Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Ideas - Review Results

Comments

• roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,332
    The motorcycle is fantastic
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164

What do you think?

On rebrickable I read the next piece of article, prediciting 2018 sets….

LEGO Creator Expert
    In the LEGO Creator Export line a single new modular building have been announced. The beautifully curved 10256-1 (Downtown Diner) is in shops now. Other models seem to be a Rollercoaster set, and Expert Car and a new Winter Village set.

• 10260-1 - Downtown Diner - PENDING
    • 10261-1 - (Rollercoaster set?)
    • 10262-1 - (Expert Car?)
    • 10263-1 - (Winter Village set?)

When I focus on set 10262-1 (Expert Car I expect it will be the Jaquar E-type Roadster wich is in review at the moment. Has anybody got more info?

• JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,092
    "10262-1 - (Expert Car?)" will not be the E-Type Jaguar, as that is an Ideas submission - a completely different theme.
    gmonkey76stluxBumblepantsCCCsid3windr
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 339
    pharmjod said:
    Stitch is from the same designer that did wall-e. That's why I think it will get made. If it doesn't, hopefully he will post instructions for it.
    Fairly sure it's not... that was Angus MacLane (https://ideas.lego.com/profile/MacLane) - Stitch is somebody else: https://ideas.lego.com/profile/Legohaulic
  • drlmiles1drlmiles1 UKMember Posts: 177
    I love the BMW bike - so much better than last year's Technic one. I think that it would get a lot of crossover to Pistonheads liking it as well
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 590
    I'm not super thrilled about any of these.  :/
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,782
    Gooker1 said:
    I'm not super thrilled about any of these.  :/
    I'm sure the LEGO Ideas design folks will probably agree.  Although we'll all soon be falling over ourselves when the Voltron set gets released, and we'll forget about the lack of approved sets.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,453
    What is Voltron. Never heard of that character before! Why would it be do popular?
    sid3windr
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 306
    TheFew said:
    What is Voltron. Never heard of that character before! Why would it be do popular?
    It's basically the original version of the power rangers zords; robots that combine to from a bigger robot.  It's quite popular and was really big back in the 80's and 90's as an animated show.  There has since been a revival in recent years.
    Is it a US thing? Or did I just miss it in the UK?
    TheFew said:
    Is it a US thing? Or did I just miss it in the UK?
    It was actually a Japanese anime show to begin with, that was then brought over to the US.  So it may not have made a splash at all in the UK, i'm just not sure.
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 380
    There is a new Voltron show on Netflix (if you have that or access to it).
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 380
    Tried to add this to my last comment but anyway, here is the Brickset article where they mention the Voltron set getting approved (so you can see what it looks like).

https://brickset.com/article/29689/lego-ideas-third-2016-review-results
    TheFew
    Thanks for the info. Can't say the model excites me, but if it excites others it may be an investment set for me :-)
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 885
    Shouldn't the Voltron set be released by now already? It seems like ages since the last announcement. 
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 688
    Things move very slowly in Ideas land
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,873
    pharmjod said:
    Stitch is from the same designer that did wall-e. That's why I think it will get made. If it doesn't, hopefully he will post instructions for it.
    Fairly sure it's not... that was Angus MacLane (https://ideas.lego.com/profile/MacLane) - Stitch is somebody else: https://ideas.lego.com/profile/Legohaulic
    Thanks for checking that. Unsurprisingly I can't trust my memory apparently =D
    SumoLegobenbacardi
    pharmjod said:
    Unsurprisingly I can't trust my memory apparently =D
    There are some drugs for that.  I know a guy...
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRApharmjod
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 92
    monkyby87 said:

It was actually a Japanese anime show to begin with, that was then brought over to the US.  So it may not have made a splash at all in the UK, i'm just not sure.
    It got pretty big in Australia too. I remember all my friends being jealous of me because I'd somehow managed to convince my parents to buy me all five lions instead of just one or two like they had. It was glorious.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,802
    There are three here that I think could make great sets — Flintstones, Stitch, and the BMW R60/2. The Embraer R-29 Super Tucano is also a gorgeous build with great colors, but I think maybe a bit too obscure a subject for a lot of people to think of it as anything more than a nice-looking plane.

