Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Bendybadger's Brickset Bonus Ball, catwrangler edition

catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
Hey hey, this week we have a fantastic mystery prize (I'm going to give you a clue and reveal that it's Lego), and all you have to do is post with the answer to the following question. 

Other than Lego, what thing from your childhood have you rediscovered a love for? And for people who never had a Dark Age: what childhood thing other than Lego have you never fallen out of love with?

(What prompted this? Marshmallows. Lovely, lovely marshmallows. Never mind your high-falutin' salted caramel 75% cocoa chocolates, I've gone back to the first sweets I can ever remember buying with my pocket money...)

In case you're new, it works like this: the first 59 answers go into a numbered list, and then we wait for Saturday night's UK lottery draw. The Bricksetter whose number corresponds to the lottery bonus ball is the winner. For that reason, please don't make double posts - it's not your A-levels so don't worry about correcting mistakes or anything!
SumoLegoBumblepantsGibbo1959snowhitieMr_CrossSeijiAmasawabandit778kiki180703Lego_StarKerrestluxToc13GothamConstructionCoeanairsukhCOOLEGOMAGNINOMINISUMBRAOnebricktoomanySwitchfoot55

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,173
    edited August 2018
    First?  Wow!

I have to admit that the new run of Voltron on Netflix got me to dust off the old, crude DVDs burned from VHS tapes and rewatch a few of the original episodes.  (They're really not that good, but who really cares.)
    BumblepantsSeijiAmasawakiki180703stluxsnowhitiecatwranglerOnebricktoomany
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,886
    I've never fallen out of love with origami. It was probably a bigger love than LEGO when I was a kid.
    SumoLegoBumblepantsSeijiAmasawakiki180703stluxcatwranglerOnebricktoomany
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 830
    I used to love X-Men/Marvel as a child.  All the marvel movies including original spiderman trilogy and the X-Men movies but especially the 1st iron man movie got me back into it.  It helps that being a comic nerd is socially acceptable now too.  This was actually a gateway for me in getting back to Lego as I saw the wolverine series next to a batman one and realized they can finally battle each other, at nbn least in lego form.  I could have never imagined this as a child.  This has also gotten me into the 6in marvel legends figures that I tell my wife are for my sons.
    catwranglerSumoLegoOnebricktoomany
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 938
    Street Hawk and the A-Team.
    Saturday afternoon quality TV.
    Lego_StarGothamConstructionCocatwranglerSumoLegokiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 716
    I am a Star Wars child,and all the crap that went with it.
    catwranglerSumoLegoOnebricktoomany
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 355
    Sugary breakfast cereals!
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 635
    Pixar, never fallen out of love with it since I saw Cars in theaters in 2006
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 288
    Thanks @catwrangler for me it would have to be books that I’ve never lost the love for and in particular sci-fi. Just love reading for the different stories and escapism.
    snowhitiecatwranglerSumoLegoOnebricktoomany
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,878
    I got to say books. As a kid and teenager my nose would be in one almost all of the time. Had less time to read in uni (never really stopped though) but still love it. Even though I've moved on to audiobooks since holding up fysical books isn't possible for me anymore.

Thanks @catwrangler for posting, think I might have a couple of marshmallows after dinner too now ;)
    SeijiAmasawaSumoLegoLego_StarstluxcatwranglerGibbo1959kiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 200
    Comics, American and British have always been a big part in my life, and has had a massive effect on my Lego buying over the years
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,646
    Now having kids, it seems like I randomly rediscover items or memories from my childhood on a pretty frequent basis. It's why I rediscovered Lego!

