Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General LEGO Movie 2 DIscussion

Comments

• maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 825
    edited June 2018
    Interesting to see the Roman Style shield in Flat Silver? at 0:56 - 0:57. Would be nice if that made its way into a TLM2 set.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,641
    Looks epic! The 6 wheeled crane truck at the start looks ripe for a set along with the space pod and Emmet's flying house.

The last few seconds announces the world they're going to as the "Sister system" so I'd go with them all being kidnapped by Finn's sister and kept in her bedroom, extra accuracy points for it being under a cabin style bed with a blanket hanging down to make a secret cave like my daughter creates!
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,599
    Mad Max style LEGO Sets? Yes please.
    Fizyxelspankdog
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Well I was already excited for all the Mad Max style Ninjago figures from this summer and now they are doubling down! Yay!

Also we could be getting minidolls and minifigs in the same set which would be really interesting.
    Don't forget possible Duplo figures too! Now that would be a strange threesome.
    BumblepantsFizyxBrickByBrick
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 255
    Looks great. Can't wait
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 500
    Sewer babies!

Looks interesting. As someone who has begun collecting a few minidolls recently, I'd be open to sets which combine the two styles.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,452
    Man, this trailer is awesomesauce.
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,681
    I need a Sewer babies battle pack! And finally, Minifigures and Minidolls go head-to-head!!
    MegtheCatBrickByBrickFizyxdannyrwwJern92kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,242
    edited June 2018
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,914
    Hang on didnt we already have an era of Lego that isn't as gender specific or separated but then Lego started creating gender specific themes. Now they are going to tell us that we shouldn't think of the gender specific themes they created for a specific gender as gender specific?
    RidzDesigndmcc0gmonkey76daewoomafonshikadikiki180703
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    maybe these are Elves minidolls. After all, wings! Ok, probably not... but dragons... I want smiley dragons.

• LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 875
    SMC said:
    Hang on didnt we already have an era of Lego that isn't as gender specific or separated but then Lego started creating gender specific themes. Now they are going to tell us that we shouldn't think of the gender specific themes they created for a specific gender as gender specific?
    No, we didn't. That era never really existed. Lego has been "gendered" since even before the introduction of distinct themes, thanks to a cultural status quo that tended to view construction toys as mainly a tool for boys' mental development. Up until the introduction of Friends that status quo persisted, and not for lack of trying—Lego made efforts to specifically appeal to girls even as far back as the '70s "Homemaker" sets, but they tended to be marginally successful at best (Belville) and outright failures at worst (Scala, Clikits, etc.).

The idea that Lego's output prior to Friends were truly "unisex" is an idealistic notion that mostly ignores the realities of Lego's demographics as well as the way that so many themes focused largely on traditionally masculine interests while eschewing anything that might be construed as "girly". But under-representing and undervaluing girls' own preferences and interests isn't truly "unisex"—it's just a different manifestation of sexism.
    ShibstluxJern92LostInTranslationAanchirkiki180703mak0137
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,848
    edited June 2018
    ....Oh for god's sake, lets not get into this discussion again...

I will say this, from the teaser it looks like it will be good.
    The_RancorSumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsBaby_YodadaewooMynattkiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,848
    So, two threads for one subject
    @Huw can we combine these please?

I do like the teaser and it looks like a lot of laughs again
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,884
    Yeah, while no sets are ever designed to appeal to one gender and ONLY one gender (because there's too much overlap in boys' and girls' interests for that to even be possible), there have been sets targeted more towards boys or more towards girls since at least the mid-70s. You can't seriously believe that LEGO expected sets like #272 or #372 to appeal equally to boys and girls.

If themes like Castle, Space, and Pirates ever seemed unisex, it's only because we live in a society that treats "boyish" interests as thrilling and aspirational while treating "girly" interests as frivolous or demeaning. We can't just look at a product like LEGO that was always more widely embraced by boys than by girls, shrug our shoulders, and pretend that the average girl just wasn't cool enough to appreciate it.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,449
    I just guessed the plot...

The boy has gotten to old to play with Lego and has entered his dark times, hence the wasteland setting for Bricksburg.

The baby sister from the end of the first movie that was playing with Duplo is now older. "A lifetime has passed since the horrific events of taco tuesday" She is now playing with the mini-dolls and friends sets.

The friends minidolls are the "other planet" which is essentially her room. She goes to the basement to get some old parts and characters to play. She begins to mix the characters and this brings to life a new era of Lego that isn't as gender specific or separated.

