Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10268 Vestas Wind Turbine

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,074
edited September 2018 in Collecting
I was glad to see this rumor come true as this has been on my wanted list for a while, but $200 seems steep. I suppose it’s because of having both lights and a motor. I suspect I’ll still get one. Maybe there will be a Black Card discount! ;-)

Can you imagine living in that house with the constant Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh! noise all the time?
PapaBear

Comments

• SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,131
    edited September 2018
    Have they even done anything with the VIP Black Card besides the Y-Wing poster?

I like the set, but $200 is at least $50 too much for me. I know that the Power Functions components are expensive, but it still seems too costly.

Edit: The press release also notes the use of some of their new plant sourced plastic. I suppose that could be a factor in the higher cost, along with the large rock pieces in green and what appears to be printing as opposed to stickers, plus the printing on the mini-figures, but the cost still seems rather high.
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 48
    Do we know how expensive  the original one was? Then we can adjust the price for inflation and stuff and still say it is overpriced.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,074
    Do we know how expensive  the original one was? Then we can adjust the price for inflation and stuff and still say it is overpriced.
    I think I saw someone mention that #4999 was $75 and only available to Vestas employees.
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 48
    ^phew, that’s a lot of inflation.
    I really don’t see the new plant-sourced plastic trees as a likely reason for increased price. I doubt TLG would have bothered to make the switch if the cost was significantly higher.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 303
    Just read on The Brothers Brick that everything is printed. Still complaining about the presence of stickers in sets?
    Astrobricks
    I really don’t see the new plant-sourced plastic trees as a likely reason for increased price. I doubt TLG would have bothered to make the switch if the cost was significantly higher.
    I just checked the announcement email and saw this: 

“This set includes a spruce tree manufactured from sustainably sourced plant-based plastic!”

A spruce tree?! One? There appear to be three in the set.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,753
    I believe I paid $325 for mine on eBay, and at the time that was a fantastic price.
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    l must have been asleep or something because l never heard of the rumor of this set being re-released. l will definitely pick it up, it's an interesting set. Though l do understand the complaints about the price.
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 245
    edited September 2018
    I'm in for three! It's about $50 higher than I would have liked, but having printed pieces is nice.

Also disappointed it's PF powered rather than PUP, but I guess the components don't exist yet for them to convert it over (Namely, a battery box that turns on and goes without a Bluetooth controller).
    One of my LUG members has two of the originals, and he hooked them up to old school 9v train controllers so he could control their speed.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    £160 isn't too bad when you consider that the passenger train is £120 and has about 650 pieces...

So it's not cheap, but sets with PF usually aren't.

As far as I'm aware this has come out of the blue - I'm not seen any rumours about a re-release of this. One thing is for sure though, lots of show displays are going to start sprouting 1m high turbines!
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,549
    The more I look the more I find little things to like, the dark blue hats will go well with the light blue ones from 10219
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 155
    I agree that the price is steep, but the re-release is a welcome surprise.  It was one of the most sought after but hard to obtain sets, and I doubt many in the US obtained it for less than $400.  I like the fact that the torsos are printed and all the decorated pieces are prints (No stickers!).  I also like the design that allows for a more realistic blade pitch.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Does anyone know what size lego city one of these will power?
    pharmjodPolyphemus
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 252
    Already on EBay for $299.99.  Do people really buy sets on EBay for sometimes hundreds more dollars than if they paid RRP from Lego?!?
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 948
    I don't see this as anything more than a pr move. The demand for this set, at this price point, is going to be small.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,362
    edited September 2018
    This is a strange choice for a large-scale Creator set.  Is there a market of wind turbine collectors out there?
    daewoo said:
    Already on EBay for $299.99.  Do people really buy sets on EBay for sometimes hundreds more dollars than if they paid RRP from Lego?!?
    Yes.  Of course.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    ^I'm with you on that. Just not interested in this set at all... Apart from the green BURPs, that is...
    SumoLego
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 694
    It's a quirky set that speaks to me! :-)
    If I can get a discount or decent freebie then I will probably buy it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,178
    I think I saw someone mention that #4999 was $75 and only available to Vestas employees.
    That is correct, It was only available to Vestas employees. I even called CS at the time and saw if I could get one, but they said nope, only availble to Vestas employees via their online store, or some way..

199.99 USD is a bit much IMO, but they are playing on the rarity of the set and how sought after it was, plus I believe it comes with power functions, so 199.99 is not horrible. Just hoping it appears on sale at some point.
    As far as I'm aware this has come out of the blue - I'm not seen any rumours about a re-release of this. One thing is for sure though, lots of show displays are going to start sprouting 1m high turbines!
    @Bumblepants reported on the Leaks thread back on August 17 that he saw it on Promobricks.
  • jlpythonjlpython ILLINOIS, USAMember Posts: 77
    There is something soothing and hypnotic about these wind turbines to me. I too tried to obtain the original; so this is a welcome surprise and a must-add for me. Can’t wait to get my hands on one and see how big it is in person! 

[thats what she said...]
    pharmjod
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,259
    If LEGO set prices are determined by weight, why is Snoke’s Throne Room 492 pieces with none being heavy and still costing $70? 
    Muftak1
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,310
    Love this, except the price, even if it's a bit justified due to PF and such. Wanted to get the old one (bricklinked, then) to put in my city... or even two, but at this price one will suffice. ;O It looks pretty huge though.

