about the content of his posts.  And was quite the grammar enthusiast, that's for sure!
    I myself have found the forum to be a more pleasant place the last couple of years.
    Golem25 said:
    Can't believe it took me this long to realize there is no point in continuing my efforts to post.
    I hope that you only mean in this conversation and not in general. That would be disheartening.
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 255
    Can I invoke the Elsa clause and suggest those involved to Let It Go! Or get a room, or something! 
    I‘ll be watching Arsenal vs Man U - much more entertaining! :)

    BumblepantsLegoliseddiewBaby_YodaLittleLoriBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    I took your suggestion and re-read some posts:
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars dying (at least for Hasbro and other toymakers), I sincerely hope LEGO will wisen up and launch Classic Space to fill the gap.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    Don't discounts the effects of franchise fatigue, TLJ dividing the fanbase, Solo flopping, and other results of the Disney buyout.
    A series of words without any context to toy sales, and most of it personal conjecture.  What 'other results' of the Disney buyout?  What does this mean?

    And finally, care to acknowledge that you were mistaken when it came to the SW movie set releases?  Perhaps a little bit of humility instead of being confrontational would help keep the discourse more positive.
    Took all of five seconds to find in my search engine of choice. The franchise had its first cinematic flop, single-biggest second week drop in box office earnings (do I need to explain what that could indicate?), is doing terribly in China movie after movie, and I really can't be bothered looking up the audience scores for TLJ for you because I feel like I'm spoonfeeding at this point. Old/hardcore fans being dissatisfied with the franchise en masse is a little more difficult to quantify, but I'm sure we all have personal experiences with fans around us - good or bad.
    I did gloss through your claims about number of sets, but lo and behold, you counted polybags and giveaways towards TFA, TLJ, R1, and Solo, but not towards Episode 3, the most recent point of reference. This would just devolve into an argument about the semantics of what does or does not consist a set (polybags? Battlepacks, which did not exist yet for Eps I/II?), so I didn't bother.
    I'm humbled by your insistence on trying to wring something - nay, anything - from this exchange though.

    I know you don't realize this, but you again aren't comparing like things.  And I'm not really even sure what you're trying to argue at this point.  I'm not trying to get into a heated argument, but it would be best if you just walked away from whatever point you're trying to make.  Your tone from the beginning has been "I know my opinions are right and anything to the contrary is ridiculous".  That's the problem several people are having with your posts.  
    BumblepantsdatsunrobbiestluxAanchirPolyphemus
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,209
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    I took your suggestion and re-read some posts:
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars dying (at least for Hasbro and other toymakers), I sincerely hope LEGO will wisen up and launch Classic Space to fill the gap.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
    Sweeping declaration - no evidence to substantiate this observation.
    Golem25 said:
    Don't discounts the effects of franchise fatigue, TLJ dividing the fanbase, Solo flopping, and other results of the Disney buyout.
    A series of words without any context to toy sales, and most of it personal conjecture.  What 'other results' of the Disney buyout?  What does this mean?

    And finally, care to acknowledge that you were mistaken when it came to the SW movie set releases?  Perhaps a little bit of humility instead of being confrontational would help keep the discourse more positive.
    Took all of five seconds to find in my search engine of choice. The franchise had its first cinematic flop, single-biggest second week drop in box office earnings (do I need to explain what that could indicate?), is doing terribly in China movie after movie, and I really can't be bothered looking up the audience scores for TLJ for you because I feel like I'm spoonfeeding at this point. Old/hardcore fans being dissatisfied with the franchise en masse is a little more difficult to quantify, but I'm sure we all have personal experiences with fans around us - good or bad.
    I did gloss through your claims about number of sets, but lo and behold, you counted polybags and giveaways towards TFA, TLJ, R1, and Solo, but not towards Episode 3, the most recent point of reference. This would just devolve into an argument about the semantics of what does or does not consist a set (polybags? Battlepacks, which did not exist yet for Eps I/II?), so I didn't bother.
    I'm humbled by your insistence on trying to wring something - nay, anything - from this exchange though.

