Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO #10261 Roller Coaster

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,249
edited April 2018 in Collecting
Here’s a better image, over 4000 pieces!

{Image deleted as per https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/6642/our-policy-on-unreleased-product-images#latest}

davetheoxygenmangratefulnatthedingman5SeanTheCollectorDaraghRogerKirkSpaceship11bandit778FizyxM_BossFowlerBricksYodaliciouskiki180703

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    Looks good. Will need like 3 to do a proper one :)
    Fizyxmithridate
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 661
    Here's some links hosted on another site.  Posted them below, but since we have a thread now, I'll post them here too :)

Front of box

Piece inventory on side of box
    msandersmadforLEGO1265FowlerBricksmithridatekiki180703
  • mh3490mh3490 NW Indiana Member Posts: 315
    Day one buy for me 
  • AwesomenessAwesomeness OhioMember Posts: 183
    Yup, I will have to buy 2 or 3 to make a great size roller coaster. Lego always taking my money.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 296
    I'll get it either on sale or when I can get double VIP points, but I will 100% be getting this.
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 183
    This is a fantastic set! I can already see how it looks next to my Ferris Wheel!
  • dolphins79dolphins79 Member Posts: 29
    Will the coaster travel all the way to the bottom on its own? 
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 167
    Given space issues, this is a hard pass for me.

But, I'm pumped to see the MODs/MOCs people come up with!
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 265
    This is THE question.
    To travel, or not to travel...
    Currently unknown... but I think most of us would be pretty shocked if it didn't.  (Or if there wasn't a mechanical solution tied into the crank if it needed more help to get by certain spots.)  I can't imagine them releasing a set of this scale and NOT getting something that elementary right. 
    Bumblepantssid3windr
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    Has anyone made an attempt to connect flex tubes to the regular track to make freestyle sections? Would potentially allow for a loop to be created if you could get it where the cars would transition smoothly.
    Mr_CrossOnebricktoomanyGoldchains
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    If it has a mechanism to carry itself to the top on its own, of course it will!

Looks like it also uses a Brickheadz pair of glasses.
    Onebricktoomany
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 585
    Wow....i'm all over this thing
    Onebricktoomanylegomental
    Most roller coasters work on that principle there is the lift hill and then gravity does the rest til the finish of the ride 
    OnebricktoomanyYodalicious
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 832
    edited April 2018
    Just eyeballing it - and having played enough Rollercoaster Tycoon over the last 20 years - I'd be confident that it'll travel by itself after the lift hill.  It's going to be a pretty short ride though - definitely looking forward to seeing enterprising people put a few together to make some bigger runs!
    SumoLegodmcc0mak0137OnebricktoomanyYodaliciousFollowsCloselyGoldchains
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2018
    ^I disagree... I think the Castle Dragon ride at LEGOLand Windsor is shorter than that! ;-)

This is going to be a definite buy for me at some point. Heaven knows where I'll put it, but that's a minor concern. ;-)
    Onebricktoomany
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 893
    edited April 2018
    Regarding the question about whether the rollercoaster will get all the way to the bottom. On the very top of the track after the big climb (top right side of the rollercoaster), it looks like there are 3 wheels positioned around the corner. Do you think these wheels will give the coaster the additional momentum around the first top curve? The wheels would touch the side of the coaster to push it around and give the momentum. 

It will be interesting how they have incorporated this as part of the mechanism to get coaster up the incline (and with the power functions). If you look closely you can see some technic cogs close to the first wheel, continuing from the top of the rollercoaster. Its possible that there is another long technic axle (black) continuing from there to the other 2 wheels (there are definitely some more cogs and technic assemblies around the wheels at the top).
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,029
    Cannot wait!  Along with the creator 3 in 1 pirate rollercoaster which I think will act as the "kiddy" rollercoaster. 
  • drlmiles1drlmiles1 UKMember Posts: 176
    Has anyone noticed a new rollercoaster part that isn't in the Joker Msansion set - a steep incline part that was needed to get a rapid rise
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    Yes, this seems to be the only set that piece is in, so far. The part was leaked a month or so ago.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 779
    ^ That literally (and I mean literally) made me laugh out loud! Fortunately, no one else was in the room, so I didn't have to explain. 
    AstrobricksMuftak1
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    SumoLego said:
    Fizyx said:
    I can't imagine them releasing a set of this scale and NOT getting something that elementary right.  
    I disagree.  The hyperdrive doesn't work on my Millennium Falcon.
    To be fair, that is frequently a characteristic of the MF :)
    It could almost be considered a feature at this point =D
    Astrobricks
  • leetshoeleetshoe USAMember Posts: 252
    l don't think l've been this excited for a set for a while. Both coasters look great.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 482
    So what do the cars run on? Little wheels or ball bearings? Will extra mass help or hinder a complete circuit under gravity?
    Theoretically more mass should help 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    I wonder if someone will work out the optimum weight? I suspect a few kg might be too much...
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 893
    edited April 2018
    On the homepage now. Looks amazing! Pricey though....£300. Better pricing in Europe.

