Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Benefits of the Exclusive Millennium Falcon VIP Card

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,796
    It seems like a pretty slick move. Black card owners get something unique and actually exclusive and those without aren't angry that some film character fig is unobtainable to them. 
    datsunrobbie
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 2,019
    ^ Yeah I thought this was what we were asking for the whole time but it seems some people are still not happy.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,001
    bandit778 said:

...duped into paying full RRP for a £650 LEGO set.   :)
    ...Not if it was the first time you'd ever spent your VIP points in earnest - for a reduction comparable to some Black Friday deals over a year later! I knew it was worth saving those loyalty points as long as I could. And I didn't buy myself any other Lego for months after the MF.

I think to be fair that some afols overstate the cost comparatively - UCS MF owners sometimes (ok ALL the time) get berated for "spending £650 on a single toy" (if it was full RRP) but buy a couple of other large scale Technic sets or Creator Expert and you'd get there very easily. It's the single transaction that seems to irk some people.

Going to hold back on making any purchases this coming week so I can get the Black VIP reward if these blurry photos are true - I'll likely have to get the Kessel Mine Worker elsewhere.
    You were able to spend your VIP points on anything Lego, so it's not like you got a discounted MF when no one else did. You paid the same as everyone else  except part of your payment was in a different form which made the price easier to swallow.

I was happy to pay £650 on the understanding that the black card benefits would be worthwhile and significant. If i'd known upfront what was coming our way, i'd have waited until the inevitable reductions in Smyths. I think that's a sentiment most of us here who bought full price in 2017 share.

If I had a stack of VIP points to cash in or a £100 gift voucher to use, I'd still consider the purchase as £650 spent.
    Astrobrickspharmjod
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,603
    The free minifig doesn't necessarily make up for the lack of promos all year, but I do think it is the perfect sort of freebie to keep everyone happy. The torso print is specifically relevant only to black card holders so won't piss off non-holders. Plus it must have cost almost nothing for Lego to produce - especially if we have to make an additional purchase (and shipping) just to get hold of it.

I can't imagine the pic of the minifig is the final version. I guess he will be all black. At the moment, with his yellow hands, he looks like he's wearing a gimp mask. 
    MachONEgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    The free minifig doesn't necessarily make up for the lack of promos all year, but I do think it is the perfect sort of freebie to keep everyone happy. The torso print is specifically relevant only to black card holders so won't piss off non-holders. Plus it must have cost almost nothing for Lego to produce - especially if we have to make an additional purchase (and shipping) just to get hold of it.

I can't imagine the pic of the minifig is the final version. I guess he will be all black. At the moment, with his yellow hands, he looks like he's wearing a gimp mask. 
    There’s a photo?
    ^ A blurry one on Promobricks.
    I wonder if the minifig will have double sided printing on the head? One side is happy at the expectation of a year of promos to come, the other side has a pissed off expression at what has materialised over the past year.
    LegoTTBrainsluggedkbwgmonkey76AstrobricksMr_CrossAyliffe560HeliportRainstorm26
  • LegoTTLegoTT Member Posts: 483
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction- I’m excited!  It’s neat that they’ll have a little stand for the card, but I think I’ll use mine instead :)
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,791
    SMC said:
    ^ Yeah I thought this was what we were asking for the whole time but it seems some people are still not happy.
    Even if this were a great promotion, somebody will always be unhappy.

'George Lucas should deliver my UCS MF in a real Landspeeder with a hand-written apology letter for Jar-Jar Binks!'
    iso3200gmonkey76SprinkleOtterAstrobricksomniumdrdavewatfordBaby_Yodastarwars4everbrickventures
    SMC said:
    I was hoping for a boost to the figure line-up, like Lando and Nien Nunb (plus Endor Trooper) for attack on the second Death Star occupants  of the MF. TLG seem to have no bother knocking these exclusive figs out for Comic Con. It would tie in with the MF so well. It's easy to get an Ep IV line-up from other sets, nothing exclusive there.
    gmonkey76omnium

Was this fig and holder the plan all along, or TLG deciding "we've a lot of miffed customers who are willing to spend a lot of money on a set, we need to do something and quick", then knocking this up? That's if it proves to be genuine. Haven't received an email yet, and the 1st of Dec is 2/3 through.
    gmonkey76omnium
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    SMC said:
    Well it’s not quite SW themed, is it?

