Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Round Robin

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^ +1
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I wanna play too! Can you please add me to the USA list for CA?
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    I am with the 1 box per continent contingent. After they go around to everyone then they can make the hop.

But count me in (NY) either way, sounds like great fun.

• littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2012
    ^ Yes! Thanks @graphite, that's exactly what I meant. I agree you need some guidelines, but like I said, I'd hope everyone would act fairly. Can't wait to get started! :)
    Definitely. I'm participating because I enjoy the community here and want to contribute. If I get some neat/interesting bricks along the way, that's just a bonus. It's far more important that whoever gets the package AFTER me is pleased with what I've included.

I'm in either way but it would be nice to have 2 boxes, double the fun and most importantly - so we can get it started SOOOOON!
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @bmwlego How many people were in your jumbalaya and how long did it take to make it round the circle?

With the number of people we seem to have it could take a long time to get back to jadedanc. That would be my argument for 2, or more, boxes. I don't know that I'd want the pressure of getting one every week, or even every month, but if it's dragging out towards a year that would get frustrating.

I do think that each box should go to everyone if we can find enough people to volunteer to send internationally. I'll volunteer to send one to the UK, I seem to be sending them stuff every week anyhow :)

Here's hoping the Nashville store (8 days till opening!) likes grab bags as much as littletoki's!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I think the tough bit is working out who goes first, since they need to have a relatively good stash of things to start it off with. I sort of have, and sort of don't. But happy to start the UK one, if people don't mind taking a chance on me. A fair amount will be used stuff as I'm not near a store to get PAB or grab bags. But I do have a lot of minifig parts.
  • aimlesspursuitsaimlesspursuits USMember Posts: 207
    I'd like to participate. This sounds like fun. I'm in the US in AZ.
    Okay, just bought 10 more grab bags. I am ready! :D
  • jocappyjocappy Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2012
    Okay, just bought 10 more grab bags. I am ready! :D
    I never see them! How stocked was the PAB wall.

I'll be in too. Washington state here.
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    This sounds like fun, I'm in the UK
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited March 2012
    Since I have editing powers, I'm happy to help this get off the ground by maintaining a list of participants with their locales so we can have the boxes travel somewhat efficiently.

I've collected the interest expressed in this thread so far, and made my best inference of what state, country you are in. If you see any errors, or your information is not present, please let me know.

For anyone that is interested that comes into this thread from this point forward, please provide your interest and location.

US: @jadeanc: we'll wait for you to confirm if you want to start the US shipment. If you would rather defer, that's fine too.

UK: @savage_steel has offered. Let me know what you decide. I'll also leave it up to you guys to order it since some of you may be able to just hand another person the box :P

US
    jadedanc: WA
    jocappy: WA
    KulshanGirl: WA
    dougts: OR
    littletoki: OR
    rocao: CA
    BrickDancer: CA
    aimlesspursuits: AZ
    graphite: IA
    Jenni: TN
    allmybricks: NC
    kks: VA
    Yellowcastle: VA
    bmwlego: NY
    murphquake: NY
    pcirone: NY
    andyscouse: MA
    MontyKensicle: ?

Europe
    Savage_Steel: UK
    LostInTranslation: UK
    princedraven: UK
    collect_that: UK
    andhe: UK
    Redbullgivesuwind: UK
    Matthew: UK
    legonut80: UK
    bluemoose: UK
    Thanks for doing that, rocao. It was very helpful.

Although it would make sense for @dougts and myself to be consecutive since we're both in OR - I'd like to suggest whoever creates the shipping order to separate us.

He smells.

KIDDING! He's a great guy. It's just that we've been trading in person and he has access to my vault of grab bags goodies. I'm just speaking for myself though - doug might completely yell at me and disagree. :D

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,270
    edited March 2012
    IA here just FYI.
    Updated - Matthew
    edited March 2012
    ^ Ok, sure, makes sense. Are you guys able to agree on who goes before the other? :P
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I've got a bunch of free PAB boxes I need to use up in the next 10 days, so if there is anything in particular that someone might want in the jambalaya, I can see what I can do. things I know are there right now: 2x4 bricks in multiples colors, tan 2x6, 2x8, and 2x10 plates, red 1x6 bricks, 2x8 plates. green 1x2 slopes. lime green 1x2 brick, medium blue 1x2 brick, light grey 2x2x2 slopes, 1x8 tile in black, white, red, and blue, 2x2 dark tan tile. car windshields in 2x4 and 2x6, red and brown seats, white 1x4 brick that hinges in the middle. might still be green bamboo stems
    ^ oh, I don't care. this is all good fun, so whatever works is fine with me. With any luck, I'll be raiding 'Toki's stash this weekend and getting all the stuff I want anyway. ;-)
    ^ Some brown seats and 2x2 dark tan tiles would be nice please.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    I don't mind being last on the UK list and sending across the pond.
    ^ Ok, since toki wrote in bold that she is ready, I'll put her first
    also if you're trying to order it with shortest shipping distance between sends then the section from andyscouse to jenni should be reversed. IA->TN->NY->MA is the shortest route.
    If you use a flat rate medium box it can cross country and not need to go state by stare. I think it's worth it for the entertainment of a surprise box. :)
    ^ Oh. I like that. Definitely worth the $10 or so.
    ^^ If its only a 1 gallon bag it'll probably be cheaper to use the non flat rate medium priority box since it would probably only be $8 to ship vs the $11.35 the flat rate box is.
    Oh, thought it was a bit more, my guess is it will grow in size.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    edited March 2012
    Count me in

