Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General LEGO Movie 2 DIscussion

18911131423

Comments

  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,338
    I'm sure it's been covered in detail elsewhere but i wanted to give a quick thumbs up for #70830. A really ingenious build-love the use of the four white fender parts from Penguin's Arctic Roller-that's surprisingly weighty and bigger than i expected. The pink stars mounted on the side wings as well as the overall color scheme give it an excellent 70s disco era vibe. One minor complaint-the use of skeleton arms to hold the front hatch in place. Surely at this point there's something more secure in the Lego parts universe than these spindly, easily broken attachments. That's about it though. If this set was $10-15 cheaper it would a perfect 10/10...
    It is $15 cheaper at Target... I picked mine up for $55.
    gmonkey76datsunrobbieMegtheCatAstrobricksThe_Stud
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,338
    How many different versions can you have built at the same time?
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    dannyrww said:
    How many different versions can you have built at the same time?
     
    It includes five seperate faces and crowns, so five models at one time. If you have #70824 as well, you can have up to seven models at once (one will be missing the diadem though). 



    MegtheCatbrickventuresdannyrwwThe_StudstluxMr_CrossSumoLegoLittleLoridatsunrobbie
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    pharmjod said:
    I learned my lessons from TLM, TLBM and TLNM. I only buy those sets at 50%+ off unless it's a store exclusive, then I may buy at 30% off. I'll pick up TLM2 sets some at the end of summer and the rest after Christmas. Patience is definitely a virtue when buying LEGO. 

    That said, I have loved most of the sets from all those themes and this one is no different.
    I kind of understand this logic (everyone likes to save money), but I just can't understand fans and/or collectors of something constantly waiting for clearance pricing on something they love.

    Merchandise that consistently lingers on shelves until it needs to be heavily discounted sends all of the wrong messages to retailers and to the company producing the product. It causes a false price inflation on the front end msrp to offset potential price reductions, and it leads to decreased volume and diversity in product orders and thus available supply. 

    If there were less people who 'wait for sales' and more consistent consumers, Lego would cost less and stores would stock a larger variety of Lego products. 
    dutchlegofan50
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    pharmjod said:
    I learned my lessons from TLM, TLBM and TLNM. I only buy those sets at 50%+ off unless it's a store exclusive, then I may buy at 30% off. I'll pick up TLM2 sets some at the end of summer and the rest after Christmas. Patience is definitely a virtue when buying LEGO. 

    That said, I have loved most of the sets from all those themes and this one is no different.
    That's quite a while you'll have to wait, and you likely won't find all of the sets on clearance.  I only remember a handful of sets from each theme that were discounted that much.  Patience can be a virtue, but holding out doesn't always pay off in the end.  But I'm all for getting a good sale too.
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 497
    edited January 6
    At the Walmart I visited yesterday, the new TLM2 sets were all marked as "clearance" with big yellow shelf tags. So far it is just the 20% off that has been seen by others, but it seems weird to call it clearance and not just a rollback. Not that I will argue. I got the 3 $19.99 sets and the amount I saved covered the Unikitty set which was only $.15 off.

    @flord I started as a minifigure collector & found that sometimes it was cheaper to buy sets on clearance than to buy them on BL or ebay individually. I understand the reasoning though, because a bunch of figures fit into a smaller space.
    SumoLegoOnebricktoomanyThe_Stud
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    SumoLego said:
    And please don't forget that sets on clearance or discount still have profit margins built-in.  
    You're trying to argue with me by restating my precise point in different words... as a counter argument? Hahaha. 