gmonkey76Mr_Cross
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 514
    It would be a lot nicer if this holder was just completely free, as in you just walk into the store and show your black VIP card and they hand you the set, though they’d have to have some sort of tracking so people don’t try to double up. For people that don’t have a store they would have to offer the option to get it online but that might be cost prohibitive with shipping. In general though, I think this would be a good way to start making up for the lackluster promos.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,651
    I'm not forgiving, or forgetting how LEGO handed this. LEGO knows who was stupid enough to buy it for the black card, and they should just send one out to the people on the list with no other purchase. A set like that could of been in stock from the beginning, and handed out or shipped when you bought the MilF in the black card time period.
    Mr_Crossomniummonkeyhangerpharmjod
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,410
    I was already unhappy and very little was going to change that. Certainly not a pretty uninteresting figure with a tenuous link to the promotion that has been so disappointing from the outset.

As an opener I'd have been delighted with this, but it feels like we'll be extremely lucky if this is not closing out the promotion.
    If there is more to come then I'll revise my opinion but I feel like they really, really needed to do better than this at this stage of the game!

If they're promising to extend the duration of the promotion then this is okay, but it's only okay, it's not in the same league as the things that get offered to comic convention attendees...

It would be unwise to expect anything more, I feel pretty badly burned by this LEGO Star Wars promotion, and so I will remain cautiously pessimistic and underwhelmed, certainly for the forseeable future.
    omniummonkeyhangergmonkey76
    The real problem with this is they went silent from May until December (Assuming this pans out). Over half the year of 'throughout the year' with nothing happening is really sloppy. 

omniumgmonkey76The_Rancor
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 575
    mustang69 said:
    It would be a lot nicer if this holder was just completely free, as in you just walk into the store and show your black VIP card and they hand you the set, though they’d have to have some sort of tracking so people don’t try to double up.
    the issue here would be distribution of sets to ensure everyone was able to get one. my local store is brighton, but i could feasibly go to either of the london stores to pick this up. Unless you over produce his so every store has enough, then there could always be someone that will miss out.

quite honestly, the best thing lego could do is post one out to every registered black card address, because this will most likely be a free with £55 star wars purchase (or something ridiculous) and let's face it... most of us have all the star wars sets we want this year!
    omniumsid3windr
    obi_g said:
    ...and let's face it... most of us have all the star wars sets we want this year!
    I was thinking the same thing, but at least this promo will be running to Jan 31st so some new sets will be out.

It seems needlessly tight to start the VIP promo the day after the free Kessel Mine Worker promo ends though.
    Mr_Cross
    I don't think I want anything else SW related until the next UCS, which i'm presuming will be out for May 4th. If it's over £200 then I will try to wait for Smyths to stock it long enough to offer a discount unless there's an amazing May 4th Promo (not a rumoured or promised for the future, but an actual one). I don't think i'll be wanting to jump on getting the "Platinum Empire VIP Card" for buying a £500 ISD before 31st July if Lego try and pull this again!

Hopefully this freebie will just cost me any SW purchase (like a keyring) and cop for the postage on it. I presume that it will be [email protected] purchase only so that we don't have any excess stock held by Lego shops.
    Mr_Crossklinton
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    I don‘t know,but i feel the „leak“for this Promo is fake! The Pic is blurry (why?) and it could easily something somebody built with his own bricks! The rumours were that we would be getting a E-Mail on the 1.of Dec.but nothing happened,so i‘m calling out Hoax!
    Bumblepantssid3windr
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,665
    It does seem a little odd now that the date in the apparent leak has passed by with no news. However, plans change so it could still be real but they've shifted some of the timelines.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    It does seem a little odd now that the date in the apparent leak has passed by with no news. However, plans change so it could still be real but they've shifted some of the timelines.
    I may be totally wrong here,but it seems rather fishy that last week on one day a person on another german AFOL board says something along the line “at a Lego store a employee told me a Black VIP Card Promo will come in Dec.with a small Set to hold your VIP card“ and few days later a blurry pic shows up! So either the News is completely fake,or the Pic is fake!
    Fake! Fake! Fake!
    If it is a fake it is a magnificent troll by whoever conceived it.
    omniumMr_CrossSumoLego
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,055
    I spoke to a reliable source a few weeks ago and she said another promotion was coming soon.

