Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

2019 Modular Rumours

Comments

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,859
    MrJackson said:
    pharmjod said:

Or sand red... 
    I could not agree more with this.  Sand Red is one of my favorite Lego colors, made hard to work with due to the limited number of elements made in that color. I also don't understand the reluctance to include the sand green grooved 1x2 in literally any other set besides the Grocer....
    Maybe it’s a matter of prioritizing new and/or essential recolors over bringing back old ones?

I have to admit, I hardly ever think about how long a particular part color has been retired or what the BrickLink price is except when I’m ordering parts, and often wouldn’t even realize a part in a new set had been absent from sets for a long time unless somebody brought it up.

But seeing a recolor I don’t remember EVER seeing in sets or MOCs before tends to get me much more excited. So it’s possible that when designers want to throw parts into a set for fanservice reasons, they prefer those kinds of parts that will excite and surprise everyone, not just people who have been keenly watching a particular older part’s price on BrickLink.

That said, there could also be other reasons. It’s also possible that however many of that 1x2 with groove mold LEGO actually has in their factories are already in use pretty much full-time stamping out neutral colors like white and grey for City and Star Wars sets, and more whimsical colors for Minecraft animals, and there aren’t a lot of opportunities for recolors that aren’t essential for a particular subject.

Additionally, since the masonry brick didn’t exist when Green Grocer and Pet Shop came out, maybe it’s now being used in a lot of the sorts of decorative applications that the brick with groove and the grille brick were often preferred for before its introduction.
    LyichirpharmjodBaby_Yodastluxsid3windr
  • FergH0vaFergH0va JerseyMember Posts: 13
    Aanchir said:
    Additionally, since the masonry brick didn’t exist when Green Grocer and Pet Shop came out, maybe it’s now being used in a lot of the sorts of decorative applications that the brick with groove and the grille brick were often preferred for before its introduction.
    This seems reasonable and logical to me. I very much prefer the masonry bricks over the others.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 373
    For certain uses, I do too, but I've also seen people BL the GG and sub the grooved bricks with brick bricks and I don't think the look works well at all. You have to be careful with those brick bricks as it can start to look artificial. Somehow it works in the Detectives Office.
    sid3windr
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,904
    edited December 2018
    Aanchir said:

This is a very fair point. I still have to think designers enjoy bringing back an older now expensive piece when they can just to throw AFOLs a special bone here and there :) that said, if we didn't get a sand green 1x8 in the ocean monument swt, I dont know when we ever will.
    Baby_Yodasid3windr
    Wouldn't 1x2s and 1x4s and 1x6s work just as well?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,613
    FergH0va said:
    I love the sand colors. I've only ever seen pictures of sand red. I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it somewhere. I hope to have some some day.
    Sand Purple will blow your mind...
    sid3windr
    Holy hanna! I thought you were just messing with me!
    Paperballparksid3windrRogerKirkBaby_Yoda
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    FergH0va said:
    I love the sand colors. I've only ever seen pictures of sand red. I didn't even know it existed until I stumbled upon it somewhere. I hope to have some some day.
    That's insane!!! Or, you are so sane that you just blew my mind. My head is spinning like a top and my world is crashing down all around me.

