Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How common are spare pieces?

BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 150
I have only just got back into Lego. I’ve just finished building the pizza van 60150 and there are quite a few spare / leftover pieces. Is this common? 

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 389
    Every set has spares. They pack the bags by wieght, so they always toss in a couple of extras of 1x1 parts to account for potential error.
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 150
    Ah okay, explains why there are only 1x1 pieces spare. Can’t complain, can always use them for future builds of things. Thanks for your reply. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,592
    1*1s of every type, visors, taps, friction pins, cheese slopes, probably a few others I'm forgetting. After awhile you learn what to expect as extras. 
    gmonkey76M1J0EMynatt
    I did worry at first I had missed a step or something. 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 701
    I have been planning on starting a thread about spare pieces because in the past you would know (through experience) exactly what spare pieces you should end up with. If a bag contained a black 1x1 tile, you'd always end up with a black 1x1 tile spare. This would be the case for every bag in the set, so you may end up with several 1x1 black tiles spare by the end of the build if several bags contained them. This has always been a useful tool to 'double check' your work. E.g. if you end up with two spare 1x1 black tiles at the end of a bag, you know you missed one out somewhere along the line. Also, if you ended up with an unexpected part spare (E.g. a larger 2x2 tile), you would likewise know you'd missed it out from somewhere.

I love these 'free' bonus parts, but Lego seems to have recently changed how they allocate the extra parts. While it used to be one spare of each (expected) element per bag, it has now changed to just one spare per set. This not only reduces the number of freebie pieces you get, but it also makes it harder to use them as a double-check for errors. E.g. if you used 1x1 black tiles in bag one you will still get a spare now. If 1x1 black tiles are also used in bag 10, you now won't get an additional spare. The only problem now is that if you do have an extra 1x1 black tile after finishing bag 10, you will have to be really on the ball to know that this isn't a spare but has actually been missed out somewhere.

So I fear we will never again see the bounty of free pieces we received in Ninjago City and Ninjago Docks - surely the two biggest hauls of 'free' pieces of any Lego set. Pic below is of the bonus pieces from these sets (NC left, ND right).

M1J0EBumblepantsLuLegosid3windr
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 762
    edited January 5
    Some sets from the 90's I bought(sealed #6905, #1737, #6852 for examples) off eBay didn't come with spares. I got some #1195 and that's from 2001 I believe, and it came with extras so maybe they started adding them around that time.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,391
    ^ No, I bought plenty of new sets in the late 80's and they came with small spares also. 
    sid3windr
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 393
    edited January 5
    It also helps tell me that I need to pay more attention to the part call outs when I get to the end and have a ‘spare’ that isn’t a 1x1 piece, then have to go back through the instructions to find out where I missed something...
    CommanderRaab
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 393
    On the other side of the coin what surprises me isn't just the number of free pieces, but how reliably Lego get the part count in a set accurate, especially in the larger sets. I've had just the one piece, in one set, missing in the last 18 months (and may well have simply lost it). That's in at least 30 sets with a piece count above 800 including very large sets like Ninjago City, City Docks, Destiny's Bounty, Old Fishing Store and so on.
    sid3windr
    ^^I bought a sealed #6810 and that one didn't have any extras either. It's cool how the 1x1 round plates came in sprues though. Maybe bigger sets did? 
    edited January 6
    I just remembered #6705 did come with extra visors and stuff. Maybe it just depends on the mood of the people packing the pieces lolz 
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 350
    Useful to check the set inventory as well, as there are some odd exceptions with larger spare parts.  Not sure why.  In building #10251 I wound up with 2 extra 1x2 plates.  One dark gray, one light.  After going back through to make sure I didn’t miss a step, I had to check bricklink & sure enough those are documented as spares in the set.  Odd, you don’t normally get anything larger than a 1x1.  But le largest spare I’ve gotten yet is in #21005 with a tan 1x3.  I’m still sure I missed one somewhere, but it’s also a documented spare for that set.  
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,244
    I think there was a spare phone and ski in the UCS Y Wing. 2 green 1x4 plates in the creator expert ferrari.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 881
    I noticed some sets come with spare antenna too. 
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 928
    edited January 6
    My #918 from way back in 1979 had spare pieces, iirc it was only one 1x1 trans red and one 1x1 trans green that came with it though, maybe there was a light grey 1x2 or 2x2 plate too? It's a long time ago and I've been to sleep since then.

