Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Benefits of the Exclusive Millennium Falcon VIP Card

Comments

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,139
    ^ I think spoilers are fine at this point. Purely from how others have talked about Solo, it was the first Star Wars film in my lifetime I didn't rush to the cinema to see.
    SumoLego
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,778
    Covi said:
    In two days September starts...I guess it confirms that just the card was the best promo on its own. ;-)
    Just wait until December when the best benefit comes...knowing that all of the lame promos are done and dusted, it becomes a very exclusive ice scraper.
    MorkMan
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 300
    I’ve just realised that I don’t know where I have put my card! How am I going to scrape those windscreens!!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,631
    Ironically, Solo is a movie already spoiled.  (In content and fan reaction.)

And of course Han shoots first.  You can see the murder in Greedo's eyes!
    I’ve just realised that I don’t know where I have put my card! How am I going to scrape those windscreens!!
    Just move to the Maldives - there is no winter.  Problem solved!
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen Somewhere behind all the boxes of LegoMember Posts: 300
    @SumoLego if I did that a long term investment in lego boat hulls would be prudent. The Lego divers my kids just got would get some good use too. 
    SumoLego
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 303
    So, as we dont appear to have anything for a while now, assume our 'benefits' have been stopped?
    And, I do not remember getting a DJ. Was that supposed to be sent to me? Reading above, wasnt clear
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    No one got a free DJ figure.

The special VIP card has been a farce.  It won't matter but I will certainly be giving them a piece of my mind when the "benefits" of the card expires.
    gmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,416
    colay said:
    So, as we dont appear to have anything for a while now, assume our 'benefits' have been stopped?
    Probably correct - if you get caught buying another set, then your benefits get stopped.

Oldfan
    LOL, my benefits at home get stopped every time  buy Lego, absolutely
    gmonkey76pharmjodoldtodd33sid3windrkiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,611
    There was a free DJ with a $25 purchase. Not completely free that way but not non-existent either. They better have at least one more something coming.
    gmonkey76
    There was a free DJ with a $25 purchase. Not completely free that way but not non-existent either. They better have at least one more something coming.
    Fair enough, it may have been an exclusive promo of a non-exclusive minifig.  I am just grumpy about the whole thing.
    I'm mainly miffed that 'throughout the year' really meant 'three not very interesting things in the first half of the year'
    FowlerBricksoldtodd33HanzoAstrobricksgmonkey76kiki180703
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 708
    The 'free' DJ wasn't available in-store, and the spend threshold was below the threshold for free shipping. So you had to either pay a bunch extra (for shipping) to get him, or spend £50 or $75 to actually get him 'free'. Not to mention how he'd been a shelf-warmer in the UK for several months before he was offered to Black VIP card holders.

I really hope Lego comes up with one final, great promo im Q4 as a thank you to it's most loyal fans. Otherwise, you could argue that the wording on the original promo material was deliberately misleading. If it had stated that we would be getting "these" great offers - i.e. just what was shown on the promotional material, people would be feeling a lot less deceived right now.
    gmonkey76
    I'm mainly miffed that 'throughout the year' really meant 'three not very interesting things in the first half of the year'
    About 20% of year left yet, presumably they will do something for Xmas. 

Maybe a poster of the advent calendar Santa costume figs!
    SumoLego
    Oooo... maybe a poster of Santa-Costumed Star Wars characters....
    ...to line my trash bin.
    gmonkey76Lego_Lord_MayorcaSprinkleOtterBaby_Yodacanon03FowlerBrickskiki180703
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 616
    edited October 2018
    It's hard to know what can be provided as a gift at this point - it would be nice if it was a set we're familiar with like the Space Slug or a recent version of an SDCC diorama, but those seem unlikely. TLG have become better (although not perfect) at controlling leaks recently so it may be that something we'll get, we don't know about yet at all. I'm not totally sure how long they've been going but maybe a 10th anniversary of the Star Wars advent calendar might be a treat. Or, because people in the UK can't easily get hold of one, a Kessel Mine Worker. It's pretty lame to everyone else but I wouldn't mind it, knowing the calibre of what we've got so far!
    I think LEGO would be less inclined to offer specials the closer we get to Christmas.  It makes little sense to incentivize people to buy LEGO when they're going to anyway.

A good promotion drives people to purchase in those months they are normal disinclined to buy.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    Maybe they’d consider giving us a full second year of promos and exclusives.  It’s not going to cost them anything after all.
    gmonkey76SumoLegokiki180703
    Legoboy said:
    Maybe they’d consider giving us a full second year of promos and exclusives.  It’s not going to cost them anything after all.
    Smart-ass guy says: "Shouldn't they deliver a full FIRST year of promos and exclusives?"
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76brickventuresAstrobricksBaby_YodaLobotsid3windrkiki180703
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 931
    I contacted them again about this. I had initially drafted a new message well before the Sept anniversary but decided not to send it, just in case something better was planned to mark the occasion.
    In the end, this topic resurfacing again prompted me to final edit my message and send it off to Customer Services. I had basically expressed disappointment and sadness with the "exclusive benefits" again, I layed it on as thick as I felt I honestly could whilst remaining polite and not whiny. I expected nothing but the usual brand of proforma responses, but thought it was important to reiterate my dissatisfaction. The customer services response was swift and also a little surprising to me.
    Customer Services said:
    I’m sorry you’re unhappy with the black VIP promotions, and i totally understand why, we did not anticipate that so many fans would buy the UCS Millennium Falcon, and get the Black VIP card, there for we had to cancel some promotions, due to it not being fair if only some members would get them

We will have more promotions, and might even extend into 2019 - but this is out of my hands, and i don't know exactly what they will do.

