Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

General Star Wars Discussion

Comments

• SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 218
    ^Blasphemy! How dare you speak ill of George Lucas in any way!

...how'd I do-were you convinced of my psychosis? In all seriousness, it probably wasn't the first mistake in Star Wars Lucas ever made...and it certainly wasn't the last.
    SumoLego
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    Before SW, Lucas hadn't really dabbled much with sci-fi themes, so there were bound to be mistakes, as no writer is infallible, particularly when working in genres they're not heavily versed in (I know, looking back on some of my works I wrote years ago, I'd be doing some serious rewrites before anyone got a chance to look at them now).

The thing I find more disturbing is some of the attitudes sections of the fanbase had towards Lucas after the release of the PT, things like demanding he step back from SW or hand over all creative control to someone else "more versed" in the SW canon. I found it appalling, as SW was Lucas' creation, it was his universe he allowed us to visit, yet some of the fans were carrying on like that universe belonged to them & unless Lucas did what they wanted, he shouldn't be allowed near it.
    xiahnaBumblepantsSumoLegodatsunrobbieFizyxMegtheCatReesesPieces
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 384
    ^Back to the magazine polys. I don't think the details on Brickset are very good - I don't think there's a piece count, and none of 'em have instructions. Any way to fix that?

BTW, I can send a photo of the instructions for all of 'em up to the Finn. The first half dozen or so were a little disappointing, but it really picked up. The Y-Wing is particularly good, imo.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,568
    edited April 2018
    ^Blasphemy! How dare you speak ill of George Lucas in any way!
    Writers make mistakes - it happens.  And they sometimes write prequel trilogies that will satisfy no one, make a self-appointed fan base mad, but still add to the vast richness of a fantasy world just about unparalleled in modern culture.  The PT was never gping to live up to the OT.  The best result - in the best of circumstances - would have been films on par with Rogue One.  And the fans already predetermined to be critical would only schrug their shoulders.

When folks criticize Lucas, I always look to LotR and think if these were new films 2015, how much criticism would Tolkien take?  Probably the same.  Or nobody would care.

VorpalRyu said:
    I found it appalling, as SW was Lucas' creation, it was his universe he allowed us to visit, yet some of the fans were carrying on like that universe belonged to them & unless Lucas did what they wanted, he shouldn't be allowed near it.
    So what multi-generational multi-billion dollar sci-fi fantasy world did they write?  ...  ...  ....

That's what I thought.

(But I am happy he sold the rights.  I'd happily take all of this SW content - good and bad - than have it locked up in someone's head or mutated into some other non-SW production.  Overall, I've enjoyed the three most recent movies and television shows.)
    VorpalRyuBumblepantsFizyxMegtheCat
    Anyone going to the Belfast Comic-Con tomorrow? Might be a good place to pick up a few interesting pieces, but I've never been to a Con before.

• 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,183
    So... Everyone who complains that almost anything Star Wars is "yet another grey spaceship" WILL be buying #75212 Kessel Run Millennium Falcon, right? ;) 
    VorpalRyu77ncaachamps
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    well, that was a draw for buying Poe's X-wing. I had sets in many colors, but not orange.
    now the reasons to buy the MF...

-overpriced
    -lots of aeration
    -the bottom is ugly
    -the rest is ugly too
    -white must the the 3rd rarest lego color after black and grey

cool minifigs maybe?
    Bumblepantsthe_creative_box
    People have been talking about wanting more Landos
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,703
    edited April 2018
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    Or parsec as a time measurement instead of distance...
    I always figured that Han was referring to distance when bragging about the Kessel run....
    I assumed the same as well.  Along the lines of a clever or experienced pilot could plot a more aggressive course to get to a destination quicker.

But I think Lucas just made a mistake in the script.

Of course Lucas made a mistake. The unbelievably torturous explanation of how Han could use this boast in ANH and have it apply to speed is so awkward and self-contradictory it could only be a mistake.  It's been retconned more than once and has no meaning in intergalactic scale (a parallax second for us here on Earth would be different to that for a Wookie on Tatooine, for instance). Han could have easily used the word 'wuggipebbles' and have made as much sense.

/rant

TheBigLegoski
    Clearly, you meant 'fruitipebbles'... otherwise, I will parsec you ass out of this Forum in record speed.

Where's my Bespin Ice Cream Maker?
    davetheoxygenmangmonkey76BumblepantsMrJacksonToc13
    In defense of Lucas, "parsecs" does sound a little like it's got something to do with seconds. And it's a term that only ever appears in sci-fi, so has no "actual" meaning.

Although I do agree that he maybe should have got a more experienced script writer to help him. Writing can be hard!
    SumoLegoMaffyDTheBigLegoski
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 825
    edited April 2018
    Kaitch said:
    And it's a term that only ever appears in sci-fi, so has no "actual" meaning.

