Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10263 Winter Village 2018

Comments

• LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 975
    iso3200 said:

I did think I might skate loosely around more details, but didn’t want it towering over my conscience.

In retro spect, maybe I shouldn’t have posted at all, but as Henry Adams once wrote, “All experience is an arch, to build upon”.

And this must have taken some thought to summarise in so few words. Great job!
  • Turlough_1Turlough_1 United KingdomMember Posts: 19
    edited September 2018
    Gosh, it looks a bit small, doesn't it! Pretty, though. And it suggest from the right that it might go back a bit further. We've had people sitting on a park bench, mind you. But, I like the front design of the station.
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 517
    Think there is an engine; look really closely to the far right. Do like it, but Will probably change it into something else and keep Mouseketeers’ station
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,261
    Oh I actually kinda like it. Looks like a more oldtimey downtown sort of building. Might consider getting it even though I am not a winter village collector.
    Onebricktoomany
  • amokamok Istanbul, TurkeyMember Posts: 45
    Full box picture on instagram: chilis_no
    SeanTheCollectorBaby_Yoda
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 429
    What's the blue thing on the left? A "steerable winter skateboard"?
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 624
    edited September 2018
    Box art makes the fire engine look like something from Disney's 'Cars'. Seems to have eyes. Honestly nothing in that set that appeals, based on the box art. Doesn't fit with the rest of the theme at all. I thought I'd be grateful for anything that wasn't a re-release of previous sets, but sadly wrong.
    Pebbles
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,960
    Huh. I do not know yet if I will get this, and I have every set (not the re-release) in this line.

I want to see the building from all angles. I can see some items I like, and specific items I do not.  I think I just like the overall look and feel of Mousketeer’s better for this theme.

• WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 72
    I am not going to look at the leaked image. I’m disappointed to hear that others aren’t liking what they see and am preparing myself to feel the same although hoping I feel differently.  I promised the kids we would all look at the reveal together, which means waiting until we wake up for school, exactly 7 hours after the official reveal!
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 864
    edited September 2018
    instagram Bnfo7b9n30t

Edit: sorry didn't know forum had magicode for Instagram.
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 646
    I don't get all the hate this set is getting... I get that it doesn't entirely fit with the other Winter Village buildings, but it stands out in my opinion and I love the dark red! I'm happy they didn't go with regular red for the entire building! I think it's a cute set and I can't wait to get my hands on it! 
    OnebricktoomanyBumblepantsstluxkiki180703
    edited September 2018
    (plus: baby figure with dark green body!)
    Edit: Oh, and it looks like they're finally using the scarf piece from the Ninjago Movie for this theme!
    Onebricktoomany
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 517
    Shame they didnt recolour the grey arch, or make use of some more LBG. Really stands out now.
    Bumblepants
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 292
    I like it!  Probably will get two to extend the building...  not sure why I see "the Alamo " when looking at the station, :)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,294
    I don’t  understand the comments saying it doesn’t fit the theme, I couldn’t see anything that doesn’t fit.

its quite striking that it doesn’t have sloped roofing but I grew up in a small village and massively varying architecture styles were the norm.

Im certainly glad to see the light brick back as well, the WV sets that didn’t have them felt out of place to me.
    OnebricktoomanyBumblepantsstluxkiki180703BrickchapBaby_Yoda
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,613
    I'd like to see the top of the building, see what that looks like. I'm not sure whether I like it not having a sloping roof or not.

The tree... does not look great.
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 292
    milamber said:
    Box art makes the fire engine look like something from Disney's 'Cars'. Seems to have eyes. Honestly nothing in that set that appeals, based on the box art. Doesn't fit with the rest of the theme at all. I thought I'd be grateful for anything that wasn't a re-release of previous sets, but sadly wrong.
    Not sure what decade designers are going for but most of the fire trucks from the 30's & 40's appeared to have  "eyes" on their fronts.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 373
    Has the designer never seen a tree before?

sid3windrBaby_Yoda
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    MrJackson said:
    Has the designer never seen a tree before?

