Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General LEGO Movie 2 DIscussion

1121315171823

Comments

  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 106
    Are you saying we should see the movie before we judge it? :)
    it's easier to act offended / outraged if you haven't seen the film, read the book, heard the speech, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Baby_YodaSumoLego560Heliportdatsunrobbie
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    Or if you've only seen a carefully framed snippet of a larger narrative designed to elicit a very specific response.. oh wait. Nevermind. Now I really am getting to close to reality.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBSumoLegodmcc0
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,229
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you don't understand something then you are in no position to judge it. We haven't seen this film. I highly doubt it's going to provide commentary on the current state of the US government or anything so drastic, especially in this political climate.
    pharmjodThe_Stud
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,944
    Are you saying we should see the movie before we judge it? :)
    That's no fun.  It's much more fun to jump to conclusions with little information, and if we happen to be 'right' to declare ourselves imbued with superior insight.

    We also like to make expectations so high, that nothing can ever live up to it.  And then we complain about it.  This Black VIP card is going to be greatest thing ever when George Lucas delivers my UCS MF on a live Tauntaun!
    Baby_YodapharmjodOnebricktoomany560HeliportdavetheoxygenmanThe_Stud
  • SecretSquirrel18SecretSquirrel18 United KingdomMember Posts: 25
    When are the minifigs going to be in LEGO stores? They’ll do the feeling for me normally...
    Available widely in Argos, my local WHSmith didn't have them but found them in a local toy shop. Spoke to they guy behind the counter, he stated there was mixed boxes out there. 
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 353
    edited January 24
    SumoLego said:

    We also like to make expectations so high, that nothing can ever live up to it. And then we complain about it.  
    Welcome to Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, and all that crap.
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    edited January 24
    klinton said:
    Golem25 said:
    Every word wasted on the Ruth Bader Ginsberg thing is one too many, IMO, but let me just say that I hate, hate, HATE politics creeping into my entertainment. A SCOTUS? Inherently political, especially in this case and this age.
    I don't understand this senitment, no matter how many times I encounter it. 

    Everything 
    is political. Everything we do, every day, from the time we get out of bed until we go to sleep at night... is an expression of our personal political stance. 'Politics' isn't some seperate, ethereal 'other' debated by the men and women in seats of power. It's the collective expression of how we live our daily lives. What we are able to achieve, and what is held outside our grasp. 

    Wishing that 'politics' are witheld from entertainment is merely an expression of entitlement. You're essentially saying "I'm satisfied with the status quo, and don't care to hear about your misfortune whilst I'm being amused".
    Imagine believing this nonsense. I laboured through Liberal Arts at uni for three years having to listen to intersectional schlock, and now here I am getting told off for not wanting a SCOTUS in a family movie about children's building bricks.
    Next time I go to the bathroom or chop some tinder for my fireplace I'll make sure to relieve myself next to the bowl and softly pat the tinder and not burn it because God forbid I dare use the amenities and resources available to me in a way that pleases me.
    There's a time and place for politics; I'm not sure a LEGO movie is the right time and place.
    Now if anyone finds the CMFs in the Netherlands somewhere, please @ me; I feel entitled (gosh, such a naughty word) to buy some.
    sid3windr
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    The chase figures seem to be very rare for this series. In fact, rarer than a solid gold C-3PO.

    So far only one confirmed chase figure has been found. It was Harry Potter with an invisibility cloak. Although I might have bought an HP CMF by mistake when picking up a pile.

    Gibbo1959jmeninnosid3windrmh3490M1J0E
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    If anyone in Wiltshire is looking for Benny's Space Squad then Devizes Sainsburys has about 10 sets on its megre Lego shelf. Still no sign of the new CMFs in the town however.
    Bricktick
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    I’m in the states here I haven’t seen any CMFS signs. I was hoping they’d pop up before the February release date. 
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 424
    Golem25 said:
    Next time I go to the bathroom or chop some tinder for my fireplace I'll make sure to relieve myself next to the bowl and softly pat the tinder and not burn it because God forbid I dare use the amenities and resources available to me in a way that pleases me.