That is... not true.  Parsecs are used all the time in astronomy and astronomical physics.  The distance is defined as roughly 3.26 lightyears, and as @MaffyD points out is a portmanteau of parallax second, (likely) first suggested as a unit of measure in 1913. In simple terms, the measurement is based off of the parallax movement of distant stars with relation to a close star when the earth is on opposite sides of its orbit.  It's used to measure interstellar distances, especially distances between two stars.  (And, as MaffyD also points out, that does mean that it's not a constant measure, and does depend on the stellar orbit from which you are observing.) 

Anyways, just because it's not a relevant measure in the world of Star Wars doesn't mean it has no 'actual' meaning.  That's honestly the whole issue here:  It DOES have actual meaning, and the meaning Lucas used is not it.  Personally, I don't care about the use in Star Wars, but I love astrophysics, so I had to combat the idea that the term doesn't mean anything :)

Followup:  If you want to know EXACTLY what a parsec is, here's the technical definition up until 2015: One parsec corresponds to the distance at which the mean radius of the earth's orbit subtends an angle of one second of arc.  Since I know that clears up exactly nothing, here's a picture that will probably not help either much that illustrates that:
    Image result for parsec

Followup followup:  In 2015 this definition was dropped, and a parsec was redefined as exactly 648000/π AUs, which is basically the same thing, but with less confusing pictures.

Followup followup followup:  Parsecs DO sound like they are related to time if you don't know all that ^^^^^^ drivel I posted, so I don't blame laypeople who aren't in to astronomy things for not knowing that they aren't.  I mean, they SHOULD know, but it's more of a failure of education than a failure on their part, so I don't blame them too much.
    MaffyDToc13ricecakeAddicted2OxygenTheBigLegoskiJudgeChuckWicksy80

Just to be fair, and really because I ranted a bit too much earlier (sorry), I'm absolutely fine with Han using parsec in Star Wars - in my headcanon it just has a different meaning in that galaxy. No biggie. What I hate is the convoluted way various apologists have retconned it so that our definition of parsec fits what Han is saying in a literal fact-based way, rather than just being some random boast by a smuggler to a farm boy. Skirting black holes, computing a shorter distances because the computer is faster? Han wants Luke to be impressed with the processor speed of his navicomp? Can't wait for the scene where that gets established in the new Solo film... although I will have to change my headcanon at that point. :-)

Kudos to @Fizyx for the explanation - I don't really know much about parsecs except that it's relative, and not a unit of time.

@SumoLego - of course I meant fruitipebbles! You can just retcon my previous statement so it makes sense in your head...

Fizyxdmcc0Addicted2OxygenTheBigLegoskiSumoLegoLittleLori
    Skirting closer to the edge of a quantum singularity than any other ship can, shortening the distance to 12 parsecs, because your ship has one of the fastest hyperdrives out there & you are just that good a pilot? That explanation was fine, why any other explanations were needed, I don't understand, it tidied it all up, Lucas' could quit right there & few could fault with it.
    BumblepantsFizyxAddicted2OxygenMaffyDTheBigLegoskiLittleLorixiahna
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,060
    Veering away from the Falcon for a bit.
    I picked up the DJ poly yesterday & put it together. I then noticed that it span around when connected to the previous two.
    The culprit was the grey Technic pin that's used on the second & third in the series, for some reason R3 has a black Technic pin which doesn't allow for spinning (my preference for display purposes)

So- if you want a more solid display piece, you'll want to swap out the pins
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,892
    So if a parsec is 3.26 light years and the Falcon will make "point 5 past light speed", a 12 parsec Kessel run will take just over 26 years at full speed, if my mental arithmetic is correct...how long is the Solo film?
    MaffyDFizyxTheBigLegoskiM_Boss
    "point 5 past light speed" isn't 50% faster than light in Lucas' universe; it means something else. It was explained in one of the many novels, I can't remember which, but the smaller the number, the faster, i.e. .5 is twice as fast as 1 past light speed.
    Fizyx
    You might be thinking of one of the Rogue Squadron novels, I know at least two of them had brief mentions of how hyperdrives worked. If I remember it correctly, each point one passed lightspeed, increased velocity by a factor, I can't quite remember what the factor was, but it was something like this; point one is 2x lightspeed, point two is 2x point one (so 4x lightspeed), etc, etc.
    TheBigLegoskixiahna

Isn't it great that George invented this universe that we all like so much that we sit around and discuss, argue, surmise about how to make the "science" work out? No sarcasm, I mean it! For 40 years I've been thinking about this stuff! :)

bandit778Addicted2OxygenMaffyDTheBigLegoskiLittleLori

^ Wherever .5 is explained, it's probably no longer canon.

