Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Fumigation and Your collection

Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 761
Has anyone had fumigation done to their house/apartment complex and what did you guys do to your collection? Does it damage boxes or yellow plastic and such? Apologies if this has been brought up before. 

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,479
    This is why I live in a climate where everything freezes over for five months.

My suggestion would be to find out what materials the fumigator will be using - and see if it impacts cardboard or plastic.
    davetheoxygenmanPumpkin_3CK5Fizyx560Heliportgmonkey76
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,142
    If you have anything of significant value (not just Lego), I would not leave it in the house during fumigation. The house is vulnerable to burglary. I would take Mr Gold, MISB Cafe Corner, precious jewelry, etc.

You will have to move or seal your food so you may as well protect anything else delicate that you are concerned with. I don’t think the gas will leave any residue or damage to any surfaces though.
    Pumpkin_3CK5
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 761
    I had a feeling I'll be basically packing like I'm moving lol. I'd rather not risk it. I feel like the apartment management could've done more to prevent this from happening though.

Anyways, they're using Vikane. Most sites I've checked say it's not harmful to toys or books. It will penetrate boxes and kill things other than termites. Of course, nothing specific regarding things only collectors would notice.