    Anyhow, I'm not particularly interested in dissecting the ripple effects of sell through thresholds and the current post-Walmart retail model at length in an online forum about Lego. I was a bit remiss in my initial comment, as this really isn't the correct arena. I do apologize for derailing the thread. We can go back to waiting on sales and excitedly gushing over the new sets now. :D
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    I should also add that I don't have this same strategy for all LEGO sets. I buy poly bags at retail and if there is a set I really like, I will often buy at 20-30% off just to get a copy. I will buy at retail from SAH for a good promo. The main reason I wait on the LEGO movie properties is because LEGO makes a ton of them. They over produce them all. They will go on sale, heavily discounted in nearly every instance. Thus my $ goes further by waiting.
    madforLEGOgmonkey76The_StudSumoLegodatsunrobbieBoardshorts85
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    My local Target just stocked the movie sets this weekend, though they didn’t have all of them. They didn’t have the Rex sets, Metalbeard cycle, or Unikitty sweets set. Walmart on the other hand didn’t have the dream house, pop up bus, or systar ship. Nobody had the big Rexplorer. Walmart didn’t have any of Benny, while Target had a ton of Benny. 
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,437
    pharmjod said:
    I should also add that I don't have this same strategy for all LEGO sets. I buy poly bags at retail and if there is a set I really like, I will often buy at 20-30% off just to get a copy. I will buy at retail from SAH for a good promo. The main reason I wait on the LEGO movie properties is because LEGO makes a ton of them. They over produce them all. They will go on sale, heavily discounted in nearly every instance. Thus my $ goes further by waiting.
    The LEGO Movie 2 line does not have a lot of 'want' from me. I wanted the Space Squad Set (as did everyone else apparently) and got those. I want the Emmet master build poly , the Benny and Emmet workshop Juniors set (for the classic space ship), the Ultrakitty set, Unikitty sweetest friends ever (because of the ice cream cone figure), Battle ready batman (for Batman), and Apocalypseburg set (for the whole set). The rest are neat, but not interesting enough to me even at 20-30% off. And, to be honest, if I can spend less by finding and buying the parts I want out of each set I may not buy the sets at all.
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 232
    We have retailers that whack up the price and give it a %sale back to original price and shout loudly about sale ,the idiots take the bait and more stock moves -no move by me so I can't get even the smallest sets at a reasonable price - consolation is it's a toy and more living space in my real world
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    pharmjod said:
    I should also add that I don't have this same strategy for all LEGO sets. I buy poly bags at retail and if there is a set I really like, I will often buy at 20-30% off just to get a copy. I will buy at retail from SAH for a good promo. The main reason I wait on the LEGO movie properties is because LEGO makes a ton of them. They over produce them all. They will go on sale, heavily discounted in nearly every instance. Thus my $ goes further by waiting.
    The LEGO Movie 2 line does not have a lot of 'want' from me. I wanted the Space Squad Set (as did everyone else apparently) and got those. I want the Emmet master build poly , the Benny and Emmet workshop Juniors set (for the classic space ship), the Ultrakitty set, Unikitty sweetest friends ever (because of the ice cream cone figure), Battle ready batman (for Batman), and Apocalypseburg set (for the whole set). The rest are neat, but not interesting enough to me even at 20-30% off. And, to be honest, if I can spend less by finding and buying the parts I want out of each set I may not buy the sets at all.
    I chuckled because you say it doesn’t have a lot want from you but you listed quite a handful. 
    LyichirMegtheCatBaby_YodaThe_StudmsandersbrickventuresAanchir
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    I did get the B & N exclusive Harry Potter minifig set however. That has to mostly negate the extra $15 i paid. If i choose to sell it, that is. Which i probably never will..
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    Who is this guy, in the cockpit with Benny? 


  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    klinton said:
    Who is this guy, in the cockpit with Benny? 


