Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Grab Bags

Comments

• gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Yesterday an employee at Downtown Disney said they are not supposed to put any of the minifies into the grab bags. In all my time, I've only received one "cheerleader" and I never see them in the bags either. Yesterday I did see two heads but no bodies. I actually addressed "Star Wars" figs so maybe she just meant those but still, never see the minifigs in my area.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,768
    ^ I think the rule is 'no licenced minifigs'.
    Looks like it (along with lots of other rules) is broken depending on where you are and who you are...
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 519
    edited February 2012
    @gmpirate - that is nuts. The last batch of grab bags (about 35 in total) had around 75 minifigs, mostly from City Police, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Ninjago. And I thought that was a poor showing, considering the sheer number of bags.

Especially since it pales in comparision to the time that 8 grab bags yielded over 150+ minifigs.

Your Downtown Disney store has some real tightly wound ass(t) managers who seem to get off on making their own rules.
    @littletoki I think maybe your store is the odd one out (for the better), none of the stores I have been in have ever had licenced figs in grab bags and nowhere near the count that you have experienced.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    edited February 2012
    The last batch of grab bags we got had plenty (actually almost all) licensed figs in them at about 2-3 minifigs per bag. I always assumed it just came down to which damaged sets they broke down to fill the bags up with.

Interestingly all of the minifigs were put together correctly, sometimes with proper accessories, so clearly some employee was having fun while trying to pass the slow time at the store.

Not sure I will ever see another grab bag though as last time I was in the store and asked, the employee told me that they have a customer who calls literally everyday to see if they have put any out, and I am pretty sure this is a clear-the-shelves type of customer.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    ^^ mine either. The grab bags mostly contain PAB pieces.
    edited February 2012
    ^^ I thought that the grab bags were mainly broken down display sets which would account for the fact that your figs were made up.
    Again my understanding from the store managers I have discussed it with is that licenced figures should definately NOT be put in bags, but again not surprised that some do, does seem completely hit and miss as to what rules are followed in what store.
    edited February 2012
    I guess you're right @princedraven - it does seem to vary widely. Because at my local store, it looks like the grab bags consist of a healthy mix of returned sets that they cannot or will not resell, dismantled display sets and PaB. And that’s been fairly consistent for over a year now.

I do, however, also have an asston of 2x bricks that I don't know what to do with.
  • sturner26sturner26 Member Posts: 19
    Had $5 off thanks to VIP so I picked up a bag for 2.99. Got 5-7 minifigures and a about 300 pieces, totally worth it. The only bad part is 30 transparent doors, all without door frame...
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    I'm virtually certain licensed parts are contractually obligated to not be sold in this fashion. They can only be sold in the sets or gear for which they were intended.

And yeah, @littletoki, your experience is the exception and not the rule.

Once again, let's be envious of these experiences, but not raise a fuss if we personally don't come across them, because the only thing that's likely to result from this coming to LBR's attention is stricter adherence to the rules.
  • avoiceoreasonavoiceoreason Member Posts: 224
    ^ Yes, please don't make a fuss!

I guess my store is the same as @littletoki 's. The grab bags, when they are available, I have been told are a mix of store displays, PAB extras, and any returned or damaged sets that otherwise cannot be sold.

@princedraven I can assure you the figs weren't all from display sets, as some of the figs we got in the last batch were from the (then) brand new Star Wars sets that had not yet made their way into the display cabinets.

Who knows, maybe we just got lucky that time. It's definitely not something to count on though, as it has to be going on about five months now with nary a grab bag in sight.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    Jumping in late, but I soooo HEART grab bags. Use the windows on the front to gain a sense of what is in them, and you can limit the PaB overflow grab bags.

A list of some great items I've gained from grab bags:

Three pirate ship masts. A ship's sail. the large front piece of a ship (I know have built a wrecked ship with them :) A white plate for a train. A few HP minifigs (though always rare to find minifigs. One bag contained over 500 yellow coffee cups (shrugs and wonders how to moc with them). Another bag contained over 500 black wine glasses (fun for mocs). Parts of CARS characters. Really great arches.