My fingers are crossed for Stitch, a project I've been following for some time. I love the movie Lilo and Stitch, and the model is so delightfully adorable! I'm a sucker for buildable characters in general. This also looks as though it would be an extremely affordable model! As far as I can tell, Stitch remains highly marketable, even though he hasn't been featured in new movies or TV shows in some time.

The BMW, if it's as well known to motorcycle enthusiasts as the Caterham was to car enthusiasts, will probably be a great fit for Ideas. I do have some questions as to how sturdy it is, but I feel like it would not be too hard to redesign it with legal connections and current bricks now that the macaroni tube has been redesigned.

The Flintstones is another seemingly natural fit for the Ideas platform, with both play and display value, familiarity to multiple generations, and designed with great car to feel like a viable set using existing molds. I do think the Dino in the updates, as brilliantly designed as he is, might require more prints and recolors than could be justified in addition to all the major character prints and recolors.
    pharmjod
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,474
    I'd like the blackbird, because X-Men, but I'm resigned to the feeling that it won't come to pass. stitch looks ok, but I'm not fussed about any of the others.
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 192
    ^I’d imagine more than a few fans would employ the Final Flight set as a Blackbird.

Maybe I’m mixing sci-fi themes, but isn’t the Acclamator a Star Wars ship?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,380
    ^I’d imagine more than a few fans would employ the Final Flight set as a Blackbird.

Maybe I’m mixing sci-fi themes, but isn’t the Acclamator a Star Wars ship?
    I would employ the SR-71 to do some major swooshing :)

I believe the Acclamator is SW but was grandfathered-in. So, between that, and how huge (and gray) it is, it has no chance.
    Fizyx
    I'd love to see Flintstones made into a set.  Everyone knows Flintstones, and they already did Scooby Doo, so I'd think they could reach an agreement on the license somewhat easily.  Though I don't know if there's anything current for it to coincide with, which is what they might want to do.  But it's Ideas, so why not?  The others probably don't have the same mass appeal, and sometimes I get a little tired of seeing fancy cars or planes made.
    JRL
    Ideas has only done one “fancy” car and no airplanes so far. But given how many cars and planes TLG regularly puts out, its not hard to see why.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,941
    monkyby87 said:
    I'd love to see Flintstones made into a set.  Everyone knows Flintstones, and they already did Scooby Doo, so I'd think they could reach an agreement on the license somewhat easily.  Though I don't know if there's anything current for it to coincide with, which is what they might want to do.  But it's Ideas, so why not?  The others probably don't have the same mass appeal, and sometimes I get a little tired of seeing fancy cars or planes made.

Wouldn’t those same arguments also apply to Stitch?
    Disney characters generally have quite the mass appeal (also more well known with kids than Flintstones) and they obviously have a number of licenses on Disney products. 

For me, I like both of those sets the most out of that group, but I have far more interest in the upcoming round with several sets I desperately want.
    pharmjod
    I get the sense LEGO doesn't want Ideas to become predictable or an internally consistent theme.  In looking at the entire lineup, there are some sets of similar style, but for the most part the sets are readily different.

Stitch is essentially the same as Wall-E.  I suppose that would mean the Flintstones is the most plausible?
    tamamahm said:
    monkyby87 said:

Wouldn’t those same arguments also apply to Stitch?
    Disney characters generally have quite the mass appeal (also more well known with kids than Flintstones) and they obviously have a number of licenses on Disney products. 

For me, I like both of those sets the most out of that group, but I have far more interest in the upcoming round with several sets I desperately want.

