Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO fight Against Chinese counterfeit LEGO

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,505
    Arsenic tastes great on thin crackers with cheese.
    Pitfall69gmonkey76SprinkleOtter
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,309
    SumoLego said:
    I'm sure the very high quality control standards from the manufacturer will ensure their safety.

(Asbestos, Lead Paint, Phthalates...)
    Ya know, I hear the Romans used lead to sweeten their wine...
    It also sweetens our whine ;)
    SumoLegopharmjodSprinkleOtter
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 325
    SumoLego said:
    I'm sure the very high quality control standards from the manufacturer will ensure their safety.

(Asbestos, Lead Paint, Phthalates...)
    Wesa allsa gonna die!!!!
  • GmanGman AlaskaMember Posts: 77

NEVER buy Chinese Lego knock offs.

But ALWAYS buy Chinese off brand Nerf compatible darts! (Especially waffle head ones)

Am I right?

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    alaskaguy said:
    SNIP
    The baseplate is HIGHER QUALITY than an "original", based on initial inspection. It is thicker, so it flexes less. It is the same size - so it fits into my Lego table
    SNIP

How much thicker is thicker?
    Well, I didn't put calipers on it.  But when I am in the garage later, I'll dig them out and check.  Probably need to buy a battery for them first though.  We'll see.
    Just a follow up...the difference in thickness is very slight - but whether it is the thickness difference, or a material composition difference, there is a significant difference in flexibility and weight.  The Duplo one weighs 8.8 ounces, and the non-Duplo one weighs 12.8 ounces - and they're the same size.
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    alaskaguy said:
    Well, I didn't put calipers on it.  But when I am in the garage later, I'll dig them out and check.  Probably need to buy a battery for them first though.  We'll see.
    AliExpress are doing battery-operated baseplates now? :-O

(I know, I know... it's the calipers)
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 364
    alaskaguy said:
    Just a follow up...the difference in thickness is very slight - but whether it is the thickness difference, or a material composition difference, there is a significant difference in flexibility and weight.  The Duplo one weighs 8.8 ounces, and the non-Duplo one weighs 12.8 ounces - and they're the same size.
    The additional weight and stiffness would be the added cadmium and lead...XD
    datsunrobbieSprinkleOtterSumoLegodavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yoda
    The additional weight and stiffness would be the added cadmium and lead...XD
    Wesa allsa gonna die!!!!
    Sorry @alaskaguy, I should have known we were talking Duplo  makes sense now that a small change in thickness is super critical. I was imagining a slightly thicker system base plate and all sorts of alignment issues when you tried to build on it.
    It's OK (:

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,309
    It has been reported that the baseplates for the Lepin Modulars were also thicker than the Lego version. 
    Pitfall69 said:
    It has been reported that the baseplates for the Lepin Modulars were also thicker than the Lego version. 
    Maybe the cheap plastic is weaker so it has to be thicker to prevent snapping.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 778
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yeah, they are. I have the Lepin Taj (long before they announced the re-release so I'm now kicking myself) and they come with thicker baseplates.
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 251
    I've bought transparent baseplates in Aliexpress and not only are they thicker than LEGO baseplates but you can fit both regular and DUPLO bricks in the bottom. It's pretty handy. 
    ^ That enstills a lot of confidence in the quality of the product.
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsSprinkleOtterdavetheoxygenmanandhemafon
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,089
    What... went through their mind when they did that...?
    VorpalRyuSprinkleOtterdavetheoxygenman
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,709
    edited August 2018
    Baby_Yoda said:
    What... went through their mind when they did that...?

Jern92Baby_Yodabandit778davetheoxygenmangmonkey76CyberdragonPitfall69
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    The sellers have to be creative because they can't use images from Lego anymore. (At least if they don't want to risk an easy take-down.)

TLG has greatly contained the impact of clone bricks, at least in the west by using a few strategies: confiscation by Customs, TaoBao export ban and one very surprising one: being "faster" than the cloners can keep up.

A year ago, it looked like Lepin would clone every Lego set, past, present and future. They have since scaled back. I only see a few new sets from them. The reason? New molds.

(But then again, I could be looking at the wrong sellers. This is purely my guess.)

OTOH, Lepin has produced larger sets of its own design. Some are pretty nice. There is a modular school where you can buy various sets to make it into a campus.
  • LEGOMAD73LEGOMAD73 STAFFORDSHIREMember Posts: 146
    edited August 2018

someone was saying no images ???