    Chopping Tinder, is that something along the lines of Netflix 'n Chill? ;)

    Will keep u posted if I find CMFs in NL, regularly checking toy stores in Utrecht and Limburg.
    Golem25tomahawkerBaby_Yodadmcc0eddiew
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,333
    monkyby87 said:
    I’m in the states here I haven’t seen any CMFS signs. I was hoping they’d pop up before the February release date. 
    Toys R Us used to be my go to place to get them early....even better they often had 2 for $5 sales. Oh well.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,333
    Target is the next best bet.
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    eMJeeNL said:
    Golem25 said:
    Next time I go to the bathroom or chop some tinder for my fireplace I'll make sure to relieve myself next to the bowl and softly pat the tinder and not burn it because God forbid I dare use the amenities and resources available to me in a way that pleases me.

    Chopping Tinder, is that something along the lines of Netflix 'n Chill? ;)

    Will keep u posted if I find CMFs in NL, regularly checking toy stores in Utrecht and Limburg.
    The girls love my netflix & chill nights but only because I don't have a subscription :P

    Gave my local Intertoys a call, they're not expecting them until the first week of Feb unfortunately.
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    jmeninno said:
    Ummm guys...take this for what it's worth,  but I just left a Lego store and I overheard that there will be a chase figure in this CMF  series.  1 in 10 boxes will have this figure.  Identity of figure unknown.  Apparently it was very hush hush.  *mic drop*
    Ahem, **cough...cough**
    https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/comment/605723#Comment_605723

    Cases, boxes it's all the same when speaking of chase figures and I heard the rumor first.
    oh wait...😂
    jnscoelho
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    If there is one how much you want to bet it's a brand-new Benny with perfect printing and helmet. It will come with a printed tile of a classic space set. 
    Onebricktoomany
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    Happened to notice this this morning. Pre-screenings of TLM2 at select Regal and AMC theaters this Saturday for ony $5.

    https://slickdeals.net/f/12686611-the-lego-movie-2-the-second-part-early-access-screenings-for-5-at-regal-some-amc-theatres-on-1-26?src=frontpage
    OnebricktoomanyThe_Stud
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    By the way, I am willing to bet the farm this version of Benny is going to show up in a set; whether it's gonna be a stupidly expensive one (Seacow) or cheap one (Double Decker Couch), it just has to show up. LEGO'd be stupid not to do it;


    pxchrisLyichirAyliffeLego_StarFowlerBricks
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    ^ we can only hope! Never enough Bennys.

    While we're at it, let's get an entire CMF line of Bennys and other related classic space folk! I mean hey... if Unikitty can get her own line...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Uni..Space?
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    Uni..Space?
    With Star Wars dying (at least for Hasbro and other toymakers), I sincerely hope LEGO will wisen up and launch Classic Space to fill the gap.

    Every store I look, Benny's Space Squad is sold out. The demand is there.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,944
    edited January 24
    Yeah, I don't think Star Wars is 'dying' as a LEGO franchise.  Given Disney's commitment to new content for the next decade... er... millenia... there'll be plenty of popular LEGO Star Wars product.

    A space theme coexisted with SW for many years, so I'm sure those themes are targeting different audiences.  And the absence of a space theme reflects how it independently performs, not in comparison to Star Wars.
    AanchirstluxLyichirThe_StudBaby_Yoda
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    pxchris said:
    ^ we can only hope! Never enough Bennys.
    I hope they do this one!


    Aleyditacaterham7BOBJACK_JACKBOBTheOriginalSimonBdmcc0omniumBriking
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    SumoLego said:
    Yeah, I don't think Star Wars is 'dying' as a LEGO franchise.  Given Disney's commitment to new content for the next decade... er... millenia... there'll be plenty of popular LEGO Star Wars product.

    A space theme coexisted with SW for many years, so I'm sure those themes are targeting different audiences.  And the absence of a space theme reflects how it independently performs, not in comparison to Star Wars.
    Don't discounts the effects of franchise fatigue, TLJ dividing the fanbase, Solo flopping, and other results of the Disney buyout. I don't believe LEGO to be fully resistant to the market forces that have seen Hasbro stock rot away on shelves. The First Order AT-ST was the first overt sign of this, although the Rogue One Constraction figures needed heavy discounts before moving (Baze Malbus was notorious for this).
    Now that I mention the AT-ST, we've seen idosyncracies with LEGO SW sets that were non-existant under Lucas. The disaster with Kylo Ren's Shuttle, for one, and that Strandbeest walker for TLJ. The Prequels all got slews of sets, whereas the Sequels and RO/Solo got very little in comparison; heck, Solo only ever got the train and the hauler beyond its first wave.
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    edited January 24
    Golem25 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Yeah, I don't think Star Wars is 'dying' as a LEGO franchise.  Given Disney's commitment to new content for the next decade... er... millenia... there'll be plenty of popular LEGO Star Wars product.

