Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Voltron 21311

Comments

• mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 135
    If this thing sells
    Pretty sure this set will be flying off the shelves the moment it is released.

Though hopefully Lego is prepared this time and avoids a repeat of the Saturn V where it was nowhere to be found for months at a time.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    ^ This whole release feels more polished than SV or MilF. I'm wondering if the looooong delay has not just been about design but ensuring the adequate lead time for a better sized initial production run and then tying it into SDCC for a more memorable release.  I can't help feel that TLG has learnt some extremely valuable information over the last couple of years as far as demand, production and customer perception and satisfaction go.
      For example,  I don't expect to see any set specific VIP cards any time soon!

All that said, and to answer @Legopassion8 question - No, I'd be willing to make bets that Voltron will be a one and done.  Despite its 'Ghostbustersesque' potential, I think TLG learnt some lessons there as well.
      The only exception I see to this is a possible minifig set (which I wouldn't be suprised to see as a future con exclusive)
    Baby_Yodapharmjod
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,674
    edited July 2018
    gmonkey76 said:
    ^ & ^^ Ideas/CUUSOO sets with stickers:

#21100 Shinkai 6500 Submarine
    Hayabusa
    The Big Bang Theory
    Old Fishing Store
    #21311 Voltron

That's 5 ou
    t of 22 so just over 25%
    I wonder if the first two would have had stickers if they had been made now. Big Bang and Fishing store would have needed a lot of prints so I can understand them. Voltron did seem a bit odd to me, a large set with not many prints needed so why the stickers.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,474
    I never saw Voltron when I was a child, although I was aware of some giant robot made up of lions from somewhere or other (I kept thinking "Why lions? They shouldn't be flying, that's absurd!" Anyway, I digress).
    I tried and tried to make transforming car/planes/robots with my Lego sets, to varying degrees of success, and I was always sad I could never have enough variety of pieces to create Superion.
    And now we have this. I'll be buying it, and after displaying it for a time, I'll try to mod it into Superion. Cannot wait.
    obi_gsid3windr
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 591
    CCC said:
    Thank you CCC!!  I stepped away from this over the weekend, but it warms my heart to finally see Voltron Lego getting the attention it deserves!  Very excited for this set, and I think it will go down as my favorite.  Agree with everyone else that a set of minifigs would have made it perfect.  I hope it does well enough so they release other Voltron themed sets.  Maybe a full set of minifig scale lions?  That could be combined to form a MASSIVE Voltron?  I can dream. 
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    Returning back to Voltron news...I found out a piece of very interesting information today.

While the fan designer of the Ideas Voltron set will be doing a signing in Shanghai, the actual LEGO set designer from Denmark will be flown in to do a signing at...*drumroll*...San Diego Comic-Con!

I am beyond thrilled to hear this.

Is there a lottery for the set signings? LOL  Just kidding.  
    mattytreks
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    "....Voltron is a descendant of the Shogun Warriors."

Now there's some toys. Those old Shogun warriors were just about the greatest thing since sliced bread back in the 70s. I picked up a bunch of the two footers for my son last Christmas and man if they haven't stood the test of time. You can keep Voltron and those other robots that change into can openers and whatnot...

77ncaachampsdatsunrobbie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,783
    Go-Bots?
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    If this thing sells reckon Vehicle Voltron will come at some point? I think he had a helicoptor hand. You know how Lego is about their GD helicopters...
    Did someone say "helicopter"?!

Just too bad Lego can't cash in on Transformers like "Kre-o did"...
    Baby_Yodaobi_gMaffyD
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 498
    If this thing sells reckon Vehicle Voltron will come at some point? I think he had a helicoptor hand. You know how Lego is about their GD helicopters...

no, that's a good thing. well, my wallet thinks it is!
    MaffyD
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,474

Also, @MAGNINOMINISUMBRA - thanks for the link to the history of giant robots. I've only now surfaced after reading it all. Fascinating stuff!

MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 980
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    I keep hoping Hasbro will see the value of a license agreement with LEGO for Transformers. It would be a win win I think. Mattel would never license master's of the universe since they have their own brand of bricks. That's unfortunate.
    obi_gSumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRAMaffyD
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 468
    Did someone say "helicopter"?!

Orion Pax's builds are always incredible! He's got a great knack for capturing the magic of the originals and designing functioning mechanis... oh wait, it's Mega Bloks, I hate it now.
    77ncaachamps
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 977
    pharmjod said:
    SNIP
    Mattel would never license Masters of the universe since they have their own brand of bricks. That's unfortunate.
    Was that supposed to be two sentences?
    Mattel would never license Masters of the universe since they have their own brand of bricks that's unfortunate.
    FTFY
    FowlerBrickspharmjodsid3windr
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,272
    the above mech is a bit lame, instead of having like a helicopter becoming an arm, it literally has an helicopter in place of an arm.
    Bumblepants
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 797
    Here is an unboxing video from ign.com.
    http://m.ign.com/videos/2018/07/16/lego-voltron-unboxing
    Not a very detailed unboxing but nice to see the size of the completed build.
    edited July 2018
    Fauch said:
    ...it literally has an helicopter in place of an arm...
    It's very Go-Bot-ish.

