Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What Have You Done To Your House To Accommodate Your Lego Hobby/Addiction?

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 492
    When I'm finally able to start remodeling my media room and adding in the shelves and whatnot, I'll be heavily utilizing IKEA!
    SumoLego
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 379
    edited June 2018
    dmcc0 said:
    ^Reminds me of the time my brother got his first TV in his bedroom many years ago and my father decided to mount it on a wall bracket.  First (and possibly only) time that I saw a CRT TV bounce - complete with bracket and a section of the wall still attached!  
    I'm so happy it's commonplace in continental EU (or, at least, the Netherlands) to build with proper stone instead of drywall.

Would've been a great video, though.
    dmcc0
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 173
    stlux said:
    Since my 07th May post, my wife convinced me that instead of being unable to decide on a "perfect" custom solution, I just experiment with some cheap Ikea furniture first to get a better idea if what I actually need/the layout of the room.

So, 8 LINNMON 100x60cm tables were assembled, and this is where I am now:

Should be able to fit a roller coaster on that...

At least it's now easier to navigate the room!

Pending: Have the (triple) glass in the windows replaced with glass with UV filters. (Offer already signed) There were so many things to decide on when construction the house, I had complete forgotten to request that. D'oh!
    As an architect, I'm hugely envious of the fact that you have triple-glazed windows, let alone are evaluating a replacement to UV filters...
    Fizyx
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 380
    I was looking at getting LACK shelves for my sets when we move into our new house but realized that they are only just over 10" (26cm) wide. Which is barely larger than a baseplate. I like to display my minifigures, cars and such in front of my modulars and other displays so this wouldnt be big enough. I think I am going to end up getting a couple 4'x8' sheets of particle board and cut them down to 16" widths and line the wall with them using some angle brackets. This should give me plenty of space for what I have and future expansion. The brackets arent ideal but I'll try to paint them the wall color so they blend in, plus they will be able to hold a lot more weight.
    LittleLori
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 408
    Toc13 said:

If you're still in the area, EMAUS in St Albans or Debra & BHF in Hemel might be worth a check. Going to be a fair bit cheaper than new
    I'm moving about 200 yards! There's an ECCO in Harlow which I looked in - but I want some consistency, and they obviously just have what is donated.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    stlux said:
    Since my 07th May post, my wife convinced me that instead of being unable to decide on a "perfect" custom solution, I just experiment with some cheap Ikea furniture first to get a better idea if what I actually need/the layout of the room.

Pending: Have the (triple) glass in the windows replaced with glass with UV filters. (Offer already signed) There were so many things to decide on when construction the house, I had complete forgotten to request that. D'oh!
    As an architect, I'm hugely envious of the fact that you have triple-glazed windows, let alone are evaluating a replacement to UV filters...
    Over the past couple of years Luxembourg has become gradually more and more strict on energy efficiency when it comes to building regulations. This has cumulated last year in "your planned house is not passive/energy neutral: no building permit for you".

So the triple-glazed windows were not even open for discussion ;)
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,784
    stlux said:
    Honey glazed?  Or just a regular sugar glaze?
    MattDawsongmonkey76LegoPegasister2015
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    @SumoLego sausage flavour glazed as a member of this forum surely?
    stluxgmonkey76Baby_YodaSumoLegocatwrangler
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 173
    stlux said:
    stlux said:

Over the past couple of years Luxembourg has become gradually more and more strict on energy efficiency when it comes to building regulations. This has cumulated last year in "your planned house is not passive/energy neutral: no building permit for you".

Cheers to that.  Over here its all "why should we worry about energy efficiency in our building codes?  This country is about freedom..."

OK maybe its not ALL like that, but swear to God that I had a project about to start construction and nearly didn't have to follow any sort of energy code because the state didn't get around to renewing it.
    I have room!  I have room!!
    Farmer_JohnBillyBricks84gmonkey76davetheoxygenmandmcc0stluxJern92wardmFowlerBricks
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,403

No room to display these :( 

Didn't you just expand your basement a couple years ago? I seem to remember you had a HUGE storage area. I hate to ask, but what happened????
    SumoLego
    (My guess - children.  They monopolize everything!)
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193

No room to display these :( 
    Deep breaths. Deep breaths.
    edited August 2018
    Sorry I don’t post very often but here is a view of my room.
    I aspire to have this room.  With a cubicle.
    mak0137SprinkleOtterdavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yoda
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 696
    edited August 2018
    ^Why waste space with a cubicle..just hang ass out the window and go medieval..or if no window a good ol' fashioned hole in the floor...
    SumoLego
    edited August 2018
    Maybe cubicles mean different things?  In 'Murica, a cubicle is a modular workstation.

I think you're talkin' 'bout a Thunderbox?  You European folk have such funny words for things!
    AstrobricksFarmer_Johngmonkey76SprinkleOtterdavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yodaricecake
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,403
    SumoLego said:
    Maybe cubicles mean different things?  In 'Murica, a cubicle is a modular workstation.

I think you're talkin' 'bout a Thunderbox?  You European folk have such funny words for things!
    I think I sit next to a "thunderbox at work...at least based on the noises emanating from the other side of the wall.
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanOldfan
    You must really be a farmer, after all...

dmcc0Farmer_John
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 136
    Hi folks, my wife and I are thinking about doing up our Lego room and wondering what kind of shelves people tend to use.  I have seen a lot of people using Billy from Ikea as the shelves are adjustable but I was wondering about the depth, I can only see them in 28cm depth varieties.  Most of the stuff we have tends to be big stuff (UCS, Creator Expert etc) and i’m concerned that 28cm isn’t deep enough.