    A space theme coexisted with SW for many years, so I'm sure those themes are targeting different audiences.  And the absence of a space theme reflects how it independently performs, not in comparison to Star Wars.
    Don't discounts the effects of franchise fatigue, TLJ dividing the fanbase, Solo flopping, and other results of the Disney buyout. I don't believe LEGO to be fully resistant to the market forces that have seen Hasbro stock rot away on shelves. The First Order AT-ST was the first overt sign of this, although the Rogue One Constraction figures needed heavy discounts before moving (Baze Malbus was notorious for this).
    Now that I mention the AT-ST, we've seen idosyncracies with LEGO SW sets that were non-existant under Lucas. The disaster with Kylo Ren's Shuttle, for one, and that Strandbeest walker for TLJ. The Prequels all got slews of sets, whereas the Sequels and RO/Solo got very little in comparison; heck, Solo only ever got the train and the hauler beyond its first wave.
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
    I really wouldn't say Star Wars is the weakest it's been since 1999.  It's still there, and very present, with another main stream movie coming out soon.  Not to mention the new show coming to the Disney streaming service.  Star Wars isn't dying with retailers, it's just in a typical slow phase.  There isn't a major movie or anything going on with it right now to warrant a big showing from the toy makers.  That will all change later this year.

    As far as the prequels go, remember the gluttony of merchandise for TPM in 1999?  There was a crap ton of stuff available, and it backfired.  When AOTC and ROTS came out, you didn't see quite as much stuff.  It's not because people didn't want Star Wars.  Rogue One and Solo are different, as they're standalone/one-off's.  You would naturally only see a small number of sets for them.  Just like the standalone Marvel films, you really only see one or two sets for those as opposed to the big Avengers ensemble movies.  Black Panther was a huge film for Marvel financially and critically, yet it only had two sets.


    Benny's Space squad is hard to find right now because of AFOL's buying multiple copies at a time, it being cheap, and it being essentially a figure pack which are always popular; not because the Lego community as a whole demands Classic Space.  Let's be honest, if you were born in the mid 1990's or later, you probably don't have any interest in Classic Space and don't see the appeal of it.  It truly would only appeal to AFOL's and a handful of younger people.  AFOL's don't drive Lego as much as we like to think we do.  If they released Classic Space, kids would sit there and say "oh, that looks old", and probably lose interest.  It was a cool thing back in what, the 70's?  I just don't see it having the legs it has now.  You can't attribute Benny's Space squad as demand for an entire line to return.
    Golem25pharmjodLyichirCapnRex101The_Studdmcc0
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    Golem25 said:
    klinton said:
    Golem25 said:
    Every word wasted on the Ruth Bader Ginsberg thing is one too many, IMO, but let me just say that I hate, hate, HATE politics creeping into my entertainment. A SCOTUS? Inherently political, especially in this case and this age.
    I don't understand this senitment, no matter how many times I encounter it. 

    Everything 
    is political. Everything we do, every day, from the time we get out of bed until we go to sleep at night... is an expression of our personal political stance. 'Politics' isn't some seperate, ethereal 'other' debated by the men and women in seats of power. It's the collective expression of how we live our daily lives. What we are able to achieve, and what is held outside our grasp. 

