Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Re-release of Taj Mahal confirmed?

2»

Comments

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,358

I think that looks ok at least
    CCCbuildalotIstokgkiki180703mak0137
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,179
    I am going to step back and say that the new set is overpriced at $370. I understand the set is much lower compared to the after market price, but the original set went on sale for $250 after a while before it sold out and that was when 10% discount were readily available. Now with the influx of inventory and people who no longer want their original because of discoloration or because it no longer carries as much value. I would recommend that whoever wants to this not to rush out and buy it, but wait for a sale or promo.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,205
    I don't think the price is that bad based on the original and average inflation in prices since then. But I agree, this will probably not be a fast seller. But then we don't know whether it will be a big or small run. It may well be that Lego limit stock to let people know it is available at some stage but don't produce loads and get left with stock sitting unsold. I guess the whole thing is about whether this is really about making the set and large numbers of sales or is it about sending a message.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,827
    vwong19 said:
    I am going to step back and say that the new set is overpriced at $370. I understand the set is much lower compared to the after market price, but the original set went on sale for $250 after a while before it sold out and that was when 10% discount were readily available. Now with the influx of inventory and people who no longer want their original because of discoloration or because it no longer carries as much value. I would recommend that whoever wants to this not to rush out and buy it, but wait for a sale or promo.
    The original set may have gone on sale eventually, but the market for LEGO is much, much bigger than it was back then. The lowest I could imagine the new one being priced is $350.

• JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Is this going to be available in Lego brand retail stores or just [email protected]?
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,100
    edited November 2017
    vwong19 said:

Let’s see how the market reacts to this news.
    Actually, you will be surprised on how slowly the market reacts.  It may be that a lot of sellers don't spend time in online forums, or may wait to see how things shake out price wise.  I've noticed this a lot with rare parts that are suddenly re-released.  It can take 2 years sometimes for things to come down in price.   And some sellers never seem to get the message.

Oh.... and I bet that seller that sold someone a $4500 Taj Mahal in October is hoping that seller doesn't ever find out!  :-O  It could buy 12 of the new Taj Mahals!!
  • GjedwardsGjedwards UKMember Posts: 28
    edited November 2017
    I having nothing to add, I've pressed the wrong button and now can't get rid of this box
    sid3windrvwong19kiki180703Johnyk668DeMontes
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,516
    If you get stuck, just go to the main page without posting. Find the "My drafts" link and you can delete the auto-saved draft of your message.
    Gjedwardsmak0137
  • lulwutlulwut Member Posts: 416
    I just wanted to log back in and say 'told ya'll so'.
    sid3windrFollowsClosely
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,283
    lulwut said:
    I just wanted to log back in and say 'told ya'll so'.
    lol wut? 
    bobabricksMynattsid3windr
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Awesome!

@Istokg - it would appear that the $4500 new set and 2 other sales last month were cancelled recently. 

I can’t see too many sales on Bricklink at the current listed prices. 
    @vwong19 - Yup!!  And the number of sets for sale went up by 3!!

I bet the seller of the $4500 set is depressed!!  :-(
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,883
    Got the "Late" Holdiay [email protected] catalog today. Taj insert says "Out of the Vault!" ... makes it feel like there's more to come.

Under notes, it should probably say "This set has not yet been re-released"!

Although that makes me wonder, if a planned re-release set doesn't actually get re-released, would people start selling the old one as a rare un-released version of the new?
    sid3windrLegoboykiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,690
    ^ You mean rare un-re-released :)
    SumoLego
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 674
    Is the Taj going to be extremely hard to get like the UCS falcon?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,382
    Maybe a 'Bricklinked' un-released re-release.  The original has a different set number, so it would be a prior-release of an un-released re-release.
    SumoLego said:
    Maybe a 'Bricklinked' un-released re-release.  The original has a different set number, so it would be a prior-release of an un-released re-release.
    If the logic is hard to understand... this will make things clearer.... ;-)

PapaBearomniumAstrobricksFizyx
    ^ That makes perfect sense to people on this side of the pond.

Is the Taj going to be extremely hard to get like the UCS falcon?
    I doubt it. I cannot see mass hysteria over it like the Falcon, but could well be wrong.
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 591
    Looks like it’s now on back order with [email protected]
    Blimey. I wonder how many they had in. There's already some on BL and eBay.
    It's also the headline banner on bricklink. They seem to be encouraging resellers to buy out [email protected] to force people to the secondary market.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,358
    so to make sure their old stock of taj mahal sets keep good value, resellers attempt to buy all the re-released ones?
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 408
    It's only backordered by 2 weeks.  I wonder if they are doing that to trick more resellers into buying their stock, thinking that they are close to getting them sold out.

One year later... crickets. Most sales are on eBay.
    SumoLegoBumblepantskiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,382
    edited November 2018
    I'm sure someone at LEGO is pleased that the re-release has likely consumed any secondary market interest in the original.

And by comparison, the reissue sold more!

I wonder how much interest there has been on the primary market!
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,277
    I had a look in the store, and the sets had seal code 31S8. (1st week of August)
    So doesn't seem to be a shelf warmer.
    Aanchir