Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Benefits of the Exclusive Millennium Falcon VIP Card

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,601
    This conversation has turned to rubbish.
    Lego_Lord_MayorcaMr_Cross
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 466
    edited November 2018
    This whole thread is rubbish.  A bunch of rich kids whining that they bought an $800 set and some how it isn't enough.  The mods should have shut this thread down long ago.
    1265mak0137
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,135
    By rubbish, you mean garbage, right? I always get stuck on that.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 928
    This whole thread is rubbish.  A bunch of rich kids whining that they bought an $800 set and some how it isn't enough.  The mods should have shut this thread down long ago.

I don't think that's true at all. The discussion and dissatisfaction has very, very little to do with the set.
    The problem is claims that TLG made in writing to their fans, claims that have not been lived up to. The issue would be the same if the set had been a £15 one.
    Addicted2OxygenM_Boss
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    Those who could afford and spent the time and effort to acquire the set before the deadline is not fair. Every person should have an opportunity to purchase the set and if can't afford the cost we should not be punished for not able to purchase but instead be given a break or be subsidized to be able to get the set at a discount or even free.  If one person has that opportunity; then all should be given that right also.  It's only fair that TLG follows this thought process as we as people should share and not divide based on whether one can afford it or not.

I'm glad TLG have yet to provide special promotion items for purchasing the set.  We as a world should not divide special lego gifts to those who can not afford it. Everyone is deserving in getting special lego items. :) 
    ^ what you are objecting to is Capitalism. I would argue strongly that the World is not fair and that we shouldn't divide those who can and those who cannot afford things, sadly, we do and the gap seems to be increasing.

Working within the confines of the Capitalist system, however, is it fair that consumers have been misled? Why should those that paid money for a "benefit" not receive that benefit?
    Because it seems equally unfair to me to not live up to promises.
    Brainsluggedgmonkey76AstrobricksM_Bosssonatine01
    Hey hey, I was waiting for this topic to devolve into a debate far older than any of its participants. Good ol' CvC never fails to derail a thread. (That, and memes.)
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterdmcc0FollowsCloselySumoLego560HeliportBrickByBrickRainstorm26
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,382
    Lego knows that they can get away with pretty much anything and most AFOLs will sit and take it. The only way to get through to them is to stop buying and start a movement through social methods. If not, be happy with what your have and move on. 
    Baby_Yoda
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,394
    1265 said:
    We as a world should not divide special lego gifts to those who can not afford it. Everyone is deserving in getting special lego items. :) 
    If everyone gets them, are they still special? After all, everyone can get the special (regular) VIP card. Free of charge, too.
    CCC said:
    1265 said:
    We as a world should not divide special lego gifts to those who can not afford it. Everyone is deserving in getting special lego items. :) 
    If everyone gets them, are they still special? After all, everyone can get the special (regular) VIP card. Free of charge, too.
    Why must you always ruin things by citing the actual definitions of words?  Blah!
    SprinkleOtterMuftak1Baby_Yoda
    edited November 2018
    To be fair, only countries with Lego Brand Stores get VIP cards. In Australia the Black Card was our only chance, however useless it might be here...
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Perhaps you don't mind when a company promises something and then under delivers.  I sure do, and so should you as a consumer.  If they didn't say we'd get access to Star Wars themed VIP rewards throughout the year and then do, what, four crap promotions no one would be bitching.  Don't get mad at us for holding a company responsible for their promotions.
    gmonkey76M_BossomniumLegoboysid3windrMuftak1
    1265 said:
    Those who could afford and spent the time and effort to acquire the set before the deadline is not fair. Every person should have an opportunity to purchase the set and if can't afford the cost we should not be punished for not able to purchase but instead be given a break or be subsidized to be able to get the set at a discount or even free.  If one person has that opportunity; then all should be given that right also.  It's only fair that TLG follows this thought process as we as people should share and not divide based on whether one can afford it or not.

I'm glad TLG have yet to provide special promotion items for purchasing the set.  We as a world should not divide special lego gifts to those who can not afford it. Everyone is deserving in getting special lego items. :) 
    At first I thought this was a new account troll post, then I saw they had over 900 posts.  Yeesh, do kids actually think this way?  I weep for the future.
    SprinkleOtterM_Bossteal93mr2ecmo47FollowsCloselysid3windrBooTheMightyHamsterkbw
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 255
    Hanzo said:
    1265 said:

At first I thought this was a new account troll post, then I saw they had over 900 posts.  Yeesh, do kids actually think this way?  I weep for the future.
    @Hanzo I might be wrong but I think you’ll find that @1265 was employing the humorous concept of irony with a hint of sarcasm. Either that or he’s a raving commie,
    SprinkleOtterFollowsClosely1265sid3windr
    Hanzo said:
    Perhaps you don't mind when a company promises something and then under delivers.  I sure do, and so should you as a consumer.  If they didn't say we'd get access to Star Wars themed VIP rewards throughout the year and then do, what, four crap promotions no one would be bitching.  Don't get mad at us for holding a company responsible for their promotions.
    There is a difference between being a bit crap and not delivering on promises. Legally, they will have delivered on their promise (well, they will have after a year is up). However many people's expectations of what would have been given are clearly much higher than Lego thinks they can get away with. That doesn't mean Lego has to deliver based on those expectations. Their lawyers no doubt know that.