After Black Friday came and went with no Black Card promos or specials I wrote to LEGO CS to express my views on the whole thing. 

They sent a nice reply, which doesn’t need posting here in full, but they confirmed another promotion would happen by the end of the year.

So cross reference that with the Promobricks article, and I think the stand is what we’ll be getting.
    omniumBumblepantsBaby_YodaMr_CrossSumoLegoFireheart
    I'm inclined to believe this is real. It is exactly the sort of thing I totally don't need but obviously must have, even though I think it's a bit of a poor show.

Although, the absence of any official email does make me wonder if it could be fake.

What harm would it now do TLG to actually announce their intentions to the fans who were good enough to pay them huge sums of money? If they promised even three more promotions and outlined what they would be (if not showing pictures), that might redress the balance. Furthermore, by allowing me to budget and/or save for each it would actually help restore some lost faith.
    I think it's real, if you're going to hoax, why not post a more impressive freebie?
    The_RancorBrainsluggedBaby_Yoda
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,665
    ^ True - if they wanted to be a REAL troll they would've photoshopped an exclusive Star Wars character into it to make the non-VIP holders kick right off!
    Baby_Yoda
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 995
    Don't know what's worse.....TLG MilF promotion or those who cry over spilled milk.
    Crying into spilled milk only dilutes it for the feral carts.
    SprinkleOtter
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Not sure what salty milk has to do with rabid trolleys...
    bandit778Astrobricks560Heliportdmcc0
  • KerreKerre In a bar, under the sea.Member Posts: 411
    Well, it's live now:

AstrobricksomniumMr_Cross
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,027
    edited December 2018
    ^Wow, that's a harsh USD/EUR conversion rate. For once the Euzonians don't get shafted... Or did I miss another crazy US trade policy announcement?
    AstrobricksBaby_Yodastarwars4ever
  • cpsdkcpsdk denmarkMember Posts: 13
    You can get 99!! that seems strange
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,027
    edited December 2018
    I’m not sure either page is really supposed to be live, especially the Euro one. Anyone try ordering it?
    Did anyone get an email announcement for it yet or did it just get discovered?
    edited December 2018
    Oooh, let's order 99 and when they get cancelled complain EVEN MORE!

Edit: Nah, says limit exceeded when trying to add more than one. 
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtter
    No mail. I just stumbled upon it when looking up RRPs of the City and SW Advent calendars to illustrate the ridiculous price differences between [email protected] and Amazon to my wife. Guess we'll get a mail end of the week or so. Or some of us will.
  • cpsdkcpsdk denmarkMember Posts: 13
    It just acccepted a order on 99!! let see if its is going to ship
    KerreBrickByBrickLobotstarwars4ever
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 856
    I've got two in the basket. Just wondering If to go ahead with the order and see what's going to happen.
    edited December 2018
    cpsdk said:
    It just acccepted a order on 99!! let see if its is going to ship
    You were correct, I was utterly wrong.

Maracas indeed, Mexican cultural appropriation minifig! 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,569
    I got the limit of 5 Star Wars gift sets plus the 99.00 spend amount and the free Christmas carousel added too. 
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 307
    Omg this is really getting ridiculous.
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Limit is 5 in the US and they’re $4.99 each. What a ripoff. It’s not even free! Granted I wasn’t signed in, but I doubt that would make a difference. Worst part is it’s available to everyone and not just black card members. Immensely disappointed. 
    I just experimented with an order of 10 using VIP points... seemed to go through ok. We'll see if it gets cancelled.
    Kerre
  • bulbathorbulbathor UKMember Posts: 47
    I could add one to my bag, and I’m not a black VIP card holder - didn’t order one because the yellow hands freak me out a bit. Never thought lego would do an S&M figure...
    BrainsluggedBaby_Yoda
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 698
    contemplating if it's worth spending $35 to get one with free shipping
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,633
    edited December 2018
    I know you shouldn't laugh about it, but it would be funny if LEGO screwed this up and the "exclusive" minifigure was not very exclusive and sold for 1p to everyone and there wasn't enough of them to go around for the black card holders. Face-palms all around.
    sid3windr