Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2019 Modular Rumours

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,848
    I agree with @Lyichir. A big selling point to me at least is the sheer amount of the building at a 45-degree angle, instead of just a doorway. It gives some nice angle variation in the modular facades. And it's so well incorporated! Seems quite sturdy. It may not be a favorite, but it has some wonderful qualities and I'll be picking it up at some point.
    I think that also some people are attributing aesthetic shortcomings to a lack of complexity. For example, a lot of what frustrates people with the crannies between the on- and off-grid walls is that there are brackets in non-matching colors showing in those spaces. But if the designers had the budget to recolor those parts to Dark Orange, would people still be complaining that those parts of the model look "3-in-1ish" or "Juniorish" (yes, believe it or not I've seen somebody state the latter)? In the very least, I doubt there'd be as much of that.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    In the recent interview with Jamie Berard, they talked about the notion of two modulars per year. The debate here shows an opportunity for LEGO: One "play" modular with the expressioned minifigs, like the Corner Garage depicts, with play uses etc., and another series which would focus less on play and more on exquisite architecture, with classic minifigs, perhaps. I don't mean real world landmarks like the Expert series, but minifig sized expressions of period and cultural architecture from around the world. I, at least, would dig both.
    Brickchap
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,311
    I'm not sure I would, as it would split what the modulars are into a "play" range and a "serious" range. Plus they can do nice architecture with play features. Personally, I see no reason to go back to the classic smiley head either. 
    AyliffeBumblepantsRogerKirkgmonkey76Baby_YodaAanchirstlux
  • mtpelepelemtpelepele Virginia, USAMember Posts: 22
    Lyichir said:
     It doesn't have the kind of gaudy ornamentation of this MOC, and frankly if it did it would be seriously inaccurate to the style of architecture being depicted.
    Looks more Gaudi than gaudy to me!
    LyichirAanchirandheRichmannn1
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,562
    In the recent interview with Jamie Berard, they talked about the notion of two modulars per year.
    I get the sense this would oversaturate the market.
    madforLEGOJern92
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    SumoLego said:
    In the recent interview with Jamie Berard, they talked about the notion of two modulars per year.

When has that stopped LEGO before?
    SumoLego
    pharmjod said:
    SumoLego said:
    Oversaturate the market with a less profitable product that would lead to the wholesale retirement of the expanded and original product line?
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Surely a modular building that specifically forsakes appearance for play would be equivalent to a really nice City set?
    oldtodd33
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,531
    edited December 2018
    SumoLego said:
    pharmjod said:
    SumoLego said:
    Oversaturate the market with a less profitable product that would lead to the wholesale retirement of the expanded and original product line?
    How about half over saturation? We get one full baseplate(32 x 32), and one half baseplate(16 x 32) Modular a year.
    FollowsCloselyOnebricktoomany
  • youtube_blockheadyoutube_blockhead yorkshire Member Posts: 49
    we have had some really high standard not quite modular but similar size, shape and spec sets in the past few years. both ninjago sets, the fisherman thing, ghost busters firehouse, although not strictly modulars they dont look out of place in a city layout or display

