Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Brickset Bonusball Bonanza - benbacardi edition - UK draw 28/04/2018

benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 418
It's that time of the week again! (How does it always come around so fast?!)

A few weeks ago, I seemed to be on a pretty lucky streak when it came to minifigures. I won two of these Bonusball Bonanzas in a row (thanks @snowhitie and @SumoLego!), and a colleague of mine decided that to say thanks for some help I'd given him at work he'd pay me back with a bundle of S18 minifigures (he bought them off eBay: there were four unique figures in the five he bought, and I didn't yet have any of them). I don't have much of a budget and absolutely no storage space, so minifigures are about all I'm able to buy - and they helped bump my little collection up a bit without upsetting my wife ;-)

So my question this week is: what's the luckiest you've been when it comes to Lego?

The prize will be either a S18 Cowboy, or a S15 Faun, unless I can find something else...

The rules: write your answer below and the first 59 entrants will get a number. Please try to avoid double posting until we get 59 entries. This is open worldwide, and the bonus ball from the UK lottery on Saturday night will decide the winner. 
Mr_Crossbandit778stluxCOOLEGOFowlerBricksRenegade007cjhricecakeMAGNINOMINISUMBRAGothamConstructionCoSeijiAmasawasnowhitieLobotLego_StarSirBen

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,026
    The luckiest I have been with LEGO is that my kids also enjoy it. Without that, I wouldn't have nowhere near as much LEGO time.
    MaffyDGothamConstructionCoMr_Cross
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 267
    Found four retired modulars in great condition for relatively decent price. GG, TH, FB and GE for $830 last year.
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 200

Lucky - I suppose the time I ordered 'a set' of the German football minifigs, and the first 5 (or 6) bags I opened were all Mustafi's. That is definitely lucky right...?

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,947
    Got an Elves Queen Dragon Rescue last summer for $2 (97% off!) For my daughter for Christmas. The only thing she really wanted too.
    gmonkey76Mr_CrossSeijiAmasawa
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,494
    I won a Lego raffle on this very site and won a very fantastic Monster Fighters set.
    gmonkey76LobotMr_CrossSeijiAmasawa
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,054
    Winning a bonusball draw on here & getting somethings on my wantlist as the prize. Had much fun building them with my eldest daughter
    gmonkey76snowhitieMr_CrossSeijiAmasawa
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    I found a bunch of MISB modulars for 30 % off 3 years ago.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,349
    Thanks for hosting @benbacardi 

My luck was definitely coming out of the dark ages at the time I needed something to distract my brain and keep my hands busy.  No exaggeration to say that Mixels prevented a lot of self-harming.
    snowhitieToc13Mr_CrossSeijiAmasawa
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,643
    I have to say it was probably trading Deadpool (who I kinda hate) to @SumoLego for the Minecraft Jungle Treehouse.
    SumoLego
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,025
    I've had quite a lot of luck with LEGO.

A few ebay wins over the years, not necessarily where I paid significantly less than the market value of the time either. Just winning a boxed #928, for example, felt very lucky at the time and especially when I look at the current value I do too!

I've also had great charity shop finds, most notably I got a Saturn V for £50!
    Sometimes I think of it as being lucky or whatever, but I think it is more likely just putting yourself in the right place often enough that you occasionally find or win something great.

I also felt extremely lucky that my Wife let me buy the Mega Falcon (MilF) #75192, but I'm actually thinking that the "luck" is elsewhere. I'm lucky to have an understanding wife, the LEGO is a bonus, like sugary sprinkles on top of an already nicely iced cake, with cherries etc. etc.

...my kids like it too. Everything is awesome, as the song goes!

Thanks for hosting!
    FowlerBrickssnowhitieLobotLego_StarSeijiAmasawa
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    edited April 2018
    Probably owning the Deadpool minifig. I had no idea of its worth until I found this forum. Either that or winning a bonus ball here. 
    (EDIT) Speaking of Deadpool, why is he worth so much? I know he’s only in one set, but it was really inexpensive. 
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,799
    Probably on ebay a few years back ('steals' seem few a far between these days). Grabbed some great bargains, but also had some close calls with being outbid at the last moment only to discover the large lot of POTC figs were bootlegs (close call!!)
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 684
    Discovering Brickset around the time I exited my Dark Ages (must be 15 years ago)... helped me catalogue my childhood collection and fuelled the collector bug in me!