    That is Balthazar. He’s a “non-threatening” vampire minidoll who runs a spa in the Systar System. He seems to play an important role in the film, as he appeared on the new IMAX poster.
    klinton
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    The_Stud said:
    That is Balthazar. He’s a “non-threatening” vampire minidoll who runs a spa in the Systar System. He seems to play an important role in the film, as he appeared on the new IMAX poster.
    Huh. I'll assume we're likely getting a spa set in wave 2 then? From post-apocalyptic grunge to crystal haired vampires and spas, hahaha. 
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    klinton said:
    The_Stud said:
    That is Balthazar. He’s a “non-threatening” vampire minidoll who runs a spa in the Systar System. He seems to play an important role in the film, as he appeared on the new IMAX poster.
    Huh. I'll assume we're likely getting a spa set in wave 2 then? From post-apocalyptic grunge to crystal haired vampires and spas, hahaha. 
    Yeah, I have a feeling we’ll be getting more stuff from the Systar System in Wave 2, including the spaceship from that screenshot you posted. If we’re lucky, Lego will be revealing some of the Wave 2 sets to coincide with the film’s release!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,216
    I'm more interested in the possibilty of trans-green hair?  Is this unprecedented? As I don't recall seeing it before.
    Baby_Yoda
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    The_Stud said:
    Yeah, I have a feeling we’ll be getting more stuff from the Systar System in Wave 2, including the spaceship from that screenshot you posted. If we’re lucky, Lego will be revealing some of the Wave 2 sets to coincide with the film’s release!
    That's fine by me, tbh. The Party Bus is freaking amazing. If it and Sweet Mahem's ship (which I haven't built yet, but it looks great) are any indication of what's to come, I'm game. I fully assumed Benny was going to get a new ship. His first one was super popular last time. I'll be completely floored if they don't release one. 

    SumoLego said:
    I'm more interested in the possibilty of trans-green hair?  Is this unprecedented? As I don't recall seeing it before.
    Ghost Rider and Firestorm both have trans red 'hair' elements. They're permanently fused to their heads though. 
    The_Stud
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 298
    Didn't one of the Agents 2.0 villains have trans green hair???
  • The_StudThe_Stud IndianaMember Posts: 49
    klinton said:
    The_Stud said:
    Yeah, I have a feeling we’ll be getting more stuff from the Systar System in Wave 2, including the spaceship from that screenshot you posted. If we’re lucky, Lego will be revealing some of the Wave 2 sets to coincide with the film’s release!
    That's fine by me, tbh. The Party Bus is freaking amazing. If it and Sweet Mahem's ship (which I haven't built yet, but it looks great) are any indication of what's to come, I'm game. I fully assumed Benny was going to get a new ship. His first one was super popular last time. I'll be completely floored if they don't release one. 
    I’m glad to hear you like the Pop Up Party Bus! I was actually thinking about passing on it until recently. I watched a few reviews on it and now I like the set a lot better than when I first saw pictures of it. It’s just so unique, with it’s color-scheme and sleek build. Not to mention that it was already a great deal with 1,000+ pieces for 80 bucks, but now it’s already twenty percent off at Target, which makes the set an even better value! The trans-purple Slave 1 cockpit, the pieces in the new Vibrant Coral color, and that awesome Disco Kitty are just icing on the cake. I will definitely be picking this one up within the next few weeks!



    BTW, we are apparently getting an... umbrella as a promo at some point!?




    LEGOFan2
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    The_Stud said:
    klinton said:
    That's fine by me, tbh. The Party Bus is freaking amazing. If it and Sweet Mahem's ship (which I haven't built yet, but it looks great) are any indication of what's to come, I'm game. I fully assumed Benny was going to get a new ship. His first one was super popular last time. I'll be I’m glad to hear you like the Pop Up Party Bus! I was actually thinking about passing on it until recently. I watched a few reviews on it and now I like the set a lot better than when I first saw pictures of it. It’s just so unique, with it’s color-scheme and sleek build. Not to mention that it was already a great deal with 1,000+ pieces for 80 bucks, but now it’s already twenty percent off at Target, which makes the set an even better value! The trans-purple Slave 1 cockpit, the pieces in the new Vibrant Coral color, and that awesome Disco Kitty are just icing on the cake. I will definitely be picking this one up within the next few weeks!
    Def grab it! It was fun to build, and it's fun to just pick up and play with. The disco light feature is simple but effective. The whole set just lights right up, with just one light brick refracted through a trans orange piece. 

