Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

EXPIRED: [US] Walmart: clearance, 50% Off

Comments

• pvancil27pvancil27 Member Posts: 588
    Still waiting to my WM's to mark down the big 3 SW sets (Clone Tank, Falcon and Reb Frigate)

I missed out on a Clone tank at one of them because of a forgotten wallet =/
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    ^ That's when you hide it in the bedding behind a shelf of comforters and go get your wallet. =)
    C'est la vie. Sadly doing that on a bus is a bit tougher. Damn not having a car =/
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    In Filmmaker Mike's defense (who created the video), I have watched his toy videos for a long time now, and have seen a long history of being a totally honest fan. He will often show ads with deals listed, but not sure he has gone to the receipt too often.

Just wanted to share it here because I figured it would be of interest!
  • noblebricknoblebrick Member Posts: 19
    I know many have been claiming the WM deals dead, but I can tell you that isn’t the case. On a recent vacation (yes, even on vacation I am thinking Lego), I checked out some WMs in the Orlando area. After hitting five with little success, I stumbled upon the store ‘lost in time’ (all 50%), many of which I had missed out on previously.

8085 Freeco Speeder
    8089 Hoth Wampa Cave
    8093 Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter
    8095 General Grievous' Starfighter

BUT then on the bottom shelf I saw a 8098 Clone Turbo Tank, with a regular shelf sticker with its 50% price marked! Made the last three months worth it for me!
    BTW Re: $10 BPs.... if anything over the past 3 months has taught me is that NOTHING surprises me about WM. I totally believe this. Another thing that make me think this is true is just the crazy, crazy amount of BPs I have seen in my travels this year. I am sure we have all seen 10 of 20s of these things eating up WM managers book sheets.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Well I wish those Walmarts were near me. The ones that are are completely out of discounted inventory. No $10 BPs or $15 Hogwarts Castles to be found. I stopped by a few WMs when I was getting stuff at the TRU bogo this past week and they have all the same stock they had a month ago.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    What gets me is that for a company that supposedly watches their bottom line as much as Walmart does you would think they would be more consistent on clearance pricing. I mean, at $10 they are losing considerable money on a sale. Granted, it's next to nothing to them on a grand scale, but it's still odd.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    It is "next to nothing" by itself, but all those "next to nothings" do add up over time...

I agree with you, WM should have a better policy in place. I think Lego did it smarter this year, rather than 50% off everything across the board, they did softer discounts and still sold most of it. That being said, the sets still on clearance in March, need to come down further if they really want to move them. Still PQ and Atlantis at my local Lego store, none of it moving.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,986
    Eh. I suspect the one set at my Lego store I had been waiting to go down in discount had finally been marked down to 50%. I had been watching it every few days, and then they were suddenly all gone. I would have rather had a 35% discount to start with, instead of watching sets linger for months at 25%. (The reason I speculate 50% is because the had replaced the set I wanted with some old Ninjago sets. Some of these were at 50% and they were gone within 2 days.)
    Mine still has some cars and atlantis sets in the 50% of isle, along with a couple Midi scale Star Destroyers.
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,302
    Anywhere near WA @pvancil27?? I am looking for the large Atlantis set :)
    Florida, about as far away as one could get.
    Aww I loved FL when I lived there. But I was up in Jax. My best friend in the Army is from FL. Maybe I can get her mom to go get us some lol. Was it anywhere near Zephyr Hills area?
    Tallahassee. I hate it here, cant wait to graduate and move back north.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 360
    I still see the odd set from time to time. Picked up one of two City of Atlantis sets this morning from a store that cleared out all the clearance sets some time ago. Both boxes looked like they just came off the truck, not from underneath it. Both had a yellow sticker on the side for $69.97, but scanned for $34.90.

It's always nice to find something you weren't expecting.
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I recently wandered into a WalMart that I don't frequent. At one point a month ago they said they had 2 Millennium Falcons for 50% off but couldn't locate them. So I finally made the trip back out there and came out with...
    2x Millennium Falcons
    2x QAR
    Police Station
    & Harbor
    all for 50% off, I was stoked!