FergH0va said:
    Wouldn't 1x2s and 1x4s and 1x6s work just as well?
    I think the point is that people who want to BL a replica of GG want the EXACT pieces that came with the set.
    pharmjodgmonkey76
    Pitfall69 said:
    FergH0va said:
    That's insane!!! Or, you are so sane that you just blew my mind. My head is spinning like a top and my world is crashing down all around me.
    You mean you didn't know about Sand Purple either?!
    If Sand Purple/Sand Violet is a surprise to people, just wait until you see color 146 Metallic Sand Violet!
    …OK, it might not look like much considering there were only like one or two highly specialized parts that were ever made in that color, but STILL!
    In general, I think a lot of people don't realize how many well-known and less well-known colors are officially described as "sand" colors. BrickLink's "Dark Tan" is 138 Sand Yellow, BrickLink's "Flat Dark Gold" is 147 Metallic Sand Yellow, and BrickLink's "Metal Blue" is (usually) 145 Metallic Sand Blue.
    But alas, the only sand colors that were able to stand the test of time and make it onto the current color palette are Sand Yellow, Sand Green, and Sand Blue…
    TheBigLegoski
    There's also been an official Lego colour called 'Curry'...
    omniumAanchirTheBigLegoski
    Is that color included in the Taj Mahal? 
    youtube_blockheadgmonkey76Craig_BBaby_YodaBrickchapGothamConstructionCoCM4S
    Pitfall69 said:
    Is that color included in the Taj Mahal? 
    Only if you keep it in direct sunlight for five years.
    Lucky for me I have experience in restoring the bricks ;)
    piratemania7gmonkey76
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,416
    Ooh wow look at this delicious colour: caramel-chocolate-marble-BASF Lego brick!
    Beautiful!
    Imagine if Lego actually produced an entire range of bricks in that and other marble colours (white marble, and granite black), or imagine blue opal bricks (not exactly one colour, rather a compound range of certain colours that in some cases may next to various shades of blue also contain turquoise/green, and even pink/magenta etc.).
    Always felt #7985 (city of Atlantis) would have looked even more fantastic if it had a marble white facade, and columns.
    Imagine a Lego modular with a classical renaissance or neoclassical architecture style (such as brick bank) with marble bricks. I think that would look really awesome.
    ---
    Thanks for posting that eye-candy flickr link
    ---
    ps.
    Can't help it but 'sand green' to me is just such a strange reference. I know (real) sand comes in lots of different colours, and there are people out there who collect phials with it from all over the world, but I always have a little hard time associating that particular Lego colour with actual sand, even though I know (marine)sediment, clay, and sandstone can have that colour.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    ^ While it'd be amazing if it could happen, official marbled bricks would be a nightmare for quality control...
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 479
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ^ While it'd be amazing if it could happen, official marbled bricks would be a nightmare for quality control...
    Do you mean quality control from a color perspective or plastic quality perspective?
    I'm not sure about plastic quality, but the colours of the marbled brick would be wildly inconsistent (as marbled bricks generally are). They'd be no good for building together unless you were trying to create a zany, colourful effect. It'd also be aesthetically unappealing in a large amount such as walls since each brick would be very distinct from the others visually.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    l don't like how Dr Jones doesn't live in the appt above his office, so in my mind him and the guy are a gay couple that adopted the girl
    daewoowardmBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 274
    The lower garage is too empty for me. A shop or garage is always full of equipment. 
    BrickchapBumblepantsFollowsCloselygmonkey76TheBigLegoskiBrainslugged
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I'm not sure about plastic quality, but the colours of the marbled brick would be wildly inconsistent (as marbled bricks generally are). They'd be no good for building together unless you were trying to create a zany, colourful effect. It'd also be aesthetically unappealing in a large amount such as walls since each brick would be very distinct from the others visually.
    LEGO has done marbled colors to great effect in the past with some Bionicle parts and other character/creature oriented molds, though. One System example I remember being really exciting for a lot of people was the octopus from #8636, in a blend of Transparent Light Blue and Phosphorescent Green. The dragon wings from the Vikings, Castle, and Elves themes are another example that goes back a long way and is still fairly common in current/recent sets.

But yeah, even the slight marbling that's inherent to a lot of LEGO's metallic plastics can be pretty divisive in any context that's intended to look more geometric than organic. So I wouldn't expect to see much of that in standard bricks, certainly not as the main color for a model.

I know Mega Bloks/Construx managed to create somewhat decent looking marbled bricks to add camo patterns to some of their Halo and Call of Duty sets, but then, they don't really have as much of a reputation for smooth, consistent colors as LEGO in the first place. It's a tough battle to create color variations that look random or uneven that people won't associate with inconsistent quality control. I was just saying earlier in a Facebook thread that I suspect that's part of the reason LEGO dropped their Light Stone Grey/Very Light Bluish Gray color that was one of the main colors for their Mindstorms NXT sets… considering how many people who didn't realize at first that it wasn't "LEGO white", a lot of those who did notice might have mistaken it for a quality defect rather than its own discrete color.
    Lyichir
  • sihylandssihylands Northern IrelandMember Posts: 7
    I like the concept, not the colour.  That's all.  I think I'll be substituting orange bricks for tan :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,482
    Aanchir said:

But yeah, even the slight marbling that's inherent to a lot of LEGO's metallic plastics can be pretty divisive in any context that's intended to look more geometric than organic. So I wouldn't expect to see much of that in standard bricks, certainly not as the main color for a model.

I know Mega Bloks/Construx managed to create somewhat decent looking marbled bricks to add camo patterns to some of their Halo and Call of Duty sets, but then, they don't really have as much of a reputation for smooth, consistent colors as LEGO in the first place. It's a tough battle to create color variations that look random or uneven that people won't associate with inconsistent quality control. I was just saying earlier in a Facebook thread that I suspect that's part of the reason LEGO dropped their Light Stone Grey/Very Light Bluish Gray color that was one of the main colors for their Mindstorms NXT sets… considering how many people who didn't realize at first that it wasn't "LEGO white", a lot of those who did notice might have mistaken it for a quality defect rather than its own discrete color.
    If 2x1 bricks were marbled, I think they'd look fine. They are meant to be organic and there is meant to be inconsistent patterns that do not join up at edges of bricks. Just like what happens in real life. I doubt they would do it unless they did a European style church / cathedral though. And even then, they'd probably go with white or tan.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,672
    I'm so confused. What is everyone arguing about?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,818
    What is everyone arguing about?
    Why is everyone arguing about?
    Muftak1Baby_YodaPitfall69FowlerBricks
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 509
    SumoLego said:
    Where is everyone arguing about?
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaPitfall69FowlerBricks
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 769
    Muftak1 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Who is everyone arguing about?
    Muftak1SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 509
    jmeninno said:
    Muftak1 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Who is everyone arguing about?
    Gamora Zen Whoberi Ben Titan
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaPitfall69FowlerBricks
    I'm happy we're back to nonsense.
    CM4SdavetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCoPitfall69sonsofscevawardm
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 257
    TL:DR
    Whateva! I do not concur.
    madejp86 said:
    The lower garage is too empty for me. A shop or garage is always full of equipment. 
    .....and has walls littered with nude centrefolds, and other car related paraphernalia and regalia.
    gmonkey76andhe560Heliport
    And a toilet, generally, although that can be said of most buildings.
    TheBigLegoskiAanchir
    Baby_Yoda said:
    And a toilet, generally, although that can be said of most buildings.
    This is a garage, so easy to add your own toilet:

