Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• parkerwilsonparkerwilson Member Posts: 142
    I actually parted out my Death Star after building it, sold the model in one auction and sold the minifigures in another auction. I got $160 for the figures and $265 for the model, so that should tell you that even used its worth close to RRP right now, if you get creative. Why I sold it is another story
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Here's what you also need to consider with 10198 - those eBay listings you're looking at that sold over RRP all offer international shipping. $230 USD... even after hefty shipping is factored in... is a veritable bargain to someone in Australia.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    It never ceases to amaze me that some people make ebay their "one-stop-shop". For example, 10198 can still be purchased at Amazon for rrp w/ free shipping, but there have recently been a number of sales on ebay ranging from $170-$220 (shipping included). However, I realize not everyone may be aware of Amazon Lego.
    Amazon does not ship LEGO internationally.

• 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    ^Exactly, everyone would have thought it crazy a year ago to open an UCS Falcon... oh the loss in value etc etc, but now a year down the road, an open UCS Falcon goes for $1400+ .....
  • FatMattFatMatt USMember Posts: 502
    edited March 2012
    ^^I understand this, but if you read the shipping details of some of these items, the sellers do not ship internationally, so they are being bought in the US. I do my homework:)
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited March 2012
    Maybe I'm not understanding you comment, but I just purchased and received a box of Legos from France through Amazon. It was a great deal too...
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71

Maybe I'm not understanding you comment, but I just purchased and received a box of Legos from France through Amazon. It was a great deal too...
    Not *everything* on Amazon will be shipped internationally.
    A massive frustration
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,382
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the Robbie House #10220? I know it's the highest priced architecture set, so does that mean it's collect-ability (long term) will be greater considering more people will be hesitant to buy it while it's available now? I know people want to complete their themes, I assume architecture is no different. I have the Robbie House right now, picked it up in a lot, and am deciding whether to sell it or not. Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Sam
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^^Hard to say concerning the Architecture series. I will say that the Farnsworth House was the first "new" Lego set I bought after coming out of my dark ages. I haven't been terribly interested in the other sets because they are expensive. I think if you have the box and manual you'll be able to get more for it down the road.
  • SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 29
    Yeah, It seems I never read much about the architecture series when I read about collecting or investing. But I would like Falling Waters. They seem to be over priced if you take the price per piece in the series. Thoughts?
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    edited March 2012
    I think that it's a very niche subset of LEGO and the future value of these initial sets will largely depend on how much the theme grows and attracts new fans over the years.

I have no idea how they've collectively done, sales-wise. I guess the fact that the new Opera House was just released means they're doing at least "ok"?

They do nothing for me, personally. I can't imagine a build seeming more exhausting than the Robie House, from looking at the pics and instructions.
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    seems rather strange that I can buy a Unimog or other large sets from Amazon.FR and not Amazon.com (I am in Canada) cheaper shipping, better prices etc when they have sales than I can find on Amazon.CA! Oh well, with all the info on sales on this site and others, you can always find a deal, and a deal, and another deal.....aaaah have to stop!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The Whitehouse is iconic and looks great finished. At $50, I think it has a lot of room to grow after EOL. Not so much for Robie House, less iconic and much more expensive RRP
  • SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 29
    The Whitehouse is iconic and looks great finished. At $50, I think it has a lot of room to grow after EOL. Not so much for Robie House, less iconic and much more expensive RRP
    I also picked up the Whitehouse, got it for $45 off of Amazon. I like the Space Needle also and have seen it sold out on [email protected] in the past.. Might be a sign?

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^For the Whitehouse, best deal found was Barnes & Noble in-store, where the coupons work plus 10% member discount. You can easily score them at 30% off or better this way since they tend to carry a lot of Architecture. Only catch is 1 set per coupon.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Amazon U.S. does not ship LEGO internationally.

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^The ship SELECTED sets to Canada.
  • effalconeffalcon Member Posts: 71
    and to other parts of the world, i've deffinately purchased sets to Australia from Amazon US, although only certain sets.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Amazon U.S. does not ship LEGO internationally.
    Got it...
  • sherwinlsherwinl Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2012

Certain sets do ship internationally from Amazon US.
    Took a week for the police station & fire brigade modular to arrive here in Singapore.

On another note, B&N has the discontinued King's Castle back in stock.
  • brclark82brclark82 Member Posts: 217
    Hey thanks for the heads up @sherwini, just got the kings castle! Just about pulled the trigger on this on bricklink and eBay for 150+ a couple different times.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Just had a look at the new catalogue. MMV, Fire Brigade, the Motorized Excavator (8043) are no longer in it, however, 10188 Death Star is still there taking up 3/4 of a page as mentioned earlier I believe.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,013
    stephenVW: Where are you from? I got a UK catalogue about a week ago and the 10188 Death Star and 10212 Imperial Shuttle aren't in it.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^ the latest lego catalogue looked like a slimmed down inter-season one. There was loads missing from it. I wouldn't read too much in to it.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    My new US catalog doesn't have Death Star. It also doesn't have Unimog or any trains. Not sure it can be used as a definitive guess for what is discontinuing.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    Things come and go in the catalogue so it doesn't necessarily mean anything . . .
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    I'm from the US.

@richo - My catalogue is 52 pages (counting the back page). I wouldn't think that it is a slimmed down one. And there isn't much missing from it.

@DaddyDeuce - Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm also from the US and mine has both the Death Star and Unimog.
    Hmmm, still trying to get the Burrows from Amazon for $6 :P
    Strange about the catalogues, even differences in the US.