The two city sets were in the regular isle with prices marked on normal yellow tags. The MF were up by the board games on a high shelf and the QARs were in an unmarked clearance isle. Be sure to look high and low!
    Nice grabs. still waiting for any of my wal marts to clearance out their falcons
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    Amazed at what my daughter can come up with. After attending Brickshow Indy a week ago we now have three LEGO seek and finds around the house complete with lists and a backstory. The spelling is atrocious but hey, she's 7.
    ^ and apparently I had moved out of the LEGO status thread before deciding to comment :). Lent needs to end soon so I can have coffee back!

Sorry.

But on point, last week I did find a Mobile Crane and City of Atlantis at a Walmart I had previously checked, unfortunately they weren't discounted. They definitely do seem to be dredging out everything from the back rooms though.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^^ That's great. Seek and find at home. My kids would love to do this - both the seek/find and planting their own stuff for me to find.
    @sidersdd I was hoping you'd see it and know your LUG had made an impression :). The other two are in the IF and City Townhouse but this one is best. I'm keeping the lists, they're hilarious.
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    While at WM today on other errands, I came decided to check a few sets on the price scanner. For some odd reason, the Alien Conquest Mothership (#7065) was showing up as 17 USD (RRP 59.99 USD) even though the smaller AC sets were still RRP. None of them had price tags. I would have picked up an extra 7065 or two if they had them, but there was only one 7065 and that was the only set with the super low price.

Finds like these are fun, but frustrating at the same time because they defy the sense of logic that I would like to project on the retail world.
    I went to get half price series 5 CMFs today, for daughter's birthday party, and they'd cleared away the clearance toys! However they'd just put them back on the shelves. Talk about a lack of logic.
  • SweetLoganSweetLogan Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2012
    ^^It is possible they sold all of the 7065's at a clearance price and had one returned. So it was in the system at a lower price and just set back on the shelf. Though you'd think the other AC sets would have been on sale at the same time.

Or... it is just WM. haha.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    ^ It's just WM. The one closest to me has a mothership that didn't have a shelf tag that is 50% but the abduction and walker one are both regular price.
    ^I have seen many of these sets %50 off at a bunch of stores for a few months now, so I'm sure some are going lower than that at this point.

I have one super-store near me that had over 40 BPs on the shelves when I checked a few days ago. They were all full price then, but I imagine they will be going on clearance some point soon, if not already.
  • pumperxpumperx Member Posts: 106
    ^wow, 40 is a lot. I've never seen any of my local WM has those kind of quantity. Good for you.
    ^I'm only going to get maybe 2 if it goes to 50%. Would get more QAR if those were at a good discount. I think I actually might go there now to scan the price and see if it did get discounted.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    I know of at least 2 Walmarts with that many Pearls, and tons of Alien, HP and other stuff. Saw some Walmarts restocking all these sets as well.
    ^Any on discount? I've seen some BPs and QARs discounted 25% in january at one walmart, but I have no idea what the prices are now.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    ^ My understanding is that Walmart stores fell into one of two categories:

1. stores that turn over less inventory and have a smaller LEGO aisle - These stores had old stock on clearance since the start of the year (the sets being mentioned)

2. stores with robust sales and have larger LEGO aisles - These stores never had a widespread clearance and are going to carry many older sets at regular price through Spring at least.
    edited March 2012
    ^Given what I've seen, that was my belief and you are accurate in your descriptions. My local WM has a much smaller lego isle and had the Alien and HP on sale (50%) but the others within 30 miles were all regular price, but had larger lego rows.

