Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2019 Modular Rumours

1161718192022»

Comments

• BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 178
    2020 modular:

It will be a definitely 'straight' modular (although theres a chance of another DD or PR style I highly doubt they would do DD, a proper corner and then another 'corner). Now it could be similar to AS or even an inverted corner but again thats extremely unlikely straight after CG

A third 50s Americana is certainly possible or even likely however the architecture of CG has made it a lot easier for the next modular to revert back to normal modular style (either European or possibly another art deco one like DO). Also, I personally cannot think of any other 50s Americana buildings they could do other then a car dealership, record store, drive in or dance hall. A imagine a car dealership would be too similar in theme/context to CG (I know technically a garage and dealership are very different things but it would be like a cafe and then a restaurant and Im sure thell go for something different). A record store would probably be too similar to a music shop which we have already had (plus it would really be just a lot of shelves with 2x2 tiles on them), a modular drive in would be both difficult to execute and extremely unlikely and I doubt Lego would devote the 'main' part of a modular to a dance hall.

While I personally would love to see more old cars I doubt the next modular will include a vehicle.

Furthermore, I think it would be a fair line of inquiry to think what would make sense next to a garage (in the designer video they said it was on the edge of town, although in saying that Im not suggesting 2020 modular should be a factory). Now of course Lego can be a bit random in regards what goes near what; Vets and garages arent usually together, however I do believe that a museum, Ritz style hotel or Oriental restaurant can all be (sadly) at least put towards the bottom of the list of possible modulars since all these wouldnt look right next to a garage. I also think the same can be said for a post office or police station (although a police station wouldnt look as out of place next to CG as say an Indian restaurant).

What does everyone hypothesize for the 'theme' of the next modular (or also the modulars after that)? Do we think the 50s Americana style will be continued? A return to European architecture but set in the 50s? The good thing is that (hopefully) we can still have 1930s/40s buildings, tech and vehicles and for those wishing to stick to the maximum period set by Lego can just make it the 50s (since plenty of pre 50s cars and buildings were still around) 

What I really really hope is that we never go past the 50s (like the 60s are cool and a build for a 70s/80s desktop computer would be fun but once we move to the 60s, then they'll go to the 70s, 80s and eventually start getting modern modulars which as well as being terrible, boring and ugly would really be just oversized City sets)

I think an interesting way to have these 'new' American modulars next to a more traditional one would be a DO or PS style modular with one building in traditional style and the other be a combination of 'modern' and old, possibly giving suggestions {although certainly not official ones} of a post Blitz London or Europe {say a setting of late 1940s very early 50s} when half destroyed buildings were being rebuilt, which would also be a good way to include a construction site.

Also, while the CG was very necessary to help DD fit in, I hope we dont get stuck into a 'theme' for each street or every 3 modulars of whatever. Keep them all the current style with each building being different and unique but not too out of place like DD unless its a themed business with a purpose like PR (a Oriental restaurant would also be excused from that rule since its a restaurant). Now while the pre DD 'American' modulars cope lots of flak I still find that sets like DO and BB looked quite OK with their European counterparts and while DO was distinctly Prohibition America it wasnt like DD where it was extremely specific. I guess what Im trying to say is, to use a music analogy, we could think of the European 1930s as C major chord where F chord and G chord are fine with it (F chord can be DO for example) so it is varied but still works however if we go down the path of multiple 50s American or too American specific or a collection of Asian modulars (as some have suggested) the modular 'song' would then include a E flat major 7 or something which DOES NOT WORK.

Hopefully this will at the very least start a discussion on the 2020 modular and please lets not have all these random comments or deliberately stupid suggestions like sewage works and sausage factories.
    arathemis
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    I was thinking a live music venue would be a nice addition. Make it a jazz club and it fits into any real or imagined modular time frame. I also like the idea of a record store. A theater with a large stage and auditorium to go with the PC, a schoolhouse, or a library. Please no more restaurants. 
    BrickchapBaby_YodaBOBJACK_JACKBOBAyliffe
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 178
    @brianoblivion Yes a jazz club would be great! All those ideas are great although Id love to see a proper Italian restaurant (and not just pizzas) before we 'scrap' modular restaurants
    youtube_blockhead
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 751
    Police Precinct
    MrJacksongmonkey76
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    edited December 2018
    Aanchir said:
    "...Have to change some plans, and put the street back to the 1930s instead of the 20th century."
    True, but can you imagine how inconvenient that would be? Setting up your entire city layout to fit in the 1900s, and then having to change it to the 1900s. That's a pretty big time leap.
    Gibbo1959pharmjodAstrobricksCraig_BLewisB
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,518
    If they are going 1930-50's then the classic Bowling Ally or maybe a Roller Dancehall might be possible.
    However a Hospital, School or Library would also be welcome.
    wardmBrickchap
  • youtube_blockheadyoutube_blockhead yorkshire Member Posts: 49
    murder mystery house, with actual crime scene
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 536
    ^ I'm now thinking of an Escape Room. I think that could be a cool idea in LEGO. I'm not sure if it would be best for a Modular, but I'm imagining something with hidden dials and gears, a building with a secret/hidden/puzzle element to it. It could apeall to both Afols (the technicalities of the puzzle) and kids (the playability).

