Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

007 Aston Martin official LEGO?

Comments

• omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 723
    @Legoofme, so what was the magic ticket for?
    And to all that attended, what happened in the store? You've all gone quiet! I'd hope you're out by now, so don't tell me you're too busy enjoying yourselves!! ;-)
    BumblepantsMr_Cross
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 587
    My browser doesn't seem to want to load up all the high res pics on the previous page so I'm just imaging the event is really good!
    raygunnBaby_Yoda
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    I am excited about it still. Hoping to grab one in Frankfurt next week!
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,031
    edited July 2018
    omnium said:
    @Legoofme, so what was the magic ticket for?

McDonalds voucher?

xD
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 70
    I think it's a great model and look forward to enjoying both the build experience and play features.  The pros outweigh the cons for me.

I think my nephews will dig it, too!
    omniumBumblepants
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 354
    I think this was a great attempt, with great features but it was always going to be difficult to make LEGO curvy and streamlined like the DB5 was. IMO from some angles it looks great, but from some other angles it's reminds me of another legendary car....

Small white Trabant in a museum

I was a little bit disappointed as well with the price, given the pieces, but I suppose the licence has something to do with that?

I will have to get myself to a store and have a look for myself as I so desparately want it and was looking forward to it, so I'm hoping I'm going to be convinced when I see it in the flesh so to speak!

• Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,182
    The DB5 parked outside had gone by 1030 when I left. came back past around 2ish and there was still a queue to get in the store and plenty of sets left. They had cabinets with 007 memorabilia in place of the usual set displays and cool table with the models of the DB5 used in the filming of Skyfall. One pristine, the other burnt out and bullet ridden!

As a huge Bond fan I was hoping I'd want it, but I watched its slab sided, bit too long in the body form rotate in the display cabinet and couldn't bring myself to buy it. The gadgets do look cool, but as others have said the ejector roof could have just been a panel rather than the whole side.
    Mr_CrossomniumMynattgmonkey76FowlerBricks
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 817
    Just bought mine from Leeds LEGO store, also got my license to build and all of the XTRA polybags :-D
    ericb
  • SD449SD449 Norwich, EnglandMember Posts: 39
    @SD449 - I considered wearing the official Brickset branded tuxedo but decided it was too early for that so went with the blue T-shirt instead.
    It’s ok, 5th guy in was dressed in full tuxedo so you would have clashed.  Was going to say Hi and ask for a photo but I bottled it.

Set was revealed outside on the street by Naomi Harris (Moneypenny) she took a few selfies with the front of the que, my moneys (sorry could t help myself) on that the 7 envelopes had her autograph inside.

After the reveal we were told to run inside and grab our sets and go pay, nothing particularly special.  Got a nice gloss black bag, license to build license with each product (could buy 2
    per person)

Guys signing seemed nice, not that I spoke to them but did ask the Lego cast member for “Ejector Seat, you’re joking” on one and I got EJETOR written, didn’t notice until went back to hotel and returned to asked the manager to replace, he said he’d have to check which he did with Scott the store manager and whilst pondering a senior lady manager said do another which is the type of service I expect and appreciate from TLG.  (I only missed it the first time because I was concentrating more on the spelling of you’re instead of your) but at least gives me a funny anecdote to tell.

I was gutted the DB5 was gone out the front by the time we left the store, luckily I was allowed to visit the film museums Bond in Motion exhibition (which was EXCELLENT! But got 2-4-1 vouchers with set) and saw that the DB5s curves are quite subtle and does look a tiny bit box-y, but the play features have put any appearance worry’s to rest

I’ve not read the review yet as would like a few surprises when I build later this week.

I was quite surprised that they were selling to anyone that went into the store, bypassing the long q which was for signed copies, but that q stayed long for quite a while.

omniumericbMr_CrossAstrobricksstluxBaby_Yodabandit778snowhitie
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 723
    @SD449, thanks for the writeup. It sounds like you had a good day out. Enjoy building it! Without spoilers, the main gist of the reviews I've read are that once you've built it, you'll fall for its charm.
    SD449ericbMr_Cross
  • LegoofmeLegoofme CambridgeMember Posts: 19
    So the first 7 got their license to build to match their position in the queue so the first person got 10262-0001 everyone else just has a seemingly random set of numbers.
    SD449Mr_Crossomniumstlux
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 909
    ^ so, lucky number seven is in the money if they're selling!
    omnium
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    Legoofme said:

Still wondering why the crate is addressed to the Musée de l’Armée (in Paris, presumably). Were the movie prop models previously on display there?
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,234
    so it's ok with all the gadgets, but for the same price you have a mack anthem which moreover is more likely to get discounted. that's star wars pricing here, not creator expert pricing.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,509
    Fauch said:
    ...that's star wars pricing here...
    Broccoli/Eon pricing!
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,377
    Legoofme said:
    So the first 7 got their license to build to match their position in the queue so the first person got 10262-0001 everyone else just has a seemingly random set of numbers.
    Much to the chagrin of all those who waited in the que for the UCS MF...
    omniumMr_CrossBumblepantsstluxBaby_YodaPapaBearsnowhitie
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,575
    Hang on is Lester brickheadz a thing? 
    77ncaachamps
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    @smc looks like a Lug showcase model to me. Though the pics aren't all loading properly for me :/
    SMC77ncaachamps
    SMC said:
    Hang on is Lester brickheadz a thing? 
    No I don’t think so, there was a plaque but I can’t remember what it said, possibly fan MOC
    SMC
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,575
    ^ & ^^