    The point is that even 'weak' LEGO SW sales still would destroy Classic Space in terms of profitability at any time (and yes I love Classic space, but lets be real here). That is the point. The statement you made could not be backed up in terms of LEGO 'wising up' and what LEGO should do to 'diversify' or 'fill the gap'. Just because sales are 'weak' for SW in the industry does not mean that any other sci fi filling for LEGO would somehow best what they still get for SW on a daily basis. One could argue that adding more options would make SW sales weaker for LEGO and why would they do that? Why compete against yourself?

    Finally, as much as people are upset about the franchise, people still see the movies (if only so they can rant like a lunatic about how bad it was afterward) and Disney is not breaking their banks anytime soon making a SW movie.
    All Disney has to really do here is stop making a SW movie every year, turn those lush ambitions into an actual TV series somewhere and they are likely back to the huge profit numbers.. Not really hard for them to do. Maybe hard to execute, but I'm guessing Disney will find a way.

    sid3windrbrickventures
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    Balderdash, ...
    Balderdash is not a word in common enough use.  Well done.
    560HeliportPyrobugSumoLegosid3windrBaby_YodaAanchir
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 221
    Well taking a row worked out pretty well for me, except I ended up with 21 packets! Ended up with the full set but a dupe of the lion. If anyone wants to trade happy to do so. 
    klintonBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Balderdash, ...
    Balderdash is not a word in common enough use.  Well done.
    There's a fun board game called Balderdash.
    Boardshorts85Pitfall69Bumblepantsgmonkey76SumoLegodavetheoxygenman
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    dmcc0 said:
    Golem25 said:
    .... let us agree to disagree, or take this to a SW topic as we've taken away from discussion on TLM.


    Wait!?!?..Isn't taking a thread off-topic compulsory here?
    What are you trying to say? ;)


    TL:DR If you think someone is being a dick on here, ignore them. Being a dick back just doubles the amount of dickery (a lesson I have learned through my own actions in this forum).
    We may have all been a bit "dickish" on the forum a time or two :) 

    General Discussion: Space Pirates and the Art of Sweeping Declarations

    There's already a forum etiquette thread :)

    SumoLego said:
    The Forum will survive despite 'clutter'.  That's why the memes are gone.
    What are you trying to say ;)

    pharmjod said:
    @TigerMoth... Man. I really do wonder happened to him.
    He flew too close to the flame.
    Bumblepantsdatsunrobbiegmonkey76560Heliportsid3windrBaby_YodaLittleLoridavetheoxygenmanJern92
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Legolis said:
    Well taking a row worked out pretty well for me, except I ended up with 21 packets! Ended up with the full set but a dupe of the lion. If anyone wants to trade happy to do so. 
    I'm jealous, here in the US I haven't seen any signs of them yet.  But it is refreshing to hear that they packing appears to be consistent and rather reliable.  
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    In other significantly less "if a post is very clearly bait then just leave it be and don't reply to it 'cos otherwise you'll derail the thread into an awkward argument that nobody will enjoy" news, there's finally a trailer for the game based on the film!



    It's fairly short and most of it's either prerendered footage or ingame cutscene clips, but from what's there it looks suspiciously like they're borrowing some more gameplay elements from Worlds (what with the object painting and stuff) which is always a good thing in my books. Also neat to see that they're doing the cutscenes themselves this time too instead of just nicking them from the films like the past two LEGO Movie games - mostly 'cos TT are truly excellent at animating cutscenes with great comedic timing, but also partly because whenever they use edited clips from the movies in the games it somehow turns out completely awful.

    Also on Switch it launches three weeks later physically, but on the same day as the other consoles digitally. Seems like a completely arbitrary decision but okay I guess?
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBPitfall69eddiewsid3windrBaby_YodaThe_Stud
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    ^Is there an exclusive minifigure that comes with the game?
    gmonkey76
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 221
    I heard a rumour Argos were selling them and it turned out to be true. I wouldn't have risked buying the row if I couldn't be sure the box was untouched but they brought it out of the back in the shipping box. I'm sort of gutted I opened the spare. I was going to return it after feeling out the dupe and insist they put it back in the next closest row (just incase another AFOL came looking) but the kids distracted me and I snipped the wrong packet. :( Nevermind, hopefully someone on here will do a swapsie with me. 