Within the last week or so my local WM also removed all their toy clearance stuff. About that time, the lego isle was suddenly half empty. One day there was a full row and maybe 3 days later a half empty lego isle and no clearance stuff.
    When I went to one of the WM yesterday and found the S4, I also saw that someone had opened a Harbour on the shelf. I went and found the sales associate to let her know and asked her if they would discount it since I wouldn't be sure all the parts were there. She said they don't discount them, they just send them back for credit :( so I asked what do they do with the displays when they get rid of old ones. She said they "dispose" of them. Double :( !!!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    Still finding SW Advent Calendars for $20 at WM. It seems like the Ninjago small packs are wiped out everywhere - TRU, WM and TAR.
    ^^ What?? Seriously?? I wish they were here lol They have some Ninjago mini sets here. I don't collect those so I don't know if they are new or not. I have seen a blue & a black mini
    The ninjago section was the one most barren, in regards to my post above. Also, I found an open racer that was on the sale rack, a few weeks ago. I asked if they did discounts since it was open and I was told, "Here, I can throw that away for you." Ridiculous. I didn't really want/need it, but I like extra parts.
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 429
    I guess I visit wrong walmarts ;) During my work travels throughout US, I never found the police station at 50% off..... I so would like one at that price :)
    @gmpirate: did you find anything worthwhile in the OC area that you didn't pick up? :)
    @ludzik Lol, oh man, just picked up another Police Station the other day at 50% off. Also found Grievous (50%), the gunship(50%), and the lighthouse (25%). I know of some more police & republic cruiser poly bags.

As of last week, there's a store with some Pearls and Alien stuff at 25% off.

I've been to every Walmart from LA to San Diego. I don't think there's anything left save returns or something they happen to find hidden in the store somewhere. I just got lucky the other day, but I certainly wouldn't spend a day hoping to find anything.
    Lol lucky..... :)
    Took matters in to my own hands last week on the one item I had not been to find at the precious 50% off threshold - the Millennium Falcon. I went to one of the stores I knew where it had been with a printed bar code. I then went bought 2 falcons at full price (10 min away) and then returned them to the store on clearance. I made friendly about some half truths about them being for my son, and asked if I could buy them right back (at the 50% off). They did.
    Seems I had two WM polices working for me (one more than the other). 1 they will typically take returns from another Walmart, and 2 they have to sell you something if they 'have' it. Two managers told me this. I did it twice. :). should I feel guilty?
    I feel a little dirty, but was tired of all the stores being all over the place. Ymmv. I can provide more tips if interested.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^wow, impressive tip. I wouldn't feel dirty about that one. But I would have done more than 2 falcons though to wash any doubt away and run off in glee =)
    Well that is part of the trick I believe. Don't be selfish, and give them a reason to not do it. As I do believe it 'hits' the returning stores books. Two they look the way...but I guess anything is possible. I also did it with 8 ac tripods which were marked down to $5. :).
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm amazed. 1 that it works. 2 that you found tripods for $5.
  • intromissionintromission Member Posts: 197
    Found a Millenium Falcon in the clearance aisle. Only LEGO there. Rang at full price. manager said deleted items get thrown in there with the clearance but not always at sale price. Whatever. So close.

Found a lone Escape from Dragon Prison at $15. Talked it down to $12 after explaining the clearance price was lower (I couldn't remember the exact price). Got home and realized my receipt from the 2 months ago said $9.90. I can live with a $3 difference but I may try to go back and adjust with the proof if I find myself in the area. We'll hold off on building our super Dragon castle.
    So I'm in this store... I look.... I see..... Lego Police Station! Box is a bit beat up... ok, big time beat up.... I run to the scanner... $99.90..... ugh.... I find a friendly sales associate and as I'm asking about it being discounted at other locations I realize... he has a Kmart name tag..... at the end of a long day finding the box made me forget what store am I in... talk about a let down......
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 417
    Yeaaaaaaaaaaa! My local WM finally slashed the remaining two POTC QAR to 50% in the clearance aisle. I've been checking that store every other day since February 1st, finally, finally.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 889
    ^ what city are you in?
    yeah, would be helpful ;)
    I hit my usual spots in Tally, Nothing new anywhere. Except I did finally find the Poly's. now have one of each with 4 extra STAPs for personal use.