Heres to seeing sets with both mini-dolls and mini-figures. 
    Sounds so plausible that you should have started with SPOILER ALERT :)
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,393
    So where is Lord Business? And if this was the result of what happens after letting your kids play with your Lego collection, doesn't that ruin the lesson of the first film (unless of course you think dystopia's are cool).
    BrickByBrickgmonkey76MegtheCatdatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,313
    More to the point, will we see any evidence that the Batman Movie and Ninjago Movie tie into this same universe in any way? The only reference we got in Batman was the rift opening under Gotham, and I didn't see the Ninjago Movie but apparently it had some more obvious hints. There was no dystopian Mad Max world in those movies, so did they happen before Lego Movie 1? Or are they really just meant to be separate Lego-based movies? I feel like this should be clearer and could be played on more.
    mafon
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 693
    I feel like those movies could have taken place In the same kind of universe, it could just be with different kids. That was my take on them at least.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,313
    Still, it did seem like Will Arnett Batman was meant to be the same in the Batman Movie as the Lego Movie (that was the hook!) but references such as his relationship with Wyldstyle, master builder credentials (and his tendency to leave a bat-shaped hole travelling between theme walls whenever he likes) were ignored completely. That's why I wondered whether it took place before Lego Movie 1. But the idea that the Lego setup was simply in another person's home is quite believable, and all Lego Batmen behave like that.
    gmonkey76Baby_YodaBrickByBrick
    I want Mad Maxed Larry the Barista.......also I second combing the threads.
    BumblepantsBrickByBrick
    Also, did anyone else catch Emmet's double decker porch swing?
    Bumblepants
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,449
    dannyrww said:
    I want Mad Maxed Larry the Barista.......also I second combing the threads.
    So, would that be a comb-over?
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,348
    SumoLego said:
    Sorry for making the duplicate thread, saw the ongoing discussion about The LEGO Movie in an unrelated thread so thought one was needed. I’ve flagged it for the mods to merge.
    drdavewatford
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    Am i the only one who liked TLBM more than the TLM? TLNM is the least of the three but it's still really excellent..
    AgentKallus
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 132

I think they mean this king of combing.

Image result for combing the desert gif

FizyxBumblepantsdmcc0AstrobricksmadforLEGOricecakekiki180703
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Oh, this is going to be sick (the good kind)
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    Jeebus. I hope this isnt the result of a divorce between the boy's parents. 
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 778
    ^She leaves him for buying too much LEGO?
    gmonkey76LuLegoBaby_Yodakiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,548
    edited June 2018
    @SumoLego cameos as the Afol attorney in the divorce proceedings is what I read on IMDB
    gmonkey76stluxMuftak1SumoLegoLittleLoridavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yodakiki180703
    edited June 2018
    @SumoLego cameos as the Afol attorney in the divorce proceedings is what I read on IMDB
    I only got to play the underappreciated AFOL paralegal working for mediators Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson.  But they cut the scene because I kept staring into the camera.

(I think @Pitfall69 put that on IMDb.)

And as of June 18th, I'm officially no-longer a bloodsucking divorce attorney.  Whew!
    gmonkey76FizyxsklambBumblepantsFowlerBricksMr_Crosskiki180703
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    edited June 2018

@sumolego - good luck in your new direction, whatever it is! And for the record, IMO there's nothing intrinsically wrong with divorce attorneys. Some of their clients however...

After seeing the teaser trailer, here's what I think is happening in the real world:

1. End of last movie, younger sister comes in with her Duplo, but I think she's nearly at the end of that stage, and ready to move on to System fairly soon.

2. She plays with the city a bit, but maybe isn't into construction worker/office block stories and moves over to minidolls (and doesn't integrate them into the city).

3. Finn starts growing older and into his dark ages. This is the start of the post apocalyptic setting we find Emmet in at the start of the film.

4. Dad has another child. This seriously curtails his involvement with the city, and it now turns into a desert with no new ideas coming in to fill the void.

5. The 'new' youngest child starts playing with Duplo, bringing the sister back into contact with the neglected city somehow, and she starts messing with the setting again...

Start movie!

and it IS a Space movie! Albeit not Neo Space as we know it, but I think the Dad will come in towards the end (LL-930 - the dream is alive)!

Edit: I see @ridzdesign got there before me on most of these - I didn't read all the posts above before posting this! Great minds, etc.

