Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Hanging a UCS super star destroyer from ceiling

AV_GuyAV_Guy ChicagoMember Posts: 7
Greetings all.  Long time reader, first time poster.

So long story short, my parents made me clean out all my legos out of their garage.  That =, me a middle aged man spending a week of long nights putting them back together again!  (much to my wife's satisfaction :/ ) lol

So that week totally got me all pumped up again, and i've been having the time of my life!  (also to my wife's extreme dis-satisfaction lol)  

But its ok, luckily i invested in a very comfortable couch about a year ago   :P

So my question.  I just stumbled upon a great find at a garage sale.  Was able to pick up super star destroyer, and blockade runner, with boxes for $200 bucks.  After i found out what i got, i almost feel bad talking the lady down from $400 lol  :/

So im envisioning, a nice big star battle hanging from my office ceiling, (also since the star destroyer is so damn big, and for some reason my wife wont let it live on the dinning room table)  Some people!

Has anyone here hung either of those models from the ceiling?  im thinking fishing line wrapped around said unit, with an eye hook screwed into a joist.

But since the star destroyer is so big, i have no idea if it can be supported that way.  I have held off starting to build it, because i still need a home for it.  

Thank you in advance all!

Muftak1BumblepantsAddicted2Oxygen

Comments

• Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    "legos" aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!
    Baby_Yodaomnium
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 942
    Have you thought about playing......

Image result for monopoly for millennials
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,082
    AV_Guy said:
    me a middle aged man
    Riiiight, a millennial for sure...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    Seen a lot of wall mount ideas in the past but not sure about suspending it. I guess it really depends on your ceiling and its ability to hold weight. 
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    I would think that, over time, with a model that large and heavy, you'd also get a lot of "sag", with the whole model bending down in the middle. You'd need a fair amount of well-distributed support to off-set it.
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 62
    I haven’t tried it but I have heard that fishing line in particular can cut through the bricks over the course of a few years. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,171
    I haven’t tried it either, but I’d worry about fishing line breaking if holding a lot of weight for a long time.

By the way, which sets are we actually talking about? #10019 and #10030, or #10221?
  • AV_GuyAV_Guy ChicagoMember Posts: 7
    Thank you for the insight guys.  The sets are 10019 and 10221 (Not sure how you did that swanky linking)

I didnt realize fishing line could cause damage, the last thing i want is to damage my find.  And i refuse to kragle it.

But i just think it would be awesome to see these creations floating around in my office.  Especially once i add in a dozen tie fighters x-wings etc.  

Thanks again!
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 723
    To link to a set, just put the pound sign in front of it: #10019 for example.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    edited November 2018
    AV_Guy said:
    The sets are #10019 and #10221
    To be honest, I'm not sure #10221 would be at it's best hanging up. The view from the top and sides are great but once you get past the engines of the ship, the underside of the build is remarkably flat and plain.
    Astrobricksdrdavewatfordgmonkey76
    Thank you Heliport, and good point bandit, didnt think about that.  Unless its banking on the side wall chasing those pesky rebels!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,497
    I would keep this guy away from it.

gmonkey76omniumLittleLori
    LOL