YELLOWCASTLE, Virginia :o)
    Oh, thought it was a bit more, my guess is it will grow in size.
    It's gonna grow after it leaves Oregon. That's for sure. ;)
    Haha
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    edited March 2012
    ^^ Is that a horror movie tagline?
    ^ Nooo, don't you start on movies. You're worse than Lucy for going off topic, and that's saying something... If I leave and come back in the morning, I'm sure there'll be no link to Lego in this thread...
    ^ That's bold talk coming from a one eyed fat man. ;o)
    edited March 2012
    ^^ Excuuuuse me? Didn't I win a certain bet whereby you weren't supposed to chastise me for off-topicness any more?
    Besides I've been very good [in this thread].
    ^ I'd definitely vote for the medium flat rate priority box. let's just start with one of those and jam it as full as possible. each person should then do the same on their turn. everyone pays the same amount of shipping, instead of worrying about piece counts or weights, we are just targetting the volume of the box. I'd probably go with ziploc within box for a little extra protection as well.

Man, I can't wait to start - it's going to be like Christmas morning waiting for that thing to arrive.
  • KulshanGirlKulshanGirl Member Posts: 67
    I will play too. Bellingham, WA. :)
    ^ That's bold talk coming from a one eyed fat man. ;o)
    Fill that Lego box, you son of a ...

Sorry! I blame LostinTranslation! :)
    ^ There! See Lucy - It's not just me who bullies you ;o)
    UK peeps - how are we going to do this? If we keep it under 1kg with the box it can be sent 2nd class for £3.15. That's £12 to send to the states though! eek! 500g?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    @graphite I volunteered to mail it to UK, I think that's why I'm last on the US list.
    My big brother has just joined this forum and he's going to make all the people who are mean to me VERY sorry. Let's see that's:
    1. Matthew
    2. Littletoki...

Keep 'em coming, I'll keep score.
    Sav - I'm not that bothered about the postage. If need be I'll just take out the heaviest items when I post to the US. And leave off the usual shedload of stickers :-)
    I wanted to point out a disadvantage for the 1st Player if this is intended to be 1 round, being that they will not have an option of picking and choosing parts as they are the final destination. Inversely 2nd Player will have a limited selection solely based on the variety of parts 1st Player chooses, this trend will carry on to the 3rd player and so on but at a decreasing rate. So players at the end of the cycle have best pick. If we do a 2-round cycle, then these issues should be alleviated since everyone involved will have fair access to selection of parts.
    ^ I don't think anyone is looking for this to be fair, only fun. I don't expect to be taking much but I have a lot of cool parts I'd like to add. :o)
    I do think 2 rounds would be good. Or if it goes transatlantic the box goes to the person who started it across the pond. just realised that by offering to start it I'll be last to get it back. *impatient!*
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I'm up for this too (UK).

My gut feeling is to keep the US & UK boxes completely separate; avoids any issues with Customs / import-export issues.
    ^That is a good suggestion! That way the 1st Player from each side gets first access to the transatlantic selection of parts. Hmm this alone makes being 1st Player an interesting position to be in.
    just realised that by offering to start it I'll be last to get it back. *impatient!*
    LMAO. Yup - that's me in a nutshell too. Impatient!

I'm surprised at the level of interest this has generated. Great idea @jadedanc!

I'm guessing the box will reach about 2 or 3 players each week, if we are each prompt in getting it back out. So I'm thinking 2 months for a full 1-cycle domestic before it gets back to 1st Player.
    UK peeps - shall we start ours at Brickish? Bring along what you want to get rid of, and we'll try and do a few swaps then. Also it would mean we've got an idea of the standard of bricks going in and out...
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 811
    Going 1st has its benefits but you do lose out on cool parts. In the flickr group we were able to request that parts that were put in be saved for members that the package hadn't been sent to yet. With flickr you are able to upload pics of what you take out and put in-guess this could be done here as well.

This conversation is quite busy. Perhaps once the groups are set up further discussions can take place in closed areas (is this possible) to cancel out the chatter of the wider brickset community?

I can't be certain how long the previous rounds took but judging from the discussions it was about 5 months for about 10 participants.

No one got hosed with garbage bricks. Put matching pairs of parts in the package, Don't put in trashy looking bricks. If you take 4 minifigs out put 4 minifigs in. Etc.
  • allmybricksallmybricks Member Posts: 156
    I'm in North Carolina. I've emailed my address to jadedanc
    Ah, so that's what those little bags with the writing were all about, @bmwlego? People including little packets of items to specific members?

Hmmm.