My one guess is that LEGO does market research regarding each region of the US, and then only inserts the pictures of the sets that most appeals to that one area. Located in the Eastern US, I also received a magazine with the Death Star in it. Meanwhile out in California it appears there is none. A company as large as LEGO has obviously done lot's of market research on how to best sell their product, also put into their magazines.

Even with the differences, it appears that Fire Brigade still did not appear in any magazines at all (Am I right on that?), and with the years it's already been on the market I think we can still be expecting a discontinuation somewhat soon.
    Cheers,
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Pacific NW US here - my catalog is 52 pages:
    Front Cover is Xwing/Tie fighter
    2-9 Star Wars, including Death STar
    10-15 Ninjago
    16-17 Forest Fire
    18-19 Forest Police
    20-23 Dino
    24 Easter $5 gift ideas
    25 city vehicles (2) Hero Factory (2)
    26-27 GE, PS, TH and mini modulars
    28 VW Van & Tower Bridge
    29 Joust
    30-31 Creator
    32-35 Friends
    36-37 Duplo
    38 Cars
    39 Order Form
    40 Games
    41 MBA (1 to 6)
    42-43 Architecture
    44-46 Technic, including Unimog
    47 Mindstorms
    48-51 DC Superheroes
    Back Cover - Town Hall again
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Pacific NW US here - my catalog is 52 pages:
    Front Cover is Xwing/Tie fighter
    2-9 Star Wars, including Death STar
    10-15 Ninjago
    16-17 Forest Fire
    18-19 Forest Police
    20-23 Dino
    24 Easter $5 gift ideas
    25 city vehicles (2) Hero Factory (2)
    26-27 GE, PS, TH and mini modulars
    28 VW Van & Tower Bridge
    29 Joust
    30-31 Creator
    32-35 Friends
    36-37 Duplo
    38 Cars
    39 Order Form
    40 Games
    41 MBA (1 to 6)
    42-43 Architecture
    44-46 Technic, including Unimog
    47 Mindstorms
    48-51 DC Superheroes
    Back Cover - Town Hall again
    Is there an echo in here? :)
    Colorado
    Catalog is 40 pages

Front Cover is Xwing/Tie fighter - Says "Spring 2012 Catalog"
    2-7 Star Wars (no Death Star)
    8-13 Ninjago
    14-15 Forest Fire
    16-17 Forest Police
    18-19 Dino
    20-21 GE, PS, TH (no mini modulars)
    22 VW Van & Tower Bridge
    23 Joust
    24-25 Easter $20 gift ideas (including city vehicles (2) & Hero Factory (2))
    26-27 Creator
    28-29 Friends
    30 Duplo, Storage, Bricks & More
    31 Ordering, shipping, customer care (no order form)
    32-33 Architecture
    34 Technic (9391 and 9397 only)
    35 MBA (1 to 6)
    36-39 DC Superheroes
    Back Cover - Town Hall and 10% off coupon
    edited March 2012
    ^^:)
    I can't take it anymore.:)
    Anyone interested in me posting a catalogue by catalogue overeview of my 15+ year collection?
    ^ I was thinking of posting what each of my local Lego stores has on the shelves right now :)
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,776
    ^ Can you do it by height order, so we know what is being targeted at children and what is for adults?
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,918
    ^ I had no idea they arrange sets like that.
    Please sort by the size of the bags inside the boxes. I'm having a hard time finding a definitive list of LEGO bag sizes.
  • pmercikpmercik Member Posts: 55
    I have ordered DS from amazon.es a couple of weeks ago. It was supposed to be available on 8th of March. A couple of days ago i have received email that my order has been cancelled cause "suppliers have no stock of them" (google translate). I wonder if that means that DS is on its way out.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    ^Did you order directly from Amazon and not a third party? They still have the DS in stock right now. The lego stores near me are also full of fire brigades, so I don't think those are leaving yet either.
  • pmercikpmercik Member Posts: 55
    ^Directly from amazon.es. I had a couple of them for sale from to time. Finally, I decided to pull the trigger but might be too late. They were selling them for around 325 Euro including shipping which is by far the lowest price i can get them in my country.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    edited March 2012
    Proof that not all sets rise in value beyond retirement:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4567224-Offroad-Power-5893/dp/B003F80MES/
    Creator Off Road Power - 5893

This set retired at the end of last year, there are tons of copies still below RRP and the rate of sales tell me that won't change for awhile, they are not moving. This surprises me, this set has over 1,000 parts, so I figured it would settle into the $150 range after retirement, but perhaps no one wants it?
    edited March 2012
    Another one:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4539963-Creator-Fire-Rescue/dp/B001USJOFS/
    Creator Fire Rescue - 6752

This one has been retired for over a year now and it is only a few dollars over RRP ($59.99 was original price)
  • Brewer51Brewer51 Member Posts: 248
    edited March 2012
    @LFT - I can only speculate that it's due to the Creator line not being licenced, not having any minifigs and not having any representation of any real life vehicles? Just a guess.
    edited March 2012
    Not a bad guess, and something to keep in mind before investing in Creator sets...The only catch is:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4539972-Creator-Highway-Transporter/dp/B001USFOSO/
    Creator Highway Transport - 6753
    RRP $89
    Current price $165

Retired at the same time as the Fire Rescue

------------------

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4498925-LEGO®-Creator-Townhouse/dp/B000NOSI0C/
    Creator Model Townhouse
    RRP $69
    Current price - $350

Ok, that one retired more than a year ago, but still...
    edited March 2012
    Maybe it is the mini-figs:
    http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-City-Set-8403-House/dp/B003F7TSOE/
    City House
    RRP $39
    Current price $97

Retired a year ago, same as Fire Rescue