I definitely remember I had spares with many (but definitely not anywhere near all) of my childhood sets. I had assumed that LEGO had always included spares in their sets. I couldn't confirm that for the early to late 90s though as I only bought one LEGO set #8880 during the years of my higher education and first years at work.
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 87
    milamber said:
    On the other side of the coin what surprises me isn't just the number of free pieces, but how reliably Lego get the part count in a set accurate, especially in the larger sets. I've had just the one piece, in one set, missing in the last 18 months (and may well have simply lost it). That's in at least 30 sets with a piece count above 800 including very large sets like Ninjago City, City Docks, Destiny's Bounty, Old Fishing Store and so on.
    I've never had a missing piece in the 3 years since I rejoined the light (150+ sets). I did, however, have 2 x white and 1 x dark blue large bow pieces in #31083 when it should have been the other way around and the largest spare I ever received was a light bley 2x16 plate in #60148. Still had a third one left at the end of the build and was baffled as to how I missed such a large step until I checked the inventory and saw that there was only supposed to be two.
    milamber said:
    I've never had a missing piece in the 3 years since I rejoined the light (150+ sets). I did, however, have 2 x white and 1 x dark blue large bow pieces in #31083 when it should have been the other way around and the largest spare I ever received was a light bley 2x16 plate in #60148. Still had a third one left at the end of the build and was baffled as to how I missed such a large step until I checked the inventory and saw that there was only supposed to be two.
    I’ve just build #10261 Creator Roller Coaster and 2 parts are missing. Also one of the coaster cars has a defect which doesn’t allow for the wheels to turn. But considering the set is over 4000 pieces it’s not bad. 
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 498
    M1J0E said:
    Useful to check the set inventory as well, as there are some odd exceptions with larger spare parts.  Not sure why.  In building #10251 I wound up with 2 extra 1x2 plates.  One dark gray, one light.  After going back through to make sure I didn’t miss a step, I had to check bricklink & sure enough those are documented as spares in the set.  Odd, you don’t normally get anything larger than a 1x1.  But le largest spare I’ve gotten yet is in #21005 with a tan 1x3.  I’m still sure I missed one somewhere, but it’s also a documented spare for that set.  
    Yeah, those spare parts in the Brick Bank caught me off guard too. Spent a while working back through the instructions before it occurred to me to check if they should be spare.

The oddest spare part I've had was a light grey 2x10 plate in the Saturn V. It shouldn't have even been in the set, but I was missing a 2x4 slope brick in the same colour.
    M1J0E
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,244
    I think my biggest spare piece came from the ninjago lighthouse set of 2016. a very long flexible tube.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 466
    edited January 6
    The number and type of spare pieces has ebbed and flowed over the years.  In the late 70s and early 80s spare pieces were often meant for the alternative models on the back of the boxes.  The yellow castle (#375) as a couple of very distinct extras that don't go with the main model.
    By the mid 80's the alternative models didn't require extra pieces and this practice stopped.  Spare parts occurred, but weren't anywhere near as common as today.  Anything that came on a sprue would often have extras.  Normally this was 1x1 rounds, flowers and plumes.  With 1x1 rounds if you needed an odd number pieces than there was an spare, if you needed an even number there wasn't.
    After they stopped using the sprue with 1x1 rounds in the early 90s, spare pieces became quite rare for a while.  I'd still get the occasional spares, but they were infrequent.  That started to change in late 90's and early 2000's.  About the time the instructions started to bloat, so did my spare parts bin.  It was pretty simple to manage until they went to numbered bags.  That really exploded the number.  But the last year and half that seems to be trend the other way now.  Spares are not always a given with every numbered bag.  Every once in a while there will still be the oddball piece that doesn't go to the set and I'll spend an hour or more search the instructions for it.  But that's pretty rare.

sid3windr
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 350
    The number and type of spare pieces has ebbed and flowed over the years.  In the late 70s and early 80s spare pieces were often meant for the alternative models on the back of the boxes.  The yellow castle (#375) as a couple of very distinct extras that don't go with the main model.
    By the mid 80's the alternative models didn't require extra pieces and this practice stopped.  Spare parts occurred, but weren't anywhere near as common as today.  Anything that came on a sprue would often have extras.  Normally this was 1x1 rounds, flowers and plumes.  With 1x1 rounds if you needed an odd number pieces than there was an spare, if you needed an even number there wasn't.
    After they stopped using the sprue with 1x1 rounds in the early 90s, spare pieces became quite rare for a while.  I'd still get the occasional spares, but they were infrequent.  That started to change in late 90's and early 2000's.  About the time the instructions started to bloat, so did my spare parts bin.  It was pretty simple to manage until they went to numbered bags.  That really exploded the number.  But the last year and half that seems to be trend the other way now.  Spares are not always a given with every numbered bag.  Every once in a while there will still be the oddball piece that doesn't go to the set and I'll spend an hour or more search the instructions for it.  But that's pretty rare.

Thanks for the reminder!  I’d forgotten when I was a kid, that 1x1 rounds used to come on a sprue.  
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,592
    My sister and I always used the transparent color sprues for jewels for our castle and pirate sets along with the chrome gold sprue from the coins. Was kinda sad they stopped coming that way.
    560Heliportnatro220Pumpkin_3CK5LittleLori
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 744
    ^ Me too! I got an extra 1x4 white plate in #75970 Tracer vs. Widowmaker... it was loose in the box, the bags were sealed, and all the other parts were there, including the usual spares. Weird.
    BumblepantsBaby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,135
    If it was loose, I'd imagine it was a production error. I'm pretty sure pieces are measured by the bag, although I would have thought the box would be checked at the end as well.
    The spare pieces I look forward to are the 1x1 printed tiles, especially if they're specific to a theme (e.g. Nexo Knight coat of arms)
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,135
    ^ It's very convenient when that happens. There were usually enough leftovers in the Minecraft Micro World sets to create an extra copy of each figure.