Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Ridiculous eBay Auctions

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,394
    I guess they are good enough to use the Lepin picture, even if they spam with the LEGO trademark all over the description.

• sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,322
    But that depends on whether you want to attempt it and put the risk of permanent damage on yourself. There are those that will still make you into "that guy" if you rip it at all, despite what others did to it. It's like restoring artifacts for a museum that somebody knackered, in fact it's identical, so you have to be sure you'll succeed. As Yoda says, "do or do not, there is no try"
    Getting mr. Bean visions here... :D
    CyberdragonPumpkin_3CK5
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    Tkatt said:
    This listing is ridiculously deceptive. Right up until the last line of the description when it finally says, "Not original LEGO".

It also has a 'Lepin' faux-box photo.  So it is a bit of a giveaway for the discerning customer.

I see that litigation settlement worked and Lepin isn't providing stolen marketing materials.
    Switchfoot55Baby_YodastluxdatsunrobbieSprinkleOtter
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,388
    edited October 2018
    ^The set is also named "Magic World"...so another give away. 

I would have thought Wand Wrns would be more appropriate?

I also find the TM next to the Lepin logo ironically amazing. 
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaSprinkleOttersid3windr
    I also find the TM next to the Lepin logo ironically amazing. 
    Ya gotta protect your intellectual property!
    Muftak1Baby_YodaSwitchfoot55kiki180703SprinkleOtterVorpalRyu
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,135
    edited October 2018
    They've even set the brand option as "Lego". Surely that'd be enough for the listing to be removed?
    sid3windr
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,391
    ^  I reported the auction as soon as I saw it here, I have reported probably hundreds of these type of auctions and from what I've seen Ebay couldn't care less about the IP rip-off. As long as buyers don't complain, these auctions will continue. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,088
    I vaguely remember reading an article about counterfeit handbags on ebay having been a big issue that ebay only started dealing with once a large group of the big fashion brands started having meetings that were supposedly to do with figuring out possible legal action to take against eBay rather than the sellers. 

As with anything people tend to care about themselves first and foremost so as long as eBay are still making money they don't really care. 
  • Tom79Tom79 Member Posts: 14
    Magic Wolrd?
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 881
    To be exact: "Magic USoLrd". 
    Switchfoot55
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^  I reported the auction as soon as I saw it here, I have reported probably hundreds of these type of auctions
    Some Ebay employee: Oh, look, a listing's been reported.
    *Clicks on report*
    Employee: I see. Who sent this?
    <<oldtodd33>>
    Employee: Oh for Pete's sake, not this guy again...
    FowlerBricksSprinkleOtterPumpkin_3CK5andheCraig_B
    There is a reason that Lepin photo isn't the main photo. The sort of buyer that doesn't really read the description isn't going to look at all the photos.

If eBay don't care, and Lego doesn't care, and buyers don't care, not much will be done.
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 354
    I believe the saying is "it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt". So basically until someone steps on a brick...Then the litigation starts.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 246
    Tkatt said:
    This listing is ridiculously deceptive. Right up until the last line of the description when it finally says, "Not original LEGO".
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Harry-Potter-75954-Wizarding-World-Hogwarts-Great-Hall-New-2018/273507963441?epid=18023623850&hash=item3fae585231:g:ZJsAAOSwgYdbwvN9

LEGO makes it, Lepin fakes it. I wonder how hard it would be for LEGO to purchase Lepin and shut them down. 
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 586
    cody6268 said:
    Tkatt said:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Harry-Potter-75954-Wizarding-World-Hogwarts-Great-Hall-New-2018/273507963441?epid=18023623850&hash=item3fae585231:g:ZJsAAOSwgYdbwvN9

LEGO makes it, Lepin fakes it. I wonder how hard it would be for LEGO to purchase Lepin and shut them down. 
    Don't worry everyone, they raised the price to $80 to make it less suspicious....
    sid3windr
    CCC said:
    ...called Nepil...
    "I have Nepil Greg, can you milk me?"
    Switchfoot55gmonkey76dmcc0kiki180703Pitfall69
    SOmeone seems to be offering a load of SDCC figures for fairly large sums. You can tell it's the one seller, because of the parquet floor in the pictures.

Set the filter to "newly listed"; you'll see what I mean.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 871
    @Kaitch

You are totally wrong...

That’s not parquet flooring, it’s a tiled table!
    ^Regardless, it's the same in all the pics.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 479
    edited November 2018
    oops
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,670
    edited November 2018
    ^I know this one is available with the latest dvd but was it also given out at comic con? Seems to ring a bell and is the sort of thing they'd hand out on a booth, so he may not be wrong, just inaccurate with the 'exclusive' part.
    Yes to the handout. It came up on the thread discussing the SDCC exclusives.
    andhe
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 744
    ^Free expedited shipping! It's a bargain!
    Pumpkin_3CK5
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 368
    f2iso100 said:
    But you could get the two year payment plan at just $62 a month! XD
    sid3windr
    From [email protected], you get the $49.99 a month payment plan, for a bargain one month!
    So, remember a while ago we were discussing bad service by delivery companies? Here is a box I recieved today. It's from [email protected], but delivered by DHL. Of the three sets inside, only one has a damaged box - unfortunately, the one I bought as a gift.
    I recall seeing this on sale.  But free shipping!