    Wishing that 'politics' are witheld from entertainment is merely an expression of entitlement. You're essentially saying "I'm satisfied with the status quo, and don't care to hear about your misfortune whilst I'm being amused".
    Imagine believing this nonsense. I laboured through Liberal Arts at uni for three years having to listen to intersectional schlock, and now here I am getting told off for not wanting a SCOTUS in a family movie about children's building bricks.
    Next time I go to the bathroom or chop some tinder for my fireplace I'll make sure to relieve myself next to the bowl and softly pat the tinder and not burn it because God forbid I dare use the amenities and resources available to me in a way that pleases me.
    There's a time and place for politics; I'm not sure a LEGO movie is the right time and place.
    Now if anyone finds the CMFs in the Netherlands somewhere, please @ me; I feel entitled (gosh, such a naughty word) to buy some.
    So… did nothing about The LEGO Movie's decidedly messages about authoritarianism, mass surveillance, restrictions on migration, monopolization, police overreach, etc. strike you as "political"? Because a lot of right-wing politicians and pundits sure got hot and bothered even about the idea of the antagonist's name being "President Business".
    Now, from my point of view, the movie's messages were not nearly as partisan as some journalists and reviewers made them out to be. Like Pixar's Wall-E, it presented a world where both the right-wing bogeyman of "big government" and the left-wing bogeyman of "big business" had become one and the same, and which as such couldn't be further from either the right-wing ideals like free market capitalism or left-wing ideals like the social economy.
    Even so, those messages were unmistakably political in nature — presenting fairly clear warnings about the dangers of society, government, and the commercial sphere operating in particular ways.
    shikadiLyichirThe_StudBOBJACK_JACKBOBdmcc0Boardshorts85tmgm528
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    Aanchir said:
    So… did nothing about The LEGO Movie's decidedly messages about authoritarianism, mass surveillance, restrictions on migration, monopolization, police overreach, etc. strike you as "political"?
    Point out where I said I liked the first LEGO Movie, or, preferably, never reply to me again. Thanks.
    monkyby87 said:
    I really wouldn't say Star Wars is the weakest it's been since 1999.  It's still there, and very present, with another main stream movie coming out soon.  Not to mention the new show coming to the Disney streaming service.  Star Wars isn't dying with retailers, it's just in a typical slow phase.  There isn't a major movie or anything going on with it right now to warrant a big showing from the toy makers.  That will all change later this year.

    As far as the prequels go, remember the gluttony of merchandise for TPM in 1999?  There was a crap ton of stuff available, and it backfired.  When AOTC and ROTS came out, you didn't see quite as much stuff.  It's not because people didn't want Star Wars.  Rogue One and Solo are different, as they're standalone/one-off's.  You would naturally only see a small number of sets for them.  Just like the standalone Marvel films, you really only see one or two sets for those as opposed to the big Avengers ensemble movies.  Black Panther was a huge film for Marvel financially and critically, yet it only had two sets.


    Benny's Space squad is hard to find right now because of AFOL's buying multiple copies at a time, it being cheap, and it being essentially a figure pack which are always popular; not because the Lego community as a whole demands Classic Space.  Let's be honest, if you were born in the mid 1990's or later, you probably don't have any interest in Classic Space and don't see the appeal of it.  It truly would only appeal to AFOL's and a handful of younger people.  AFOL's don't drive Lego as much as we like to think we do.  If they released Classic Space, kids would sit there and say "oh, that looks old", and probably lose interest.  It was a cool thing back in what, the 70's?  I just don't see it having the legs it has now.  You can't attribute Benny's Space squad as demand for an entire line to return.
    A good point regarding TPM, but I wouldn't call the past few years a slow phase; Constable Zuvio from the Black Series is still found in the wild in large quantities, as are many of the Cassians and Jyns from Rogue 1. Finn was a very bad seller, resulting in him not appearing on single cards for TLJ. Blade builder products clog shelves, the Tower of Tico/Tower of Rose phenomenon is close to reaching meme status, and Star Wars toys have been listed some of the most returned Christmas gifts.
    I also have to note that TFA and TLJ have not gotten quite as strong a support in sets via later waves like TPM/AOTC/ROTS. What did TFA get again, the Takodana set and the truncated B-Wing transport? Not exactly a huge second wave despite it being a tentpole movie still.
    I don't think a comparison to Marvel can be drawn here; a case of apples to pears, really, especially when the topic at hand is about the health of Star Wars. Does make me wonder about the MCU and LEGO sets post-Endgame, but that's a post for another day.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,818
    TheFew said:
    pxchris said:
    ^ we can only hope! Never enough Bennys.
    I hope they do this one!


    I remember someone bought my mum the Benny's Theme record. William Shatner style. But Birmingham based. And rather depressing.