Extra features with Lego Boost. 

As I suspected there are 3 tyres at the top which likely help give the momentum to the coaster before the first descent.   
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 956
    It's really cool. There's a couple of videos of it in action here. I don't think I'm going to be able to afford it though.
    I know there were questions about how it was going to get around the small turnaround at the top of the hill (like would it be under power etc.) and I have to say, the linked gears/tire solution up at the top looks like a pretty interesting solution!
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    Being unlicensed 'n' all, I was really expecting it to be about £169.99, doh!
    legomental
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    @paul_merton With 1500 pieces more than the 2 prior fairground sets, it being the same price as those was never a realistic prospect ;)
    sid3windrmsandersAanchirbgl_84FizyxMuftak1Goldchains
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 690
    edited April 2018
    stlux said:
    @paul_merton With 1500 pieces more than the 2 prior fairground sets, it being the same price as those was never a realistic prospect ;)
    We'll have none of your logical thinking on this forum! ;-)
    M_BossmsandersTheBigLegoskigmonkey76BrainsluggedGoldchainsFollowsCloselyJern92
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,233
    Being unlicensed 'n' all, I was really expecting it to be about £169.99, doh!
    You must be joking - over 4K elements, many of them big.... Wishful thinking, I fear!
    stluxAanchirbgl_84FizyxMuftak1Goldchains
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,338
    Anyone know how many studs long and wide this is? I may need to enlarge my house fairground city office to integrate this...
    Onebricktoomanybricktuary
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 183
    It's an astonishing 48 x 110 studs I heard somewhere!
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 741
    This looks fabulous. I don't see me buying it. But it still looks great. I look forward to seeing it in the store.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,140
    @sid3windr Didn't see a confirmation, but using on of the online converters 88x41 cm should be 110x51 studs.
    sid3windr
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,338
    Yeah, I found the non-stud sizes in the meanwhile. That's never gonna fit.. :(
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Darn it! Looks like I’m headed to the LEGO store just a few weeks too early.
    SumoLego
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,904
    I'vs got nowhere to put the Falcon, so even though it looks great and I would like it, with a footprint that large there is no point in even thinking about picking this up as It just wont fit anywhere.
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,288
    Now that is a roller coaster!
    Okay I have seen video's of MOCs in the past with custom non-Lego Lego compatible elements that dwarf it and also included a looping, but as an official Lego set it looks pretty epic to me. Though next to its price, its footprint is also huge, and I have no idea where to put that set. Still, I would love to own it.
    Btw that minifig that is about to puke is hilarious.
  • gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 265
    My wallet will lose weight on day 1 availability.
    So excited!!
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 194
    So, who's going to be the first one to complain about the repetitiveness and quantity of the chain link pieces. That'll probably break the record for the most of the same piece in any one set!

But wow, so looking forward to this set - been looking forward to it for about the past 20 years ever since seeing the K'nex one in toy shop windows! The price isn't too eye-watering to me - I was expecting £250 to £300. Just got to do some saving now!
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 303
    I've heard people mention the puking mini-figure, but it's not brand new.  The Scrambler set had one.  I'm not sure if that's the first time even.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 165
    Although not shown on any of the still pictures,  the "Queasy Man / Chunder" head from Fairground Mixer is definitely included on at least one of these figures.   The minifig with the gray zip-up jacket has the reverse face for the "queasy" face.
    sid3windr
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    :)
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 313
    He's in the Carousel as well as #31063.  I'm pretty sure we had him in the Build-a-Minifigure tower at the store at one point. So, not super rare. He's also available on Bricks and Pieces at 28 cents a pop.

I really dig the new Coaster as well as the new Pirates 3-in-1. However, I simply don't have the cubic footage for this one, and if it were between this or several modulars, I'd go with the modulars. I suppose I could replace my old Century Skyway with this but then Brickadelphia would lose its airport. Unfortunately, there's no good way to make it smaller - even the 3-in-1 has a decent-sized footprint. And honestly, I think I prefer the 3-in-1...not to take anything away from this as it's suitably bulky, but if the Wildwood Boardwalk ride was what Lego was going for with the Pirate one, I think they totally nailed it. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing it built next time I go visit my old coworkers at Lego. 
    sid3windrandheFarmer_John