@VorpalRyu - did Lucas come up with that explanation, or was it part of the novels written afterwards by someone else? Anyway, Lucas aside, of course navigating in realspace around a black hole surrounded by asteroids is going to be absolutely epic. I cannot wait for that sequence to play out. I don't think the speed of the hyperdrive has anything to do with it though, unless I'm wrong about how realspace travel and hyperdrives are handled in SW (it's not exactly well explained in the wiki, and I've not read any of the books). What I'm cringing about is the possibility of all that asteroid avoiding shenanigans happening, and the screenwriter and director wanting to make absolutely sure we've all got the "less than 12 parsecs" reference. Navigation computer calculations + fast-moving action sequences + retcon justification may not be happy bedfellows.

But I'm getting wildly off topic for a 'collecting' thread - who thinks the Falcon will lose it's cargo in the Maw, and the experience is what gives it the 'weathered' look we know and love today? What about a Maw UCS set? Would be good to see Lego try to imitate "ionizing gases"...

VorpalRyuTheBigLegoski
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 179
    There's enough other science problems with Star Wars that I don't really give a crap about parsecs. It's a fantasy story about space wizards with light swords, to me, the scientific inaccuracies really don' matter.
    VorpalRyugmonkey76MaffyDTheBigLegoskiomniumJohnyk668SumoLegoMr_Cross
    @Fizyx Clearly I was wrong. But if someone with the internet can get that wrong, imagine how much easier it must have been in 1977, when you'd have to look it up in a dictionary or encyclopedia, and hope it was in there.
    FizyxTheBigLegoski
    Kaitch said:
    @Fizyx Clearly I was wrong. But if someone with the internet can get that wrong, imagine how much easier it must have been in 1977, when you'd have to look it up in a dictionary or encyclopedia, and hope it was in there.
    Oh yes, let me be clear, I was in no way judging you or Lucas or anyone.  (Okay, only a little judging! :P )  I just thought it would be interesting to people to have some idea of where a parsec comes from and what it actually is! :)
    TheBigLegoski
    I like learning new things. But I have to confess, I was majorly lost until the diagram. Then only a little lost.
    Fizyx
    Kaitch said:
    I like learning new things. But I have to confess, I was majorly lost until the diagram. Then only a little lost.
    Oh yeah.  I think I am going to start using that definition as an example of one of the least intuitive things I have ever seen, lol.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,410
    Interesting stuff! All I knew about a parsec is that it is 3,26 light-years. Now I get to learn some new (I suppose very rudimentary) things about  astronomy and astronomical physics, and about some more retconning in SW lore etc. Nice!
    I always enjoy looking at our galaxy and beyond at night when the sky is clear and the stars are visible, though in the Netherlands with all the lights everywhere (cities, roads, traffic, greenhouses etc.) what you can see with the naked eye is so limited compared to other places around the world. Still being able to recognize various constellations is fun, and simultaneous being aware how vast the universe is, how long light has travelled from stars that by now in some cases may have already gone supernova to reach our eyes, how tiny our planet is etc., instils both awe and a sense of wonder.
    ps.
    I really really really hope Solo will be if not as good as R1 close to it. As a SW fan I really need a SW film that I can truly enjoy and value (contrary to the 2 Sequel trilogy episodes out). Though I am still cautious, the Solo trailer has revamped my enthusiasm for SW.
    VorpalRyuFizyxBrickByBrick
    So TLG introduced babies in 2016, looking at #75208 I was wondering why TLG did not include a properly sized Yoda in that set?!
    would you like to see TLG do a Yoda version of this baby iniminifig?

http://img.bricklink.com/ItemImage/MN/0/cty668.png
    This figure with green head, and a moulded Yoda head/hairpiece with pointy ears you can attach to it, and a tan body with matching green hands. Or just a one piece moulded Yoda head in this size.
    560HeliportMegtheCatSumoLegoblakusdkFowlerBricks
    Me likey, but they'll have to be careful not to end up with something that's just Rebels 30 years later.
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 218
    ^Honestly my first thought was wondering if characters whose fates were unknown at the end of Rebels will be touched upon.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866