The Mall of America store often spreads grab bags around the store, placing them in empty spaces on the walls. They even have Duplo in grab bags at times.

In Miami, a bit hit and miss, though the store at Adventura Mall has offered up some nice finds. I think it does come down to the managers, though, and how they wish to "manage" the loose pieces in their store.

I love the grab bags because they might contain difficult-to-obtain colors :)
    I agree, they are fun, but I still haven't come across any great set of pieces in my area. Still a good value compared to PAB. Much better alternative than having my kids do the PAB wall.
    @gmpirate - anything in particular you're looking for? Minifigs etc? I could always trade for a credit at GMPirate's Lego Store LLC! :)

@littletoki lol, I think its actually just the thrill of the hunt. All my grab bags just pile up behind my monitors :P

Would be fun to find a group of them that looked like it had a complete set. Around here they do a pretty good job of splitting them all up :(
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    @gmpirate, I was able to build the HP Burrow out of a collection of 7 grab bags. Cost of Burrow = $60 (U.S). Cost of 7 grab bags = $56 (U.S.)... was only missing 3 of 6 minifigs, too...
    But in those bags, I also gained 60% of Hagrids Hut, and a lot of other random pieces.
    @krklint Yeah, I don't look at it really as saving any money but finds like that would be fun. My stores mix a ton of PAB bricks in so I'm not so sure it would even be worth trying. But, I probably would!
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 799
    If you don't see any grab bags you can always ask an employee to make you some.
    ^^ True, full of PAB.
  • kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    Glendale was a disappointment. They didn't have any and said to check mid-week, when they have down time to make them. But I don't live nearby so can only go on a weekend I go down to LA. I got some nice kits which ameliorated my mood though.
    kits?
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    ^ Sets I'd assume
    Got grab bags at Downtown Disney LEGO store. I also picked up Winter Post Office for $55.98. Plus, Disneyland annual pass holders get an extra 10% off. Sweet!
    @kuf Anything special about the grab bags?
    Not today. I don't think they have any sets behind plexiglass in their temporary location, so no broken down sets in the bags. It was so cramped with bodies in there, I can't be 100% sure.

A recent find in a grab bag from Glendale was a black heart I had made from two 3176 plates from pieces in the PAB wall and just put back in there on a whim the previous week.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    I managed to get two magnetic connectors, 3 bogies, 1 flex track and a bunch of wheels (no axles, still trying to figure out that one) from 10 different grab bags. Colors from Emerald night (but more likely 7939). Bags were slim on minfigs, tons of dots (lime green, clear lt blue - anyone doing an ocean MOC?)

Don't suppose anyone knows of a distribution list (tweet, whatever) that people use to call out when grab bags are up and out for purchase? In sf bay area, but it would be nice if there were an easy way to let other AFOLs know if we've seen grab bags
  • jadeirenejadeirene US, CaliforniaMember Posts: 475
    For anyone near the San Jose LEGO Store, they just put out new grab bags. The bags are made up of quite a few disassembled sets (plus the usual PAB mix), but it's a much better selection in the bags than what they usually put in.

I only bought 3 bags, and there are a ton more there.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    thanks jadeirene! I'm headed down to san jose later today, now if I can just convince the wife that the boy really needs to experience his first lego store at 3 1/2 yrs ....
    ^ Oh, he does :)
  • JDSJDS Member Posts: 5
    Toki, I live in Molalla so I want to check out that Tigard LEGO store myself. I just rediscovered LEGO within the last year or so, so I have some work to do getting my collection up.

Are the grab bags there good for figures and accessories and stuff like that? Do they have build your own figure type things or weapons,shields etc?
  • greekmickgreekmick UKMember Posts: 710
    No grab bags available at bluewater the other day. I asked and they just said none available today.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,584
    On Sunday MK had small grab bags with lots of minifig hair, hats and accessories. 3 squid. Couldn't resist getting one :)
  • legirllegirl Member Posts: 105
    ^ I picked one of those up too, didn't like it very much though, too many accessories and far too little hair in the one I got.

sorry I didn't make it up there on Sunday, maybe next time?
    @JDS - the store usually has a pretty good selection of PAB, damaged box sets, and store models. And from what others have written, a lot more minifigs than what other stores put in their grab bags.