I still want one
    LostInTranslation
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,694
    @smc looks like a Lug showcase model to me. Though the pics aren't all loading properly for me :/
    Yes, put in there by Brickish.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,777
    "What a piece of junk!". Oops, wrong franchise, but same sentiment for me. That's an ugly model, but understandable, given the scale. I'd prefer to see a bigger one which is less impeded by the medium of its construction and more faithful to the source. An easy pass for me, much as I love James Bond films.
    gmonkey76
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,192
    edited July 2018
    Wow, just... wow.. and not in a great way.  I will say I think the pic on the box does not do it much justice though. It looked better when someone was holding it.. from a distance anyway. The back does not look bad I guess but the front is definitely too blocky, it just looks like the 'bonnet' of the car is too high and the sides definitely look cut off like they ran out of space or something. I think they could have done much better given that the scale could have been a bit bigger to accommodate the curves of the car.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,091
    Though the pics aren't all loading properly for me :/
    Yeah, neither.

FowlerBricks
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,509
    It's a composite photoof the store.

With a space-time apparation in the form of a folded-over woman.  Whatevs!
    Baby_YodaSD449
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 451
    ^^ you get that effect when taking panoramic shot on the iPhone when there are subjects moving.
    SumoLegoSD449
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100
    she could just be very very very skinny.
    SD449
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    Get that woman a sandwich!
    SD449
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    My two cents.....

OK, What completely baffles me about the 007 Aston Martin DB5 set is; who the hell decided to make it plain grey!?!
    This would have been the perfect opportunity to get a set out filled with shiny metallic silver light grey bricks! As well as the parts of the car which are supposed to be chrome, be actually chromed bricks!

What I do like about this set is the inclusion of the various Bond gadgets, but as a display piece not executing this set in metallic silver grey is really a big fat blunder I think.
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    meh, not really impressed yet.  Maybe I haven't seen enough of it.  Maybe it's all that grey...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    There is a VIP promotion on [email protected] to win a 007 trip experience. No purchase necessary to enter. Looks pretty cool so I threw my hat into the ring.
    ShibMaffyD
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 245
    This would have been the perfect opportunity to get a set out filled with shiny metallic silver light grey bricks! As well as the parts of the car which are supposed to be chrome, be actually chromed bricks!
    RRP £599.99. :D
    BumblepantsCapnRex101stluxMr_Crossdrdavewatford
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,119
    edited July 2018
    There is a VIP promotion on [email protected] to win a 007 trip experience. No purchase necessary to enter. Looks pretty cool so I threw my hat into the ring.
    Looks cool; entering for the draw is here. Unfortunately it seems it's limited to entries from Austria/Canada/France/Germany/UK/US.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    @stlux ;    
    The equivalent of: "No soup for you!!"

@Mr_Hobbles ;    
    And instead fly over the counter like hot cakes.
    ps.
    I never was charged a fortune ordering loose metallic parts from TLG, so I'll doubt Lego would charge 600 quid. :P
  • BoomstickBoomstick IndianaMember Posts: 238
    I bought two one to build one to save in box.  Seen you only get one license to build card so called customer service and they are sending me a second card for the second car. 
    Onebricktoomany
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,244
    I never knew I wanted a Lester Brickheadz until now...
    Baby_YodaOnebricktoomany
  • BoomstickBoomstick IndianaMember Posts: 238
    Any chance we will see more 007 vehicles in the future or is this a one and done?
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    I haven't given up hope for some Speed Champions models next year...guess I'm just a crazy optimist!
    MaffyDOnebricktoomany
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 942
    Agree that TLG should of used chrome pieces in place of the grey to make the model stand out.  Anyone have a list of those pieces that can be ordered through TLG or a third party site to conform to the original vehicle design.
    Jangbricks has now put up his review of the set.

Pretty much in line with the Brickset and other reviews about the positives and negatives of the set, but great if you want his soothing voice to tell you instead of reading it ;)
    Muftak1SeanTheCollectorBumblepantsomniumgmonkey76dmcc0SeijiAmasawa
    Similar situation for me @Bumblepants. I don't own any of the other Creator Expert vehicles (and am not planning on getting any, except maybe the London bus). However I'm pretty sure I will buy this one because I really want to build all the cool features. Quite possible already next week.
    omniumbandit778BumblepantsMr_CrossSeijiAmasawaOnebricktoomany
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 245
    The cool features are what's selling me on this set. I haven't bought any of the Creator Expert vehicles up until now. They're cool, but static. However I really want to build and play with the ejector seat, gun headlights, and rear bullet shield. :)
    stluxBumblepantsomniumMr_CrossSeijiAmasawaAdzbadboy
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 723
    I probably won't get this, but I do think a James Bond car without the gadgets would have been pointless.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2018
    For all the valid criticism about how it looks and considering the play features, I don't think the price is too bad. £129.99 for 1290 pieces? Compare it with many of the Star Wars sets of a comparable size and the price per part is not outside of thenormal or expected parameters. I thought 10p per piece was the average.
    All that fuss on the front page has engaged my contrary circuits, think I'm firmly in the "want it" camp now.
    I will add that something minifigure scale would still be welcome.
    stluxBumblepantsomniumSeijiAmasawaOnebricktoomanysnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    The cool features are what's selling me on this set. I haven't bought any of the Creator Expert vehicles up until now. They're cool, but static. However I really want to build and play with the ejector seat, gun headlights, and rear bullet shield. :)
    I used to have a Corgi James Bond car with ejector seat. But we lost James Bond so use to fire peanuts out of it instead. What will you eject from this one?

It is a shame they didn't include a figure, even if it needed to be a larger technic style one.