Love the idea.  Not thrilled by the anime animation style - really loved the visuals of the last two series.  But great storytelling trumps all, and Filoni regularly delivers on that front. 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 548
    Solo Movie tickets just been released at Cineworld.. Best part Of Star Wars Day so far..
    omnium
    Yep! I saw the news too over a week ago on:
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-set-for-fall-debut
    "about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order."
    I really don't mind it being in animated in Japanese manga/anime style. Their are plenty of marvellous anime films/series. As long as any and all Lego sets will have 'regular' fun loving adorable sparkly eyes face prints and not the horrid ghastly looking 'clone war' animated style Lego rendition face prints it will all be pretty super, I figure! (Well at least from a Lego set point of view)
    I really loved SW Rebels, and I hope and feel confident Dave Filoni will be able to follow up with something equally good. Though I personally have little appreciation for the sequel trilogy because of the lacklustre story, poor or rather absent character development of lousy new pro- and ant-agonists, and above all the disrespect, distortion, and destruction of the established lore of the original trilogy, this quote of Filoni thrills me with excitement:
     “The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”
    So bring it on!
    B.t.w.
    That yellow, white, and green Star Fighter reminds me of this fun Old Republic set:
    I somehow hope the Rebel crew will make it onto that show too. I am very curious to know what the future holds for Sabine Wren, Hera Syndulla, Chopper, Zeb Orrelius, and if somehow admiral Thrawn and Ezra Bridger survived their space whale ordeal? And what about captain Rex and agent Kallus for that matter?
    Also how about OT characters such as Lando Calrissian, Han Solo, Nien Numb, Chewie, Wedge Antilles etc. all ace pilots?
    Then again maybe it is best if they don't make any guest appearances, or feature as a cameo, if it does not add anything to whatever new story will unfold with new characters about to embark on their own journey!?!

• GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 179
    Those of you sith 75159, what do you think of it as a display piece? I'm considering getting it, but I'm not a big fan of the doll house style.
    @TheBigLegoski In Rogue One, there's a PA request for Captain Syndulla on Yavin, just before Jyn tells Baze and Chirrut the outcome of the planning meeting.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,161
    Gremer said:
    Those of you sith 75159, what do you think of it as a display piece? I'm considering getting it, but I'm not a big fan of the doll house style.
    I had the older version Death Star and while I enjoyed the build and playing with it a bit I didn't care for it as a display. Too big, awkward shape, can't show all the sides at once, kinda ugly. I sold it on and bought other things. If you are not a fan I would suggest buying something you are a fan of instead.
    Gremer
    @Kaitch      
    Yah, I know. Nice how they did that, as well as have Chopper roll a long too at the base on Yavin, and the Ghost also appears multiple times on screen, both docked at the base as well as during the space battle over Scarrif. It is just epic! R1 along with ANH & TESB are my favourite SW films.
    edited May 2018
    ^I missed Chopper and the Ghost. Although, if they were over Scarif, that could well have been it for them.
    I'm still having issues reconciling the function of a 'Resistance', when they are sympathetic to the New Republic.  A Republic that triumphed over the Empire.

Normally one would rebel or resist an authority.

I suppose being referred to as the 'Government' doesn't have that same cachet...
  • Matt89190Matt89190 UKMember Posts: 295
    ^I just took it to mean they were "resisting" the rise of the First Order.

Not that it matters now anyway - they're full-blown rebels.
    SumoLego said:
    I'm still having issues reconciling the function of a 'Resistance', when they are sympathetic to the New Republic.  A Republic that triumphed over the Empire.

I suppose being referred to as the 'Government' doesn't have that same cachet...
    I actually think the Resistance name makes sense, as they seem to be a fighting unit tied to the New Republic, but not entirely under their control, who is fighting against external invaders.  The closest analog I think I could draw would be the French Resistance of WW2, but on a galactic scale.
    ^
    Concerning the 'resistance'.
    All I could think of is 'Allo 'Allo! and the painting of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies stuffed into a sausage.
    Benny
    ^knockwurst sausage. It was always a knockwurst when it was a sausage, so as not to get it confused with the ten Italian salami containing garlic.
    TheBigLegoski
    Herr Flick's nicked knockwurst sausage for which the communist resistance were demanding a ransom, not the other real resistance, you mean, right!? ;-)
    That painting went in and out of sausages for five seaasons
    Fizyx said:
    SumoLego said:
    I actually think the Resistance name makes sense, as they seem to be a fighting unit tied to the New Republic, but not entirely under their control, who is fighting against external invaders.  The closest analog I think I could draw would be the French Resistance of WW2, but on a galactic scale.
    They were resisting an occupying invader.  The New Republic is Leia's government.  Reminds me of that Sprint commercial - stickin' it to yourself?

SumoLego said:
    Fizyx said:
    SumoLego said:
    They were resisting an occupying invader.  The New Republic is Leia's government.  Reminds me of that Sprint commercial - stickin' it to yourself?

Yeah, but the First Order seems to be pretty clearly invading the New Republic, just sayin! 
    SumoLego
    ... which would be the jurisdiction of the Republic Army/Fleet?

(I get that it is immaterial to the plot, but it bothers me that they are shoehorning in a 'merry band of freedom fighters' when the galactic geopolitics don't match.)
    Fizyx