Not really lucky, but I did have the foresight to purchase full sealed boxes of the Collectable Minifigure series when they first came out. (They've all been sold now).
    Lego_Star
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    When Lego universe was live they hosted monthly contests. Most involved skill of various degrees to win but I had a monster win streak pulling in sets like Imperial Flagship, and brickbeards revenge. 

@TheLegoMaster35 deadpool has become hugely popular since the new movie was announced. Add in that the single set the figure was in sold pretty badly and you find a very low supply of the figure out there. (Funny how the figure now commands prices higher than the entire set originally did)
    snowhitie
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,846
    I won the bonusball draw here once. That's about the only Lego luck i've had.
    SumoLego
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,612
    I am lucky to have a wife that completely understands and supports my hobby. I am lucky that one of my children really likes Lego. I am lucky to have found this forum. I am lucky I live in a part of the world where Lego is readily available. I'm lucky all over really! Never won a darned thing, but my fortunes on the Brickset Secret Santa have been really great these past two years, so I don't mind in the slightest! Thanks all, and thanks for hosting @benbacardi !
    stluxCovibandit778GothamConstructionCosnowhitiegmonkey76Mr_CrossLego_Star
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    Nothing too exciting, probably a couple good deals on eBay, and having a girlfriend who is really good at feeling the CMF bags and telling what's inside, much more quickly and accurately than I can.
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 479
    edited April 2018
    If found a lot of sets clearanced to $0.03 over the years at Toys'r'Us. I'm going to miss that place!
    SumoLegogmonkey76andhe
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 336
      A couple months ago I bought some parts from Bricks and Pieces including the new cougar. The order was delivered over a month later (I felt lucky that it even showed up) but was missing the cougar. Instead they sent me the picnic blanket from the Mini Cooper. 
      I called Lego. They offered to resend me the cougar and give me some VIP points. The points they gave me covered the cost of the order, which I felt was quite generous.  A week later the cougar arrived. Now the lucky/odd thing, the next day another cougar showed up.
      It was luckier than the B&P order when they mistakenly sent me 20 Red Royal Guard helmets. I still don't know what to do with them all.

Mr_Cross
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    edited April 2018
    My ex (and her lawyer) had zero interest in the LEGO collection as part of our divorce proceedings.  
    SumoLegoCCCFowlerBrickssnowhitiegmonkey76Mr_Crossstarwars4everSalamalexdmcc0
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,239
    edited April 2018
    Not really lucky when it comes to finding Lego deals. However like others I count myself very lucky for having found this forum. When coming out of my DA I checked out many online Lego communities, but this was the only one I felt like participating in. Very pleased I stuck around. Without this place, I doubt I would 
    • Have gone to the Leicester Square Lego Store opening day and be the first person to use the Mosaic Maker
    • Have participated in The LEGO House AFOL testing event
    • Attend one of this year's Inside Tours
    And apart from meeting some of the lovely people on this forum in person, I can also point to pictures @SumoLego posts and tell my wife "there's this guy across the Atlantic who totally spends more money on Lego than I do!" Although I think she's just happy I spend my money on Lego instead of golf.

Thanks for hosting @benbacardi!

If anyone is interested in hosting the bonusball, please get in touch with @snowhitie!
    SumoLegobandit778GothamConstructionCosnowhitieMr_CrossricecakeLego_StarSeijiAmasawa
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 355
    My luckiest was finding the s18 policeman
  • HarrymattpotterHarrymattpotter UKMember Posts: 46
    Found 3 of the of the larger marvel superhero sets (both of the Thor Ragnarok sets and the larger spider-man homecoming set) for ~50% off
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 298
    Lucky that my parents kept all my old LEGO, including my beloved 6080. Also won an auction for around $30 that included several classic space sets. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,652
    It's a toss up for me between finding a bin of monorail tracks and motor at a thrift store for super cheap or nabbing a 28 gallon tub full of Lego for SUPER cheap. 