I have forwarded your feedback to the responsible promotional teams.

Normally they aren't so specific or free with the information and it is nice to have the suspicion that they were so overwhelmed by demand and that they did have other stuff planned finally confirmed. The fact that CS is now responding in this way makes me think they are getting a lot of similar mail.

For the record, they have also attempted to make amends for my unhappiness with the promotional offers. I am reluctant to share the exact details of that publically in case anyone who attempts the same thing is further disappointed when any gesture LEGO made to them failed to meet up to that which I had reported. Happy to share more via PM.

I would still like there to be something "special", appropriate and exclusive in a forthcoming promotion, but I'm no longer expecting anything much and for now, I'm happy with LEGO's response to my complaint. In fact, I think only once in the last twenty years have I been anything other than happy, content or (most often) delighted with their response.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,238
    So their promotion (the black card) worked so well, that they had to cancel part of it? That’s a bit ironic and sure will make the next such promotion less successful.
    MorkMan
    ^I think it was the success of the set selling so much, not the promotion. They didn't anticipate so many people willing to spend $800.

I wonder if the amount of complaining did kill off some of the planned perks because they realized something like '2x points on Star Wars Constraction sets for a week' wasn't going to go over well.
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 483
    I like the part of the comment that says "due to it not being fair if only some members would get them". that had me laughing the most...
    LobotBaby_Yodasid3windrkiki180703
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,614
    I understand if they only made x number of promo sets but they have had a long time to make more. Also there still could have offered a nice discount instead it has been really poor.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    So that statement's like, "Well we had all these great plans for you, but because our promo was so successful and notwithstanding we're the most profitable toy company in the world, we simply couldn't afford to keep it going.  Instead we decided to forget whatever morals we had and thought it more profitable to just do away it.  We figured you were such big fans of LEGO that you would continue to kiss our ass regardless."

I mean TLG, WTF?!?

It's surprising for TLG and the lengths their CS go to at times, but that has to be up there with the poorest display professionalism at a high level.
    SumoLegosid3windrkiki180703
    obi_g said:
    I like the part of the comment that says "due to it not being fair if only some members would get them". that had me laughing the most...
    They could have done an exclusive raffle.
    obi_gYo_dABaby_Yodasid3windrkiki180703
    So, they want us to believe they could only handle X amount of people getting a promo and they had way more people buy the Falcon so they had to scrap it? 

Hahahahaha, sure......ok.  I hate it when companies that their customers like they're stupid. 
    gmonkey76
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 748
    I don't think it's that far-fetched. Maybe something like the #75512 Millennium Falcon Cockpit was originally intended for Black VIP holders, but so many people bought #75192 that they didn't have enough #75512? So they made it a ComiCon exclusive instead? I think the "Solo" version of the MF cockpit would have been a great choice for Black VIP members.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,238
    ^I think it was the success of the set selling so much, not the promotion. They didn't anticipate so many people willing to spend $800.

I wonder if the amount of complaining did kill off some of the planned perks because they realized something like '2x points on Star Wars Constraction sets for a week' wasn't going to go over well.
    I think the black card was part of WHY it sold so well. I certainly would have waited at least for double points otherwise.

To your second point, having several different “weak” offers, with some variety would have been better than what we have seen so far.
    gmonkey76Yo_dAOldfankiki180703
    I don't think it's that far-fetched. Maybe something like the #75512 Millennium Falcon Cockpit was originally intended for Black VIP holders, but so many people bought #75192 that they didn't have enough #75512? So they made it a ComiCon exclusive instead? I think the "Solo" version of the MF cockpit would have been a great choice for Black VIP members.
    So, they sold too many $800 sets.....and they couldn't just make more of a small set with non exclusive figs/pieces to give away/sell to members?  I mean if that's what you want to believe I won't try to stop you.
  • flimflamflimflam EdinburghMember Posts: 8
    They cancelled some promotions because it wouldn’t be fair that only some people would get them. But they would have held the promotions if less people had been eligible for them?  That’s makes no sense. 

I wonder what the cut off point was. Ok for only 10,000 people to get exclusive offers but not for 10,001?

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 748
    I think it's about the timing. "Just make more of a small set..." Not necessarily that easy.  But I'm in complete agreement that the exclusives haven't been much to get excited about.
    To me it is simple, once they realized they had no problem selling an $800 set and demand was through the roof they had zero motivation to "lose" any money at all on promotions.  They already have our money.  One things for certain is I will never fall for this crap again.

Until the next special membership is offered.