This has nothing to do with their legal requirements, that's been covered.  But you'd be hard pressed to find someone that's satisfied with the promotion, hence the outrage.  Something can be legal and still be "wrong". 

gmonkey76560Heliportbgl_84
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 303
    A years worth of promotions, in most peoples eyes throughout the world (whether you agree with people moaning or not, or calling them spoilt rich kids for spending their own money on items they saved for, earned and wanted) has not yet been delivered,and for most people should amount to, things throughout the year. At best, this would have been once a month (I'm realistic to say daily or weekly from TLG would not have happened) and at worst, once a quarter. Neither has been delivered, and none have yet been exclusive that other members that buy direct from lego have not been able to get in the past, currently, or in the future. Therefore, those of us that did, have a right, as a consumer, to be mightily aggrieved at the abhorrent promotion given thus far :)
    gmonkey76Legoboy
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 229
    In my email I remember seeing “Exclusive Contests” not “Exclusive contest” so they haven’t delivered on that. We were also promised “Exclusive Access" which I don’t the we have gotten at all. But of course they are legally covered because they put “The LEGO Group reserves the right to cancel or modify this promotion at any time without prior notice.”
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,431
    I did not buy the new UCS Falcon, so I have not been following this closely, but I did predict way back at the beginning that buyers would be disappointed by the promo. I do have a question for those who made the purchase.

If given 20/20 hindsight, would you have
    a. not purchased #75192 at all
    b. purchased later direct to get VIP points
    c. purchased later direct only if double points
    d. purchased later, but only at a significant discount
    e. purchased during the promo to get the Black VIP card and the minimal promos

Strictly speaking, the black card is and remains exclusive and has reasonable value (£30 or so based on sales.) This is similar to some exclusive minifigures' value being in their packaging rather than in the figures themselves.
    Now we're down to including the value of the card itself? Lol.

gmonkey76oldtodd33bgl_84
    Oh darn it. I thought emails must have been dropping into inboxes.

I'm almost certain I would not have bought #75192 on the day of release, I might have bought it when there was a discount at Smyths, but I think it's more likely that I would have bought entirely other sets elsewhere... and those sets would most likely have been Harry Potter ones.
  • Stvoyager04Stvoyager04 Member Posts: 117
    I did not buy the new UCS Falcon, so I have not been following this closely, but I did predict way back at the beginning that buyers would be disappointed by the promo. I do have a question for those who made the purchase.

If given 20/20 hindsight, would you have
    a. not purchased #75192 at all
    b. purchased later direct to get VIP points
    c. purchased later direct only if double points
    d. purchased later, but only at a significant discount
    e. purchased during the promo to get the Black VIP card and the minimal promos

With hindsight, knowing that it is now more easily available, I’d definitely say d. 

I ordered on day of release. It is still in the delivery box (unopened) as I’ve since decided to move house, which isn’t likely to happen (now) until next summer, so i’ll have had it 2 before even opening it. 

So yeah knowing how dissapointing the black card promo has been I’d have definitely waited. 
    To be fair, it's not like anyone outright purchased the Black Card, and it's not like anyone didn't receive the relevant benefits. Those benefits just weren't any good. It's like opening a blind CMF bag and getting a worthless fig you already own. If you're going to drop such an insane sum of money on something when you have no idea what that something actually is, perhaps it's worth considering that it might not end up actually being worth all the effort.
    Polyphemus
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 701
    edited November 2018
    @Baby_Yoda - I'd say it's more like opening a blind bag and finding a video of Rick Astley singing "Never Going To Give You Up" inside.

I hope I haven't just spoiled the surprise of the Q4 promo for everyone.
    SprinkleOtterBumblepantssid3windrAstrobricksBaby_Yoda
    Legoboy said:
    All they had to do in addition was to offer 2x VIP once each month to the ‘Elite group of VIP Members’

I thought that they would do something similar to this, have double points once a month but only on a specific SW set each time. And maybe triple points on a set that isn't selling well.

Considering that not long ago they used to be able to give away reasonable character polybags, such as TC-4, Hoth Han, and Hulk, Martian Manhunter, on quite low value orders the lack of anything exclusive, even if just exclusive for a while, is quite shocking.
    omniumMr_Crossgmonkey76The_RancorBaby_YodaGothamConstructionCo
    Hanzo said:
    Now we're down to including the value of the card itself? Lol.