    I've already given Disco Kitty a bit of a makeover. I grabbed a handful of the Unikitty! CMFs last week in hopes of getting Queasy Kitty (who I got!), and there was one with this sparkly torso. I figured it fully fit Disco Kitty. :p


    The_StudstluxAyliffeMegtheCatmadforLEGOLittleLoriLego_Star
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 835
    edited January 7
    Did not see this up anywhere (happening @ Target)...


  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,558
    They get to keep the vest, but not the “few bricks”?
    Baby_Yoda
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 835
    Yup...probably some paper vest.

    On another note, Benny's Space Squad is in stock at Target for shipping & pick up.
    I believe Target had a street date for these sets as Jan. 6 which is why they are now freely available.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,558
    Each child gets a safety orange vest and whoever can bring the most shopping carts back inside from the cart returns in the parking lot wins!
    None of those electric “cart engines” either, and bonus points for carts not in the returns :)
    560Heliport
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,049
    klinton said:
    #70825 is seriously underrated (if the paltry 34 Brickset members owning this set is any indication).


    It's a £35 set and the contents (455) look like a Classic box. It is in competition with existing Classic sets like #10404 (£25 RRP, 579 parts, but often sold at £18-20). And I imagine many people have bricks like these already in their collection and rarely use them:


    I can understand why the numbers with it are currently low. It might seem better value / more desirable once the movie is out and the characters in it have some meaning, especially if important, but it wouldn't surprise me if this one is easy to pick up at a significant (30-50% off) discount later on.

    klintongmonkey76LittleLori
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 835
    Each child gets a safety orange vest and whoever can bring the most shopping carts back inside from the cart returns in the parking lot wins!
    A Lego store actually did something like this where they had a competition to see who could sort out the most build a minifigure contest.  The competitors each got a nexoknight figure.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,558
    Each child gets a safety orange vest and whoever can bring the most shopping carts back inside from the cart returns in the parking lot wins!
    A Lego store actually did something like this where they had a competition to see who could sort out the most build a minifigure contest.  The competitors each got a nexoknight figure.
    Does not compute. Sort out the most what, again?
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 298
    January 18-February 28 in Canada. VIP members get a free album with collector card when spending 15$ Everybody spend 15$ get a trading card pack, spend 40$ get three trading card packs. That is crazy... let the trading card swaps commence.
    BumblepantsLittleLori
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 835
    Does not compute. Sort out the most what, again?
    Sorry...sort out the pieces of the BAM.  People will build the minifigs and leave it there so the  store had kids take them apart and sort them by the type of pieces.  
    Astrobricks
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 89
    In set 70824, is anyone else bothered by the looseness of the wings on the Sweet Mayhem mini doll? They just kind of rattle around on her neck... Or am I doing something wrong?
    LostInTranslation
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 755
    CathyVT said:
    In set 70824, is anyone else bothered by the looseness of the wings on the Sweet Mayhem mini doll? They just kind of rattle around on her neck... Or am I doing something wrong?
    That's how it is, unfortunately. The shoulder armor is designed to fit on all styles of mini-doll torso, which vary more in thickness than minifigures, so it's slightly loose on Sweet Mayhem. That said, I suppose the compatibility is preferable to the lack thereof for parts like the amulet from Lego Elves, which doesn't fit well on the bustier "adult woman" torso.
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 741
    CCC said:
    It's a £35 set and the contents (455) look like a Classic box. It is in competition with existing Classic sets like #10404 (£25 RRP, 579 parts, but often sold at £18-20). And I imagine many people have bricks like these already in their collection and rarely use them:


    I can understand why the numbers with it are currently low. It might seem better value / more desirable once the movie is out and the characters in it have some meaning, especially if important, but it wouldn't surprise me if this one is easy to pick up at a significant (30-50% off) discount later on.