SumoLegoBaby_Yodasid3windrkiki180703
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    SumoLego said:
    obi_g said:
    I completely agree - like giving away a white-gold R2-D2?  That's a total pile of marketing nonsense.

You want to keep Black Card VIP members happy?  Send out a SW-themed polybag every month, or send out a 15% off coupon for the Y-Wing or another UCS set.  Or a mini-build or a poster, or simply anything to let those customers who spent $800.00 that you appreciate their business!
    I'm happy ;)
    SumoLegosid3windrFireheartstarwars4everkiki180703
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,614
    How much does happiness cost? 
    samiam391pharmjodBaby_Yodastarwars4everkiki180703
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,397
    At the very least they should send out $800 in bonus points. I know I for one would of waited for double points if the promos we got are all we're going to get. 
    AstrobricksYo_dA
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    SMC said:
    How much does happiness cost? 
    In this case, probably too much. 
    SumoLegoBaby_Yodaiso3200mak0137Fireheartstarwars4everkiki180703
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 483
    edited October 2018
    it's not like they could have made enough of the same bonus set to match the number of cards they printed. Lego know who they mailed the cards out to. it shouldn't be difficult to then post out a small set of some sort to everyone, without having to buy anything for once. that would be a _really_ nice gesture.
    gmonkey76
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 313
    you guys all jumped on the "black card offers"; I waited till I could buy the Falcon with my employee discount and paid $30 bucks for it. Given the "offers", I think I made the right call. Now, I've spend almost the cost of the Falcon making the Docking Bay for it, but that's a whole nother thing. 
  • Yo_dAYo_dA IndianaMember Posts: 32
    gmonkey76 said:
    At the very least they should send out $800 in bonus points. I know I for one would of waited for double points if the promos we got are all we're going to get. 

You nailed it right here^. I would prefer not to have to write a lengthy email to LEGO expressing how lame the Black card benefits have been to get some extra VIP points. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76kiki180703
    MrJackson said:
    you guys all jumped on the "black card offers"; I waited till I could buy the Falcon with my employee discount and paid $30 bucks for it. Given the "offers", I think I made the right call. Now, I've spend almost the cost of the Falcon making the Docking Bay for it, but that's a whole nother thing. 
    I don't normally call people out, but are you saying you paid $30 for #75192 or am I reading that wrong?
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 616
    I'm with @Astrobricks as there is literally NO reason why TLG should shirk even the simplest offers. Okay, so the 'official' reason is connected to exclusive set production - I don't believe this but take it as given. That shouldn't have stopped them from offering double or even triple VIP points at least a couple more times during the year. Then there's discounts - surely it's not that hard to implement either a general money off coupon, or an exclusive code to apply a discount to [email protected] for some Star Wars products in your basket once or twice?

So what have we had again? I had this on my count:
    • Double VIP points (two times or just once?)
    • A very small Y-Wing poster
    • An entry to a draw to win a single white gold R2-D2 globally
    • The DJ polybag that was warming shelves in Tesco for most of the year (I didn't even redeem this one as I already had DJ)
    • Er... that's it
    What the CS rep didn't cite as a reason for awful Black VIP awards was the vitriolic response that came from those that 1.) bought a Falcon but couldn't get it whilst the black card was being issued 2.) those that wanted a Falcon but couldn't justify the expense and 3.) other fans that were never going to buy it anyway. I remember when all these three groups cried 'elitism' for having exclusive awards only to a segment of TLG's audience - I can understand group 1, but coming from the other two it was a little petty. However, like I said, perhaps if the CS rep didn't mention it that was neither the real or official reason for poor rewards.

On a positive note - the CS message did say "We WILL have more promotions" which you would hope isn't an outright lie. Holding out hope for the Kessel Mine Worker poly still!

By the way I just want to put it out there - I didn't buy the Millennium Falcon for the VIP card - I would've bought it without as I took tonnes of money off RRP using VIP points.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 979
    ohhhhhhh, I saw this thread had some action, and I thought for a split seconds, you guys were finally going to get something from Lego.
    sid3windr
    Hanzo said:
    MrJackson said:
    I don't normally call people out, but are you saying you paid $30 for #75192 or am I reading that wrong?
    Yeah, uh.  Where do you work?  It sure ain't for LEGO.  (Maybe a 30% discount.  That's plausible.)
    Baby_YodaSprinkleOtterHanzokiki180703
    • Double VIP points (two times or just once?)
    • A very small Y-Wing poster
    • The DJ polybag that was warming shelves in Tesco for most of the year (I didn't even redeem this one as I already had DJ)
    • Er... that's it
    That Y-Wing 'poster' was available with the purchase of a UCS Y-Wing.  So... let me edit your list for true exclusives...
    So, basically the net-net of the Black VIP Card was to get @samiam391 a gold R2-D2.  Nice!
    pharmjod
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 229
    ryjay said:
    ohhhhhhh, I saw this thread had some action, and I thought for a split seconds, you guys were finally going to get something from Lego.
    Lol nope. 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,395
    CCC said:
    Maybe a fiver off your second purchase of the UCS MF. :-)

Little did he know it, but this was being optimistic!
    sid3windr