and that ghost house was great, i worry if they upped the output the quality would eventually decrease and we would end up with some genuinely oversized city/3in1 designs
    Besides the concern about oversaturating the market, I think LEGO might be a little hesitant to devote additional production slots to an AFOL-targeted set with such similar subject matter to the existing Modular Buildings, instead of using those production slots for other themes or Creator Expert subthemes.
    While other TFOL/AFOL-targeted builds certainly have had similar levels of complexity to the Modular Buildings, their existence has been justified in part by appealing to buyers who might not be drawn to the modular buildings by virtue of their building level alone.
    Like, I'm sure there are plenty of people who were excited about Joker Manor, Ninjago City, Firehouse Headquarters, Kwik-E-Mart, Temple of Airjitzu, Haunted House, or Arkham Asylum Breakout who don't care nearly as much about the Modular Buildings. Because for them, things like iconic pop culture settings, beloved pop culture characters, or particular genres like fantasy/sci-fi/horror might have more specific appeal than the concept of a vaguely nostalgic 20th century urban buildings. So releasing sets like that helps LEGO reach a broader range of teen and adult buyers than they'd get by using those same production slots on more Modular Buildings.
    Now, if LEGO did decide that they had both the resources and demand to release smaller Modular Buildings like Market Street again, that would be rad for sure. But I don't know if that's all that likely when they probably have more to gain from expanding the scope of their exclusives more generally than just expanding the scope of this one particular series of exclusives.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    How about TLG just releasing all their sets worldwide, instead of this regional nonsense (remember ultra agents with their N-American 'exclusive' sets, such as  #70173 and some others!). And yes one modular building a year is more than enough IMO! TLG releases more sets annually than pretty much any and everybody can afford to buy anyway, except for a few very wealthy lego fans who are OCD completist collectors.
    Anyway, I would love it if TLG released these in Europe as well:
    Or else a 2020 modular that incorporates and contains all bricks (printed ones too) from these two sets: a China-town/restaurant+apartment/condo modularbuilding!
    Anyone feel like starting a 2020 modular rumours thread?!?  ;-)
    BrickchapBaby_Yoda
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,383
    Aanchir said:
    Like, I'm sure there are plenty of people who were excited about Joker Manor, Ninjago City, Firehouse Headquarters, Kwik-E-Mart, Temple of Airjitzu, Haunted House, or Arkham Asylum Breakout who don't care nearly as much about the Modular Buildings.
    while I like the modulars, recently I've been more focused on sets such as the one you said and missed some modulars in favor of them.
    thedingman5
    I'm trying to have some self-control for #70620 Ninjago City but I'm eyeing a #10260 Downtown Diner for $90 off...
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 408
    Over 50% off and you didn't buy.  That is some self control
    MCNwakeboardAanchirReesesPiecesSumoLegomadforLEGOBaby_Yodasid3windr
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,383
    I didn't buy the destiny bounty at 55% off. but I already have it.
    SumoLego
    PapaBear said:
    Over 50% off and you didn't buy.  That is some self control
    Hahaha, not in Australia! (:
    BrickchapAstrobricksPolyphemus
    is anyone else having problems getting the garage door to close properly? mine opens smoothly but i mostly have to pull it down manually to close it,
    CaptainRogersSumoLego
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 779
    is anyone else having problems getting the garage door to close properly? mine opens smoothly but i mostly have to pull it down manually to close it,
    Oh man, the modular you got to open and build early while the rest of us need to wait for the official release date might have a small problem? I can totally sympathize, man. ;p
    SumoLegoPitfall69piratemania7Craig_B
    Wait what?

These TLM2 CMFs are really slipperly.  It's a bother, really.
    CaptainRogersPitfall69piratemania7
    edited December 2018
    SumoLego said:
    Wait what?

These TLM2 CMFs are really slipperly.  It's a bother, really.
    I can definitely help with that, if you want. I'll even do it for free! (I'm such a nice guy) Just send em my way. Along with the new Speed Champions and 2019 Star Wars sets.
    SumoLegopiratemania7
    i apologise sumolego and captainrogers for any ambiguity, i do not have the new modular, but i am making my own version with my spare parts, even watching the speed build for hints

there is something fiddly with closing the garage 
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaCaptainRogers
    (We're just giving you a hard time.)
    Baby_Yoda
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 635
    Wow quite the project to make your own version without even the directions yet to go on.  Nice!
    Baby_YodaBrickchap
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    SumoLego said:
    (We're just giving you a hard time.)
    As is that garage door I reckon.
    sid3windrSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    edited December 2018
    @youtube_blockhead yup, just being cheeky. No harm, no foul. Building your own is quite the endeavor!
    SumoLego
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    If I tried building the Garage from spare parts and screen shots/speed build videos; it would end up looking like Market Street...
    Bumblepants560HeliportSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,311
    ... so looking like something that isn't a modular?

Pitfall69
    CCC said:
    ... so looking like something that isn't a modular?

...yeah, that and what it would look like if I threw up on a baseplate.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,802
    But still if you got the pins in the right place!
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,802
    If a thousand monkeys threw up on a thousand baseplates...
  • BiggiSnibbiBiggBiggiSnibbiBigg GreenlandMember Posts: 31
    The corner garage is $ 250 in Norway. Expensive for a 3-in-1.
    #SMC #CCC #Pitfall69 i came in to modulars at the pet shop, so i am curious... did peoples disregard for Market Street grow over time or was it disliked from its release? it is over a decade old so has it aged badly? or was it always mocked (no pun intended) with a sense of affection? i think if i saw it in 2007 i would have been impressed, if i built it after PR I would have been disappointed 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,756
    #SMC #CCC #Pitfall69 i came in to modulars at the pet shop, so i am curious... did peoples disregard for Market Street grow over time or was it disliked from its release? it is over a decade old so has it aged badly? or was it always mocked (no pun intended) with a sense of affection? i think if i saw it in 2007 i would have been impressed, if i built it after PR I would have been disappointed 
    The special character you’re looking for @youtube_blockhead is @. # is for set numbers.
    youtube_blockheadgmonkey76
    I’m just grateful to have another modular. For a little while I was getting a little bit of an antsy feel that this might be it, alas, TLG came through.
    SumoLegowardm
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 154
    andhe said:
    On a corner modular related note, has anyone, or have you ever seen a modular that's been built 'mirrored' to fit someones layout better? Just wondering if it is possible with any of the modulars though most interested in the Diner.
    I built PR mirrored for my space. It was a fun challenge to get my brain to work that way.
    @Astrobricks thanks, yep the moment i pressed post i realised what i done, im turning into my dad when it comes to technology 
    560HeliportAstrobricks
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,531
    @youtube_blockhead I think most of the dislike is that MS was designed by a fan, and not released under whatever they were calling Modulars at the time. That and up until DD it was the only one without the classic smiley face. It could also be argued that it's not a good design, but that's open to your preference.
    BrickchapAstrobricksBrainslugged
    Oh my!! Did I inadvertently spark another Market Street bashing...ahem...debate? Hmmmm? ;)