'Streetview'... that's a curious descriptive term.
  • nhyonenhyone Member Posts: 145
    edited August 2018
    LEGOMAD73 said:

Ever since TLG won the Chinese court case in Dec 2017, most sellers are cautious about using Lego's images. Obviously not everyone got the memo. :-D

The box art is still exact replica, from what I see.
    Jern92
    nhyone said:
    LEGOMAD73 said:

Ever since TLG won the Chinese court case in Dec 2017, most sellers are cautious about using Lego's images. Obviously not everyone got the memo. :-D

Is there any way to report a listing as a violation?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    nhyone said:
    LEGOMAD73 said:

Is there any way to report a listing as a violation?
    I don't think so. It is LEGO's job to police it and ask for take downs.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,849
    Yeah. I'm not wasting my time tilting at windmills. LEGO is the biggest toy company in the world. They can sort it out.
    BumblepantsUmandraugBaby_YodaRecceSumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 458
    nhyone said:
    OTOH, Lepin has produced larger sets of its own design. Some are pretty nice. There is a modular school where you can buy various sets to make it into a campus.
    It may vary from set to set, but people in this thread found that Lepin were taking builders' designs from places like the Rebrickable MOC Marketplace and ripping those off. IIRC the designers were contacted but Lepin would put them out whether the designer was into the idea or not. Although both this and copying LEGO's designs are morally shady, this one really didn't sit right for me.
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if the same people who want to contact Lego or whomever contact the appropriate media company every time they come across a graphic, video, music file or other thing they come across that does not appear to be appropriately attributed and/or licensed.
    jnscoelhoUmandraug
    ^ They probably would, if the content stealer was ripping off years of hard work and making (apparently) huge profits from it.
    So it's OK to steal as long as you don't profit from it?
    And sometimes it is OK to profit from it too ...

VorpalRyuSumoLegogmonkey76Jern92Boomstickmafon
    Treading into some meme territory...
    VorpalRyudavetheoxygenman

Looks like the result is in, and LEGO have both won and lost.

$2.2M damages for copyright infringement but Lepin continue selling sets without using LEGO's artwork.

FowlerBricksmadforLEGO
    From the BrickFan story:
    "In addition to the monetary compensation to LEGO, Lepin cannot use other LEGO trademarked themes such as Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights."

Whew - STAR WNRS sets are safe!

And that's a Pyrrhic victory.  What's a Chima?
    SprinkleOtter
  • gantaratgantarat bangkok,thailandMember Posts: 35
    edited September 2018
    So like Bela case ?
    That Lepin can't use logo,artwork and package design similar to lego ?
    according to lego ambassador The Case still on the Court not final verdict yet.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,118
    In Greece, so plenty of clone (mostly Cobi) and fake Lego (LEBQ seems "popular") around. Space Baby is one I hadn't seen yet:

They seem to mostly clone maxi figs of Super Heroes, Nexo Knights and City. Also saw a Bionicle one.
    Priced at EUR 5.50, they're not even value-for-money...

CCCFowlerBricksSumoLegobandit778
    So, I guess this would be considered a 'LEGO'?

stluxbandit778davetheoxygenmanBaby_YodaSprinkleOtter
    Wonder if Kohl's have any...
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    'Streetview'... that's a curious descriptive term.
    One wonders if they simply decided that TLG wasn’t a big enough bear to poke, or someone in their marketing department thought the little yellow dude you drag across the map was a minifigure?
    dmcc0
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    12000 pieces (allegedly) and 90 cm tall - $400

Is this someones moc?

More pictures of that mech here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

So yeah, Lepin ripping off a MOC designer instead of TLG. And of course Bandai, creator and owner of the Gundam IP.
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 879
    10kg for the model alone! 
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,849
    No instructions are available for that Gundam mech though right? That would be a pretty impressive job of reverse engineering.
    stlux said:
    More pictures of that mech here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

So yeah, Lepin ripping off a MOC designer instead of TLG. And of course Bandai, creator and owner of the Gundam IP.

Sunrise is creator and owner of the Gundam IP.

Bandai just have license right to make toys and games

Idk bandai can sue them like dragon momoko since it's a brick not plamo.
    Also model look complex as hell idk lepin can reverse engineer it from pic only.
    Maybe final product will look different or cancel it.
    @gantarat Sunrise has been a 100% subsidiary of Bandai since 1994, so for all intents and purposes, Gundam is a Bandai IP.
    bgl_84Aanchir