Can anyone who uses Billy put my mind at rest or recommend another good shelving unit commonly found in the UK? I don’t really want to go down the route of putting up multiple individual shelves. We have a few Kallax / Expedit units at present but they are quite restrictive as we cannot put big things in them.

Any and all help appreciated...
    SumoLego
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    Personally I only use the Billy Bookcases to store my part collection (in 1.5l and 3l Really Useful Boxes). I don't display sets on them, so I can't help you there!
    SumoLego
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    edited September 2018
    For deeper shelving I use the Liatorp glasss cabinet (from ikea)  they are 38 cm deep if I remember correct. 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,403
    I've re-read almost this whole thread, and I can't believe I've not yet posted photos of my Lego room in here. The only problem is, it's now full. I'll have to take photos at some point and post them
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanAll_That_Rocks
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    Here's an updated photo of the mess in my house taken less than an hour ago. Can spot the difference from the photo posted 3 years back? :))

Basically the count had increased from around 750K bricks worth of sets to now 910K.
    Baby_YodaPJ76uk560HeliportdatsunrobbieKLOKRIECHERomniumFizyx
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 807
    It took you three years to add 160K bricks? Slacker! ;)
    Baby_Yodanwr122MorkMan
    Recce said:
    Can spot the difference from the photo posted 3 years back?
    New track lighting?
    Baby_Yoda
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,462
    I'm gonna guess the difference is whatever sets came out in the last three years?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,380
    edited October 2018
    Recce said:
    Here's an updated photo of the mess in my house taken less than an hour ago. Can spot the difference from the photo posted 3 years back? :))

Basically the count had increased from around 750K bricks worth of sets to now 910K.
    I don’t know. It looks like less lego now, especially in the back room :)

omniumCoops
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,444
    Added more shelves on the left? Looks like sets moved from floor on right to shelves on left, covering more of the door and air conditioner on left side of the room.
    SumoLego
    Added more shelves on the left? Looks like sets moved from floor on right to shelves on left, covering more of the door and air conditioner on left side of the room.
    Ooo... good catch!  There is another LEGO layer to the storage onion.
    Baby_Yoda
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,273
    so, what do you do with all those boxes?
    wardmBaby_Yoda
    It took you three years to add 160K bricks? Slacker! ;)
    Have been slowing down due to space issue. Don't think can add much from now onwards.
    Recce said:

I don’t know. It looks like less lego now, especially in the back room :)

Shifted many to other parts of the house, so looks cleaner in this room. Far side now had more racks.

SumoLego
    Fauch said:
    so, what do you do with all those boxes?
    Believe it or not, trying to build them!

Had minimum building activity since early this year due to space issue. Need time to rearrange stuffs in the house and see how to display/store built sets. :)

SumoLego
    That sounds like a vicious cycle.  I have no room to build because of sets, and no room for sets because of the builds...
    Baby_YodabrickventuresMuftak1catwranglerFizyx
  • MoneyHypeMikeMoneyHypeMike Québec, CanadaMember Posts: 42
    Before:

After:

Less of a mess now and much easier to find sets.
    I still need to sort correctly and hope everything matches my Excel sheet inventory.
    Probably got another 100 sets in various bins.
    OnebricktoomanyAstrobricksBaby_YodaSumoLegoKLOKRIECHERomniumAddicted2Oxygencatwrangler
    How often do you really use that exercise equipment?  -Wink wink-
    AstrobrickswardmstluxBaby_YodaFizyx
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 485
    How come all your boxes come in consistent sizes? I don't think I've got two the same - it really annoys me.
    omnium
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,273
    I counted almost 400 boxes
    SumoLego
    edited October 2018
    (And five pieces of exercise equipment. Plus a yoga ball - which could be considered a piece of exercise equipment.)
  • MoneyHypeMikeMoneyHypeMike Québec, CanadaMember Posts: 42
    SumoLego said:
    How often do you really use that exercise equipment?  -Wink wink-

I actually use the exercise equipment more often than I build LEGO sets!

How come all your boxes come in consistent sizes? I don't think I've got two the same - it really annoys me.

I am not sure what you mean?
    SumoLego
    edited October 2018
    MoneyHypeMike said:
    I actually use the exercise equipment more often than I build LEGO sets!
    Then there is clearly something wrong with you. 
    -Stretching for a Slurpee Refill from my Wall-E Hoverchair-

I don't have a LEGO 'Ab Carver Pro' in my collection.  Off to Bricklink!
    Switchfoot55Baby_YodaSprinkleOtterAstrobricksMoneyHypeMike
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 807
    I love it! Especially your grey Café Corner!
    SumoLegoMr_Cross
  • SamuraiPeteSamuraiPete Member Posts: 35
    Nice setup!  I too love the custom modulars.
    SumoLego
    Very impressed.  I think I'm going to steal your lower level design for the beach.

Other observations:

1) Excellent Dewback Placement
    2) Cactus in Plain Sight
    3) Where are the Hobbitses?
    4) Those roads are awfully shinny.
    5) Finnish Flag?
    6) You thought we wouldn't notice, but we did.  No Flying Time Vessel goes unnoticed.

7)  Finally, those are some substantial balls.

SprinkleOttercanon03PJ76ukBillyBricks84Baby_Yodagmonkey76Addicted2Oxygencatwrangler
    When I try to think like a normal (non-hoarding) person would and look at these pictures of boxes stacked on top of boxes, it scares the hell out of me. I wonder if this means there's a glimmer of hope for me?
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterFollowsCloselydavetheoxygenman
    I wonder if this means there's a glimmer of hope for me?
    Yes, of course there is.
    (Otherwise, there is no hope for me.)
    davetheoxygenmanFarmer_John