Yes "#" is usually reserved for sets. You can "#" me all you want, but I'm not budging on my disdain for MS!!!
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenman
    Pitfall69 said:
    Oh my!! Did I inadvertently spark another Market Street bashing...ahem...debate? Hmmmm? ;)

Yes "#" is usually reserved for sets. You can "#" me all you want, but I'm not budging on my disdain for MS!!!
    From now on, #Pitfall69 is shorthand for trashing MS :)
    BrickchapmsandersSumoLego
    @Astrobricks thanks, yep the moment i pressed post i realised what i done, im turning into my dad when it comes to technology 
    Another reminder, just in case you didn’t realize, you can edit your comment for six minutes after posting it. 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,105
    #SMC #CCC #Pitfall69 i came in to modulars at the pet shop, so i am curious... did peoples disregard for Market Street grow over time or was it disliked from its release? it is over a decade old so has it aged badly? or was it always mocked (no pun intended) with a sense of affection? i think if i saw it in 2007 i would have been impressed
    I came out of my dark ages in 2011 or so so while Fire Brigade was on sale. I knew I had to get the prior modulars, but took one look at Market Street (design, box, piece count) and instantly said to myself "That's no modular". Regardless of whether it is or isn't officially, I have zero interest in owning it.
    Pitfall69Paperballparkcguglielmi
    edited December 2018
    I feel the need to post a Questlove meme.  #STFU.

Nonetheless, I see one cross word about Star Justice or Space Skulls, I will friction-pin all ya'll back to Fabuland.
    ^Questlove was on at least one "Yo Gabba Gabba" episode. My kids loved that show. 
    SumoLego
    @Aanchir (the @ was just for you astrobricks x) interesting to read that it was designed by a dutchman, it (to me anyway) is reminiscent of a Amsterdam canal boat house, but then to me the first few do seem very dutch. 

i think all modulars will receive some negative feedback on release but (and maybe this is just me) but they all age pretty well, some are defo growers

who could find fault with FB? 

i have read some criticism for modulars even more picky than my view on CG blue door use.  i remember reading one for the beautiful AS saying that the baseplate for the dentists were too visible and should match the brick work colour. no design will ever please everyone all of the time

id edge for a re release of MS over GG - dont hate me for that afols 
    Baby_Yoda

who could find fault with FB?
    You might be surprised! One of the big complaints about it early on was specifically about it looking too American-styled (up to and including an American flag) compared to the previous three buildings, having only two stories instead of three, "not looking modular", the tree looking bad, certain part choices looking too basic, the interior being too empty/not innovative enough, the ground floor being too tall compared to previous buildings, etc. Of course, the Green Grocer was San Francisco inspired, but I guess was "close enough" to a European building for those who preferred to imagine their modular streets being European towns.
    One complaint that is particuarly funny in hindsight includes this complaint that the old timey fire truck has "has firmly cemented the time period this building exists in. One of the charms of the previous building is that they could be in any era." Nowadays, a more common complaint is that any set that DOESN'T belong to the 1930s time period suggested by that fire truck is fundamentally out-of-place with the series as a whole. Another that is pretty amusing in hindsight is this complaint about the American-style design, which concludes "...if they wanted to go with something with an American look...why not a classic diner?" Or this one, from someone who "Was hoping for a corner designe here with atleast 2 garagePorts and a heli pad on the roof. This was a kick in the nuts :/ Well... Have to change some plans, and put the street back to the 1930s instead of the 20th century." Hard to imagine AFOLs today complaining about a lack of a heliport!
    Of course, with time those negative first impressions faded and it became one of the most beloved buildings in the entire series. So I guess sometimes it's better to defy expectations than to adhere rigidly to them, even if it means a negative reception in the beginning.
    Lyichirstluxgmonkey76TkattBaby_Yoda
    thats a valid expectation, fires are always put out by helicopters, especially fires in the 1930s
    Astrobricksgmonkey76
    Have we had a 2020 thread open or at least an idea of what the release would be?
    Brickchap