It's just a thought, I might ponder this a bit more over the holidays but i think there could be potential there.
    edited December 2018
    Along those lines, I just googled and found this - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15646261445
    Would love to see a fully built mansion!
    Also, there's quite a few escape room builds on Ideas.
    edited December 2018
    I was thinking a live music venue would be a nice addition. Make it a jazz club and it fits into any real or imagined modular time frame.
    I have been thinking of building exactly this, using the club from the Netflix show 'Luke Cage' as inspiration.
    It would fit right in next to DO.
    SumoLego
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    Aren't Jazz Clubs usually in basements?

SumoLegogmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,563
    Subterranean Modulars?

(Maybe we'll get some sewer babies after all!)
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenmanstluxBaby_Yodastarwars4ever
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 922
    The one building I've always hoped to see would be a newspaper. It could have one floor with a printing press, one floor with the bullpen, and a third floor for editorial. Include a loading dock out back with a delivery van, and it would be perfect. 
    Russell844LyichirBrickchapAyliffeMynatt
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,563
    What's a newspaper?
    Pitfall69pharmjodgmonkey76MynattFollowsClosely
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 659
    I they're those magazines that print out internet headlines. They're even modular as they aren't stapled so you can rearrange the news however you want!
    dingbat
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 922
    SumoLego said:
    What's a newspaper?
    GIT OFF MAH LAWN!
    Brickchap
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,136
    Really nice!

I love the printing press and typewriters and the awesome amounts of clutter! ;-)
    Astrobricks
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 306
    SumoLego said:
    Subterranean Modulars?

(Maybe we'll get some sewer babies after all!)
    I think I saw something like that in one of the threads, something about turtles. Can’t quite remember where though!
    BumblepantsAstrobricks
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,758
    klinton said:
    The one building I've always hoped to see would be a newspaper. It could have one floor with a printing press, one floor with the bullpen, and a third floor for editorial. Include a loading dock out back with a delivery van, and it would be perfect. 
    I did a moc of a Newspaper Office early this year. 

More (and larger) photos are on my Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeVtByV
    Awesome.
    But I think they need to change the sign on the building to match their masthead, or vice versa :)
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 604
    Not a single post on people buying the new Modular? 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
    I bought it! I used my VIP points and got it for free. 
    piratemania7BumblepantsPyrobugBrickchapgmonkey76Baby_Yodamustang69
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 179
    edited January 2019
    Didn't pull the trigger day one - I keep telling myself I'm going to finish the builds I currently have underway before starting the next one - I'll be waiting for a 2x VIP opportunity.  But based on what I'm seeing on Instagram, I like the new modular even more now that I'm seeing it in other people's setups.  Generally seems like the build process itself is being positively received as well.  

I did pick up 70823 Emmet's Thricycle specifically for the vintage Octan pump so I can work this into a moc and give my city two places to fill up...
    gmonkey76
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    edited January 2019
    I usually try to get this day 1 - just gets harder and harder to swallow that price tag!
    Brickchap
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,155
    I can wait until there is something better than a fire quad or Friends pod for promo options to go with it.
    AstrobricksPitfall69
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635
    Debating.  I’d thought day 1, but BB came in from backorder just before Christmas, so building that now.  I could wait for a better promo or double VIP.  
  • inklingbricksinklingbricks Member Posts: 80
    I bought it, but haven't built it yet. Saw it in the store though and it's a really nice design - does anyone else think it looks a bit too tall when placed alongside the other modulars though? I might lower it by one or two bricks.
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 179
    edited January 2019
    I bought it, but haven't built it yet. Saw it in the store though and it's a really nice design - does anyone else think it looks a bit too tall when placed alongside the other modulars though? I might lower it by one or two bricks.
    To my eye, the modulars break into two groups
    - Grand, single structure builds (CC, GG, TH, FB, GE, PC)
    - Dense, multi-structure builds (MS, PS, DO, BB, AS)

Parisian Restaurant and Downtown Diner seem to have a foot in each court since they are straight modulars with a less-than-32w primary facade

To my eye, Corner Garage lands in the first camp which would explain it looking tall compared to DO, BB, AS, or even DD.  This hits on what I find fun about the modulars, aside from the building experience - crafting a streetscape that looks properly scaled (and probably why I don't have a TH towering over everything....yet)
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327
    I just completed the build last night. I worked one set of bags per night over the past week. I thought it was a fun build and looks really nice, love the colors. Now I just need to fit into my display cabinets. That might involve some rearranging.
    RogerKirkKjellevirus