No idea but it's a very poor design for an official set. I much prefer the large tree from the toy shop, now that was a proper Christmas tree. Even this pre-built tree looks better in my opinion.

sid3windrLittleLori
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,094
    It's visually a nice looking little set with some very nice touches and I really like the gold fire helmets.
    The only minor negative for me is it seems to be suffering  from the same issue as the train station in that compared to what's come before, it seems quite a small main build. 
    Baby_Yoda
    Official promotional video seems to be up now 
    The light brick seems to be at the top of the building. Nice to see the fireman's pole. 
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,548
    ^I doubt that is an official video. Looks like someone took official photos, and put them to crappy music. 
    I was wrong about the baby: it's a teal one! I wonder why LEGO first did the neckless baby head, after that they made an updated baby head with neck, and now it's neckless once again...? What's up with that? 
    Good to see the back of the box - bit thin building, but ooodles of character. 
    edited September 2018
    Yes, this looks more detailed. 
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 624
    Honestly I can't see a single redeeming feature in the whole set. The fire engine is awful. People complained about the bus in last year's station, but that was way better than this. The building isn't too bad, I guess, if it was a Creator 3 in 1, but it's far too shallow and doesn't suit the theme.

Looks like someone took a City set, added a few marginally festive features and said that will do.

I doubt I'd buy it at half price. At least it gives me the push to MOC something this year instead of buying a set.

LuLego
  • terfstenterfsten West VirginiaMember Posts: 290
    I was extremely skeptical about a "winter village fire station." However, upon seeing the official photos I believe this to be one of the better winter village sets that they have made. I'm really impressed!
    Bumblepants
  • LegoPrincessLegoPrincess United StatesMember Posts: 14
    I have to admit... if I had to choose between Mousketeers fire station, and the official release, I'd jump on Mouseketeers. 
    the set looks grand, sure... Not sure how it will scale with the others. I think about the Post office and other original sets and this in my mind would almost feel like a town hall among them. I do like the fountain, the light post (nothing new, but you can never have too many of those), the car - and ok, the baby is totally adorbs in the christmas outfit! But the fire station itself... the roof feels all wrong for the winter village... and its just soooooo red. Maybe cause it looks big...
    but its style... I just don't see how it fits with the rest of the sets in the winter village. It looks like its from another architectural period. 
    I know there was a deviation with the Santa's north pole set - but that's understandable... its not going to be something you stick right in the middle of your winter village! Kind of a magical kingdom on it's own...
    but this... as a separate set, sure I would love it... its the cutest firestation Lego has ever done... but does it really fit with the theme....? ... I feel like its out of place....
    LuLegobrickventures
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,818
    CM4S said:
    Best WV set to date! It looks way better than I thought it'd be, a real step up for the WV sets. Well done to whoever designed it.
    I agree that this is well designed, but it is a bit of an odd choice for WV.  Looks more like a Creator 3/1 building.  
    tamamahmLuLegoBrainsluggedBaby_Yoda
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 707
    flord said:
    Ugh. I guess this means another classic fire truck. But, will it include a Dalmatian?
    Check and check. Also Christmas trees are becoming the new Helicopter. I have so many of them.
    PapaBearsid3windrBaby_Yoda
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,621
    Oh boy, another fire house. I think that there are some nice parts in this set though, including the shields which appear to either be two colors or have a silver sheen to them, and the baby torso with the reindeer sweater on.
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,339
    LOL this is way better than any 3-in-1 or City building. This is what they SHOULD be rather than what we get.
    wardmBumblepantsstluxgmonkey76Brickchap
    My favorite piece in the entire set ... baby's Christmas reindeer sweater :) And the baby itself. I might buy the set just for the baby lol
    My favorite piece in the entire set ... baby's Christmas reindeer sweater :) And the baby itself. I might buy the set just for the baby lol
    I'll be stocking up on a few of those jumpers, it's a shame there aren't more festive style jumpers for the adults as well. :)
  • ToymakerToymaker Member Posts: 19
    It looks remarkably similar to this Department 56 firehouse (as I suggested it could be last week).