Based on sales on ebay, it is so far the most valuable item from the promotion. The value is equivalent to about the number of VIP points at full RRP, so effecitively double VIP points. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,592
    Are people selling/buying the ones with names printed on them? Or did some go out plain? "Hi my name is uh... 'Bravis Dangleson?' and I, uh, this is totally my VIP card!"
    AstrobricksSumoLego
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 701
    What do people do if they sell their VIP cards? Mine has my name and VIP number on so I wouldn't want other people having those. Or is it just the generic cards that people got who lined up at Leicester Square that are being sold?
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 730
    The Leicester Square ones go for thousands, not £30. So I guess it's the ones with names on.

You can always open a new VIP account, after selling the card, I suppose.
    omnium said:
    The Leicester Square ones go for thousands, not £30. So I guess it's the ones with names on.

Yes, these are the standard [email protected] issued ones. I don't think I've seen one of the "150 club" sold on ebay, although I have seen some listed (but not sold?) for £1000s earlier on in the year. I don't follow them that closely, but occasionally look.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 613
    Yeah quite besides anything else having only one 'exclusive' x2 VIP point event for the whole year is just lazy - VIP points aren't even worth that much - particularly if (like me) you don't live at all near a bricks & mortar store to keep earning & spending them.
    Mr_Crossgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
    Even a book of vouchers would have been easy, you know, the kind of crud you regularly get from Tesco clubcard:
    • £5 off a £50 spend in August
    • £10 off a £100 spend in May
    • Buy any 'Xtra' set get another free (cheapest one free)
    • Buy #75222 A Betrayal of Cloud City get 400 extra VIP points (because we just can't shift it)
    • Two for One on Speed Champions/Battle Packs on Christmas Day only (max one of each set)
    • Free Collectible Minifigure (from current range) with any purchase.
    ...or anything similar.
    gmonkey76CM4S
    Mr_Cross said:
    Buy #75222 A Betrayal of Cloud City get 400 extra VIP points (because we just can't shift it)
    That one is a possibility, but not exclusive to black card holders!

edited November 2018
    Gibbo1959 said:
    Hanzo said:
    1265 said:

@Hanzo I might be wrong but I think you’ll find that @1265 was employing the humorous concept of irony with a hint of sarcasm. Either that or he’s a raving commie,
    Gibbo1959  Bravo to you....someone who can read between the lines and understands irony and sarcasm.  @Hanzo ; Yes, kids actually do think this way and plenty of adults.  
    Baby_Yoda
    1265 said:
    Gibbo1959 said:
    Hanzo said:
    1265 said:

Gibbo1959  Bravo to you....someone who can read between the lines and understands irony and sarcasm.  @Hanzo ; Yes, kids actually do think this way and plenty of adults. 
    That's top notch sir, well done.  I totally missed it.  The sentence structure and grammatical errors sold it to me as legit.  And you're right, this toxic mindset does seem to be popular nowadays. 
    SprinkleOttersid3windrBaby_Yoda
    Hanzo said:
    That's top notch sir, well done.  I totally missed it.  The sentence structure and grammatical errors sold it to me as legit.  And you're right, this toxic mindset does seem to be popular nowadays. 
    What doe ewe meen?  I taught me grammer was grate.
    gmonkey76AstrobricksHanzobgl_84Baby_Yoda
    ..."Hi my name is uh... 'Bravis Dangleson?' and I, uh, this is totally my VIP card!"...
    Yes, my name is Sexton Hardcastle III.  Sir Sexton Hardcastle III.
    Baby_Yoda
    It would have been good for a laugh if someone did get their name on the card as "Reseller account", KK Kristiansen or Han Solo. That would surely add some value.
    SumoLegoAstrobrickssnowhitie
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,227
    Han......Solo
    Muftak1
    1265 said:
    Yes, kids actually do think this way and plenty of adults.  
    Indeed, there has been a recent online resurgence of communism. Strangely enough, it's not ironic. I didn't think it was possible to bring politics to the Internet without being ironic.
  • nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 46
    Got this in the mail today and at first glance thought it was something related to the VIP Card, but no...LEGO just wants me to purchase another set...

SumoLegoLEGOFan2
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    ^ My initial response too.  Crazy.
    SumoLegoAstrobricks
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    What about the third for just in case?
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterGothamConstructionCoRainstorm26
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,391
    I received the same mailer also. I was dumb founded when I opened it up and read it. Lego must think I'm either gullible or stupid to buy another one especially with the way they have run the promo period. 
    gmonkey76
  • MachONEMachONE USMember Posts: 37
    I got the mailer too and thought the same. Maybe, just maybe they could have put the funds allocated towards producing and shipping this junkmail into producing something for black card holders instead. I really think this promo has caused more ill will than good. 
    oldtodd33gmonkey76Mr_CrossThe_RancorRainstorm26