    Golem25
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    Golem25 said:
    Aanchir said:
    So… did nothing about The LEGO Movie's decidedly messages about authoritarianism, mass surveillance, restrictions on migration, monopolization, police overreach, etc. strike you as "political"?
    Point out where I said I liked the first LEGO Movie, or, preferably, never reply to me again. Thanks.
    Sorry, I assumed that if you disliked the previous LEGO movie you wouldn't be nitpicking a minor cameo in this one as if it would have any bearing on your ability to enjoy the movie.
    Lyichirericbstluxdmcc0sid3windrBoardshorts85tmgm528
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 570
    Is #70841 really all that scarce? I've yet to walk into any shop stocking TLM2 products and not see shelves full of it. It's been readily available everywhere since launch. It's the midrange sets (#07824 and #07826, notably) that I've seen missing from all but TRU's overstuffed shelves. I've yet to see a single polybag anywhere, but we're always a few months behind with those. The constant refrain about how hard it is to find feels a wee bit overblown. Unless shoppers here are completely outside of the norm? 
    LittleLoriomnium
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 483
    klinton said:
    Is #70841 really all that scarce? I've yet to walk into any shop stocking TLM2 products and not see shelves full of it. It's been readily available everywhere since launch. It's the midrange sets (#07824 and #07826, notably) that I've seen missing from all but TRU's overstuffed shelves. I've yet to see a single polybag anywhere, but we're always a few months behind with those. The constant refrain about how hard it is to find feels a wee bit overblown. Unless shoppers here are completely outside of the norm? 
    Yes. I’ve found it at three separate stores today. Maybe plenty more stock has been shipped 
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    I haven't been going out of my way to find multiple copies of it, but at least around here, it does appear to be on the more scarce than the more widely available side of things.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,133
    jmeninno said:
    Ummm guys...take this for what it's worth,  but I just left a Lego store and I overheard that there will be a chase figure in this CMF  series.  1 in 10 boxes will have this figure.  Identity of figure unknown.  Apparently it was very hush hush.  *mic drop*
    jmeninno said:
    I could be wrong about the chase minifig.  The way they were speaking about it, and mentioning the name of someone who works in Lego social media, and the fact that I'm friendly with one of them, makes me want to believe they are correct.  (I know not all Lego store employees are as hardcore as we are.)  Time will tell.  I'm actually not sure if I'm happy with the news of this potential chase figure or not.
    I've been thinking about this and the cmf reviews that have already been done so far. Maybe there is a chase figure, only it's not in with the CMF series. I mean, LEGO have packaged a special fig in LEGO SW sets before, so one in every ten of a certain TLM2 set, or in a couple of sets at or above the £80 price point might be something they'd do again.

    This is purely speculation on my part.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,394
    I don't see why Lego couldn't modernize classic space a bit and maybe do a bored series cartoon. Maybe a good way to get more of a variety of colors for the space figs. 
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    Golem25 said:
    Aanchir said:
    So… did nothing about The LEGO Movie's decidedly messages about authoritarianism, mass surveillance, restrictions on migration, monopolization, police overreach, etc. strike you as "political"?
    Point out where I said I liked the first LEGO Movie, or, preferably, never reply to me again. Thanks.
    monkyby87 said:
    I really wouldn't say Star Wars is the weakest it's been since 1999.  It's still there, and very present, with another main stream movie coming out soon.  Not to mention the new show coming to the Disney streaming service.  Star Wars isn't dying with retailers, it's just in a typical slow phase.  There isn't a major movie or anything going on with it right now to warrant a big showing from the toy makers.  That will all change later this year.

    As far as the prequels go, remember the gluttony of merchandise for TPM in 1999?  There was a crap ton of stuff available, and it backfired.  When AOTC and ROTS came out, you didn't see quite as much stuff.  It's not because people didn't want Star Wars.  Rogue One and Solo are different, as they're standalone/one-off's.  You would naturally only see a small number of sets for them.  Just like the standalone Marvel films, you really only see one or two sets for those as opposed to the big Avengers ensemble movies.  Black Panther was a huge film for Marvel financially and critically, yet it only had two sets.