That said, there are certain books that I can remember being my absolute favorite as a kid that I'd long since forgotten about. I recently attended a book fair at my son's school and saw a shelf with many of those books. I went a little overboard on buying that night, but have loved every night since! Getting a chance to reread the stories that helped shape my mind, and then seeing my son falling in love with those same stories. It's been pretty special!
    SeijiAmasawamak0137snowhitiestluxcatwranglerkiki180703Onebricktoomanymsanders
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Creating things with fabric and thread.  Whether sewing or needlework, having either in my hand makes today a wonderful day!
    SeijiAmasawacatwranglerSumoLego
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,941
    Reading for pleasure. I fell out of reading at University with so much to read required but getting to pick makes it fun again.
    SeijiAmasawaLego_StarcatwranglerSumoLegoGibbo1959kiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 298
    I guess I would say Atari games. Not much of a gamer, but remember getting the 2600 for Christmas and playing frogger and maze craze and combat. Got one of the flashback machines a few years ago, and still like those games. 
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 218
    Nintendo 
    I don’t always game(maybe 70% of the time) but when I do it’s Nintendo.
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 391
    Club biscuits - especially the fruit ones!
    catwranglerGibbo1959
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,039
    Oreos!
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 540
    Gotta say board, table top, and video games. I was an avid gamer in my youth, but I went through quite a period where I didn't play any games, not even video games. Eventually my kids got curious about all that stuff I had in storage, I dusted it off and we've been gaming ever since!
    Lego_StarToc13catwranglerSumoLegokiki180703
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 730
    My kids discovered my Mighty Max collection.  Now I'm looking up stuff on ebay for kicks...wow do childhood toys go for some money...not that ANY of us HERE would know that...nooo....(sarcasm)  ;)
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,019
    edited August 2018
    Top Trumps

Also a couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new (old stock) box of Linka. Great stuff, although it makes me swear a lot. 
    catwranglerSumoLego
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Radishes. Had braces for 2 years and wasn’t able to eat any crunchy vegetables. Now I’m addicted to them. 
    Switchfoot55snowhitieToc13BumblepantsSumoLegocatwranglerkiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    edited August 2018
    Just since last week, Superman, or should I say Superman II. Caught the very end of the film and was completely confused as to how exactly Clark kissed Lois Lane and made her forget everything?!? I don't remember that being one of his super powers! X ray vision, super speed yada yada yada but memory loss? So now I have to watch all the Christopher Reeve Superman movies again to make sense of it! Lol. Thing of it is, now that I think about it, I've always liked the Superman story, those films, Adventures of Lois & Clark, Smallville...hmmm.

Other than that board games and books for sure! :o)
    Mr_CrossstluxToc13SumoLegocatwranglerkiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,025
    edited August 2018
    ^ ditto. Superman. I used to watch the George Reeves series before Swap Shop and then Superstore on a saturday morning. Ace.

Chris Reeves is the best Superman though. Had to have a general Zod when they made the LEGO one!

Oh, and the kissing memory loss thing is just dumb. IMO.

Thanks for hosting @catwrangler, great question!
    Lego_StarsnowhitiestluxSumoLegocatwranglerkiki180703Onebricktoomany
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,969
    Have a choice of two really Star Wars and Iron Maiden (or more specifically late 70's early 80's Maiden).
    Star Wars because it was one of the first films i saw at the cinema and it blew me away and started a very long and expensive obsession with the Galaxy Far Far Away and the first 7" single (a single track double sided ipod for all the youngsters on here) I purchased was The Number Of The Beast primarily because I loved the artwork, but after listening to the single, the next purchase was the Album and then everything else they did up until 2000. I didn't really get on with the stuff they released after that but even now, the earlier music still gets played on regular occasions and I enjoy it just as much as I did back then.
    snowhitieLego_StarstluxToc13SumoLegocatwranglerkiki180703OnebricktoomanyMr_Cross
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,640
    Action figures, for sure.
    SumoLegocatwranglerOnebricktoomany
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,853
    Probably Voltron. I got so excited when the new series came out. I now binge every new season as soon as it is released.
    SumoLegocatwranglerSeijiAmasawa
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,170
    Grew up playing Pokémon games and watching the anime. Had a long break but with the release of Pokémon go I’ve rediscovered my love for the franchise. Too bad mega ***** has the license :(
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 461
    G1 Transformers.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 266
    Chocolate milk.
    SumoLegoSwitchfoot55Mr_CrosscatwranglerOnebricktoomanykiki180703
  • SirBrickalotOfLegoSirBrickalotOfLego WalesMember Posts: 413
    Star Wars, in fact my love has only increased over time!
    snowhitieLego_StarMr_CrossSumoLegocatwrangler
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 379
    I tend to "cycle" my favourite things. I remember a few years ago I got a Thunderbirds kick and dragged out the old VHSs. Star Wars, fell by the wayside and is now back. Harry Potter is making a come-back due to Fantastic Beasts. Star Trek I'm probably going to cycle back to soon (Mega***** licence, damnit).
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • KerreKerre In a bar, under the sea.Member Posts: 411
    Everything remotely space related, both space travel and astronomy. Devoured books about space programs and history as well as popular science books like Carl Sagan's Cosmos as a child.