And $399.78?  Is that to undercut the $399.99 crowd?
    Pitfall69oldtodd33SprinkleOtterBaby_Yodakiki180703560HeliportMynatt
    oh yeah?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292665536415

People seem to sell them anywhere between normal and $400, I see widely varying prices.
    I'd like to know how expensive yesterday shipping cost would be.
    SprinkleOtterBaby_Yodakiki180703Pumpkin_3CK5Pitfall69
    What are they using to ship, a U2 plane?
    SpaceX.  And then by Tesla.
    SprinkleOtter
    Can I get one delivered to the moon?
    SumoLego
    Make sure to ask for signature confirmation.
    SprinkleOtter
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,322
    SumoLego said:
    SpaceX.  And then by Tesla.
    Bezos has his own space toy doesn't he? I doubt he'd use SpaceX.
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 134
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173685492747

Not ridiculous for the Price but how often do you get to Own Ed Sheeran’s Super Star Destroyer?
    edited December 2018
    ^ More often than you think ...

They are doing a quick flip, as it sold for £260 + fees.

stlux
    ^^I like that the descrition said it was "probably one of the biggest". For £500, you'd think they'd at least check the stats.
    Baby_Yoda
    At least the description doesn't say, "This might have been owned by Ed Sheeran. Not entirely sure."
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 376
    I’m surprised that the asking price wasn’t higher, because whenever a famous name is attached to something, it usually sells for a lot more. However, that’s when the ownership can actually be confirmed. It still wouldn’t stop people from trying to sell something with unconfirmed celebrity ownership, though.
  • SecretSquirrel18SecretSquirrel18 United KingdomMember Posts: 25
    acedogg77 said:
    Just bought Dumbledores office 4729 of an ebayer named Legendary, winning bid was £15.41 and postage took it just over £20, only to recieve a message saying he isn't willing to sell at that price as he's losing money on it and wants at least £30 for it. If that was the case, set the start price at £30 or put a reserve on, pretty fuming about it tbh. He does have other lego up for auction, so I'd recommend you all avoid.
    Report the seller to ebay.
    datsunrobbieklintonMr_Cross
    Also, saw someone selling Ghostbusters HQ brand new sealed at the weekend for £90 + £3 p&p. Sellers zero feedback, only joined that day and was selling one at a time, last time I looked they had sold five. Going to be some very sad people out there...
    Mr_Cross
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,431
    While often a bad sign, every seller starts with zero feedback. I bought refurbished Sphero R2D2 and BB8 droids for Christmas from a new seller "brandconnection" for $30 each, and was happily surprised that they showed up looking and working like new. They now show hundreds sold and around 20 negatives. Caution is always advised, but once in a while a deal really IS a deal.

Lego-related content - Sphero BB8 crashing into the side of a Lego train will often cause derailment, and he's incredibly fast running along the inside edge of a basic oval track setup.
    While often a bad sign, every seller starts with zero feedback. I bought refurbished Sphero R2D2 and BB8 droids for Christmas from a new seller "brandconnection" for $30 each, and was happily surprised that they showed up looking and working like new. They now show hundreds sold and around 20 negatives. Caution is always advised, but once in a while a deal really IS a deal.

Lego-related content - Sphero BB8 crashing into the side of a Lego train will often cause derailment, and he's incredibly fast running along the inside edge of a basic oval track setup.
    Would lay a bet that not one of those buyers get their GB HQ sets. 
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 454
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254059440794 

Saw this one today, obviously a scam but I can see how easy it would be to be fooled if you were just a casual purchaser.
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 350
    tmgm528 said:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254059440794 

Saw this one today, obviously a scam but I can see how easy it would be to be fooled if you were just a casual purchaser.
    I would think it’d be very easy to be fooled indeed.  I can’t see anything obvious beyond an oddly low price (and the ‘more than 10 available’.. sure right) to indicate it might not be legit.  Ebay does point out the trending price is higher.  
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 454
    M1J0E said:
    I would think it’d be very easy to be fooled indeed.  I can’t see anything obvious beyond an oddly low price (and the ‘more than 10 available’.. sure right) to indicate it might not be legit.  Ebay does point out the trending price is higher.  
    I clicked on it earlier thinking it was an actual auction, but inspecting showed the oddness. More than 10 available, only feedback for buying - not selling, and the real kicker is in the description they note that the box is creased as shown - but obviously if someone did have a horde of this set they wouldnt all be bent in one spot. Very deceptive
    M1J0EBaby_Yodakiki180703