It really varies though and fairly random.

This week was mostly selections from their PAB wall. Last week, the grab bags consisted of a SSD, Olivia's House, a Town Hall and a bunch of Ninjao sets.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    edited March 2012
    ^ What is the reason for disassembling such newly released sets (except for SSD)?
    edited March 2012
    They said the boxes from a previous shipment were damaged.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,914
    Ahhh... I see. Thanks.
  • JDSJDS Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply Toki, I'm looking forward to continuing to build my skeleton and evil knight armies. So I'll have to see what kind of fun stuff I can find there.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,584
    @legirl, no worries I'm sure we'll arrange a meet-up again in the future.
    I was quite happy with the contents of my grab bag, can never have too many mugs and brooms :)
  • kuwaharakuwahara Member Posts: 234
    ^ I got a couple of these and for £3 each was very pleased.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    Mission viejo is making bags from diagonal alley right now.
  • PohmPohm Member Posts: 17
    Nice, haven't seen any grab bags here in NZ :( There are some drawbacks to emigrating - not so much lego is one of them.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    At some stores you have to have good timing to find these. I was at the Mall of America store on Monday March 5th while they were filling the bags. Lots of Friends and Ninjago parts. I picked up 3 bags before I went to dinner. When I came back after dinner, the other 20-30 bags had disappeared. So timing is everything.
    @ludzik hmmmm, so I hit up Mission Viejo this morning and nothing. The guy said they took one apart last week.
    That's interesting, but let me guess: the guy you dealt with was a walking advertisement for a metal shop? (ok, maybe not that bad, but had couple piercings?) If so, I dealt with him before and he is useless. When I stopped by yesterday on my way from SD two girls helped me and they had the big box full of parts and they hooked me up with some nice grab bags and what I have and what was in the box matched what they told me: Diagon Alley. I even have a cauldron to prove it ;)
  • unbornchikkenunbornchikken Member Posts: 1
    I was at Mission Viejo too this morning when it opened and there weren't any grab bags available so perhaps someone else picked them up. I've found the service at MV to be pretty poor, which is a shame, since that's the one closest to me. I was in a rush and was hoping for a little clue or hint to find the Shamrock this morning, but got nothing, so walked out empty handed and frustrated (and a little late for work).
    The bald guy helped me and he's awesome. He went in the back and looked around and found one bag which I passed on. Mission Viejo has always been a good experience for me.

I know a few transfers from Anaheim at South Coast which always makes for great visit there. The other people are great as well. Manager is a bit reclusive but seems friendly enough.

Ontario is great too. The manager there is especially great -- girl with long blonde hair. I don't know who the head manager is for sure as I know there is another brunette girl. But the blonde one is exceptionally friendly and helpful for a manager.

FYI @unbornchikken Look in the Dino display ;)
    Anaheim, yesterday: got pieces of the Anakin Jedi Interceptor :)
  • leemcgleemcg Member Posts: 607
    I just picked up my first grab bags thanks to this thread. From Westfield Stratford.

It seems that I have lots of the most recent monthly model builds - 40037 and 40038. I bought three bags and have 11-16 hockey players and 5-12 worms in earth.

There are some really nice parts here, nothing particularly unique or valuable, but plenty in brownish red, tan, green: 1x2 plates, headlight bricks. Lots of 1x2 trans black tiles too, and lots of 4-6 white plate, which I seem to struggle to find on bricklink and end up ordering from online PaB.

I never would have considered grab-bags before (just presumed it was PaB spills) so thanks for the heads up.

Lee
    ^ @leemcg
    How many did they have available?
    How full where the bags?
    Any mini figs at all?