And if it had a Lighthouse and Police Station for legs and an X-Wing for the other arm, I'd buy one.
    Baby_Yodadmcc077ncaachamps
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    Here is an unboxing video from ign.com.
    http://m.ign.com/videos/2018/07/16/lego-voltron-unboxing
    Not a very detailed unboxing but nice to see the size of the completed build.
    Every time I see those three letters I think of the time they gave Alpha Sapphire a 7.8/10 for having "too much water".
    Seriously, though, I didn't expect it to be so big. I'm starting to feel like the astronomical price is more justified.
  • SD449SD449 Norwich, EnglandMember Posts: 39
    will this be avalible in store tomorrow for VIP members?  Therefore should be able to get this and the DB5 in Leicester Square?
  • SD449SD449 Norwich, EnglandMember Posts: 39
    Nope it’s the 23/07/18 for VIPs
  • nolatronnolatron Member Posts: 39
    What time does the Lego shop usually update items to make them available for purchase? midnight in a certain timezone?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,708
    nolatron said:
    What time does the Lego shop usually update items to make them available for purchase? midnight in a certain timezone?
    for the USA its midnight Eastern but then the site also tends to collapse under the pressure of even the slightest uptick in traffic when new releases launch so don't be shocked to see 404 errors or the like.
    gmonkey76
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 316
    Does anyone know if it will be a limit of 1 or 2 
  • jedivalkyriejedivalkyrie Member Posts: 175
    ^ limit of 2.
    edited July 2018
    Perfect.. thanks 
  • audaveraudaver ScotlandMember Posts: 13
    ^ limit of 2.

LEGO making sure everybody can have the lions separated and as Voltron :-P

If somebody is crazy enough to buy three 10261 to make a loop I'm sure a few will buy two for this very reason.

PapaBearBaby_Yoda
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    This would definitely be day 1 purchase for me if I wasn't currently committed to no more day 1 purchases this year.  Barely remembering the cartoon, it's very hard to resist.  It looks very well designed.
    nolatron said:
    Over here in Australia - UTC+11 - set #21313 was out at midnight, maybe even a couple of hours before. Don't ask how I know. I never want to remember that night again.
  • readersamreadersam USAMember Posts: 62
    I will probably get a copy of the set now and then wait for it to go on sale to get the second copy so the lions can be displayed as well.
    obi_g
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 763
    Definitely a Day 1 release. I'll be online tomorrow morning at the Roosevelt Field LEGO Store (closest store to my house). I'm picking up a minimum 1 for myself but am hoping for 2 so I can display Lions and Voltron together.

Also have to pick up a copy for a friend who gave me his VIP Card for his purchase.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    So, is this coming out in the U.S. on 7/23 or not? They have a new manager at my local Lego store who may be deemed completely useless to me if he doesn't know two days ahead of time whether a set will be released or not.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 763
    Releasing tomorrow. Email was sent to VIP Card holders earlier this month. 
    Roughly 12 hours and counting!
    ...They have a new manager at my local Lego store who may be deemed completely useless to me...
    This is the truth of the matter asserted:
    Lego [S]tore managers are completely useless.
    Adjust accordingly!
    Has anyone in the us been able to order it yet 
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    nope, been hitting refresh since midnight

Same here I believe it goes live at 3 AM eastern time 
  • JaimitoJaimito NYCMember Posts: 18
    mh3490 said:
    Same here I believe it goes live at 3 AM eastern time 
    Source? 
    Usually when I order stuff on day one I live in chicago and its live a 2 am my time 
    Jaimito
  • bsiu922bsiu922 SF Bay Area, CAMember Posts: 439
    still no no here
    west coast 12:35am

• alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 213
    edited July 2018
    Nothing here in the Netherlands, Europe either. It's 9:30 AM here already. Sad. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,708
    Voltron on the shelves in Frankfurt.
    Ya idk looks like the lego store for me smh
    7 PM in Australia, AEST. According to brickingaround.com, as notified by someone called James, the set is now live for VIPs at the Australian [email protected] I'm having trouble logging in so I can't confirm this right now, but high site traffic is a good sign, is it not?
    SumoLego
  • NicksBricksNicksBricks United StatesMember Posts: 209
    Still nothing at US [email protected]
    SumoLego
    edited July 2018
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I'm having trouble logging in so I can't confirm this right now, but high site traffic is a good sign, is it not?
    That may just mean 15 people are on the site at the same time.  Or the hamsters powering the server are on a breakfast break.
    gmonkey76BumblepantsBaby_Yodasid3windrstlux
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 392
    Now available for backorder in US
    SumoLego
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    Got my order in for 2, they are in backorder but i can handle that. 
  • nolatronnolatron Member Posts: 39
    kbw said:
    Now available for backorder in US
    Yeah, seems like it went from Add To Wish straight to Backorder. :/
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 392
    Available now. Kind of odd