PU likely wasn't possible due to, as mentioned above, no turn on and go battery box and also no 50cm extension cables for the WeDo. Not sure what bluetooth would have brought to the table anyway - there's also no IR receiver here/ Woosh woosh sounds maybe? :-)

Not sure what the "new for January 2019 50cm extension cables" is about though - pretty sure they've existed for a long time now, and I highly doubt TLG would add new PF stuff after announcing PU.

I also did hear about this being rereleased a few weeks ago, I think someone mentioned it on Facebook, and I read it again earlier this week. Good [expensive] stuff, LEGO!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,375
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure the 50cm extension cables have ever been in a set before. Perhaps that's what it means?
    sid3windr
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    I don't see this as anything more than a pr move. The demand for this set, at this price point, is going to be small.
    Yeah, I wonder about demand too. This is a big set that is going to require a lot of space to display and is probably interesting for five minutes. Unless you can spin it really fast and it has dual use as a fan.

I imagine demand for the olf one was down to rarity rather than subject.
    Baby_Yodapharmjod
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 568
    I was a bit surprised by the price point, but then I realized all the power functions included and it started to make more sense.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,310
    Actually you could spin it, and it'll produce power for the lights in the cabin... Would be cool if that also charged the battery box ;-)
    snowhitieSwitchfoot55kiki180703AanchirBaby_Yoda
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,770
    sid3windr said:
    Actually you could spin it, and it'll produce power for the lights in the cabin... Would be cool if that also charged the battery box ;-)
    I'd love that, or maybe you could hook it up to your heating for when Belgium gets in trouble with electricy ;)
    stluxsid3windrSwitchfoot55kiki180703Baby_YodaSumoLego
    Let's not forget about #7747. This set would be a great accompaniment set.
    SumoLego
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,178
      I bricklinked parts for about 10 of those Wind turbines from #7747
    sid3windrSumoLego
      I bricklinked parts for about 10 of those Wind turbines from #7747
    See @CCC? People love windmills :)
    Baby_YodaSumoLego
  • PmhPmh netherlandsMember Posts: 124
    edited October 2018

This is a nice set but the price is ridiculous. The Saturn Apollo,which is arguably far more impressive,did cost 130. And then this should be 180?

Also not sure why they did include a power function,maybe make it suited for a power function without it having to come with the set.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,712
    Pmh said:

This is a nice set but the price is ridiculous. The Saturn Apollo,which is arguably far more impressive,did cost 130. And then this should be 180?

Also not sure why they did include a power function,maybe make it suited for a power function without it having to come with the set.

The main reason to include Power Functions is to enable it to literally generate power. Not through wind energy, since I doubt brick-built blades positioned so low would catch any meaningful amount of wind, particularly indoors, but if you manually spin the rotors then it will illuminate the Power Functions lights inside the house. This suits the original set's role as a Vestas employee gift since it literally demonstrates the service their company provides (not just building giant pinwheels, but building something that helps people power their homes and businesses). If the set did not have Power Functions, then there'd be no point including house, since there would be nothing connecting it either physically or conceptually with the windmill.

While the battery box is not necessary for the power-generating function and can't really store the power created (dang, wouldn't it be awesome if it could, though?), I suspect that's to make the lights and movement part of the set's display value rather than just its play value. Whether you have the set on a shelf or as part of a larger layout the powered lights and spinning blades give it more appeal than it would have as just a static sculpture.

Of course, that's all in reference to the original. For the re-release, there's the added factor of just staying as authentic as possible to the original set save for branding updates and minor part substitutions.
    pharmjodgmonkey76kiki180703Astrobrickssid3windrLyichir
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    So glad this is being re released!  I’ve had the past thoughts of picking this up mostly just due to how much it reminds me of Europe but never could justify the price.  I’ll take this!
  • windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 27
    I bought one of these as I had some gift vouchers.  First of all, it's much bigger than I thought, it's a very imposing model and it does look great.

The small cottage reminded me of those small houses Lego used to make in the 1980s - similar in style.  It was a nice bit of nostalgia.

Anyway, the reason for my post is some of the building techniques are not what I'd call robust, but have not been mentioned on any of the main fan sites.

The housing for the motor on top of the pole is a flimsy design. The sides only have connections at the front half meaning they are visibly detached at the back. The top which is where the rear hatch is attached to, is also connected at the front half only so collapses into the housing with only a slight bit pressure - securing a minifig onto the top back for example requires you to open the hatch and hold the top from underneath.  There is a technic pin to prevent rotating the turbine 360 degrees, but again doslodges too easily.

The weight on the baseplate is mainly at the back (the turbine) so the baseplate bends a bit too much when lifting.  It is best lifted using the pole, actually it has a very secure connection to the base.

Finally!  The wiring through the kitchen for the front lights is hidden marvellously.

So yes, it looks tremendous but the fly in he ointment is the motor housing which isn't up the excellent engineering standards we usually see in Lego sets.
    BumblepantsomniumSeanTheCollectorgmonkey76kiki180703
  • nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 46
    edited December 2018
    Wife let me purchase this for Christmas (she's making me wait until then to open/assemble it too). Unfortunately, this is what the box looked like when I opened the shipment today.

Had to be like this before it was packaged as the outer box was entirely undamaged.

LEGOFan2
    ^ Just some random axe-play at the warehouse. Nothing to worry about I’m sure.
    Brainsluggedgmonkey76kiki180703Baby_Yodasid3windrCyberdragonJBricks27LEGOFan2