    Benny's Space squad is hard to find right now because of AFOL's buying multiple copies at a time, it being cheap, and it being essentially a figure pack which are always popular; not because the Lego community as a whole demands Classic Space.  Let's be honest, if you were born in the mid 1990's or later, you probably don't have any interest in Classic Space and don't see the appeal of it.  It truly would only appeal to AFOL's and a handful of younger people.  AFOL's don't drive Lego as much as we like to think we do.  If they released Classic Space, kids would sit there and say "oh, that looks old", and probably lose interest.  It was a cool thing back in what, the 70's?  I just don't see it having the legs it has now.  You can't attribute Benny's Space squad as demand for an entire line to return.
    A good point regarding TPM, but I wouldn't call the past few years a slow phase; Constable Zuvio from the Black Series is still found in the wild in large quantities, as are many of the Cassians and Jyns from Rogue 1. Finn was a very bad seller, resulting in him not appearing on single cards for TLJ. Blade builder products clog shelves, the Tower of Tico/Tower of Rose phenomenon is close to reaching meme status, and Star Wars toys have been listed some of the most returned Christmas gifts.
    I also have to note that TFA and TLJ have not gotten quite as strong a support in sets via later waves like TPM/AOTC/ROTS. What did TFA get again, the Takodana set and the truncated B-Wing transport? Not exactly a huge second wave despite it being a tentpole movie still.
    I don't think a comparison to Marvel can be drawn here; a case of apples to pears, really, especially when the topic at hand is about the health of Star Wars. Does make me wonder about the MCU and LEGO sets post-Endgame, but that's a post for another day.
    Constable Zuvio was a peg warmer because he wasn’t very interesting and didn’t actually appear in the movie, at all. So there was zero interest in him. Cassian and Jyn were around like Finn too because they just weren’t that interesting. Aside from Ray, the big main characters are often uninteresting and are rarely the big sellers. But ultimately action figure comparisons are apples and pears, like you said. 

    You can compare Marvel and Star Wars because they’re similar; big movie franchises with standalone films that also have a Lego presence. Your comment basically read “you can’t compare something to Star Wars because it’s not Star Wars”. 
    Golem25
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    I don't see why Lego couldn't modernize classic space a bit and maybe do a bored series cartoon. Maybe a good way to get more of a variety of colors for the space figs. 
    But that would change the identity of Classic Space. People want it for nostalgia, and modernizing it would change that. Lego has tried their hand at different space things, with mixed results. They’re probably happy to keep Star Wars their primary space theme for a while. 
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    klinton said:
    Is #70841 really all that scarce? I've yet to walk into any shop stocking TLM2 products and not see shelves full of it. It's been readily available everywhere since launch. It's the midrange sets (#07824 and #07826, notably) that I've seen missing from all but TRU's overstuffed shelves. I've yet to see a single polybag anywhere, but we're always a few months behind with those. The constant refrain about how hard it is to find feels a wee bit overblown. Unless shoppers here are completely outside of the norm? 
    I too haven’t had any issues finding it now that it’s being stocked by most stores. At first not all stores had TLM2 product upon release so it was inherently harder to find then. But I’ve had no issues with any sets or polybags even. 
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,944
    edited January 24
    Golem25 said:
    With Star Wars in the weakest state it has been since 1999, it makes sense for LEGO to diversify its sci-fi offerings now more than ever.
    You wanting some alternative sci-fi offerings does not make the SW franchise weak.  There is an entire marketing apparatus at TLG that monitors and identifies what performs well in the market.  

    If anything, the SW franchise was likely weakest in the years just before the prequel trilogy in 1999.  With basically no new content from 1984 through 1998, there were less new viewers.  Between the new saga films, independent movies, cartoons and a possible live-action show and something called Star Wars Land - there is currently far more new content.  The fact you may not like the movies doesn't make the franchise weak.  Low interest is what makes a franchise weak.  (Where's my Snorks movie?!?!?)
    Golem25 said:
    The Prequels all got slews of sets, whereas the Sequels and RO/Solo got very little in comparison; heck, Solo only ever got the train and the hauler beyond its first wave.
    Might want to check your facts...
    Episode I had 13 sets released in 1999/2000
    Episode II had 9 sets released in 2002/2003
    Episode III had 13 sets in 2005

    Episode VII had 21 sets in 2015/2016
    Episode VIII had 18 sets 2017/2018

    Rogue One - 12
    Solo -12

    Rogue One made a billion dollars at the box office and is regarded as a huge success; Solo made five hundred million and is called a flop.  Doesn't appear to have an effect on the compliment of LEGO available.  I see a pattern that probably reflects how many sets can be supported by a really, really popular franchise.