I apologize, I forgot about the Stich submission.  You are correct though, and Stitch might also compliment the Wall-E figure nicely.  Though they already made the mini-figure version, so maybe they wouldn't be interested in this version?  I don't know.  I'd support a Flintstones and Stitch, but would prefer Flintstones as there is a little more play value and it's not just a statue, more or less.

When talking about mass appeal, I was referring more to the constant plane and car submissions that we see most every round.

SumoLego
    ^ Agreed. I am always happy to see anything new beyond the basics. 
    Pop up book passed. It's gonna be made. Fantastic news!
    BrickByBrickBaby_Yoda
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 688
    Yes the pop up book was indeed a good idea and it's likely to be reproduced quite differently to the original design in the final product, perhaps with customisation options or just more detail. It would make sense to see that the stories are based on Hans Christian Andersen too of course!
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 797
    There are surprisingly few comments here after the announcement. Usually there'd be loads more.
    BrickByBrick
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,148
    Well, in the past people have been pretty vocal about winning projects they didn't like ;)

Personally I like that this one passed review. It's definitely very clever, and I'm counting on the Lego designer to make it look more interesting.

Some people might also have hoped for more of RobenAnne's seaside buildings to be made into sets, but it was always very unlikely that something from the same series would be selected. (Now also against the updated Ideas guidelines)
    SumoLegopharmjodMr_CrossFizyxsid3windrcatwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    There are also lots of comments on the front page article.

It is nice that something different has been accepted again, but I'm not going to buy it. It is clever that it opens up the way it does but that lasts, what, 60 seconds at most? It is nothing much to look at. The play value is similar to a small creator set and there doesn't appear to be any good parts. If it comes with a nice minifig, I'll buy the parts on B+P or BL.

gmonkey76
    ^ That sums it up well. 
    I just do not find it works well as a display piece, a game, a toy, a vignette, etc.. Yes, it is an interesting mechanism, but meh. It is cool that something new is through, but I would have bought instantly any of the fishing village buildings. 
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 309
    I am underwhelmed by the book and won't be getting it.  Ideas has lost much of its appeal to me of late.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,592
    edited June 2018
    stlux said:
    Well, in the past people have been pretty vocal about winning projects they didn't like ;)
    I think that may be it. I don't like it, but I don't dislike it either. It's a bit different, it's OK, it's meh. A lot of past projects polarise people into love it / hate it and that causes debate. This one doesn't seem to do that.

I'm glad they didn't do the seaside buildings for example. I know a lot of people love them. They are lovely, but they've been done and I am glad they are not doing essentially the same thing again - the audience for the set would be that same. I'm sure he'll be able to make some money from them, by selling his instructions. He already has a great reputation.

The others didn't really have much of a chance, maybe the Jag. So it is not like this project stopped another fan favourite getting made (even though approvals don't actually stop other projects, LEGO can approve two if they want).
    stluxBaby_Yoda
    Most of us are still in the Voltron-honeymoon phase.
    pharmjodricecakeBaby_Yoda
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 492
    SumoLego said:
    Most of us are still in the Voltron-honeymoon phase.
    I have my bags packed and ready for departure.
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 173
    Not necessarily hating on the pop-up book, but I'm losing interest in the IDEAS line.  

Perhaps they should slow the IDEAS factory down and make it an annual release, rather than churning out a new one every quarter or so?  Maybe it was just a weak grouping this time around, but aside from a pipe dream of a line of Fishing Village sets, nothing was particularly noteworthy to me.
    gmonkey76
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,921
    Personally, I don't hate the ideas project because it's a well thought out mechanism and it was very different to anything else that had come out of Billund...that was until the #40291 (creative personalities) reared it's head.
    I know there is no opening mechanism and it is purely a display piece but visually (especially for a gwp) it looks so much more like a believable book than the ideas submission does and unless TLG knock it out of then park with the redesign of the ideas set, #40291 will suffice for me.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    I'll probably get it at some point. I'm a fan of life-size Lego models, although I can't remember if I supported this one or not.
    Have Lego ever hinted at the possibility of going back and looking at older projects to see if circumstances have changed and the set is more plausible to release? I would still ensure a Quest Builder set stays sold out until retirement.
    catwrangler
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,272
    there was an impressive moc with a huge temple popping up the same way, but then that's the same thing, it's not like you'll display it closed, stuck between other books, so having just the temple without the book and pop-up mechanisms would be enough.