560HeliportAanchirBaby_Yodayoutube_blockhead
    Oi!
    Do your minifigs still dwell in the nineteenth century, where one of them is employed to come and collect with a hand- or dog-cart from door to door lots of buckets filled with piss and shit from all your other minifigs on a daily basis?
    Unless of course your minifigs, like Sumo's, magically meditate their fictional bodily excrements away:
    'Just think little Timmy. Think hard of, of, uhmmmm ... floating pink elephants, and, and, and, stuff and voila.... be gone you stinky bodily nuisances. Now lets visit #60150 #10185 #10243 #10255 #10260 #70657 etc. again.'
    Because all these minifigs seem mostly preoccupied with is; stuffing themselves with: popsicles, bananas, apples, plums/cherries, cookies, pizza, sausages, sushi, pies, giant 4scoop ice-cream cones, as well as occasionally a humongous cooked and crispy roasted succulent piece of poultry more massive than these little yellow bricky buggers themselves.

Yes they really do have a restroom crisis, as well as a chronic toilet-paper shortage.    
    Baby_Yoda
    ^ Stick a sausage in it.

:-/
    SumoLego said:
    I'm happy we're back to nonsense.
    Weeee... haaaaddddddd...tooooooo
  • youtube_blockheadyoutube_blockhead yorkshire Member Posts: 49
    madejp86 said:
    .....and has walls littered with nude centrefolds, and other car related paraphernalia and regalia.
    and some middle class middle aged women being massively overcharged

TheBigLegoski
    ... look, the dorsal phlangpin needs a complete overhaul.  And the Johnson rod is simply too worn to pass inspection.  But once the pistons are rotated and repeating header codermounts are cleaned, it'll run smoothly...
    youtube_blockheadPitfall69Pyrobugbgl_84gmonkey76bandit778Bumblepants560HeliportTheBigLegoski
    ^Hopefully Tony doesn't take your car for a test drive.
    SumoLego
    Pitfall69 said:
    I'd better move my golf clubs.
    Pitfall69
    edited December 2018
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    I'd better move my golf clubs.
    The fact that I used to live in NY and now live in Michigan, ties all of this nonsense together :)
    SumoLego
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 108
    Just to throw some more fire on the "Creator Expert vs City" debate...
    Here's a few modulars designed by Giacinto Consiglio. Just looking at them they seem like complex, imposing, advanced models. I feel that CC, GG, and AS exemplified the same feeling. Compare this with the CG...

FowlerBricksBOBJACK_JACKBOBmsandersTheBigLegoskitamamahmOnebricktoomanyMooreFXherekittykittyRichmannn1
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 108
    Lyichir said:
    shikadi said:
    Just to throw some more fire on the "Creator Expert vs City" debate...
    Here's a few modulars designed by Giacinto Consiglio. Just looking at them they seem like complex, imposing, advanced models. I feel that CC, GG, and AS exemplified the same feeling. Compare this with the CG...

There's a difference between an advanced build and an excessively detailed aesthetic. The Corner Garage's complexity lies in aspects like the angled wall, SNOTted windows, and functions like the lift and garage door. It doesn't have the kind of gaudy ornamentation of this MOC, and frankly if it did it would be seriously inaccurate to the style of architecture being depicted.
    Fair enough. Maybe what I'm wishing for is a different style of architecture? Can't please everyone
    youtube_blockheadFollowsCloselyBOBJACK_JACKBOBpharmjodBumblepantsTheBigLegoskiOnebricktoomanyRichmannn1
  • guachiguachi GeorgiaMember Posts: 14
    I give Lego credit for naming it Jo's Garage. Jo is a quintessentially mid-20th century name for a female in the US. Peak year of popularity, 1947. And it was a top 100 name from 1933 to 1958.
    sid3windrAanchirpharmjod
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 67
    Thousandth comment! By the way, the modular is looking alright, but it doesn’t make me want to buy it.