Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Evolution of the Lego Minifigure

2»

Comments

• linzellolinzello LondonMember Posts: 22
    @jpeg07 looking at my sets, my earlier solid stud heads (from Alpha-1 Rocket Base, set 483) are squarer.  Although it might be the case that some moulds are used for some types of figures - e.g. perhaps all red and white spacemen have squarer heads.
    @Pitfall69I've just opened a sealed box of minifigs from 1982 (set 6302).  They are all O torso except one.  Half the legs are seamed.  However, I noticed your unseamed legs have Lego printed inside the feet, but mine don't.  I'm guessing yours are earlier.  What do you think?

The black, white and red legs all have seams, whereas the others do not.

Lego is not printed inside the feet of either the seamed or unseamed legs.

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,559
    That was an expensive experiment. 
    Pitfall69SumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,435
    ^I am going to open my sealed Knight's Procession now ;)
    oldtodd33
    edited June 2018
    linzello said:
    @Pitfall69I've just opened a sealed box of minifigs from 1982 (set 6302).  They are all O torso except one.  Half the legs are seamed.  However, I noticed your unseamed legs have Lego printed inside the feet, but mine don't.  I'm guessing yours are earlier.  What do you think?

LEGO printed inside the feet are newer; not earlier. The funny thing is that I had this exact set, but I opened it in 1982...I would never open it in 2018 :0
    SumoLegoFizyx
  • workshybumworkshybum UKMember Posts: 64
    Interesting that this thread should pop up
    again, as I was just looking at minifig torsos and a few days ago, especially the difference between ‘sharp shoulder’ and ‘rounded shoulder’ torsos. I was putting together some monochrome figs, buying the parts individually and I’d not noticed it before, but once I did it started to bug me. 

I couldn’t find a pattern to it and the rounded shoulders appear to make up the majority of my collection, so I googled it.

I found a comment by someone called ‘TheBrickBlogger’ that suggests they just come from different manufacturing facilities. I had two of the ‘same’ torsos, but one had sharp, the other round shoulders which makes it hard to predict which one you might receive in a BrickLink order. 

It is very subtle and as ‘TheBrickBlogger’ said ‘Most people never even notice the difference, but once you do, it's hard to un-see it. ;)’

• jpeg07jpeg07 Aotearoa Member Posts: 19
    @linzello - funny you should revive this thread since I just noticed the same minifig head difference on drdavewatford's website Gimme Lego. It just may be that the short lived "square" minifig heads were in US sets like 483. Once you notice them, you'll always see them. They are only slightly different but enough to look kind of weird.

Did we agree that the torso shoulder variations are the result of the number of times a certain mold was used (degradation) or a variation in the mold?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,003
    I honestly can't see how repeated use of the mold would square-off the corners of the shoulders so perfectly. Obviously it can't round them off, because that would require additional metal in the mold... ;)

Is it possible they're simply from different factories which have slightly different molds?
    Astrobricks
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 425
    I would imagine they're different moulds. It's not like repeated use of moulds for literally every other type of piece devolve and wear down. Certainly not to the degree of difference in the shoulders. And it makes a degree of logical sense: I'm sure rounded edges, especially on the inside corners of the moulds where the shoulder edges are, are harder to sculpt to the same degree of tolerance as straight and 90 degree angles. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,889
    I now know more than I ever thought I would about minifig heads, torsos, and legs. Well done guys!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,477
    Time for me to revive another old thread, hopefully not because of stupidity. 

I was piecing together some old cars and the figure for #6608 has a weird torso, it’s probably fake but  not 100% certain. Mainly because hooky Lego wasn’t a thing when this set was released. 

If it is fake, why would anyone do such a thing and where did they get it from. 
    I don’t see any Lego markings on it, the hair has the number 5 stamped inside yet the head (solid stud) and legs do have proper markings.

Is someone playing a weird joke on me? I don’t see how and why such an old set would have these anomalies. 
    edited January 25
    Just to add, it came complete with instructions with two other cars #1898 and #1899
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Deep in the Heart of TexasMember Posts: 1,748
    That definitely looks different than the torso that came with that set... Do you have a clearer picture of the underneath/inside of the torso?

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?M=pln087
    edited January 25
    That definitely looks different than the torso that came with that set... Do you have a clearer picture of the underneath/inside of the torso?

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?M=pln087

i did check Bicklink and it’s definitely not the norm. 
    Hands and arms appear to be genuine too and it all feels right tactile wise. It also has pretty decent clutch. 
    Its more curved than a normal torso, a little taller and the neck is a fraction longer too. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,278
    This is just a guess... Perhaps the original owner liked swapping arms between figures, and eventually realized that they tend to get loose. So they put them on this non-Lego torso. But who made this torso, and what's the reason for the concave sides on the bottom edge- to fit some kind of special legs? Something like the NBA players' spring-loaded legs?
    AllBrick
    This is just a guess... Perhaps the original owner liked swapping arms between figures, and eventually realized that they tend to get loose. So they put them on this non-Lego torso. But who made this torso, and what's the reason for the concave sides on the bottom edge- to fit some kind of special legs? Something like the NBA players' spring-loaded legs?
    I have some NBA guys and I had a look today, their torsos are the same as normal and the arms are a touch different with unmovable hands. 

Who made it indeed, I’m being trolled by the past. 
    KungFuKenny
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,947
    That curve looks as though it were to allow bending at the hip, but with non-Lego legs.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,557
    I've seen that torso style before in job-lot bulk lots. The legs push all the way into the torso and so the equivalent of the circular side part of LEGO legs sit flush in the hole, with no waist/belt like part showing at the waist. The arms should also fit better, so it does look like they are genuine LEGO arms in an off-brand torso.
    AllBrick