I think this model is related to the Disney film 101 Dalmatians, hence the dalmatian appearing in the set, which is a nice touch (even if a husky would have been more wintry!)
    Toymaker said:

I think this model is related to the Disney film 101 Dalmatians, hence the dalmatian appearing in the set, which is a nice touch (even if a husky would have been more wintry!)
    I think it's more to do with the history of dalmatians and fire stations, they used to run in front of the fire engines barking to make people move out of the way. Most of the Lego City fire stations come with a dalmatian. :)
    maaaaaaaAstrobricksstluxgmonkey76Lyichirsid3windr
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,802
    Literally the one morning I have zero time to look over pictures and the videos! AHHHHH!

My initial impression is that I really like it. Hopefully I can find some time sooner than later today to review it a bit more. 
    shows more than just photos, with actual set

thedingman5
    edited September 2018
    Yes. Sometimes there seems to be no roof (or ceiling) to the fire station, but there is definitely one on that video on youtube. 
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,909
    I love it and I'll buy it. I might substitute the fire engine from either the Fire Brigade or the Brick City Depot custom.
    Brickchap
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 474
    Looks great to me, i like the fact that its a bit different from the other winter village sets as it was all starting to look a bit bland. Certainly not sold on the engine and the tree is dreadful, it almost looks like they had to find a new way to make a christmas tree and all the good ones were already taken. 
    Turlough_1Bumblepants
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 291
    I'm quite disappointed in this. Nothing about this screams Winter "Village", more Winter City. I think it'll look out of place among the rest of the line.
    LegoPrincessPapaBearoldtodd33madforLEGOPebbles
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 975
    I agree with @SumoLego who agrees with @CM4S.

Nicely made, but...
    Does the winter village actually need a fire station? I suppose my winter village toy shop has been gathering dust so potentially the brick light could catch fire and set the winter cottage next door ablaze. Or the winter village baker could forget to take out the baguette from the oven which could cause a raging inferno. I’d regret not having a winter village fire station then. 

At least it’s not a winter village police station.
    Yeah, I like it - on the video, it actually looks a lot wider than it seems from the photos. Well, not that wide, but it looks lovely. I think they are definitely pulling back from giving us 100%, but it looks fine. Beautiful sculpt on the front. Nice bits, plus a pole and other little elements. 
    Onebricktoomany
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 453
    Definitely a sure thing for me. Hopefully it wont be excluded in the double VIP points promotion in Oct.
    Onebricktoomany
  • WhiteDoveWhiteDove AustraliaMember Posts: 72
    I really like it!  I was wondering why people feel it doesn't fit with previous buildings.  I guess it is because it is built from stone and bricks, not wood, and has a flat roof.  I do agree that a real village is likely to have differing architecture, and variety doesn't bother me at all.  In villages that get heavy snowfalls throughout winter, do they really build buildings with flat roofs though?  I guess, being built with bricks means the building would be strong enough to hold the extra weight of that thick layer of snow.  

I am really pleased with the overall look of it.  I love the idea and all the different suggestions of how the firemen contribute to village life without there being any actual fires.  The little skating pond is pretty with the swirly decorations.  The baby is gorgeous!!!  Glad to see the scarf has reappeared (though was hoping for a different colour).  I should never have purchased more of that brown winter jumper though after it appeared in the Fun in the Park set because now loads of people will be wearing it in my winter village!!

I am very happy with this set and look forward to adding it to my winter village.
    OnebricktoomanyBrickchapTurlough_1stluxBaby_Yoda
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,548
    WhiteDove said:
     In villages that get heavy snowfalls throughout winter, do they really build buildings with flat roofs though?  I guess, being built with bricks means the building would be strong enough to hold the extra weight of that thick layer of snow.  
    I live in Chicago and we do get heavy snowfalls now, and then. I know our neighbors to the north get more then us, but I can only comment on what I see. There are many "flat" roof buildings here. 99% are brick built, and unless they are very old or unmaintained they work just fine with normal snowfall.
    OnebricktoomanyWhiteDove