    My suggestion is to look past how you would like things to be and examine what actually is.
    Onebricktoomanystarwars4everBaby_YodaPitfall69ericbstluxBumblepantsBoardshorts85The_Stud
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,809
    SumoLego said:

    Rogue One made a billion dollars at the box office and is regarded as a huge success; Solo made five hundred million and is called a flop.  Doesn't appear to have an effect on the compliment of LEGO available.  I see a pattern that probably reflects how many sets can be supported by a really, really popular franchise.
    Another complicating factor with the Star Wars license is that basically every toy company knows that the market is pretty much saturated, but they also know that if they're the ones to cut down on their product assortment it could mean giving up part of their market share to competing businesses that also carry Star Wars products.
    So I feel like most of these companies (LEGO included) are willing to take the risk of some of their Star Wars merchandise becoming shelfwarmers if it means attracting the most Star Wars fans to their companies products rather than their competitors'. The demand for Star Wars merchandise is still plenty strong, but also spread pretty thin.
    OnebricktoomanyThe_Stud
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,944
    Golem25 said:
    Does make me wonder about the MCU and LEGO sets post-Endgame, but that's a post for another day.
    I would anticipate somewhere between 5-7 sets per Avengers movie, and between 1-3 for individual character films.  Not sure why there is any mystery to the relative availability of LEGO sets.
    stlux
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 570
    monkyby87 said:
    I don't see why Lego couldn't modernize classic space a bit and maybe do a bored series cartoon. Maybe a good way to get more of a variety of colors for the space figs. 
    But that would change the identity of Classic Space. People want it for nostalgia, and modernizing it would change that. Lego has tried their hand at different space things, with mixed results. They’re probably happy to keep Star Wars their primary space theme for a while. 
    Yeah, it seems that Classic Space fans are hung up on a very specific æsthetic. The current TLM2 line is brimming with fantastic space ship models, but the hardcores appear to be overtly dismissing those while gushing over the decidely bland mini mcbuilds in #70841. I've seen endless hype over that set in here, but virtually nothing for the creative AF builds in #70828, #70830, and #70831

    I don't understand it, personally. I'm just as happy with these newer designs as I was with my classic space sets as a kid. But, to each their own, of course. We all want what we want, and that's perfectly fine. 
    pharmjodBOBJACK_JACKBOBBumblepantsstluxAanchirsid3windrLyichirThe_Stud
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,097
    Just to very briefly wade in on the "Classic Space" theme, the very term "Classic Space" means very different things to different people, only separated by a few years, relatively. I make no bones about my love of "my" "Classic Space", which fits into a very narrow window of between 1978 and about 1981 - 1983. It's not exact, because some sets between 1981 and 1983 meet my particular aesthetic and some don't. I have zero interest in, or even knowledge of, Blacktron, Futuron, Space Police, Galaxy Squad, or *any* of the other sub-themes that came after that. I had to look them up to even get a few of the names! (OK, I have heard of the first two and some others!).

    I think my point about people's desire for Classic Space is that whatever Lego did, it would probably only appeal to a very small number of a very small part of the Lego world.

    Perhaps they might come up with something new in the "Classic Space" theme but, again, that would likely be hit-and-miss for most people, me included.

    Frankly, I don't think it needs to be done. I still have all my wonderful sets from those "halcyon" days and still have a couple of sets that I need to get hold of. A set like #70841 is a wonderful throwback to that era and I can't wait to get a couple of sets, but does it need to be much more than that? No, I don't think so, IMHO. #70816 was such a treat as well, but does it need repeating? Again, no, not for me.