    Oh, for sure. I'd imagine demand will def pick up if she turns out to be a hilight of the film. I was smitten with the character on contact (she's an evil Lego Barbapoppa! What's not to love?), so the box was an instant buy for me. I can certainly understand why the set isn't everyone's first pick from the line though. That I haven't played with a pile of simple bricks in decades made the purchase all that much more appealing. :D
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,422
    I'm sure it's been covered in detail elsewhere but i wanted to give a quick thumbs up for #70830. A really ingenious build-love the use of the four white fender parts from Penguin's Arctic Roller-that's surprisingly weighty and bigger than i expected.
    You realize those are actually hot air balloon parts from city/friends, right? ;-)
    stluxLyichirAanchirPumpkin_3CK5CM4SBaby_Yoda
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 755
    I'm sure it's been covered in detail elsewhere but i wanted to give a quick thumbs up for #70830. A really ingenious build-love the use of the four white fender parts from Penguin's Arctic Roller-that's surprisingly weighty and bigger than i expected. The pink stars mounted on the side wings as well as the overall color scheme give it an excellent 70s disco era vibe. One minor complaint-the use of skeleton arms to hold the front hatch in place. Surely at this point there's something more secure in the Lego parts universe than these spindly, easily broken attachments. That's about it though. If this set was $10-15 cheaper it would a perfect 10/10...
    Honestly I can't help but feel a little smug seeing so many people with this reaction. Back when it was revealed I remember a lot of grousing about the price (including an above average price-per-piece), but after making a mock-up of it on LDD I realized that the largely studless exterior made its true bulk deceptive.

    SumoLego said:
    I'm more interested in the possibilty of trans-green hair?  Is this unprecedented? As I don't recall seeing it before.
    Based on the pictures in one of the companion books, I think it's Trans. Light Blue rather than Trans. Green. Which is still cool!

    Aanchir
  • CathyVTCathyVT VermontMember Posts: 89
    Lyichir said:
    CathyVT said:
    In set 70824, is anyone else bothered by the looseness of the wings on the Sweet Mayhem mini doll? They just kind of rattle around on her neck... Or am I doing something wrong?
    That's how it is, unfortunately. The shoulder armor is designed to fit on all styles of mini-doll torso, which vary more in thickness than minifigures, so it's slightly loose on Sweet Mayhem. That said, I suppose the compatibility is preferable to the lack thereof for parts like the amulet from Lego Elves, which doesn't fit well on the bustier "adult woman" torso.
    I took a tiny round scrap of paper, poked a hole in it with a pen, and fit it over the mini doll's neck under the armor/wings and now it is snugger, and I'm happier. It still moves a little, but I didn't like the feeling of it rattling every time I picked up the mini doll.
    LittleLori
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I know that Metalbeard's bike is a Target exclusive (I believe), but are there any other?  Ultrakitty isn't listed on Target's website I know.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 930
    FWIW I've seen Ultrakatty at Barnes & Noble, and didn't see Metalbeard there.
    Astrobricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,558
    monkyby87 said:
    I know that Metalbeard's bike is a Target exclusive (I believe), but are there any other?  Ultrakitty isn't listed on Target's website I know.
    When doing searches, remember it’s Ultrakatty, not Ultrakitty.
    MaffyD
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    monkyby87 said:
    I know that Metalbeard's bike is a Target exclusive (I believe), but are there any other?  Ultrakitty isn't listed on Target's website I know.
    When doing searches, remember it’s Ultrakatty, not Ultrakitty.
    Yes sorry a habit. But Target has a specific section for LM2 stuff, as do other stores online. 
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,478
    monkyby87 said:
    monkyby87 said:
    I know that Metalbeard's bike is a Target exclusive (I believe), but are there any other?  Ultrakitty isn't listed on Target's website I know.
    When doing searches, remember it’s Ultrakatty, not Ultrakitty.
    Yes sorry a habit. But Target has a specific section for LM2 stuff, as do other stores online. 
    Whatever it's called I saw it at Wal-Mart.
    Modeltrainman
Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.