in another hand, a pop-up mechanism integrated into a normal playset could work well.
    catwrangler
    Not necessarily hating on the pop-up book, but I'm losing interest in the IDEAS line.  

Perhaps they should slow the IDEAS factory down and make it an annual release, rather than churning out a new one every quarter or so?  Maybe it was just a weak grouping this time around, but aside from a pipe dream of a line of Fishing Village sets, nothing was particularly noteworthy to me.
    I agree with your first part. I think they are trying to encourage truly creative thinking, but tossing a lot of babies out with the bath water. There were so many great submissions with licensing tie-ins.

As for reducing frequency to annual, I think this might kill the whole Ideas concept as the chance of getting selected would be so low that fewer people would submit.
    pharmjod
  • brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    Put me in the meh camp on this one. It's about as interesting to me as the ship in the bottle, in other words: not very. I still love the Ideas line though. One great set every now and then is good enough for me.

Quick question-didn't the pizza restaurant/arcade reach 10k votes? Was it not eligible this time around for some reason? i know it wouldn't have been selected in all likelihood but i'm still curious to know its status.
    MattDawson
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 980
    I think there is such potential for this to be a really great set. I hope the designer and the design team work some magic on it because I can imagine having fun with my kids playing with this set.

No disrespect to the original builders but I think they could have done more with the book covers and the styling of the page edges, would perhaps of benefitted by using some of the 1x2 grille bricks 2877.

I can see why it has been selected, and I'm going to go ahead and predict that the production version will change some peoples' minds.
    pharmjod
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 691
    I'm thinking (and hoping) that the set is getting a significant upgrade from the original Ideas submission. I liked the original submission, and would have gotten it, but something to notice about it is that it does not have a huge number of pieces.  Even accounting for multiple interiors, I don't think it would warrant much more than a pretty small box.  But if you watch the review video, the LEGO designer (Wes Talbott) shows a box that is substantially larger than the one I was expecting to see for the number of pieces that appear to be in the set.  I'm really hoping this means we'll get multiple pop-up inserts, or a larger, more complex book.  Talbott has also done quite a bit of work on the Elves line, which is promising imo, as the theme itself, and the sets that he's worked on, often lend themselves very well to the kind of fantasy storybook theme I would expect from a set like this. 

Anyway, I think it's a little too early to judge right now either way. The key to the design is really the pop-up mechanism and book design.  As long as they keep that, they could build any number of amazing, switchable interiors to fit the design.  I really feel like the submitted project as it is really is just a starting point for where this could go, and where I think the LEGO designer will be trying to push the set to go.
    BumblepantsstluxpharmjodBaby_YodaJern92catwrangler
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 322
    I supported the project and liked it enough to build a replica before it reached 10,000 votes.

I can see it being popular with young (and maybe not as young) readers who have lots of imagination and a bit of building experience to customize it.

I can't wait to see the final design LEGO come up with and hope for 2 or 3 alternate interior builds included.
    pharmjodFizyxstluxAdzbadboy
    edited June 2018
    This set should have a much larger appeal than the maze, also by Jason. That one was also excellent from a creativity perspective. His designs are really great examples of what can be done with LEGO when you really go in different directions. His kinetic approach is fascinating to me. I built his orrery a while back and the gear mechanism on it is incredible. Jason has shared so much with the LEGO community that it's nice to see him get recognition. I'm also happy for the designer he collaborated with.
    FizyxstluxAdzbadboysid3windrM_Bosscatwrangler