MegtheCatFowlerBricksSumoLegoMr_Crosskiki180703
    I think I'll be happy if they just steal the good plotpoints from the Toy Story movies.  Or just about any Pixar movie that isn't the 'Good Dinosaur'.
    MaffyDBrickByBrickgmonkey76Baby_Yodakiki180703
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    SumoLego said:
    SNIP
    And as of June 18th, I'm officially no-longer a bloodsucking divorce attorney.  Whew!
    Wasn't evil enough...
    He starts with Disney 1st of July.
    ^
    dmcc0FizyxSumoLegogmonkey76Baby_Yodakiki180703
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,798
    ^ I'm not crying, you're crying!
    Fizyx
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Does anyone know how the sets from The Lego Movie (the first one) sold?

There were 20’ish boxed sets plus the polys. Quite a lot I remember. And several ended being sold on discount in DK.

The reason for wondering about this is that if this was a world wide phenonomen we might expect TLC to release less sets when planning the theme of The Lego Movie 2.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,884
    The LEGO Movie:
    • 13 set first wave
    • 3 set second wave
    • 3 set third wave
    • 1 D2C set
    • 1 minifigure series
    • (plus polys and extended line)
    The LEGO Batman Movie:
    • 13 set first wave
    • 5 set second wave
    • 5 set third wave
    • 1 D2C set
    • 2 minifigure series
    The LEGO Ninjago Movie:
    • 13 set first wave
    • 5 set second wave
    • 1 set third wave
    • 1 D2C set
    • 1 minifigure series
    Considering The LEGO Ninjago Movie got as many sets as The LEGO Movie did and The LEGO Batman Movie got more, it doesn't seem like The LEGO Movie sets' sales in any way put a damper on the LEGO Group's expectations for subsequent movies. So we can pretty safely assume the movie sets sold quite well on a global scale.

For The LEGO Movie 2 I think it's probably safe to expect at LEAST 19 "normal" sets and at least one minifigures series.
    CCCMAGNINOMINISUMBRASeanTheCollectorLyichiricey117kiki180703
    That would be the Disney IP or Real Estate aquisitions department...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,181
    I use to pretend the attic was Space.

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Last time I was in Target (eariler this year) there was a #70806 still in stock. Legend has it that it's cursed and anyone who purchases it will invariably get near-fatal constipation until they either open it (which will result in the destruction of all life as we know it) or they return it MISB.
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger if I see it again next time.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,099
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Last time I was in Target (eariler this year) there was a #70806 still in stock.
    If shops don't put sets on clearance, they will tend to hang around once the rest of the line is long gone.

Or maybe that one set alone is evidence that Australia should not get TLM2 sets. :-)

MAGNINOMINISUMBRABaby_YodaSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 821
    Mods, yet another TLM2 thread, please can you merge this with the other one?

BumblepantsSMC
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,914
    ^ I would also suggest moving it to collecting as it should be more visible there and we might get less new threads if people can see an ongoing one. Its also where most of the threads on Lego lines are, like Star Wars and Harry Potter and so on.
    omnium
    CCC said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Last time I was in Target (eariler this year) there was a #70806 still in stock.
    If shops don't put sets on clearance, they will tend to hang around once the rest of the line is long gone.

Or maybe that one set alone is evidence that Australia should not get TLM2 sets. :-)

There may be more to this theory!  When I read that comment by @Baby_Yoda I immediately thought - I bet that's Castle Cavalry!  Which I too have seen on ahelves as recently as this year! I'm lot sure if we're anywhere close though - I'm in QLD. 
      Nice collation of data there @Aanchir - I hadn't realised the release numbers were so similar (based on how hard I feelI've been marketed to).  I think it's safe to say that if the original LEGO movie DIDN'T meet or exceed TLG's expectations for both the movie and subsequent set sales,  TLBM and TLNM wouldn't have seen the light of day...
    Aanchir
    SumoLego said:
    That would be the Disney IP or Real Estate aquisitions department...
    HR & External Public liability  as well if, you know, you like your greater evil with a more personal touch...

Seriously though, nice to read your changing that part of your game - The Handfull of solicitors I've known who have stopped doing divorce/ he said she said family stuff have been a lot better off for it.  
    That shit creeps up on you...
    SumoLego
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I wouldn't think they'd plan less sets.
    Aanchir
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 515
    #30806 was the one set I missed out on from the TLM theme.