One of those, or the fact that my wife still encourages me to find/buy Lego. 
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    My luckiest find has been Chrome Darth Vader from the NYC Toy Fair appearing on eBay about 10 months after the Toy Fair.  This was the sweet spot between the immediate demand with the event and long term appreciation.  And this was before prices for the event exclusives went crazy.  Picked up a few for $25 each.  Definitely one of my favorite minifigs. :)
    FowlerBricks
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 218
    I won 3 bonusballs in a span of 4 months.
    snowhitieSumoLego
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,096
    No bonusball wins but have scored many deals over the years. A carsousel for $600 off Craiglist. Making friends with a gentleman that later sold me his pristine Airport shuttle. Three free Arkham Asylums from an ordering snafu. A free Grand Emporium from a Lego show participation. So I've done alright.
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    edited April 2018
    bought a tantive iv off of eBay,  seller had it listed for $50 buy it now,  it was listed as incomplete and missing a bunch of pieces. when i got It i did an inventory and all the pieces were there and to top it all off it I opened one of the side play areas where the figures go and the captain Antilles and a smooth hair Leia were In there. 
    Bumblepants
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 555
    Finding local fans and joining a LUG!
  • BricklunchBricklunch UKMember Posts: 21

Bought a box of Lego off Ebay and it contained all the minifigures from the original Death Star 10188. The luck being it was cheap, I didn't know they were in there and I already had a cheap 10188 that came without minifigures. Thanks universe!.

andhe
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 637
    Bought 3 Minecraft sets for the price of $10 less than the cheapest one from a Facebook Yard sale
    FowlerBricks
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 218
    Probably getting a mid-sized Chima set (can't remember which one off the top of my head) for £1 in B&M last year - especially lucky as I went in with no intention of purchasing any Lego whatsoever!
    FowlerBricks
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,360
    I won #75022 on eBay a few years ago. RRP £25, got it for £10 posted MISB. It arrived wrapped in brown paper and crushed flat. Seller refunded me 50%. Threw the box away!

The other win was also on eBay. #9516 Jabbas Palace for £45, it had been opened and built and they'd lost Leai's bounty hunter helmet and a couple of other pieces. Nothing that a visit to Bricklink wouldn't sort. Two weeks after it arrived and I'd built it, a jiffy bag turned up with all the missing pieces and the helmet that had turned up in a box of other sets. Result.

Cheers for hosting
    LobotMr_Cross
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,878
    I'm going the sappy route too, I'm so glad to have Lego in my life. It's helped PTSS and depression things and it led to Brickset and the forum where I've met some wonderful people that have turned into good friends.

bandit778Mr_CrossTheOriginalSimonBMaffyDSumoLegostluxLego_StarSeijiAmasawa
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 946

Finding 3 x #75017 Duel on Geonosis @ 75% off at my local Tesco...

Or getting used/mint #4866 Knight Bus, #4840 Burrow & #4738 Hagrid's Hut for £60!

Mr_CrossLego_StarSeijiAmasawa
  • hmnicollhmnicoll Member Posts: 65
    I found a Mr Gold by the feeling method, and then a policeman this year. 
    Lego_StarFowlerBricks
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 484
    Found loads of great job lots, but probably the best was three years ago getting a couple of crates worth of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and other stuff for £32.50. Loads of missing pieces, but loads of rare minifigs and useful parts.
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 271
    I went into EB Games to see if they had an extra Silver Centurion that I could buy, but ended up being given one for free...
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 914
    I'm lucky I live in Switzerland now so can't be tempted by the great offers in all the UK shops. I bought so much previously just because the offer was too good and not because I wanted it, who can refuse discounted Lego hey?
    FowlerBricks
  • LittleLoriLittleLori CanadaMember Posts: 144
    I am lucky the my husband bought us the haunted house when it came and my family is willing to build it with me each Hallowe’en.

thanks for hosting with this clever question!
  • thebeermonkeythebeermonkey GlasgowMember Posts: 390
    I once won the bonus ball on here.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,338
    The luckiest I have been was winning the contest for the Lego House Aquarium and 6 brick poly by guessing a number between 1 and 915,103,765 and getting the closest number.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 461
    Winning the bonus ball drawing!
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    edited April 2018
    I think the luckiest I've been is finding the forum and the special lovely friendly people that are right here. You know who you are! :o)
    MaffyD
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 285
    Winning the bonus ball on here