    Having said all of that, I entirely reserve my right to entirely change my mind, if Lego *do* manage to come up with something incredible one day! ;-)

    Hmmm, apologies... I did say "briefly" at the start. This was far from that. ;-)
    klintonstluxAanchirsid3windrLittleLori
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    I enjoy classic space, but I don't want to see LEGO waste resources on a revival. I feel pretty strongly that it would fall flat on it's face. Plus, I'm more interested in seeing what new things LEGO can come up with, which lately have been pretty impressive across the board.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBSumoLegoPitfall69Bumblepantsstluxdmcc0The_Stud
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,944
    I don't think the last round of Pirates fared too well.
    pharmjodgmonkey76dmcc0The_Stud
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    Pirate was my favorite theme growing up, but I feel like that ship has figuratively sailed also.
    SumoLegodmcc0The_Stud
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    pharmjod said:
    Pirate was my favorite theme growing up, but I feel like that ship has figuratively sailed also.
    Yes, Pirates is one of my all time favorites, but with the short revival several years ago and the Potc line, Pirates in general is likely going to be MIA for a while. 
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 279
    Balderdash, Blacktron was basically Pirates in Space... Do that again LEGO and we'll have the awesome fun of Pirates in Space... Or, you know, make a Treasure Planet inspired set for the Disney brand.

    Honestly I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing something Space related for the second batch of sets, whether or not it is Classic Space inspired is up to debate. Can Classic Space support an entire Theme?

    Considering LEGO seems to be more focused on Evergreen Themes these days I think Space might not fare as well as some folks believe. I mean the stuff in the 'Classic' Space era with the awkwardly designed ships akin to Benny's ship from the first movie just do not have a wide enough appeal. They are too simplistic in their build designs and generally don't look like anything that would excite kids as much as they did in the past. Especially when kids these days seem to prefer more intricate technologically busy models and designs for their space craft.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    @JudgeChuck My definition of Classic Space is 1978-1986/87, but that might just be because I loved my 1986 Light & Sound models and would have loved to get the 1987 monorail :) And to make my definition of "Classic Space" even more inconsistent, it does not include any of the other Futuron sets :)

    How big of a success was #70816 Benny's Spaceship actually? Unlike other TLM sets, there were still plenty on store shelves around where I live more than 6 months after it retired. Which was fortunate for me, as it allowed me to pick it up half-price just after I came out of my DA.

    I suspect a revived Classic Space theme would be as successful as Creator Expert trains. Something a subgroup of AFOL's clamour very loudly for, but would not be profitable for TLG. (Yes, as per statements from Jamie Berard, Creator Expert trains didn't sell.)

    @klinton After Ultrakatty, #70828 and #70830 are the next highest TLM2 sets on my wanted list. Just waiting for 30% off :) (currently available at 25%) Very unique designs with some nice features.
    LittleLori
  • Golem25Golem25 Western EuropeMember Posts: 33
    SumoLego said:
    You wanting some alternative sci-fi offerings does not make the SW franchise weak.
    The fact you may not like the movies doesn't make the franchise weak.
    My suggestion is to look past how you would like things to be and examine what actually is.
    My suggestion is to no longer intersperse otherwise reasonably well-thought out posts with what amounts to (baseless) ad hominem. I've little interest in continuing a conversation when I'm met with this level of disdain.
    monkyby87 said:
    Constable Zuvio was a peg warmer because he wasn’t very interesting and didn’t actually appear in the movie, at all. So there was zero interest in him. Cassian and Jyn were around like Finn too because they just weren’t that interesting. Aside from Ray, the big main characters are often uninteresting and are rarely the big sellers. But ultimately action figure comparisons are apples and pears, like you said. 

    You can compare Marvel and Star Wars because they’re similar; big movie franchises with standalone films that also have a Lego presence. Your comment basically read “you can’t compare something to Star Wars because it’s not Star Wars”. 

    Although the reasons for Zuvio still clogging store shelves are clear, I really mentioned him because he represented the first instance of a Star Wars figure pegwarming this hard; really, only the somewhat rotund lady from Jabba’s Palace ever came close, with the addendum that she was released during a post-movie lull. The pegwarming of Jyn, Cassian, Finn, Rey, Rose, Hux in greater-than-ever amounts, even seeing Star Wars products now being pushed into discount stores, proves they aren’t big sellers, but then I wonder which figures are considering the distinct lack of aliens in TFA, RO, and TLJ lines (and even then, Zuvio as one of the aliens didn’t sell). Only Kylo Ren and the stormtroopers seem to really move units.

    My comment regarding not comparing Star Wars and Marvel relates to the fact that I do not know the licensing agreements and fees for both lines; are they the exact same or differ based on line/movie?


Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.