Not being strong enough in math meant I'd never be able to pursue a career in aerospace engineering or astronomy - let alone astrophysics. But hey, I get to live in time where there's Kerbal Space Program!
    stluxsid3windrSumoLegocatwranglerGibbo1959kiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,238
    Pokemon. Had a single generation of the games length dark age before playing them again ;-)
    SumoLego
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,491
    Comics. Especially horror comics.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 42
    It has to be airplane models... liked to play back then and now to display!
    SumoLegoOnebricktoomany
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,337
    I've been collecting Transformers since I was kid.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,238
    Comics, the Franco-Belgian type. Never really stopped buying them, so that collection is currently actually still larger than my Lego collection. Less volume though (at least a bit), so they're OK in a smaller room than the Lego room...
    SumoLegocatwranglerOnebricktoomanysnowhitie
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,054
    I've never lost my love of board & card gaming.
    From as far back as i can remember (ish), I've been playing some game or other. 
    Sometimes not much, other times it's been several times a week with a tournament at the weekend.
    Most of it now is of the HABA variety but my eldest is good at Love Letter, Sushi Go!, King of Tokyo & the like & I've just started them on HeroKids RPG
    SumoLegocatwranglerOnebricktoomanymak0137
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2018
    Playing music maybe, used to play the piano but quit that 15+ years ago - now just this week bought an electric guitar after borrowing one from a colleague/friend for a month, after I bought Rocksmith 2014 on the Steam sales :-)
    alldarkerSumoLegocatwranglerGibbo1959kiki180703snowhitie
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 271
    Ninja Turtles, partly due to LEGO, partly due to having kids...
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 291
    Boardgames! My oldest son loves playing them so I'm also back in the games...a pity you almost can't find any HeroQuest anymore. :-(
    SumoLegocatwranglerToc13Onebricktoomanykiki180703snowhitieFowlerBricksmak0137
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,516
    Computers, i enjoyed learning about them by trial and error when i was younger, i've enrolled on a few Udemy courses to do more programming again when I have time.
    SumoLego
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 558
    Airfix models- never any good at them but I love building stuff, especially airplanes!
    SumoLegocatwranglerstlux
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 417
    Computers, always had an interest in them and now it's my job!
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 221
    edited August 2018
    Firstly Transformers, during my college years, when Beast Wars happened. Loved them in 1984-1986, then fell out of love with them, but BW dragged me back in hard!
    And secondly playing electric guitar again. My two-year old son loves music and dancing, and I’d love for him to become musically inclined. So I’m playing again, hopefully becoming better AND inspiring him.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • eanaireanair IrelandMember Posts: 146
    Pancakes. My auntie Pauline always made pancakes for us on Sunday evening - once a week I make pancakes for my kids (and me) too!  

SumoLegocatwranglerSeijiAmasawaBumblepantssnowhitiestluxGothamConstructionCo
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,472
    Movies and tv shows. Never out grew them, but since I've been stuck working nights I've watched a lot them to pass the time.
    SumoLegocatwrangler
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113
    Transformers and Saturday morning cartoons.
    SumoLegocatwranglerdavetheoxygenman
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    Reading
    SumoLegocatwranglerOnebricktoomanyFowlerBricks