    I have to say I love the set, they're so fun. I'm excited for the film now.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,593
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Is there an exclusive minifigure that comes with the game?
    I think someone said the Star struck Emmet Poly is preorder bonus. The one with the sand green Nexo shield door contraption.
    Pitfall69Ayliffe
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Is there an exclusive minifigure that comes with the game?
    Yup, if you order if off Amazon in the UK then you get that Star-Struck Emmet polybag with it. At first the figures kinda seemed like a downgrade compared to most LEGO game polys but it turns out the sad faces for Emmet and the star are exclusive, so that's kinda neat!
    Pitfall69
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 301
    Ayliffe said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Is there an exclusive minifigure that comes with the game?
    Yup, if you order if off Amazon in the UK then you get that Star-Struck Emmet polybag with it. At first the figures kinda seemed like a downgrade compared to most LEGO game polys but it turns out the sad faces for Emmet and the star are exclusive, so that's kinda neat!
    I had forgotten about that polybag.  It's the one I wanted most actually since I saw all of them revealed. 
    Ayliffe
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 169
    Any news regarding the US version of the game with the polybag?  Gamestop?

  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 455
    Pitfall69 said:

    There's already a forum etiquette thread :)
    Really? I didn't know that. I would guess I'm not the only one. I had a look but can't find it. Can you link to it or are you pulling my leg?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,339
    Pitfall69 said:

    There's already a forum etiquette thread :)
    Really? I didn't know that. I would guess I'm not the only one. I had a look but can't find it. Can you link to it or are you pulling my leg?
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/34/forum-rules-and-code-of-conduct-v1-4-may-2017#latest
    OnebricktoomanyBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 389
    Any news regarding the US version of the game with the polybag?  Gamestop?

    I'd imagine so. It's EB Games here in Canada. 

    Did anyone else notice the Sewer Babies set show up on [email protected] this afternoon with all of the new product for February? I wanted to link to it in this post, but it's gone now. It was there when I was browsing at work earlier though (albeit a placeholder listing, with just the 'under construction' image and no product info). I hope they show up in store next week! :D


    OnebricktoomanymadforLEGOLittleLoriMegtheCatFowlerBricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    edited January 25
    monkyby87 said:
    And I'm not really even sure what you're trying to argue at this point.

    Your tone from the beginning has been "I know my opinions are right and anything to the contrary is ridiculous". 
    Perfectly put.  My overall point is that particularly with LEGO - we don't know what sets are profitable or are wildly successful.  We also don't really know if a set is a flop.  We all may think that the Benny Space Squad set is super-popular, but none of us really know.  We don't know why Bionicle was suddenly retired.  We don't know why Brickheadz disappeared.  We don't know why Angry Birds was selected as a one-off theme.

    Just because one (or many) of us believe we have some profound insight, unless you're privy to the information upon which decisions are made - it is just speculation.

    Here's a thought - what if Solo objectively cost $250M?  Then it's a profitable flop.  But do we know how much it actually cost?  Of course not.
    OnebricktoomanyThe_Stud
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,603
    edited January 25
    Post-script thought...

    Solo's percentage drop was approximately 65% off of its first week.  Deadpool 2 was the same - about 65%.  So... to your point - what does that matter?  Should Fox stop making X-Men movies?  Ant-Man and the Wasp was at 62%... maybe Marvel should pack it in as well?



    I like that you attempted to cite some sources, but in a discussion relating to economics, audience scores are irrelevant.

    https://deadline.com/2018/03/star-wars-the-last-jedi-box-office-movie-profits-1202351603/

    Prospective profits is what will determine what new content and products we'll get.

    (This is where I would post the Stormtroopers/Horse meme.  I promise I'm done.)
    Onebricktoomanysid3windrstluxtmgm528davetheoxygenman
Sign In or Register to comment.
Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy